How would you feel if the erased universes/fighters are NOT brought back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

How would you feel if the erased universes/fighters are NOT brought back?

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Most expect the SDBs to be used to wish everyone back or maybe Goku convinces Zeno to reverse his erasure. However let's say Super Shenron is unable to bring anyone back and Zeno flat out refuses. Would that make this arc more or less memorable for you? Would you enjoy that ending or would it bother you?

In this scenario u7 wins and is only left with the 4 exempt universes

precita
Banned

Re: How would you feel if the erased universes/fighters are NOT brought back?

Post by precita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Well in terms of story potential it severely limits things. They put a lot of work into U6 in particular and its characters (specifically Hit, Caulifa and Kale) that I would be surprised if we never saw them again.

As said it would only be 4 remaining universes then. And besides that it's too mean spirited for Dragonball. If it were only the 10 fighters and their God/Kai erased it would be one thing, but it's also trillions of lives in their universes that are erased too for no good reason. Trillions of innocent lives lost just because two baby-like Gods have nothing better to do. That's kind of evil.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 pm

It be likely, Very Likely a Series and Franchise killer for me. :thumbdown:

I get their should be consequences more in DB and not all things should just comeback with the Dragon Balls, but this is one of the only times I would say no to that concept. The reasoning for the Universe erasing, even the Manga reason is Aristocratic and selfish by the air-headed Zeno's, so I can't ever get behind any of the Universes staying dead cause the reasoning are just so terrible.

You also waste one of the Biggest Losts of characters and world building potentials ever made and just say we will not ever see it again cause to either show consequences or that Toei just wants to stay with U7 only for all time now........It just seems like regression on an epicly bad level.

Worst of all It would make DB beyond dark and depressing for our U7 Heroes to know Trillions of Lives are now dead and the only reason they are not was cause they could punch harder then the rest. I don't know where you go from that!? :crazy:

I heard an idea that the Gods would just make the U7 members forget them or the events of the other universes, but that just make it worst.

Unless they comeback or we have an arc of them trying to bring them back, I would find this the worst creative choose for Toei and the DB Franchise ever. :cry: :thumbdown:

P.S AKA IMPORTANT NOTE ~~~~~ This Goes WAY Beyond me wanting My Universe 2 Back, it goes into a Story and Franchise narrative in world and character build that IMO is Very Important now that Toei has introduced it into Super. I get making consequences, but this is not the time or story moment to do that, trying to put the genie back in the bottle and have just U7 alone with the other 4 none defined universes next to them would be a Level of Wicked Waste I have not seen before or in a longtime Narrative and Franchise wise.
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 pm

I would be perfectly fine with that.

All the universes got their last hoorah, even though some of them were better than others. I think it would have a really good emotional effect on the characters moving forward and would actually provide some consequences for their endless victories.

If they did bring back the other universes, then that would only serve to further my dis-taste of this arc narratively.

In my opinion, more people would be dissuaded from the show if they went with the predictable ending, than if they went with the grimmer option. However, I think if the other universes do stay erased, I think it would be important for them to demonstrate the effect that has had on our heroes. After all, destroying several other universes, even inadvertently, is sure to wiegh heavily on our protagonists shoulders, espicially since universes that had actually interacted with our main cast were also annihilated.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Such. A. Waste!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:00 am

Frankly it would taint the entire franchise for me. There's no way I could ever support Goku and co or find them sympathetic again knowing they had a hand in it. And it's a terrible note to end an arc. "Central authority committing genocide on those they deem inferior is fine because there's nothing you can do about it! Keep your head down, be compliant and you might be spared." Screw that noise.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:28 am

