"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by MisteryOne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 am

Do we have any news apart from the new images? It's hard to know with this whole character discussion thing.

Also, pretty sure tha Angel shown with U7 is the U3 one, which is pretty interesting.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 am

More Toyotaro doodles..

Toyo has been doodling a little too many new angles and gods of destruction for fun when his manuscript is all messed up isn't it..
Not saying that means something but that definitely means something..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:26 am

Whatever wrote:
Totamo wrote: The saiyan saga happened because Goku was a saiyan and his brother came to get him. If it wasn't about his heritage. That saga wouldn't happen. No fight mattered until Goku got there because they were doing nothing but dying and the ones that lived only lived because the saiyans decided to wait for Goku. The saiyan saga is about Goku's heritage, the saiyans.
Vegeta the big bad of the saiyan saga,his motivation for coming to earth had nothing to do with Goku,Vegeta and Nappa came for the dragonballs.

The Freeza saga is all about Goku's ultimate challenge. The first thing that came to his mind when he heard of Freeza was not worry for his son but excitement. The whole saga, you spend with him training, pushing himself pass his limit and fighting the strongest fighters in the universe, leading up to Freeza and of course super saiyan. If it wasn't for any challenge, Goku wouldn't even go to Namek because there be no reason for him to. Gohan and Krillin just spend that entire first half running and hiding and waiting for Goku.
The whole reason Goku even met with Freeza was because Gohan and Krillin went to Namek to get the dragonballs,the focus was mostly the dragonball hunt(which is why we had 3 sides hunting for them)with the climax being Goku vs Freeza,yeah outside of the climax Goku had mostly nothing to with Freeza arc.
If we use your logic then the Cell arc was about Gohan just because the climax was Gohan vs Cell,which as you know is not true.
Gohan,Krillin,Vegeta and Freeza would all have went to Namek regardless of Goku.
The Cell saga was not a revenge story because if Goku had died and the androids were defeated by the z fighters, Trunks never would have came to the past but because Goku wasn't there no one was there to stop them because he was the one with the plan, which is shown our tieline. Trunks' future is a world without Goku
Yes it was a revenge story,DrGero's creations whatever it was the Androids or Cell were created to kill Goku.
The Cell saga irronically is when Goku has the most connections to it despite having the least screentime and doing mostly nothing.
The buu saga happened because Buu was revived and that happened because of Vegeta's obsession to fight Goku and giving himself to Babidi. Goku could have beaten Buu but he decided to leave it to the next gen so they wouldn't rely on him. Vegeta's speech was all about that. Piccolo said it to.
Buu has nothing to do with Goku.Vegeta almost always screw things up for the good guys,by your logic the Cell and Buu sagas are about him since he is the reason Cell reached his perfect form or Buu being there.And how Goku making a bad decision makes the story about him again?

Buu was mostly a(failled)attempt at the new generation taking over before Toriyama backtracked on it.
If Vegeta didn't care about Goku, why the hell did he wait for 3 hours instead of just killing them besides they never would have even known about it if it wasn't for Raditz. This is the same damn logic you used for all your points, yet you don't use it for this?! Thats called dishonesty, my friend.

Goku vs Freeza was the entire point of the namek saga, Gohan and Krillin accomplished nothing of substance until Goku actual got there and if the arc was really about the dragon balls why didn't it end when Freeza or Vegeta or the heroes got all of them or was just because the dragon balls were an excuse to get there. And no, its not like the other introductions because Goku went to Namek specially to fight Freeza. That was his plan from the beginning. Gohan was never suppose to fight. Gohan didn't WANT to fight. Thats a false equivalency, my friend.

The androids didn't kill Goku, they wrecked the future. Thats why trunks came to the past. If it was really about Goku, why did androids destroy everything in the future when he was already gone. The present androids didn't do that, they decided to kill Goku because they nothing else better to do and Cell just wanted to tets himself. This is called shortsightedness, my friend.

