Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Episode 121 (23 December 2017)

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Man the voice acting in this episode was not great. I don't usually comment on episodes but I feel I have to comment on this. Nozawa's Gohan and Goku have no distinguish when they're screaming/power up-ing and I swear to god I cannot deal with another Nozawa whaaaaa moment when Gohan or Goku get knocked back. It's so bad. Instances where Krillin's VA sounds like they're over-acting in a few instances and #18 was just half baking some screams it felt.

I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was rushed recording.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:02 pm

A pretty damn good episode, if I do say so myself!

Action, teamwork, and every character involved has gotten at least one good moment to him/herself!

But somehow, SOMEHOW, the next episode is looking to be EVEN CRAZIER.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:04 pm

I've always been a #17 fan. Loved his character design during the Cell Saga and always thought it sucked that he was the first to go when Cell started his quest to achieve his perfect form. I wasn't sure bringing him back to the cast would be such a hit but they've done really well with him. All of the #17 & #18 team up moments in this Tournament have been great and #18 taking the elimination for him in this episode was a touching scene. We knew something like that was coming though. Overall I'm pretty happy with what they've done with his character in this arc. Hopefully he's involved in the next story too.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Man the voice acting in this episode was not great. I don't usually comment on episodes but I feel I have to comment on this. Nozawa's Gohan and Goku have no distinguish when they're screaming/power up-ing and I swear to god I cannot deal with another Nozawa whaaaaa moment when Gohan or Goku get knocked back. It's so bad. Instances where Krillin's VA sounds like they're over-acting in a few instances and #18 was just half baking some screams it felt.

I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was rushed recording.
Yeah #18 battle cry is annoying and krillin VA did act a little overdramatic,maybe is just the scripting that made them sound like that and not rush recording.
    An ok episode.Aniraza is generic and lame no suprised by this,i did liked his abilities sadly there were not used creatively.
      The battle were really good but i can't help to be distracted that U7 is killing everyone in the competition,is really distracting would have prefer if they gave this role to U11 just to make this experience more refreshing when i revisit this saga,at least we got neat character interaction with frieza and #17.
        Lastly for some reason the beam struggle didn't felt special here at least to me.
        Mostly active on discord.

Kuwabara
        Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I can't be the only one who's sick of them having people revert to weaker levels of power just so they can old school Z movie it by having "big epic" transformation sequences for Blue and Ultimate over and over again. Seriously, I feel like there's a "Holy shit! Here's SSBlue guise!" moment every episode.
        Yeah and I'm sure you winced any time someone turned into a Super Saiyan in Z too. It's almost as if all these forms are really marketable! :o
        This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Lord Beerus
        Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Wonderful episode. One of the best of the entire tournament.

Universe 3, or more specifically Aniraza, proved to be a major threat in the end and I loved how Universe 7 worked together to defeat him.

#18 was eliminated in the best way possible and I loved the twist of their being a little monster inside of Mosco controlling hm. That was great twist and screamed classic Toriyama.

I also liked how gracious and humble Universe 3 were in defeat. That was nice little touch

15 years ago, would have imagined a scenario where Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza and #17 would work together in a team based beam attack? Thank you for giving us that Dragon Ball Super. It was fucking awesome.

Hellspawn28
        Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Good episode. I like the twist of a little demon looking guy controlling Mosco inside of him. At least my wish for a demon GoD kinda came true. I doubt he is a demon, but it would be cool that he was originally from the Demon Realm in Universe 3 before becoming a GoD.
        She/Her
        PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
        LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
        Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:34 pm

This was such a dumb episode. It was better than I thought it'd be, but that's not saying much. I'm glad #17 got some spotlight and I liked the gag with Mosco. U11 being assholes continues to be extremely annoying.

