Are the Japanese voices of Dragon Ball too much recycled and full of Miscast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Are the Japanese voices of Dragon Ball too much recycled and full of Miscast?

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 am

Whatever wrote:
ABED wrote:Seeing as how she voiced Gohan WAY before black...

Also, why the limit?
Because in my opinion her voice fits Black way much more than Gohan but her voice only fitted Kid Gohan and not so much teenager or adult Gohan.

The reasoning for my limit is because there is also a limit to how much you can listen the same voice,we need some variety and while Nozawa changes the tone of her voice for the different characters she voices she does not have enough range to differentiate or set them apart from each other.
you should try listening to it again, her Gohan sounds a lot more relaxed and sophisticated than her Goku.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are the Japanese voices of Dragon Ball too much recycled and full of Miscast?

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:48 am

When it comes to the original castings, Bardock would the only one I'd consider to be a miscast seeing as how shares none of the naivety and pure-heartedness that the rest of Nozawa's roles share. Really should've gone with Shigeru Chiba seeing as how Bardock has more in common with Raditz than Goku.

But while the rest of the original pick were spot on, Toei for whatever reason cannot recast to save their lives. Chichi was the first victim going from a sweet, nurturing albeit strict mother with the best intentions for her son (Mayumi Shu) to a constantly PMSing bitch who just seems to wanna make life miserable for her husband and kid (Naoko Watanabe). It also doesn't help that all the non-manga scenes after the recast paint Chi-chi in a more negative light. Uranai Baba went from sounding like a wise, old fortune-telling hag (Junpei Takiguchi) to Yajirobe with a cold (Mayumi Tanaka). None of Roshi's replacements after Kōhei Miyauchi have been able to bring the right balance of wise mentor and goofy perv to the character. All of the Ginyu Force replacements, and Dodoria and Zarbon, in Kai sound like pale phoned in replacements to the originals. The list just goes on and on. I dread to think of what Bulma will sound like the next time she speaks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:01 am

When it comes to the original castings, Bardock would the only one I'd consider to be a miscast seeing as how shares none of the naivety and pure-heartedness that the rest of Nozawa's roles share. Really should've gone with Shigeru Chiba seeing as how Bardock has more in common with Raditz than Goku.
But Nozawa has the ability to convey many different types of characters.

I agree that the recasts weren't all that great in most cases, but your points about Chichi is due to the writing, not the performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:56 am

ABED wrote:
but your points about Chichi is due to the writing, not the performance.
Writing is a big part of it, granted, but some the blame still lies on Watanabe's performance. Shu had this sweet, child-like tone to her voice with a hint of hick to it, which Oolong even pointed out in the manga, whereas Watanabe's voice lacks the hick accent and just sounds like your typically angry Japanese mother. When Shu's Chichi yells, you can tells it's because she's concerned about her family, when's Watanabe's Chichi yells she's just sounds like a total bitch.

The difference is not unlike that of Laara Sadiq (Ocean) and Cynthia Cranz (Funimation) performances in the English dub. In fact I'd say it's damn near the same since, coincidentally, Cranz replaced Sadiq at the exact time in the anime that Watanabe replaced Shu, barring the Lord Slug movie.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:44 am

I must be the only here who liked the replacements for the Ginyu Force.

And when it comes to Bardock, if they had gone with a man, I would have preferred Akira Kamiya. I wouldn't have wanted Bardock and Raditz to sound the same.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:53 am

Shu had this sweet, child-like tone to her voice with a hint of hick to it, which Oolong even pointed out in the manga, whereas Watanabe's voice lacks the hick accent and just sounds like your typically angry Japanese mother.
Chichi's not going to sound child like when she's angry which comes down to the writing. I don't know anything about Japanese accents, so I can't point out "hick".

Cranz doesn't always sound like a nagging and angry housewife. She tries to sound sweet when the scene has Chichi being sweet. The problem is that (IMO) she's not a good actress, or at least not in that role.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:08 am

Well, Cranz was pretty good in One Piece and in Yu Yu Hakusho (even if her accent bothers me a lot).
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:47 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:When it comes to the original castings, Bardock would the only one I'd consider to be a miscast seeing as how shares none of the naivety and pure-heartedness that the rest of Nozawa's roles share. Really should've gone with Shigeru Chiba seeing as how Bardock has more in common with Raditz than Goku.

yes you are Right They could have found someone else to do Bardock but that doesn't take away the credit that Nozawa deserves for her performance as him. it was not in anyway goofy or funny but more fierce and aggressive.
andrewtuell1991 wrote:Chichi was the first victim going from a sweet, nurturing albeit strict mother with the best intentions for her son (Mayumi Shu) to a constantly PMSing bitch who just seems to wanna make life miserable for her husband and kid (Naoko Watanabe). It also doesn't help that all the non-manga scenes after the recast paint Chi-chi in a more negative light.
Not really. Mayumi Sho may have been the better voice but i think Naoko Watanabe did a good job as Chi Chi and she also made her sound like a cute hick mountain girl not exactly like Sho but still it was fine. you can't tell that Sho's chi chi Yelling "BAAKA" after meeting Adult Goku first time was any less annoying or her constant yelling of "GOKU SAN" was not grating at one point.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote: Drummond's Vegeta voice was VERY raspy. It's a distinctive and interesting performance.
Yes, I know it was raspy but not to the extent of Sabat's.
I respectfully disagree.
I dunno, Sabat's Vegeta voice in GT was far more raspy than Drummond, so raspy to the point that he always sounded irritated.
JulieYBM wrote:Peter Sellers played three completely unrelated characters in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I don't see why Nozawa Masako or anyone else cannot do the same or even more. A single good actor can really do some funny things even if they don't entirely pretend to be different characters.
He was also the original actor for Major Kong before he sprained his ankle.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Yes, I know it was raspy but not to the extent of Sabat's.
I respectfully disagree.
I dunno, Sabat's Vegeta voice in GT was far more raspy than Drummond, so raspy to the point that he always sounded irritated.
JulieYBM wrote:Peter Sellers played three completely unrelated characters in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I don't see why Nozawa Masako or anyone else cannot do the same or even more. A single good actor can really do some funny things even if they don't entirely pretend to be different characters.
He was also the original actor for Major Kong before he sprained his ankle.
That, too. In theater, especially smaller productions, an actor can also play multiple roles. Since most veteran voice actors in Japan are originally theater actors this also factors in to their industry.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:34 pm

It's okay when a seiyuu with range does various characters, but when seiyuus with no range do various roles, then something's wrong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:22 pm

The aim isn't to show range, it's to find a fitting voice. Her Gohan and Goku are distinct enough that there's no confusion.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:27 pm

ABED wrote:The aim isn't to show range, it's to find a fitting voice. Her Gohan and Goku are distinct enough that there's no confusion.
Yeah, I know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:53 pm

I wasn't speaking directly to you. It was a general statement and it's a fact that seems to have escaped some.