The buu saga would not be a thing without Goku. You can't just say vegeta screwed things up but then not say why as thats kind of the big thing and if it was really about the next gen, why did he give Goku a new transformation and him winning the fight? Why was he half responsible for Buu's resurrection? Its a tossup on who was going to defeat Buu but the first person who clearly dominated the fat pink monster was Goku.

Its not about what the sagas said they were about, its about what they were actually about and if you don't understand that, then there is no conversation to be had here.
Good day

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:38 am

The more I think about the Kitaro thing...maybe it's not going to replace Super; maybe it's going to replace that Monster Riders show that airs before Super. Or maybe Kitaro will be a web-series ala Sailor Moon Crystal's first arc.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:53 am

Chuquita wrote:The more I think about the Kitaro thing....
What kitaro thing?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
What kitaro thing?
Toei announced a new Kitaro project. Ajay tweeted about it here: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/948380650238771200

ANN posted an article here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ry/.126000

It's the show that used to have Super's timeslot before Super began.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:18 am

Chuquita wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
What kitaro thing?
Toei announced a new Kitaro project. Ajay tweeted about it here: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/948380650238771200

ANN posted an article here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ry/.126000

Oh.. oh...
So.. what are the chances, realistically, that super's.. you know.. not gonna continue..

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: What kitaro thing?

Oh.. oh...
So.. what are the chances, realistically, that super's.. you know.. not gonna continue..
There's always a chance Kitaro could just be another Toei's Sailor Moon Crystal (air online as a bi-weekly web series) or air on a not!FujiTV network like Toei did with the recent Digimon. NJ_ quoted a tweet about how there's no TV station listed for this Kitaro series: https://twitter.com/NJ_/status/948388602148474880

But Super-as-an-advertisement is making Shueisha so much money! I can't imagine they'd up and put it on break. Not even One Piece's anime gets to just go on break.
And yet I still have a small amount of nagging doubt with the whole grandiose scale of the ToP both in plot and in sheer size of the arc compared to all those that came before it. It feels like it could be a finale, no? I hope not though; I don't want Super to end here.

I'm anxious, but gonna wait and see if Ajay makes a video on all this in the morning explaining more stuff about it.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 am

Chuquita wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
What kitaro thing?

Oh dear, so we're back to the wringing our hands until March. If we didn't have a proper reason to think they'd pull the plug on Super, we do now. The movie will probably require a lot of attention and the animation schedule seems to be difficult enough already.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 am

Chuquita wrote:There's always a chance Kitaro could just be another Toei's Sailor Moon Crystal (air online as a bi-weekly web series) or air on a not!FujiTV network like Toei did with the recent Digimon. NJ_ quoted a tweet about how there's no TV station listed for this Kitaro series: https://twitter.com/NJ_/status/948388602148474880

But Super-as-an-advertisement is making Shueisha so much money! I can't imagine they'd up and put it on break. Not even One Piece's anime gets to just go on break.
And yet I still have a small amount of nagging doubt with the whole grandiose scale of the ToP both in plot and in sheer size of the arc compared to all those that came before it. It feels like it could be a finale, no? I hope not though; I don't want Super to end here.

I'm anxious, but gonna wait and see if Ajay makes a video on all this in the morning explaining more stuff about it.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Super ended after the ToP. Some DB people claim it's going to continue after the ToP Arc for merchandise reasons, but I wouldn't mind if it didn't. Still, if Super is indeed ending next year - I hope they another series is announced that takes place AFTER Goku left with Uub. The ToP arc already feels like a grand finale despite some people denying this although I'd still like at least two episodes dedicated to a final Goku and Beerus rematch to satisfy the fans.

The thing is that while everyone has been enjoying Super, I've been slightly annoyed we still haven't reach Uub yet. Resurrection 'F' advertised the plot taking place after the end of the manga in a kind of clickbait way, only to find out: Nope, still Z-era! As much as I enjoy Super for bringing old and new elements, characters, and stories into the series - It's may be time to move on. This series has almost been out for three years, which is more than GT and about the same amount as OG Dragon Ball.

