"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:42 am

As much as I like Super, it going on a break would only be beneficial for Dragon Ball as a whole.
We are surely getting lots of Dragon Ball stuff and if Super really ends it's 100% guaranteed there will be a new DB show in the future, may it be a continuation of Super still in the 10 years gap or after EoZ, a straight continuation of DBZ from episode 292 (it's probably impossible) or a brand new show. In the meanwhile, they would have time to generate more hype for the movie as many more people would be willing to see it if there's no Dragon Ball show airing, and the movie could also further hype up the next show. There's also FighterZ and the manga.

That is all just wishful thinking but there's never been a better moment than this to put Dragon Ball on a break.

By the way Nozawa will probably voice Kitaro's main character, which adds fuel to the speculation. Even though Toshio said his episode will air in the future which implied not during the ToP. It could very well be episode 133 though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 am

Artorias wrote:I hate to be a party pooper, but I really wish they'd stop with this image spam. And apparently there's more to come, every day of the week...A bit overkill I'd say. They're hyping the episode up way too much, to the point where I feel we're going to be disappointed. They're treating it damn near like the special, yet my hunch is that it's merely a solid action episode that looks prettier than usual.

Or I'm wrong and this is the single greatest episode of DB of all time that warrants a week's worth of pictures.
The sad part is, from what we know of this episode, all it really has going for it is the Takahashi visuals. The actual plot sounds like it's just "Vegeta fights Jiren, it goes how you'd expect." There needs to be a bigger hook than visuals. At least 109/110 and 114 had other things going for them besides lookin' purty.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:07 am

Ki Breaker wrote:More Toyotaro doodles..

Toyo has been doodling a little too many new angles and gods of destruction for fun when his manuscript is all messed up isn't it..
Not saying that means something but that definitely means something..
It is definitely suspicious,he is only doodling gods and angels and then posts them on twitter.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 am

Hawk9211 wrote:

Toyo has been doodling a little too many new angles and gods of destruction for fun when his manuscript is all messed up isn't it..
It is definitely suspicious,he is only doodling gods and angels and then posts them on twitter.
Whichever team wins the top will have its members babysit the Grand Priest's newborns.
Angel Babysitting Arc confirmed!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:08 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Artorias wrote:I hate to be a party pooper, but I really wish they'd stop with this image spam. And apparently there's more to come, every day of the week...A bit overkill I'd say. They're hyping the episode up way too much, to the point where I feel we're going to be disappointed. They're treating it damn near like the special, yet my hunch is that it's merely a solid action episode that looks prettier than usual.

Or I'm wrong and this is the single greatest episode of DB of all time that warrants a week's worth of pictures.
The sad part is, from what we know of this episode, all it really has going for it is the Takahashi visuals. The actual plot sounds like it's just "Vegeta fights Jiren, it goes how you'd expect." There needs to be a bigger hook than visuals. At least 109/110 and 114 had other things going for them besides lookin' purty.
I'm usually a sucker for visuals, aka it's usually enough alone to keep me invested, but this episode seems particularly lacking in any sort of narrative...excitement I guess you could say. The spoilers have essentially revealed that this is pretty much a nothing episode in terms of advancing the plot. So it's just kinda weird to me that they're hyping up an episode that is literally nothing but a fight that will lead nowhere.

I love Takahashi as much as everyone else, but it's just a bit weird that seemingly his artwork alone is causing this much of a push from Toei. Again who knows, maybe it's the most hype, well animated, well written episode of the whole series, but until it airs I remain a bit skeptical in the face of this much promotion.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:56 am

I don't see any point in worrying about the Kitaro project right now. Like Herms pointed out on Ajay's tweet, Kitaro has had multiple series in multiple time slots and the one that did air in Super's ended 9 years ago. There haven't been any network announcements or anything regarding this one yet. It's another one of those "the dvd box set has an extra episode!" things.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 am

Very interesting picture. If it means something, my best guess would be, that we might witness the birth of a new universe, which gets its corresponding new-born angel. That event could be in a new arc, a flashback or an origin story.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 am