It's not as though Toei provided much in terms of development for these new faces. Many of them can be summed up as a cackling cacophony of thugs and brutes who seem to be dull when it comes to appreciating what the stakes are for this tournament. A great number of the rest barely qualify as one-note disposables. Some like Ribrianne and Katopesla have humour oriented gimmicks with little dimension to them beyond whatever superficial attitudes they may show to the rest of the world. Why should we appreciate any of them when there's so little to go on? Sure, you might say that opportunities should be given for them to grow as characters, but I recall how we've yet to explore the societal inner workings of Universe 6 when it was the original alternate universe presented for us as viewers to see close to two years ago. Plus, some of the scenes like Universe 2's send-off with the raffish display of proverbial hollow neon signs saying "love" as their collective humanity banners lock-step in solidarity without variation or distinct individual interpretation of the erasure did not give me a very good impression of that universe.

The rare gems of the tournament like Obuni aren't enough to make me feel inclined to salvage some of these groups. If any universe was going to be saved then I would hope for it to be Universe 6 as so much in the way of future prospects and potential visitations have been laid out both in Champa arc and this one. Most of the rest can disappear. We still have four untapped universes, not to mention the Makai and angeldom to explore.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 am

I don't really care - aside from Hit, maybe - but I do agree with the site's biggest Ribrianne fanboy that it doesn't really make sense, narration wise. Universe 6 has had a decent chunk of episodes showing off its characters, and it makes little sense to make so much noise over the female saiyans only to wipe them out from existence. It'd be a jerk move for fans of those characters.

Unless, of course, the writers took note of the negative reception of Ribrianne and Caulifla. But then again, anywhere I go in boards requesting DB FighterZ DLC, Kefla is a hugely requested character. Ribrianne also gets quite a few requests (though I'm not sure whether those people really like the character or just want to troll the fandom by beating Vegeta with the love maiden).

I'd like the Universes to be brought back - or better yet, have them joined with U7. So many team-ups and future rivalries can be made with those characters - the possibilities are endless.

And frankly, I consider all non-U6 universes far more interesting than U6 itself, considering that U6 looks like a fan-made universe while U9, U4, U2, U3 and U10 look far more unique and original.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am

Nickolaidas wrote:I don't really care - aside from Hit, maybe - but I do agree with the site's biggest Ribrianne fanboy that it doesn't really make sense, narration wise. Universe 6 has had a decent chunk of episodes showing off its characters, and it makes little sense to make so much noise over the female saiyans only to wipe them out from existence. It'd be a jerk move for fans of those characters.

Unless, of course, the writers took note of the negative reception of Ribrianne and Caulifla. But then again, anywhere I go in boards requesting DB FighterZ DLC, Kefla is a hugely requested character. Ribrianne also gets quite a few requests (though I'm not sure whether those people really like the character or just want to troll the fandom by beating Vegeta with the love maiden).

I'd like the Universes to be brought back - or better yet, have them joined with U7. So many team-ups and future rivalries can be made with those characters - the possibilities are endless.

And frankly, I consider all non-U6 universes far more interesting than U6 itself, considering that U6 looks like a fan-made universe while U9, U4, U2, U3 and U10 look far more unique and original.
Like I keep saying, their is an Up-sure, small but growing of Ribrianne and U2 fandom on the net that goes un-noticed to often and the net spends to much time on the squeaky wheel's of the dislikes. So any Requests for Ribrianne in FighterZ does not surprise me, so one can indeed call it a genuine fandom request Nickolaidas! ;)

I think it would be a Major Wicked Wasted, Darken the Series and overall make no sense narrative wise, almost wasting all those potential characters writers worked so hard just to be told they go POOF, it just make most of the ToP and the time we spend their a waste. :?

But the major point is that each of these characters from these universes should have the opportunities that U7 characters have had to have time to grow and develop, OUTSIDE of the Combat, Tournament and Run-up episodes to the ToP. It would do a great service for their characters to be developed outside of the ToP setting cause I feel that had allot to do with some of the dislike for some of the characters. Fans are always more overly easy to get excited or impatient when it comes to competitions and tournaments with their favorites, so it leads to more likely reactions of dislike if a character does not fully fit into how a fan feels a Tournament foe for their favorite U7 character should be going up against.

