How much weight can goku lift

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: How much weight can goku lift

Post by theherodjl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 am

Miracles wrote:
Doesn't matter what people say. TOEI states the attack had the pressure/pull of a Black Hole and TOEI's intent is just that.
The geeks can dissect it all they want, it isn't going to change the facts. :lol:
Funny how the "intended" pressure & pull of a black hole only affects three individuals, gravity must slack off in DB.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:00 am

theherodjl wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Doesn't matter what people say. TOEI states the attack had the pressure/pull of a Black Hole and TOEI's intent is just that.
The geeks can dissect it all they want, it isn't going to change the facts. :lol:
Funny how the "intended" pressure & pull of a black hole only affects three individuals, gravity must slack off in DB.
And, as I already mentioned, saying things like "the pressure/pull of a black hole" is meaningless in and of itself, without specifying parameters like size, mass, distance, orbital velocity, gradient of tidal forces, etc. Many of these don't even apply to the scene in question.

These arguments are honestly about as silly as the following scenario:

Someone shows a video of a person being hit with a paintball gun and claims that it makes them bulletproof.

'That wasn't a real gun'.

'Yes it was. It's called a gun and it shoots projectiles, doesn't it? The dictionary defines a gun as a device for shooting something under pressure, so it fits. It also looks like a real gun'.

'No it doesn't, you can see the paintball hopper attached to it, real guns have magazines.'

'That's just artistic license. It's clearly meant to be a gun.'

'Real guns fire metal bullets, not paintballs, and they travel at supersonic speeds.'

'Now you're just nitpicking. It's a gun, get over it.'

It's like talking to a brick wall.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:11 am

theherodjl wrote:
Miracles wrote:
This too doesn't change the truth of TOEI's story. :wave:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
theherodjl wrote:
Miracles wrote: Doesn't matter what people say. TOEI states the attack had the pressure/pull of a Black Hole and TOEI's intent is just that.
And, as I already mentioned, saying things like "the pressure/pull of a black hole" is meaningless in and of itself, without specifying parameters like size, mass, distance, orbital velocity, gradient of tidal forces, etc. Many of these don't even apply to the scene in question.

These arguments are honestly about as silly as the following scenario:

Someone shows a video of a person being hit with a paintball gun and claims that it makes them bulletproof.

'That wasn't a real gun'.

'Yes it was. It's called a gun and it shoots projectiles, doesn't it? The dictionary defines a gun as a device for shooting something under pressure, so it fits. It also looks like a real gun'.

'No it doesn't, you can see the paintball hopper attached to it, real guns have magazines.'

'That's just artistic license. It's clearly meant to be a gun.'

'Real guns fire metal bullets, not paintballs, and they travel at supersonic speeds.'

'Now you're just nitpicking. It's a gun, get over it.'

It's like talking to a brick wall.
TOEI isn't being graded on a test for accuracy. They are telling a story, making them the storytellers, saying what goes! :o

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:58 am

If you admit it's not accurate, then you can't say it's an accurate depiction of a black hole :roll:

Really, this is just painful for a student of physics.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Miracles wrote:This too doesn't change the truth of TOEI's story. :wave:
A troll response still doesn't make it scientifically accurate. :wave:
Merry Christmas. :D

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Honestly, I don't add too much to physics when it comes to series where the main characters fly around, shoot lasers from their hands, turn their hair color at the drop of a hat, and eat enough food to fill an entire walk-in freezer (low-ball, I know, but it does give one an idea of their appetite).

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Honestly, I don't add too much to physics when it comes to series where the main characters fly around, shoot lasers from their hands, turn their hair color at the drop of a hat, and eat enough food to fill an entire walk-in freezer (low-ball, I know, but it does give one an idea of their appetite).
That's exactly the point.
Toei felt obliged to invoke actual physics in their story but unsurprisingly failed to depict a scene with even half of the scientific accuracy, with the argument from some fans being that they're justified in doing so just because they say so. Its like saying that driving a car with two wheels is entirely possible because a medium of fiction demonstrated it.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 am

Anime- tens of thousands of tons if not much more in base.
Manga- can easily move with 40 tons strapped to his body as an ssj1 but cannot lift 1 k tons as an ssj1.