Long story short, I just want a new Dragon Ball series that can finally get fans to stop saying UUB AND PAN ARE THE WORST CHARACTERS EVER. Besides, Toyotaro said Super will reach the end of the original manga so only time will tell what happens after that. As of now, we know nothing about the current state of Super besides all of its home releases going through March (to episode 133, which could be the final episode for all we know) and this Kitaro series being announced.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 am

Don't worry about what others say in regards to characters you like. You like who you like. They can't take that away from you.
Michsi wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: What kitaro thing?

Oh dear, so we're back to the wringing our hands until March. If we didn't have a proper reason to think they'd pull the plug on Super, we do now. The movie will probably require a lot of attention and the animation schedule seems to be difficult enough already.
There's still hope dbs is safe! They didn't mention FujiTV under the copyright meaning Kitaro may not air there at all.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 am

More preview images for 122

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 am

Dyspo actually looks menacing. Curious if he'll be able to win over the people who think he's a wash-up after he chose to avoid Freeza that one time.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 am

Michsi wrote:Dyspo actually looks menacing. Curious if he'll be able to win over the people who think he's a wash-up after he chose to avoid Freeza that one time.
That's just berrus when you tell him no pudding for you today..

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:01 am

precita wrote:I'm sick of my boy Gohan getting screwed. I can only hope he is in the final 2 of the tournament for his glory moments. I feel like Gohan's performance at this point will make or break his character in the eyes of the fandom. Rebuilding him as a fighter only for him not to do anything important would be the last straw that breaks the camels back for people, and nobody will care or believe he will do anything again.
You're living in a bubble. There are plenty of Gohan fans, including myself, that are completely fine with his performance. You need to realize that he's not a main character, and he likely isn't ever going to be. He's not going to one shot gut punch the main bad guy. Do you not see how greedy you're being? You're literally saying that his character will be ruined because he didn't finish in the FINAL TWO of an 80 PERSON tournament. Just take a step back and realize how utterly ungrateful that sounds. Speak for yourself in this regard.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:04 am

Yuya Takahashi's just going around with a tray of Ferrero Rocher, really spoiling us.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 am

I hate to be a party pooper, but I really wish they'd stop with this image spam. And apparently there's more to come, every day of the week...A bit overkill I'd say. They're hyping the episode up way too much, to the point where I feel we're going to be disappointed. They're treating it damn near like the special, yet my hunch is that it's merely a solid action episode that looks prettier than usual.

Or I'm wrong and this is the single greatest episode of DB of all time that warrants a week's worth of pictures.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 am

I would like Kitaro to take up Super's spot while the staff can focus on the movie and pre-production for the next show.
This would be the perfect moment to end Super and start a new show later on, as it would free up Toriyama and all the staff who must be very busy right now, while Toyotaro can give us his monthly manga while Super is suspended.
Then, later this year or even in 2019, they can bring Dragon Ball back with a new show (not Super) set after EoZ, done with better planning and new character designs which we really need right now. The new show could be what Z was to Dragon Ball.
All things add up to something like this happening: there's the Blu-Ray disc, which conveniently ends at episode 133, there's the Uub foreshadowing that suggests EoZ comes after ToP, there's a new movie in the making, and the ToP is a great way to end Super and also a parallel to DB which ended with a tournament before DBZ took its place.
I know with all the revenue Super is making it may not be the best idea to suspend any Dragon Ball show, but if this means they can create even more hype for the show finally set after the end of the manga, then it might be a good idea to end Super.
They could also continue the new show straight from DBZ episode 292, so they could use the much more famous and recognizable "Dragon Ball Z" brand, and the manga too could continue from chapter 520, essentially creating a true sequel to the anime/manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 am

I think you're all getting way ahead of yourselves with all of this. Super has had its ups & downs, but it's not going anywhere.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 am

RedShift wrote:I think you're all getting way ahead of yourselves with all of this. Super has had its ups & downs, but it's not going anywhere.
Hope not, but we dont know for sure.