Season Four set arrives 2/19/2008

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:See? Their new venture into cropville isn't all THAT bad.
It is if you don't watch the show on a TV.
-Rachel

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Maybe I could let the cropping go if there weren’t so many visual glitches like those disappearing lines every time anything shakes.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Uh yeah that's true, but as I said, most people watched it on TV. It's not like you watched everything on DVD on your comp. Even the fansubs that you download online, where do you think the picture comes from? 4:3 TV because those people don't have access to a DVD for the image. So yeah.

Yeah those vanishing lines absolutely suck, I gotta agree.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 pm

I wonder if the Funi crew will be revising dialogue on these few sagas too. There are some fairly stupid lines amongst these episodes. But then again if they let most of the Frieza saga S.D.A's slide there isn't much hope for the slightly better Garlic Jr. Saga and Android Saga.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:58 pm

Those Sagas weren't that bad. Besides, I don't think they want to change up what people are used to. I think that Vegeta's voice is now inconsistent with the rest of the series though lol Up until the Great Saiyaman Saga, Vegeta's voice wasn't as deep as it was in the Majin Buu Saga and then in GT, and it came off as he matured. Now, in the Vegeta Saga, Ginyu Saga, and Frieza Saga, he has a deep voice. They probably won't revise the next set's voices (since Chris Sabat got a hold on Vegeta's voice around that time) so it will be inconsistent. BEST change though, is when he did the whole, "if there's anything I've learned from this whole ordeal, it's that I'm a fricken genius." Loved that line.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:31 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Wow...I don't even want to start trashing the voice actors. They are doing their job and the dub is a lot better than most dubs anyway, like it or not really. I mean has anyone heard the Naruto dub? Geez.
Let me guess. You saw DBZ in english first and watched Naruto in Japanese first.

I used to watch DBZ in english (before I had a choice with the DVDs) but now there are just too many things that I consider so hilariously bad for me to take it seriously. To me the english dub now only serves the purpose of highly comedic nostalgia.

With Naruto, the dub isn't so bad if you can get over Naruto and Sakura's voices (or at least ignore them, GOD!). But I understand why a lot of people can't.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:37 pm

Well their battle yells and when they're being serious, the US DBZ voices are good. Obviously the show is supposed to be comedic. You see those parts where characters trip over themselves and fall over? Yeah it's supposed to be funny. And no I didn't see Naruto in Japanese first. I was told that it was such a great show and hailed as DBZ status...so it came to Cartoon Network. Watched it...Naruto's voice was horrible...it was a show about some ninjas going to school trying to learn magic tricks. kk bye bye thx (:-P)

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:16 pm

Funimation wouldn't have to "remaster" shit if they got the DragonBox masters. I think Toei wouldn't care that much,its not like they would be losing money.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:41 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Is this a moment of sarcasm? Cuz if not, I agree. That's an epic screenshot, right there.
For once, I'm not being sarcastic. :)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:34 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:That's determined by Sagas. They aren't out to make them shorter, that's not their diabolical plot lol That's just the way it turns out. They can't say "including the full Garlic Jr. Saga, Trunks Saga, Android Saga, and 3 episodes of the Imperfect Cell Saga!!!"
Given that the "Android", "Imperfect Cell", "Perfect Cell" and "Cell Games" sagas only exist in FUNis marketing land in the first place, they certainly could. There's a running narrative from the first so-called "Android" episode to the last so-called "Cell Games" episode, with no real clear point where ending a DVD set would make sense.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:23 am

Rocketman wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Is this a moment of sarcasm? Cuz if not, I agree. That's an epic screenshot, right there.
For once, I'm not being sarcastic. :)
Too bad they blurred it though. For a moment I thought I was looking at a bootleg.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:19 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I don't think many people have a problem with black bars. I only had Widescreen DVDs. Point is, it's just nice to look at when it's across the whole TV. By the way, as I said before, the 4:3 TVs have natural cropping and for years people didn't have a problem with watching it on a 4:3 TV. If you take the "Remastered" version and compare it to the 4:3 image, you'd notice that there is a very slight difference in the vertical image, but a lot more on the sides. If people didn't have a problem with watching DBZ on their 4:3 TV which crops it out to almost exactly the same picture lost on the top and bottom, why would you have a problem with it now?
Wow...are you a FUNimation employee? Or VP&T perhaps? I say that only because you're quoting their promotional materials exactly, and all this has been debunked thoroughly. Overscan, which is the "natural cropping" you reference, is on all TV's to some degree. Not just 4:3 displays. My Pioneer Elite plasma has 2% overscan, for instance. Still, I can tell you now that people don't lose half their heads when I watch the DragonBoxes like they did when I watched the first two seasons that FUNimation put out.
Never will you ever find a deal that great on a brand new Anime release.
Only this isn't a brand new anime release. These are episodes FUNimation first put on DVD 7 years ago.

