"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 am

Araki wrote:That's..just wrong and not really how it works in Japan, particularly for long running anime. An airing anime is like having a weekly advertisement for your movie, where you can hype it up every week for months in advance, like it's done for One Piece. There's a reason they made an anime crossover to promote BoG.

That's kind of like saying more people would be willing to read a manga if there's no anime adaptation anymore, when it's the opposite that always happens.
As someone who doesn't watch One Piece, I'm curious how those movies work relative to the series. Are they in continuity with the events of the main show?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:44 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Araki wrote:That's..just wrong and not really how it works in Japan, particularly for long running anime. An airing anime is like having a weekly advertisement for your movie, where you can hype it up every week for months in advance, like it's done for One Piece. There's a reason they made an anime crossover to promote BoG.

That's kind of like saying more people would be willing to read a manga if there's no anime adaptation anymore, when it's the opposite that always happens.
As someone who doesn't watch One Piece, I'm curious how those movies work relative to the series. Are they in continuity with the events of the main show?
Sometimes. They work more like the way old Z movies used to. Series arcs remixed or repurposed as movies (think Janemba instead of Buu, Cooler instead of Freeza, DB's 10 anniversary movie, etc). Oda's gotten into being involved with the movies lately and the plots have become more original as a result, but while character powers are concurrent with the anime, having all the straw-hats together isn't. In fact the movies are now more an occasion to see all of Luffy's crew in the same place, which hasn't been possible in the manga for a good while.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 pm

They're probably taking a break so they can put the effort into adapting the movie, so they won't repeat the quality mistakes of the first 2 arcs.
Feels over Reals.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Or maybe Super isn't going to be affected at all? We simply don't have enough information at the moment to start freaking out about the show ending or having been cancelled. We've done this dance several times now (Kamen Rider getting the same timeslot as Super, the 72 Blu-ray episodes thing, the 133 Blu-ray episodes thing...), so I think we should know better. Let's wait until we know more.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm

i have had 2 Withdrawal Syndromes by leaving my antidepressants twice. They suck.

If super even goes to a hiatus after ToP, I'm gonna have the worst WS i will ever get :( :( :(

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm

I don't think DB is going off air for Kitaro, and if it does it'll just be back in 6 or so months.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Super should probably just have 26 episodes a year. There's really no reason for it to air all year round.

Imagine how good the animation and story planning would be if we only got 26 eps a year. That's how western cartoons do things, they have 26 episode seasons and that's it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm

I've seen that said about One Piece too, but animation production doesn't work that way in Japan. Not usually. They've got their own precedent for how cartoons are run and that weekly serial style is just what they do.

The closest U.S. comparison I can think of are the dead format of old radio dramas and the dying form of soap operas of run until there's nothing profitable left in the can.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Chuquita wrote:I've seen that said about One Piece too, but animation production doesn't work that way in Japan. Not usually. They've got their own precedent for how cartoons are run and that weekly serial style is just what they do.

The closest U.S. comparison I can think of are the dead format of old radio dramas and the dying form of soap operas of run until there's nothing profitable left in the can.
The season format is actually becoming more and more common in anime.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:37 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I've seen that said about One Piece too, but animation production doesn't work that way in Japan. Not usually. They've got their own precedent for how cartoons are run and that weekly serial style is just what they do.

The season format is actually becoming more and more common in anime.
And that's good, I think. Healthier for the staff involved and while I don't follow any of the reoccurring shounen seasonals I presume they're more solid products than their weekly forever counterparts.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 pm

I just can't understand why anime makers thought it was a good idea for shonen anime to air every single week non-stop till it ended. When you think about what a workload that must be, even if there are tons of different animators or writers, that's still literally planning and finishing a 22 minute episode every single week for years non-stop.

It's just nonsensical when you think about it. It's no surprise a lot of Japan's anime studios are known for being sweatshops where workers complain about being worked to death for low pay.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm

precita wrote:I just can't understand why anime makers thought it was a good idea for shonen anime to air every single week non-stop till it ended. When you think about what a workload that must be, even if there are tons of different animators or writers, that's still literally planning and finishing a 22 minute episode every single week for years non-stop.

