"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:06 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:https://www.evernote.com/shard/s742/sh/ ... 8f9d65a14e

Here's an interview with the developers on DBFZ.
There's also part 2 - https://www.evernote.com/shard/s742/sh/ ... b18428a2fc
4Gamer:
With that said, there are a lot of aspects to consider in this game's system. People wonder if this won't confuse new players.

Mysterious Maskman No.1:
Of course, but that goes not only to beginners, but even veterans not used to the 3on3 format. At first, they won't be able to make full use of character switching and assists. That's why I think players should just go and press these buttons first, as they'll slowly get used to them. There are no complicated mechanics in this game where you feel like, if you don't use them, you won't be able to fight or won't be fun to.
That's why I think it was important for this game to not be limited to just 3 vs 3.
Besides gameplay variety, 1 vs 1 would allow newcomers to get used to the controls first instead of being thrown right away into a 3 vs 3 battle.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: That's why I think it was important for this game to not be limited to just 3 vs 3.
Besides gameplay variety, 1 vs 1 would allow newcomers to get used to the controls first instead of being thrown right away into a 3 vs 3 battle.
You know, I really think that, unlike MvC3, DBFighterZ does not rely on assists and group attacks that much. And besides, the mechanics are there - when one fighter is standing on either side, it's basically a 1 on 1 fighting game. So why not give us the option? Personally, I'd like that.

But I don't really mind tag-team fighting games - it's the crossover that make no sense in lore and power scaling bullshit that puts me off (X-Men vs SF, MvC, DC vs MK, etc). Seeing Doctor Doom fighting Phoenix Wright ... it's just ... ugh.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:08 am

So Bandai had a FighterZ Top 8 tournament stream an hour ago. After the tourney, they showed an exhibition match showing off the latest new characters and some dramatic scenes: https://youtu.be/ZSGPLSJxz6g?t=56m47s

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 am

EA575 wrote:So Bandai had a FighterZ Top 8 tournament stream an hour ago. After the tourney, they showed an exhibition match showing off the latest new characters and some dramatic scenes: https://youtu.be/ZSGPLSJxz6g?t=56m47s
NIIIICE!! Gonna watch right now!

*leaves*

EDIT 1: And it's confirmed. In order to see the Goku turns SSJ for the first time scene, you have to pick Frieza and Goku as leaders, without Krillin in the team.

EDIT 2: HOLY CRAP - THE SUPER CHARACTERS ARE AWESOME!!

EDIT 3: HOLY CRAP NINE THOUSAND - GOKU BEATING FRIEZA IN THE END ... GOKU'S LOOK ... I NEED ... I NEED !!! IWANNA HAVE THIS GAME!! I WANNA! I WANNA WANNA WANNA WANNA WANNA!!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 am

Beerus straight up deleted Black with Hakai. I'm so hype.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 am

Ah, so that's the context for the cinematic opening. I wonder if they're map specific as well.

Damn, this game looks so good. I almost wish they didn't have to include Goku and Freeza in that exhibition since it was the first time really seeing the new characters in action, Gotenks included. Beerus looked brutal. Hit didn't get to do much unfortunately.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 am

I was really concerned Beerus was going to be a pretty boring by-the-books character, but damn they made him cool. He looks hard to play as, so that should balance his stats nicely. That Hakai is one of the hypest things I've ever seen in a DB game. He literally erased Black! Well done, well done.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:21 am

Wow, I loved that they included these anime scenes that can be unlocked in battle by meeting certain conditions, Goku finishing Freeza was spetacular
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:11 am

About the interview, I empathise with their goal of making a "bridge game" for casual and serious fighting game players. I don't mind auto-combos and that sort of accessibility. However the reasoning for not having two set of controls like Guilty Gear is mildly infuriating. There's this trend of taking players by the hand and not making them upset because they can't handle failure.

If this game is successful with the type of player: who doesn't play fighting games because they don't want to learn, rather they want to blame luck and everything else but themselves; these simplifications are going to be secondary. This game being beautiful will be the main reason they stick with it.

Regarding the gameplay, I'm loving Beerus he's climbing my list of characters I want to try first. I wasn't too impressed with Goku Black his playstyle seems rather unimpressive, he's has some flashy and pretty supers that's about it. Hit and Gotenks weren't shown enough for me to form an opinion.
Shame how the gameplay was blatantly scripted.

