"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

perucho1990
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:35 pm

In Sailor Moons Crystal case, they cleaned house after how badly S1 and S2 did in all aspects. DBS needs to clean house too, get people who care about the franchise and give them good prep time.

if DBS goes to hiatus we know it will return, you guys think that the anime will end without getting Goku vs Beerus final fight, Vegeta finally achieving UI mode?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 pm

perucho1990 wrote:In Sailor Moons Crystal case, they cleaned house after how badly S1 and S2 did in all aspects. DBS needs to clean house too, get people who care about the franchise and give them good prep time.
You say this like the people that are working on the show under a harsh production don't care about the series.
Do you really think they'd subject themselves to a production like Super if they didn't care about the franchise?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Considering the last batch of Super eps only got in the 4.0's, and the TOP is on track to be the lowest rated Super arc, maybe it is time for the series to do a bit of rebranding after it ends. I fully expect them to finally move to EOZ and focus on Goku training Uub, Goten and Trunks becoming major characters, and maybe even Pan/Marron/Bra as they focus on the "next generation" of kids. Hopefully Gohan remains relevant while Goku/Vegeta take a backseat to the bahamas.

Otherwise I guess that's it, time to pack up your bags and go home, everyone. Super won't be canceled, but I can see it going on hiatus for a few months. It's been fun, everyone.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 pm

precita wrote:Considering the last batch of Super eps only got in the 4.0's, and the TOP is on track to be the lowest rated Super arc, maybe it is time for the series to do a bit of rebranding after it ends. I fully expect them to finally move to EOZ and focus on Goku training Uub, Goten and Trunks becoming major characters, and maybe even Pan/Marron/Bra as they focus on the "next generation" of kids. Hopefully Gohan remains relevant while Goku/Vegeta take a backseat to the bahamas.

Otherwise I guess that's it, time to pack up your bags and go home, everyone. Super won't be canceled, but I can see it going on hiatus for a few months. It's been fun, everyone.
The future trunks arc had the highest rated and the tournament of power has the lowest rated.

If super was losing steam, shouldn't FT be rated lower too?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 pm

precita wrote:Considering the last batch of Super eps only got in the 4.0's, and the TOP is on track to be the lowest rated Super arc, maybe it is time for the series to do a bit of rebranding after it ends. I fully expect them to finally move to EOZ and focus on Goku training Uub, Goten and Trunks becoming major characters, and maybe even Pan/Marron/Bra as they focus on the "next generation" of kids. Hopefully Gohan remains relevant while Goku/Vegeta take a backseat to the bahamas.

A. Super is still in the top 10 every week, there are shit tons of anime airing and Super beats the vast majority of them.
B. Super now has heavier competition than it did previously.
C. The franchise is making more money now that it has in the past 20 years and it's still growing
D. Live ratings don't matter for a show like Super
E. They aren't taking Goku out of the main character role.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Looking ahead, I logged into Kanzenshuu today purely for WSJ spoiler discussions :shifty:
Will we get a WSJ this week since 123 came out last week? Either way we should get Animage this weekend, I think.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:26 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: You say this like the people that are working on the show under a harsh production don't care about the series.
Do you really think they'd subject themselves to a production like Super if they didn't care about the franchise?

Crystal got a new series director for Season 3(who was said to be a big fan of Sailor Moon) and besides animation the show felt like old school Sailor Moon, by bringing back the comedy for example.

Its obvious most of the people working in dbs dont care about powerscaling and logic( See Holding back and Stamina issues) which have become memes.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Looking ahead, I logged into Kanzenshuu today purely for WSJ spoiler discussions :shifty:
Will we get a WSJ this week since 123 came out last week? Either way we should get Animage this weekend, I think.
I'm pretty sure we are getting a Jump summary. I think they're back from break for a while. I could be wrong.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Even if Super does get a break that doesn't mean that it will come back better.
Alruneia wrote:We've done this dance several times now (Kamen Rider getting the same timeslot as Super, the 72 Blu-ray episodes thing, the 133 Blu-ray episodes thing...), so I think we should know better. Let's wait until we know more.
It's 131 episodes now.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0753CSJGT

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
I'm pretty sure we are getting a Jump summary. I think they're back from break for a while. I could be wrong.
I don't think so, we got the 123 Jump preview last week.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Will we get a WSJ this week since 123 came out last week? Either way we should get Animage this weekend, I think.
I don't think so, we got the 123 Jump preview last week.
WSJ breaks are over until Golden Week now, I believe. We'll get a preview at some stage today.

And monthly 10th-ish spoilers will drop between now and Wednesday

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
WSJ breaks are over until Golden Week now, I believe. We'll get a preview at some stage today.