-Corey

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:39 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Wow...are you a FUNimation employee? Or VP&T perhaps? I say that only because you're quoting their promotional materials exactly, and all this has been debunked thoroughly. Overscan, which is the "natural cropping" you reference, is on all TV's to some degree. Not just 4:3 displays. My Pioneer Elite plasma has 2% overscan, for instance. Still, I can tell you now that people don't lose half their heads when I watch the DragonBoxes like they did when I watched the first two seasons that FUNimation put out.

Only this isn't a brand new anime release. These are episodes FUNimation first put on DVD 7 years ago.

-Corey
BALLIN.

Continue.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:36 am

Uh yeah I know, on HDTVs the overscan is practically nonexistant, it's pretty good. BUT, you didn't have that TV since you've watched the show, did you? Your exposure to the show was on a 4:3 wasn't it? Even if it wasn't, like 98% of peoples' was. And it is a new RELEASE. Seriously, what Anime (irregardless of how many years ago the episodes are from by the way) are that cheap?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Uh yeah I know, on HDTVs the overscan is practically nonexistant, it's pretty good.
That's a rather generic (and incorrect) statement, sorta like "wazoo them cars am fast!" but whatever, WINNAR IS YUO.
BUT, you didn't have that TV since you've watched the show, did you?
...what? I'm not sure what you're asking. I've had it since 2004, if that helps at all. I've seen quite a bit of the show/movies on that TV. Does that answer?
Your exposure to the show was on a 4:3 wasn't it?
Doesn't really matter, since I pillarbox the show to begin with, like any 4:3 material. Hence, nothing has changed.
And it is a new RELEASE.
...Of episodes that were already released on DVD in a correct, 4:3 format years ago.
Seriously, what Anime (irregardless of how many years ago the episodes are from by the way) are that cheap?
Tekkaman Blade had sets of 16 or so episodes a piece for $20 or so, Azumanga Daioh's thinpak is about $40, same for Evangelion's platinum thinpak at about $50-60 (which, wow, is actually remastered properly!)...should I keep going?

Or, if we're going for cheap and plenty, there's quite a few bootlegs on Ebay that have just as many episodes for less than even FUNimation :P

-Corey

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:17 pm

I think in a sense we should give credit where credit is due. I absolutely didn't believe that the SSJ Goku screen wasn't in some way doctored, so I took the last ten minutes to capture the images myself. After doing so using Windows Media Player, they looked exactly the same, and believe me, I scrutinized every last pixel. If you want to try it yourself, the image is at the end of episode 95. I guarantee TheGreatness25 is right about those shots.

That having been said, however, the fact that I watched DBZ with the image cropped in 1999 doesn't make it right in 2007, especially since the only monetary exchange that transpired was my parents paying the cable bill. Now, I am paying $30 for these discs. Yes, I know what I'm buying, and in all honesty, I recognize that the only ones I 'needed' per se were the first two to complete my DVD collection.

What I'm saying is that there is credible evidence that the cropping is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. When eyes get cut off in a scene (anything with the Ginyu Force all in one screen, for instance), it decreases the overall value of the product; simultaneously, we do admittedly get better video quality and a bit more film on the sides. Regardless, to justify cropping by arguing that it has always been cropped is a pitiful attempt to make this situation look better than it is.

Getting back on topic, I do intend to purchase the Trunks DVD, though I'm not sure if I'll get the Cell and Buu ones or not.[/img][/code][/url]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:55 pm

xzero wrote:admittedly get better video quality
Except for the whole disappearing lines, deformed colors, chilly peppers and torn footage thing.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:40 pm

The season sets are what they are, a cheap way for fans to buy the series in a poorly done way. It ain't the Dragonbox,it ain't the old Funimation releases,these are the orange abominations and I'm proud to be the owner of 3 of them.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:40 pm

xzero wrote:I think in a sense we should give credit where credit is due. I absolutely didn't believe that the SSJ Goku screen wasn't in some way doctored, so I took the last ten minutes to capture the images myself. After doing so using Windows Media Player, they looked exactly the same, and believe me, I scrutinized every last pixel. If you want to try it yourself, the image is at the end of episode 95. I guarantee TheGreatness25 is right about those shots.
What? Don't use double negatives. Anyways, its worth mentioning the argument holds ONLY for FUNIs copies ONLY when you display them on a TV with heavy overscanning. Plenty of TVs only have a slight level of overscan.

But even with DragonBox, I'm getting "more" picture. Look! I can see Piccolo's foot! Hot damn! Personally, I think the wide screen is somewhat moot, for me the issues lie with the other oddball stuff done with the sets.

But Raki said it best... "The season sets are what they are, a cheap way for fans to buy the series in a poorly done way."
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:53 am

ect5150 wrote:

Hm. There's a little bit more of Goku's aura and the sky on the top of FUNI's release than the DragonBox shot. Granted, Piccolo's foot is more substantial than the sky (this sentence amuses me). Obviously, different releases offer different parts of the animation cels, some with more important info than others. DragonBox is still the clear winner, but if you really want to get nitpicky...
"Gah! It's all cropped, even the DragonBox! My faith in Toei is shattered! *self-destructs ala Majin Vegeta*" :wink:
I can see their parachutes.