Also those beams looked pathetic. What happened to making beams look big and fierce?

greeZH

Post by greeZH » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:42 pm

OverHeaven wrote:At the very least, it's pretty obvious he's going to perform much better than Hit.
        How? Hit was the only one so far who was relatively close to knock Jiren out.

ekrolo2
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
        ekrolo2 wrote:I can't be the only one who's sick of them having people revert to weaker levels of power just so they can old school Z movie it by having "big epic" transformation sequences for Blue and Ultimate over and over again. Seriously, I feel like there's a "Holy shit! Here's SSBlue guise!" moment every episode.
        Yeah and I'm sure you winced any time someone turned into a Super Saiyan in Z too. It's almost as if all these forms are really marketable! :o
        Z didn't have Goku power down then power back up in every single episode with every transformation back into it again being all "ER MAH GURD! ITS SUPAR SAIYADJIN!" the way every single episode the Survival Arc has done. Seriously, they do it almost every single time, they are completely unself aware of the fact Blue is not that special or a big deal any more yet they keep treating every time it shows back up as a big deal.
        When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

WittyUsername
        I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:11 pm

It was a pretty good episode. I really liked seeing Goku and Vegeta being willing to work with the others as as a team, and even though the climax was more or less lifted from Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, it still gave a fitting send-off for U3, which is a lot more than what can be said for U4. I’m not a fan of trash-talking Jiren though. Aren’t the Pride Troopers supposed to be superheroes?

As for next week’s episode, someone has already mentioned this in another thread, but I really don’t like the idea of Vegeta potentially being able to hold his own against Jiren, especially after the fact that Aniraza required 5 fighters to be taken down. As much as I dislike power level debates, isn’t Jiren supposed to be the strongest fighter in the tournament? Having Vegeta provide him with a decent challenge just seems like pandering.

Mercenary
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
        Mercenary wrote:
        Brettjr25 wrote:
        "Butthurt"? People sure do like to act cliche on the internet. I dont think it's "butthurt" but confusion because the logic Super is throwing out doesn't seem to make sense. If SSB Vegeta could damage Jiren then wouldn't that imply SSB KKx10 Goku would destroy him? But thats not how things played out.

It just means SSB Vegeta is even stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku. And personally, I haven't got really a problem with that. Vegeta trained his ass off in Goku Black Arc (blew ROSAT) and then before the Tournament he blew up ROSAT again but this time without breaking a sweat.

He has improved significantly but people tend to sleep on him. Like, you don't really have a problem with Hit causing Jiren some trouble but you have problem with Vegeta performing well? And who is Vegeta? Some untalented weakling?

You are shocked because it's the result of your constant sleeping on Vegeta and trying to make a fool of him every single time during the fight he's gonna put. Even against Ribrianne. And I am not even such a big fan of Vegeta, cuz it's kinda hard to be a fan of a guy who is destined to job all the time, but it doesn't change a fact I can notice efforts he put and gains that he achieved.

He is probably the biggest hardworker (and also extremely talented) in DBS so he deserves it. Unbiasedly, he just deserves it.

Thats not the point. The Point is inconsistency. Even as a Vegeta fan i dont get my hopes up anymore.

Look. Nothing says that Vegeta is stronger than SSBKKx20 Goku that was manhandled by Jiren. You are assuming things. Its not baseless, but its still assumption. Yes Vegeta blew off the ROSAT easily. But its still not an objective indicator of his power.
        You have to remember that just before Goku did the Spirit bomb, Jiren hit Goku so fast that even Vegeta wasnt able to read Jiren's movements [he said it himself]. So now why is he able to counter a "serious" Jiren? It just reeks of an Asspull.

The Final Flash making Jiren block it, no. Its not an Asspull because the Final Flash has the greatest multiplier of all attacks in the Franchise. But him making Jiren serious with Punches reeks of an asspull. Remember, if SSB Vegeta > SSBKKx20 Goku, why did he struggle for a bit with Toppo? He should have laid the smackdown on him failry easily. But he didnt.

I get your point mate but I just CAN'T agree with this last line.

If you pay closer attention to that fight, you will see that Vegeta didn't give a damn about Toppo. Even Toppo himself stated that : "If you are so much interested in Son Goku's fight, I'll just let you to see it from the bench" or sth like this. He was constantly distracted, because he prefered to watch Goku vs Kefla instead of giving a damn about Toppo and treating him serious. Vegeta just got surprised by Toppo's choke-hold like Goku did but even then, he just punched him with his elbow like nothing and threw him (judo move lol). Then Toppo was sweating and laying on the ground totally done for, even though Vegeta didn't really give a damn about him. He shouldn't have underestimated him, I will admit it, but he was simply conserving his power for Jiren.

