Is there a need for the existence of this specific Trunks' timeline?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terra-jin
Regular

Re: Is there a need for the existence of this specific Trunks' timeline?

Post by Terra-jin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:36 pm

KBABZ wrote:I think so and it makes sense. Firstly, the Androids blow up most the lab before they leave (at least in the Z Timeline), and Trunks and Krillin would of course return later to the secret basement lab. But second and more importantly, Dr. Gero made a creation whose power is dependent on absorbing the two delinquents. There's no way they would have agreed to that, hence Gero would obviously want to keep the lab where he created Cell hidden from them.
That does make sense. And it's compatible with manga canon.
For fact-checking's sake, do we know what method Cell used to kill Unseen Trunks?
Nope. In the manga, Cell just states he killed Trunks. No confirmation that Unseen Trunks was weaker than Cell.
It's all GOOD

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Terra-jin wrote:
For fact-checking's sake, do we know what method Cell used to kill Unseen Trunks?
Nope. In the manga, Cell just states he killed Trunks. No confirmation that Unseen Trunks was weaker than Cell.
Dammit! Worded my question wrong (I've been tired lately). I meant to ask if we know what method Unseen Trunks used to disable, take out or otherwise permanently incapacitate the Future Androids.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 pm

The manga doesn't specify. According to Herms (ref: History of Ever) the Daizenshuu 7 is the only source that mentions Unseen Trunks using the remote. He further says that "apparently there are problems with the shut down controller scenario", but leaves out why exactly.
It's all GOOD

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Terra-jin wrote:The manga doesn't specify. According to Herms (ref: History of Ever) the Daizenshuu 7 is the only source that mentions Unseen Trunks using the remote. He further says that "apparently there are problems with the shut down controller scenario", but leaves out why exactly.
I wonder what the problem is specifically?

This is off-topic, but I've kinda become jaded with the supposed authoritative nature of the Daizenshuu guidebooks, because all the additional information was made up by the editors. I'd rather go back to the original source (that is, the Japanese versions of the manga/anime/films) than go to a book that makes some details up. I'm sure a fair bunch of it has been contradicted by Super at this point anyways.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Personally, I regard the matter of what's canon or authoritative as purely subjective. It's entirely up to the fan what he/she accepts as canon. None of it is actually true, anyway ;)
It's all GOOD

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Terra-jin wrote:Personally, I regard the matter of what's canon or authoritative as purely subjective. It's entirely up to the fan what he/she accepts as canon. None of it is actually true, anyway ;)
I think I've said before that to me there are multiple canons (or continuities). Manga + Super is one, and the anime is another.

ahill1
Regular

Re: Is there a need for the existence

Post by ahill1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
ahill1 wrote:
ahill1 wrote:@dbgtFO --> only a doubt and I'd like to hear your opinion. How do you think Trunks [from Cell's timeline] killed the androids if he didn't travel to the past? He couldn't have possibly found out about the underground laboratory and get the blue prints since he wouldn't know about Cell.
Also, I'd like to see @dbgtFO's opinion on this. He, like me, doesn't see the need for the existence of this unseen timeline, so I'd like to see his opinion on how the Trunks from Cell's timeline would have killed the androids without going to another timeline. Besides, he makes very good points haha.

So, dbgtFO, or someone else who don't see the need for the existence of such timeline, please clarify me that :P
Not so sure, Trunks couldn't get the blueprints, even if there was no Cell to tell him about the existence of the underground basement.
We know for a fact, that main timeline Bulma recognized Dr. Gero on sight and knew he had a lab in the mountains. Cell was of course already in the main timeline, but I'm going out on a limb here and saying I really doubt that should change whether or not Bulma knew that between the two timelines.
So I assume she also knew about that in the second timeline(the timeline, that at the time of the Android's release only differed from the main timeline by not having Cell already there) and so here she and or Trunks puts that knowledge to use by eventually finding it after several years of searching.
Problem here is that they then failed to have the lab be completely destroyed and thus allows Cell to grow, which is of course a ridiculous plot contrivance.

A wacky thought I had was that she weaponized the hoi poi capsules and beat them that way, maybe caught them like Pokemon :lol:

But seriously, while it would be ridiculous, maybe Bulma eventually made one without the blueprints.
It's also possible #16 somehow destroyed #17 and #18 after being unhappy, that they were just destroying stuff.
Or maybe Trunks just got strong enough to beat them after years of training.
Either way I have to resort to quite some assumptions..
Furthermore, can someone answer me how many timelines there are at the end of the CGs and Boo saga [before Super] according to Dragon Ball Super? Like I said, iirc, I think there were 4 or 5 timerings and each timering features a timeline iirc. Now that I think there was a timeline many people consider that there wasn't -- a timeline from where the Mirai Trunks who killed Freeza in Cell's timeline came from -- it'd help if there were 5 timelines according to DBS, so that way I could consider this timeline asked in the OP as one that existed. I am trying to write it off because I was told long ago that according to Super there were just 4 timelines in the original manga, so if we consider this timeline the Trunks from Cell's timeline went to, then the timeline the Trunks that killed Freeza in Mirai Cell's timeline came from would have to be written off the story, and I don't like it.
Seems like there are supposed to be 5 timelines, before things started to change with Zamas' death and later the erasure of Future Trunks' timeline and then the creation of another.
Hey, dbgtFO. Another doubt that I'd like to hear your opinion on.

So, considering we don't necessarily assume that panel in which Mecha Freeza was killed by Trunks was Toriyama recycling the art, how'd you explain it:

We know that the Cell's timeline probably wasn't influenced by another Cell traveling from a future TL, like the main timeline was... but going by the way Mecha Freeza and Cold were killed, it seems both were killed in the same way that happened in the main timeline, that also had the influence of a Cell coming from a future TL. So, we are then led to assume that, in Cell's timeline, the fight against Freeza happened in the same way as in the main timeline, even though one had Cell's influence while the other one hadn't? So, Cell's presence did change many things but not Freeza's fight?

I'd like to see your take on this, please!! :wave:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is there a need for the existence

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 pm

ahill1 wrote:Hey, dbgtFO. Another doubt that I'd like to hear your opinion on.

So, considering we don't necessarily assume that panel in which Mecha Freeza was killed by Trunks was Toriyama recycling the art, how'd you explain it:

We know that the Cell's timeline probably wasn't influenced by another Cell traveling from a future TL, like the main timeline was... but going by the way Mecha Freeza and Cold were killed, it seems both were killed in the same way that happened in the main timeline, that also had the influence of a Cell coming from a future TL. So, we are then led to assume that, in Cell's timeline, the fight against Freeza happened in the same way as in the main timeline, even though one had Cell's influence while the other one hadn't? So, Cell's presence did change many things but not Freeza's fight?

I'd like to see your take on this, please!! :wave:
The terminology is getting confusing but here's my personal take. The artwork used is likely there so that it feels familiar to the audience, even if it contradicts Trunks' perspective of those events. It's also possible, albeit extremely unlikely, that Goku had killed Frieza and King Cold in an identical fashion to Trunks. Lastly, it's also possible that Trunks is simply recalling his version of events because he wasn't even born when Frieza and Cold were slain.

Cell's presence meanwhile would not have changed the Frieza fight. He and Cold arrive in a very different location, and despite Future Cell being there for a year, he's laying low specifically to avoid strong guys like Frieza and Trunks, until he can mature enough to absorb people and gain more power.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 pm