The monthly ones will drop on Friday or Saturday, but I'm not so sure on us getting a Jump preview this week since we already got 123 last week.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

The monthly ones will drop on Friday or Saturday, but I'm not so sure on us getting a Jump preview this week since we already got 123 last week.
But last month we got synopses of the monthly magazines in two moments, right?

One at the beginning of the month (as it usually is) and another at the end of the month (supposedly, these synopses would be released in early January, but somehow they were released earlier, perhaps because of the holidays?).

But I also remember that sometimes we get synopses of two monthly magazines. At the end of last month, we already received from one magazine, maybe we got from another one now

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
But last month we got synopses of the monthly magazines in two moments, right?

One at the beginning of the month (as it usually is) and another at the end of the month (supposedly, these synopses would be released in early January, but somehow they were released earlier, perhaps because of the holidays?).

But I also remember that sometimes we get synopses of two monthly magazines. At the end of last month, we already received from one magazine, maybe we got from another one now
The two magazines come within days of each other, but we got one magazine early last week, we'll get the other this week.
Thinking about it we might not get it till Sunday, but I think Saturday is most likely.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Even if Super does get a break that doesn't mean that it will come back better.
Alruneia wrote:We've done this dance several times now (Kamen Rider getting the same timeslot as Super, the 72 Blu-ray episodes thing, the 133 Blu-ray episodes thing...), so I think we should know better. Let's wait until we know more.
It's 131 episodes now.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0753CSJGT
What's interesting is that (unless I'm mistaken), Amazon doesn't have set 12 announced. If I recall, 11 was announced around October or November. Surely 12 should have been announced by now :think:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

shadowmaria wrote: What's interesting is that (unless I'm mistaken), Amazon doesn't have set 12 announced. If I recall, 11 was announced around October or November. Surely 12 should have been announced by now :think:
No, they often announce them in batches, so 12 will probably be announced alongside 13 and maybe 14.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:There's always a chance Kitaro could just be another Toei's Sailor Moon Crystal (air online as a bi-weekly web series) or air on a not!FujiTV network like Toei did with the recent Digimon. NJ_ quoted a tweet about how there's no TV station listed for this Kitaro series: https://twitter.com/NJ_/status/948388602148474880

But Super-as-an-advertisement is making Shueisha so much money! I can't imagine they'd up and put it on break. Not even One Piece's anime gets to just go on break.
And yet I still have a small amount of nagging doubt with the whole grandiose scale of the ToP both in plot and in sheer size of the arc compared to all those that came before it. It feels like it could be a finale, no? I hope not though; I don't want Super to end here.

I'm anxious, but gonna wait and see if Ajay makes a video on all this in the morning explaining more stuff about it.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Super ended after the ToP. Some DB people claim it's going to continue after the ToP Arc for merchandise reasons, but I wouldn't mind if it didn't. Still, if Super is indeed ending next year - I hope they another series is announced that takes place AFTER Goku left with Uub. The ToP arc already feels like a grand finale despite some people denying this although I'd still like at least two episodes dedicated to a final Goku and Beerus rematch to satisfy the fans.

The thing is that while everyone has been enjoying Super, I've been slightly annoyed we still haven't reach Uub yet. Resurrection 'F' advertised the plot taking place after the end of the manga in a kind of clickbait way, only to find out: Nope, still Z-era! As much as I enjoy Super for bringing old and new elements, characters, and stories into the series - It's may be time to move on. This series has almost been out for three years, which is more than GT and about the same amount as OG Dragon Ball.

Long story short, I just want a new Dragon Ball series that can finally get fans to stop saying UUB AND PAN ARE THE WORST CHARACTERS EVER. Besides, Toyotaro said Super will reach the end of the original manga so only time will tell what happens after that. As of now, we know nothing about the current state of Super besides all of its home releases going through March (to episode 133, which could be the final episode for all we know) and this Kitaro series being announced.
Honestly it makes sense for Super to end if the narrative is to have Goku master UI (something the GoD haven't done yet) to fight a character beyond the level of GoD. There's not really anywhere to go from there unless the 4 exempt universes have fighters stronger than Jiren or Frieza does something crazy at the end of the ToP.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 pm

I highly doubt Super is going to end while it's doing this well. One Piece got movies while it was airing so there's no reason to think Super can't. In terms of the new show Toei's working on, why would it replace super of all shows ? I know it used to have its time slot but I don't think that's enough to say it will with other channels being available for it to air on or even just another time slot. Super airing with One Piece is a big marketing advantage they have that they'd be crazy to change.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 pm

If we go beyond EoZ, then lets give Pan and Uub a fair chance like we did it with Android 17.

No one wanted 17 in first place after what GT did to him and then he turned out to be the best support character in the ToP.