Even DB Heroes creators have stated that Vegeta "hasn't gotten any serious yet". He probably will now.
        Last edited by Mercenary on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majinwarman
        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:57 pm

This episode was my second favorite episode of the TOP. Aniraza was such a powerful threat to Universe 7 that he made everyone work together. His design was so interesting and somewhat familiar yet I can't remember where I saw that design. If you watched Z, you can't ever imagine Freeza, Goku, Gohan, Android 17, and Vegeta combined their power together in a beam struggle to defeat an opponent. Thank you Dragon Ball Super for giving me something that even I didn't know I wanted. The next episode preview looks like Vegeta is going to have a tough fight with Jiren. Plus, Yuya Takahashi is back people!! I can't wait for two weeks to come anytime sooner.
        Rating: 9 out of 10
        Majinwarman
        So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
        A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:06 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:Did not see a thread for this i assume mods are spending time with family so i made it. Hopefully no one is mad. The episode tonight was greatness.
        Thank you for stepping up and creating this thread for us. I just hope the mods are having a great time with their families.
        Majinwarman
        So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
        A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kaiosama
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Mercenary wrote:Lol, so much butthurt because Vegeta is performing well against Jiren.

I am glad that Veggie will get some love and hopefully Goku will defeat Jiren cooperating with Vegeta.

I would like this to happen because it wouldn't downgrade Jiren so much. It would need at least two strong warriors to take him down, not just Goku. It would give the better showing of Jiren.
        Vegeta shouldn't be able to do much against Jiren since he's an inferior warrior to both Goku and Hit. This powerscaling bs is approaching the level of Future Trunks Spirit Sword cutting up Merged Zamas. This is simply BAD writing.

darzap
        Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Vegeta shouldn't be able to do much against Jiren since he's an inferior warrior to both Goku and Hit. This powerscaling bs is approaching the level of Future Trunks Spirit Sword cutting up Merged Zamas. This is simply BAD writing.
        Any proof that Vegeta after his latest training is inferior to Hit? There is no way to establish that until Vegeta is pushed to his limit during this arc.

MKCSTEALTH
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 pm

I guess this is our thread for the week so...

I loved this episode! So many nods to past movies!

Loved Anilaza, he was so much fun to watch fight. Especially seeing him go all Janemba on everyone. And that five way beam struggle at the end was beautiful! Right out of "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans"

As bummed as I am to see 18 go, she held her own this tournament. They really gave her some love. Unlike some OTHER green skinned Z Fighter I know....

Though I do have one small gripe. I usually don't complain about reused animation, but I am so tired of seeing that Frieza transformation from EP 94. Yes, it's beautiful. Does he need to do it every time? Heck no. It's jarring and really just stands out. I hope this is the last time we see that clip

And holy god are we starting 2018 off right! Takahashi style! The animation looks holy for the NEP

darzap
        Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:30 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I usually don't complain about reused animation, but I am so tired of seeing that Frieza transformation from EP 94. Yes, it's beautiful. Does he need to do it every time? Heck no. It's jarring and really just stands out. I hope this is the last time we see that clip
        Now that you mention it, I'm quite happy, that there is only one opportunity left to see the Daishinkan saying that, as the consequence of its fighters being eliminated, universe X is going to be erased.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 pm

It wouldn’t make much sense for Vegeta to stand any chance against Jiren. How many hits did Goku get in at SSBKKx20? Maybe 1? 2? If Vegeta somehow does way better in this fight that would mean that SSB Vegeta > SSB Kaioken x20 Goku?

Episode was pretty good but it was entirely overshadowed by that NEP. Never before has an NEP overshadowed a good episode, but my god Takahashi, I will sacrifice my first born if you could animate every episode of Super.

Nickolaidas
        Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm a Frieza fan, through and through. That said, I can't help but scratch my head as to how in the hell did he jumped back into the arena after kicking Goku back inside. Is he using Instant Transmission or something? But you can clearly see him landing next to Goku, so teleport it isn't. I guess he could've use a blast to give him momentum and 'push' him back inside, but if that's possible, why doesn't anymore do it the minute he's falling out of the arena? Couldn't Piccolo or 18 do the same thing?

I know, I know ... kids show.