It's just nonsensical when you think about it. It's no surprise a lot of Japan's anime studios are known for being sweatshops where workers complain about being worked to death for low pay.

Japanese tv from my understanding can be extremely competitive with slots, or at least has been till very recently

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Wait... Did i miss something??! Why is everyone around here talking as if Super is going to quit or take a break...? i’ve read no such thing, and quite honestly the mere thought of it’s possibility, is already criminal and irrational. It makes no sense and people need to stop spreading lies and stop worrying.

If anything, Super ONLY airing just once a week, is something that i can barely stand. It takes way too long to wait a whole 7-8 days every single goddamn week! Life was much more fun as a child when DBZ aired every single freaking day on Cartoon Network. (At least at work days). People saying that it airing once a week is too much for Super, have got their philosophy upside down in this case.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:42 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Wait... Did i miss something??! Why is everyone around here talking as if Super is going to quit or take a break...? i’ve read no such thing, and quite honestly the mere thought of it’s possibility, is already criminal and irrational. It makes no sense and people need to stop spreading lies and stop worrying.
A new show has been announced for March (?) and that show used to have Super's time slot. It's just speculation at this point, nothing more.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm

It's the Monster Hunter situation all over again. Until there's more information about it, there's no point in talking about Super being replaced.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Michsi wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Wait... Did i miss something??! Why is everyone around here talking as if Super is going to quit or take a break...? i’ve read no such thing, and quite honestly the mere thought of it’s possibility, is already criminal and irrational. It makes no sense and people need to stop spreading lies and stop worrying.
A new show has been announced for March (?) and that show used to have Super's time slot. It's just speculation at this point, nothing more.
Not only that, but Masako Nozawa (the voice actress for Goku in Japan) voices Kitarou, the main character of that show.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Michsi wrote:
No date has been given.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Kind of suspicious since the TOP is probably going to end sometime in March.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

precita wrote:I just can't understand why anime makers thought it was a good idea for shonen anime to air every single week non-stop till it ended. When you think about what a workload that must be, even if there are tons of different animators or writers, that's still literally planning and finishing a 22 minute episode every single week for years non-stop.

There are 4 reasons why they do it and will always.

1. Advertisement. Anime is mostly made to sell manga or light novels. and by having it constantly in your face, you will be more inclined to buy it. Hence why sales usually go up with anime and drop off with anime. Bleach is great example as is Fairy tail.

2. Competition. There are over 40 anime that come out every season, the odds of people watching their show is very low especially if no one is talking about it and thats a lot of money and time going into an anime no one is watching.

3.Longevity. Long running anime stops when the show loses popularity or the manga ends. Seasonal anime stops when the season does and most of them don't come back because they didn't make the money back or they will tell you to read the manga so they can. Which sucks for us in the west.

4. Hype. Look at attack on titan season 1 and 2. The former shook the community and skyrocketed the sales to be one of the best of all time. I knew so much about the show without even watching it. Look at season 2. It came then it left. Why because it nearly 4 years. I saw it the animation was great, too bad not many watched and it had half the episodes. Season 3 is coming out next year and i doubt it will do better.

I gurantee you if kai or super were seasonal, we would only get , sailor moon crystal proved that and you might think it would give you better animation again, sailor moon crystal proved it wouldn't.

The problem with Super isn't that its longrunning, the problem is that it had bad pre production. Z was long running as was Bleach and both of those shows had better fights than current short running shonen.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Another thing is that animation is taken far more seriously in Japan than in the west. You have anime for adults, kids and teens, while cartoons are considered to be for kids here and adult cartoons are comedies.

As for more solid productions, well some are more solid like one punch man and attack on titan season 1 while others are abysmal like Black clover or Jojo's, things don't move in jojo and a lot of frames are repeated
Last edited by Totamo on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.