Borros

Post by Borros » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Speedster wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
theherodjl wrote:When training on Kaio's planet later on, Goku demonstrates a far better feat of strength by being able to pull three massive weights larger than he is all around the planet, he then ups this ante by lifting an even more massive weight above his head.
"Later"?
Really?
It's 4 years after the 40 tons scene, not just "later."
Still we actually did see Goku later in the Buu arc causally holding with one hand an approximately 1.5m^3 Katchin cube and throwing it at Gohan at a very high velocity. Even if we say Katchin is like Tungsten the cube would have a mass of around 30tonnes and the force to throw it at a speed of 1000m/s would be equivalent to the weight of 3 million tonnes.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that Super starts 4 years after the Buu arc. Super has already retconned the end of Z as if you go by the original ending you should also have 10 years of peace and 5 years of Goku not seeing Bulma. Also Goku revealing Uub to Vegeta in the 28TB instead before the U6 tournament. So, I wouldn’t hold onto Pan’s age in the 28th TB for any time placement in Super whatsoever. Also at the very minimum 3-4 years have passed in Super since the BoGs arc so if Super actually started 4 years after the Buu arc we are now at 7-8 years since the Buu arc and Trunks is still drawn as a kid despite supposedly being 15-16y.o. and being drawn older when he was 14!

Hello, could you explain your physical reasoning with the equations that led you to that result that Goku can lift 3 million tonnes, please ?

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 am

Toriyama and Toyo have no idea when it comes to lifting.
crazy Kale had to actualy exert just to lift magetta who was stated to be 1000 tons iirc.

and ofc krillin was shocked becouse Toriyama probably still thinks the humans can only lift like 50 kg.

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 pm

His maximum is roughly the weight of ten apples.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 am

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:His maximum is roughly the weight of ten apples.
is this for real?
i knew Toei and Toriyama dont know shit about weight and lifting but damn........or when krillin was shocked when he had 20kg boots in hos hands and couldnt even walk with them.(it was in the manga)

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:53 am

Tsufuru wrote:is this for real? i knew Toei and Toriyama dont know shit about weight and lifting but damn........or when krillin was shocked when he had 20kg boots in hos hands and couldnt even walk with them.(it was in the manga)
Well, a minute before this Goku did mention Sir Isaac Newton, who might not even exist in Dragon Ball and if he did Goku would probably not know about him. But that's probably because it's the English Dub.
https://youtu.be/cUiVOFYqCTo?t=3m3s

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:55 am

It's rather disingenuous to state that trying to lift an apple in 10 times Earth's gravity is as simple as lifting the weight of 10 apples. After all he has to deal with the increased weight of his own body, his clothes, and the atmosphere pressing down on him. Real life humans can't even stay conscious in any higher than 7 gs, and can only be exposed to such intense forces for fractions of a second without dying.

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:02 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:It's rather disingenuous to state that trying to lift an apple in 10 times Earth's gravity is as simple as lifting the weight of 10 apples. After all he has to deal with the increased weight of his own body, his clothes, and the atmosphere pressing down on him. Real life humans can't even stay conscious in any higher than 7 gs, and can only be exposed to such intense forces for fractions of a second without dying.
It's a joke. For all we know those apples could also have a higher mass than Earth apples. Maybe they're 1000 times denser than Earth apples so it's really like Goku's trying to catch 10,000 Earth apples. If the planet is denser, why not the planet's fruit?

https://youtu.be/cl4Ijt_GQFk?t=35s
Why is Goku struggling to carry boxes of clothes? Is he that weak? No, maybe it's just a stupid movie and it's difficult to keep a stack of boxes balanced no matter how much you can lift.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 am

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Tsufuru wrote:is this for real? i knew Toei and Toriyama dont know shit about weight and lifting but damn........or when krillin was shocked when he had 20kg boots in hos hands and couldnt even walk with them.(it was in the manga)
Well, a minute before this Goku did mention Sir Isaac Newton, who might not even exist in Dragon Ball and if he did Goku would probably not know about him. But that's probably because it's the English Dub.
https://youtu.be/cUiVOFYqCTo?t=3m3s
lol goku talking about Isaac newton.