My idea is that we will visit the Angels' realm, which is why Toyotaro is practicing drawing all these Angels.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 am

emperior wrote:My idea is that we will visit the Angels' realm, which is why Toyotaro is practicing drawing all these Angels.
I missed that possibility. I guess that's because I always assumed that angels are created/bred no sooner than they are needed and that there are no more angels than there are (or have been) universes.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 am

I'm calling it now. The omni-king is an infant angel in disguise. This is the fundamental reason the angels are spared and why they aren't afraid of him.
I said it here FIRST!! Time will tell if I'm right.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 am

Yeah... I think we're looking a bit too deeply into this whole "Kitaro is going to replace Super" scenario. I don't see any logical reason why the Production Committee would let one of Japan's biggest anime-based money spinners be suddenly pulled of the air. Super works as a good advertisement for Bandai (in regards to merchandise), is still one of Fuji TV's consistently highest rated TV shows and the manga is selling very well for Shueisha, all things considered. As much as I would like Super to take break, for the sake catching up on lost pre-production time and improving the general quality of the show, it ain't gonna happen because, well, money talks. And Dragon Ball Super right now is shouting at the top of its lungs.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 am

Here are all those "these are x that don't actually exist" doodles Toyotaro has posted:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Plus that Makorra Angel that was spotted in his workspace during that one interview. It's certainly curious that he's practicing Gods and Angels when we've already seen the gods of all 12 universes. :think:
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 am

darzap wrote:
emperior wrote:My idea is that we will visit the Angels' realm, which is why Toyotaro is practicing drawing all these Angels.
I missed that possibility. I guess that's because I always assumed that angels are created/bred no sooner than they are needed and that there are no more angels than there are (or have been) universes.
The manga said the Angels are guides deployed from elsewhere, which is why I assume there are more Angels than Universes and I believe there's a realm full of them, where the Angels from erased universes go to live until they are called to be a Hakaishin's guide.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I don't see any point in worrying about the Kitaro project right now. Like Herms pointed out on Ajay's tweet, Kitaro has had multiple series in multiple time slots and the one that did air in Super's ended 9 years ago. There haven't been any network announcements or anything regarding this one yet. It's another one of those "the dvd box set has an extra episode!" things.

I definitely don't think anyone should be losing any sleep over this, but as I've always said, it's best to keep an open mind. Just like there are so many things that point towards Super not getting cancelled any time soon, there are also enough to support the notion that this may be it's final arc. Let's wait and see.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:I really hate this 'war' in this fandom.

Goku fans v Vegeta fans v Gohan fans v Piccolo fans.

For fucks sake, am I the only one who's a fan of all of them?
Same I like all of them and hate this constant fighting on who deserves the Glory can't all of them get

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 am

I swear, I almost thought this was just Turbo Norimaki (Senbei and Midori's son from Dr. Slump) in Whis' outfit.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:06 am

dragonballhero wrote: I swear, I almost thought this was just Turbo Norimaki (Senbei and Midori's son from Dr. Slump) in Whis' outfit.
That's what I thought too.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am

I wouldnt mind a hiatus because DBS needs to clean house, the first thing they should do is Fire Kitano, get rid of 50% of directors and script writers, make Toshio the head writer, Tomioka will be busy with Captain Tsubasa and Pokemon.

The worst thing of Kitaro replacing DBS is that Freeza will get trolled AGAIN

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 am

emperior wrote:In the meanwhile, they would have time to generate more hype for the movie as many more people would be willing to see it if there's no Dragon Ball show airing
That's..just wrong and not really how it works in Japan, particularly for long running anime. An airing anime is like having a weekly advertisement for your movie, where you can hype it up every week for months in advance, like it's done for One Piece. There's a reason they made an anime crossover to promote BoG.

That's kind of like saying more people would be willing to read a manga if there's no anime adaptation anymore, when it's the opposite that always happens.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am

Chuquita wrote:Toei announced a new Kitaro project. Ajay tweeted about it here: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/948380650238771200
ANN posted an article here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ry/.126000
It's the show that used to have Super's timeslot before Super began.
I don't think this show is gonna replace Super for good, probably a briefhiatus.
emperior wrote:As much as I like Super, it going on a break would only be beneficial for Dragon Ball as a whole.
My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't care about a 6 month hiatus or something like that if Super or a new series returned after with oustanding animated episodes.[/quote]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?