The dramatic start/finishes are perfectly fine if they don't happen mid-fight and if you can skip them. I really thought Goku turning SSJ need a much bigger set up: Kuririn being killed by Freeza while having SSJ Goku in the team who hasn't entered the field yet.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Now that's a well scripted fight! Just a shame we didn't get more of Hit and we still didn't see properly how Ultimate Gohan buffs work.
I don't think I can love Black's moveset more than I do. They gave me everything I wanted.

Those dramatic scenes are godly!!! :shock:
They even put Goku's sad face after he blasts Freeza:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I feel a lot of love put into this game. Props to all the staff! You have my money.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Beerus gives me Venom vibes from Guilty gear with how he plays with his pool balls, here beerus with his orbs ( Something Menat from SF wish could be).
Hit has a command dash like Slayer from guilty gear and Goku Black is hype as hell. Gotenks is cool too.

I can't wait to see what they can do with characters who have a unique moveset such as Meta Cooler, Merged Zamasu, Vegetto, Janemba, Pikkon, Yi Xing Long, Super 17, Broly, Kid Goku and Muten Roshi. Super characters such as Kefla and Ribrianne have a moveset that is needed to be in the game (i.e plentiful enough, Have caulifa/kale normals be part of her tools), too early to say about Jiren and Toppo however.

My team thus far is Beerus, Mystic Gohan and Piccolo.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:00 pm

The new batch, especially Beerus, Gotenks and Hit offer a variety of mixup and hit properties that makes them balanced. They can get room easily but aren`t necessarily weak coming up close.

Man, my main team is going to have fun days trying them out: Hit, Beerus, Yamcha, Majin or Gotenks and Tenshinhan+Chiatzu mostly. I`m not the biggest fan of TSF (not a particular hater either) but can we just have some cinematic with cat loves food yeah yeah with Beerus and Yamcha? Or Beerus happily screaming Yamcha`s name or Yamcha patting him in the back after a particular hiting combo?

Please, Santa.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5JPigzYwgI

Holy crap, Beerus really does hakai Goku Black at 2:42. xD
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Those 8 matches were somehow fun to watch. Some of them clearly didn't know what they were doing :lol:
I'm so excited to watch a pro tournament. Please, Bandai, EVO is almost here
Olympian wrote:can we just have some cinematic with cat loves food yeah yeah with Beerus and Yamcha?
I don't think anyone in ArcSys knows about such specific dub line

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 pm

I can't believe Radditz didn't make it in. The roster feels like it's missing someone.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:14 pm

TheDBZmaster100 wrote: I can't wait to see what they can do with characters who have a unique moveset such as Meta Cooler, Merged Zamasu, Vegetto, Janemba, Pikkon, Yi Xing Long, Super 17, Broly, Kid Goku and Muten Roshi. Super characters such as Kefla and Ribrianne have a moveset that is needed to be in the game (i.e plentiful enough, Have caulifa/kale normals be part of her tools), too early to say about Jiren and Toppo however.
It's true that we haven't seen much from Toppo yet, but he looks like he has quite a few grappling moves, which is something this game doesn't have a lot of, I think. I wanted Recoome for that reason, it's a shame that he is part of Ginyu's moveset. Oh well, the game still looks great.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:35 pm

precita wrote:I can't believe Radditz didn't make it in. The roster feels like it's missing someone.
Raditz is trash, the only one missing in this roster is Broly.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Noah wrote:
precita wrote:I can't believe Radditz didn't make it in. The roster feels like it's missing someone.
Raditz is trash, the only one missing in this roster is Broly.
I hope he will be in DLC, good way to make money too.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:58 pm

BrolyKale wrote:I hope he will be in DLC, good way to make money too.
We could assume that too, but he's a character who deserves to be in the main roster IMO
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Reminder: it's not likely, but still possible that more characters could be announced in the next V-Jump issue, which will release next month BEFORE the game's launch. Don't really count on it, but also don't lose all of your hopes. At least, we'll have some new chart or a whole new promo

I've been asking to myself after rewatching the dramatic finish. What would happen if Goku (SSJ, not Blue) defeats Freeza while he's Golden Freeza? Will the cutscene runs normally? Will Freeza's model return back to normal?