"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm

SSJPURPLE77 wrote:I don't think we need Base Goku and Vegeta to be honest because the SSGSS versions have moves that the base versions used. SSB Goku has a Kaioken ultimate and SSB Vegeta has a Galick Gun ultimate.
SSBKK has no gameplay behind it, it's just a pretty animation; that animation could be anything else or nothing at all and would still have the same function. It would be nothing like having Kaio-ken as an actual move or mechanic.

SSJPURPLE77

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by SSJPURPLE77 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Simere wrote:
SSJPURPLE77 wrote:I don't think we need Base Goku and Vegeta to be honest because the SSGSS versions have moves that the base versions used. SSB Goku has a Kaioken ultimate and SSB Vegeta has a Galick Gun ultimate.
SSBKK has no gameplay behind it, it's just a pretty animation; that animation could be anything else or nothing at all and would still have the same function. It would be nothing like having Kaio-ken as an actual move or mechanic.
Eh. KK would probably just be treated with the same mechanic as Adult Gohan. Firing a KKx10 Kamahamaha in base would also look the same as SSB using it (except no blue hair). I mean, I can see some fans wanting them for nostalgic reasons, but to me they're just weaker versions of the characters that are already in.

To each his own tho. If the base forms do make it in DLC, that's fine, but I probably won't play them.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:59 pm

I doubt their base forms are going to be DLCs. They're going to want people to have an incentive to download the additional content, and I don’t think giving base forms to characters who already have two versions of themselves each would be a very enticing offer.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:41 am

Kataphrut wrote:The "I don't like FighterZ" bingo sheet:

Credit: @Quebaz23

For the record, I'm a Xenoverse 2 fan who's never played a competitive fighting game in his life, and even I wouldn't check any of these. Maybe the "Don't call <DBZ term> a <fighting game term>", but that's just because I have no frame of reference for fighting game terms. And who cares, it's just pedantry.

Anyone else getting sick of this crap though? Like, these arguments are bad enough, but the pro-FighterZ side isn't much better. I've seen a lot of "hurr, can't wait to body casuals/DBZ fans in this REAL fighting game" going around as well. It's just elitist dickery; let people like what they like, and try to welcome newcomers without being condescending.
It's not so much as elitist dickery as the producers pandering to the fanbase/market and as a result we've had a wave a mediocrity in the Dbz gaming franchise that we thought it would never recover from.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:16 am

VintageSaiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:The "I don't like FighterZ" bingo sheet:

Credit: @Quebaz23

For the record, I'm a Xenoverse 2 fan who's never played a competitive fighting game in his life, and even I wouldn't check any of these. Maybe the "Don't call <DBZ term> a <fighting game term>", but that's just because I have no frame of reference for fighting game terms. And who cares, it's just pedantry.

Anyone else getting sick of this crap though? Like, these arguments are bad enough, but the pro-FighterZ side isn't much better. I've seen a lot of "hurr, can't wait to body casuals/DBZ fans in this REAL fighting game" going around as well. It's just elitist dickery; let people like what they like, and try to welcome newcomers without being condescending.
It's not so much as elitist dickery as the producers pandering to the fanbase/market and as a result we've had a wave a mediocrity in the Dbz gaming franchise that we thought it would never recover from.
And somehow this is supposed to make this sort of behavior acceptable? Regardless of whether or the game is tailor made for you, it doesn’t give you the right to be a prick to non fighting game players

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:27 am

VintageSaiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: For the record, I'm a Xenoverse 2 fan who's never played a competitive fighting game in his life, and even I wouldn't check any of these. Maybe the "Don't call <DBZ term> a <fighting game term>", but that's just because I have no frame of reference for fighting game terms. And who cares, it's just pedantry.

And now we've got the game we wanted. There's nothing to gain from belittling the people who still like the old stuff, especially the ones looking to give FighterZ a go.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 am

This is it, folks! Unless they delay it, Dragon Ball FighterZ officially comes out this month.
Overall, the marketing around this game was pretty good. They announced the game in a reasonable time window and they never let the hype die. I wish Square-Enix took some notes, since they tend to announce games 5/10 years before they come out...

This month we will have the last V-Jump issue before the game comes out and I'm low key expecting a last character reveal for the 24th spot, with A21 being the secret 25th character that we will only find out when we unlock her after clearing the story mode.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:36 am

Twenty five more days. Come on ... go a little faster, whydoncha?