In more slice of life and world building arc episodes I think many of us will switch gears towards that style of storytelling and it will allow these new characters time to build themselves up on a personal level with fans and some may start to understand them more without the stress of a tournament to get in the way. It would also add importance and understanding to their showings in the ToP as well since after some episodes of character development we then understand them better and get some reveals on them so with that then we could go back to the ToP, see them and say "Now I get this and Now I get that better".

It is a goldmine of good world-building material that would keep Super busy, interesting and varied for a longtime. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Trunks' timeline was completely erased so there's no guarantee that they'll be back. Another thing that could happen is Zeno just giving them the option to bring back 1 or even half the universes. I've been very hard on this arc but that's the kind of thing that'll improve it in a major way so hopefully that's how it ends.

If it's any of those 4 I think it'll be a great ending cause not only will it make the tournament have an impact on everything and show that Toriyama is willing to make hard decisions but also put an end to the whole "DB being set before EOZ means it's predictable and nothing has consequences"
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 pm

I would fucking hated, i mean, all these characters introduced (some of them fan favourites) gone? Hell no. I could accept it temporarily but not forever.

Bringing backk all the universes but fusing them with U7 would be a good idea giving the series more potential to span more stories. Leaving the universes erased so the characters can focus on trying to fix this problem in another arc would also be good on my book.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Super disappointed because wow that'd be two downer endings two arcs in a row and would cause me to wonder if Toriyama himself is in a bad place in his life right now.

I'd also really miss losing out on that Planet Salad trip. If it's gone forever that means that arc won't ever happen.
I'd also miss the prospect of Uni 2 shenanigans via 17, 18, and Gokû.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 pm

It would be the worst case of wasting lore and potential world-building in all of Dragon Ball. And that is really saying something. I'd resent Dragon Ball Super if it went down this direction.

You get away with erasing Future Trunks timeline because that ultimately doesn't effect the story of the main cast. But these are entire universes that the story hasn't even scratched the bottom of the surface with. But the fact that four universes were deliberately left out of this tournament, makes me think that Toriyama had the universes involved in the Tournament Of Power as the disposable ones.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:49 pm

I would be speechless about the wasted potential.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Wouldn't care because they haven't given me a reason to care. They've already wasted these characters as it is.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 pm

I really wouldn’t care tbh. The goodbyes all seemed decry final, especially U2. We still have 4 universes to work with

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:39 pm

This would be very sad, as the ToP brought 2 of my favorite characters from the entire franchise [the saiyan girls]

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29 am

ToshioWrites wrote:Most expect the SDBs to be used to wish everyone back or maybe Goku convinces Zeno to reverse his erasure. However let's say Super Shenron is unable to bring anyone back and Zeno flat out refuses. Would that make this arc more or less memorable for you? Would you enjoy that ending or would it bother you?

In this scenario u7 wins and is only left with the 4 exempt universes
If NO universes get brought back, i would find that unfortunate and will ruin the arc for me somewhat. If only certain universes get brought back (e.g. 6, 2) I think that is the right mix of grimy consequences while keeping beloved characters, and some decency in the arc. If ALL universes are brought back, i think that is a bit of a cop out.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 am

I've gone into this tournament fully expecting most, if not all, of the erased universes/ fighters to be restored at the end, so them not being restored would be a pretty big revolution for me. It'd be one of those moments where I sit back and say "wow, this tournament was serious".

I'd be pretty disappointed as I'd like to see more of some of them, particularly universes 2, 6 and 11.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:39 am

Legitimacy disappointed, I'd say. When people express a desire for the show to regain some of it's seriousness, I'm pretty sure this is not what the majority mean. It'd depend on how they all act afterward, but I'd have a hard time looking at the main cast with the same eyes again. I think they might be taking the "they're not heroes" bit a little too far then.