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:09 pm

If two more characters are revealed in this month V-Jump's issue. Who do you think it will be?
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Kataphrut wrote:but the pro-FighterZ side isn't much better. I've seen a lot of "hurr, can't wait to body casuals/DBZ fans in this REAL fighting game" going around as well. It's just elitist dickery; let people like what they like, and try to welcome newcomers without being condescending.
Yeah, I haven't seen much of the hater side of this game, but the "pro-FighterZ" side... Geez. The worst are the comparison with Xenoverse, they even dare to say it's the best Dragon Ball game in this franchise when there's Dragon Ball Online out there, it's like saying someone from the lower ranks in Marvel are the strongest when there's One Above All out there.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:03 pm

The thing is that the last time we had proper classic fighting game like FighterZ was 12 years ago. It was Super Dragon Ball Z, and while there is definitely good things to say about it, it was neither a really good fighter or a exceptionally faithful translation of the visuals of the anime/manga.
But after 12 years we will finally have something that the FGC is looking for (and some people like me, who just enjoy fighters on a lower level), and at the same time, there are lot of people constantly posting about how disappointed the are by the game, how it doesn't have 100 characters, how it's a stepback, how bad is that you can beat up Hit with Yamcha, etc. It's getting really tiresome listening to the same offended comments, and at the same time, Bamco will probably announce Xenoverse 3 anyway at the second half of this year, and it's not like they stopped with the arena-style DBZ fighters, after all they kept supporting XV2 with new content up until this day.
Is it really that hurtful that once in a decade a DBZ game is being made that is not for you?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Maybe this has already been said, I'd assume it has.

I pre-ordered the FighterZ Edition on PSN. The release date says June 28th or 30th of this year...

Why?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm

KayDash wrote: Is it really that hurtful that once in a decade a DBZ game is being made that is not for you?
For some people it seems it is, and it goes deeper than that.
DarkPrince_92 wrote: I pre-ordered the FighterZ Edition on PSN. The release date says June 28th or 30th of this year...

Why?
Placeholder date that didn't get updated. Not sure why though.

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Thank you kind sir. I'm just curious as to when it will update. I do not want the game to download "Day-of" release date.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:51 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:If two more characters are revealed in this month V-Jump's issue. Who do you think it will be?
I was under the impression that we're 'only' waiting for the inevitable #21-is-playable announcement. But I wouldn't be surprised if the first DLC character is announced as a launch date release (which would piss off quite a few people).

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:06 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
BrolyKale wrote: I also would like to ask if you could do one for Janemba and Kefla please!
IKevinX just did one about Kefla.
Kefla has such cool moves in the anime, it'd be a shame not to see her included in the game further down the line as DLC.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: But I wouldn't be surprised if the first DLC character is announced as a launch date release (which would piss off quite a few people).
That would surely piss me off. I need at least 2/3 months until DLC characters. It would a very stupid decision from them, already announcing the 8 DLC characters was stupid timing wise. They better not pull a Capcom. With Tekken 7, this game and Soul Calibur coming they have a chance to dominate.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:50 pm

LightBing wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote: But I wouldn't be surprised if the first DLC character is announced as a launch date release (which would piss off quite a few people).
That would surely piss me off. I need at least 2/3 months until DLC characters. It would a very stupid decision from them, already announcing the 8 DLC characters was stupid timing wise. They better not pull a Capcom. With Tekken 7, this game and Soul Calibur coming they have a chance to dominate.
They had to announce the DLC characters in order to shove that 115$ Ultimate Edition pre-order up our asses. Pretty sure that's the publisher's fault, not the developer's. I would be also miffed, but not to the point of not making the purchase.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
LightBing wrote:
They had to announce the DLC characters in order to shove that 115$ Ultimate Edition pre-order up our asses. Pretty sure that's the publisher's fault, not the developer's. I would be also miffed, but not to the point of not making the purchase.
For sure, I'm talking about Namco. Although I'm happy that because of them we probably won't get the awful DLC system from Arc System.

It also wouldn't stop me from buying the game, after all it looks amazing and completed. However it would be a red flag, I don't like greed it would made me weary of future DLC contents.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Dunno... they already revealed the DLC pack months ago (which I think was a mistake), they might as well just start revealing what are we actually paying for.