If the U7 Kaioshin can read minds how can he not read the opponents' minds and talk to the U7 team?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

puar
Beyond Newbie

If the U7 Kaioshin can read minds how can he not read the opponents' minds and talk to the U7 team?

Post by puar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

He did this to Piccolo in Z. He read his mind and talked into his mind. If he can do that he could tell the U7 team anything about the other opponents.

Torturephile
Regular

Re: If the U7 Kaioshin can read minds how can he not read the opponents' minds and talk to the U7 team?

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:31 pm

He also read Vegeta's mind while flying to Babidi's hideout. It somehow was never brought up again as he lost relevance as the Buu saga progressed. Even other characters like Goku also lost it. Probably a one time use ability.

He spent time figuring out what the red letters in your post mean instead.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: If the U7 Kaioshin can read minds how can he not read the opponents' minds and talk to the U7 team?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm

I also wondered why Gowasu didn't use that ability to discover the full extension and depth of Zamasu's hatred for mortals (since Gowasu was an old and experienced Supreme Kai). I guess they 'forgot' about that ability for the plot's sake.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:I also wondered why Gowasu didn't use that ability to discover the full extension and depth of Zamasu's hatred for mortals (since Gowasu was an old and experienced Supreme Kai). I guess they 'forgot' about that ability for the plot's sake.
That's....a really good point. Huh.

ssjgbunnyman

Post by ssjgbunnyman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Well if he can do it by right the Kaioshin from the opposing universes should be capable of it as well and once they figure out what Shin is doing what's to stop them from doing it too?

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:40 pm

would you call this a plot hole?
Well if he can do it by right the Kaioshin from the opposing universes should be capable of it as well and once they figure out what Shin is doing what's to stop them from doing it too?
interesting point. dont you think that if all kaioshin did this. this would make the tournament far more interesting? we know belmud can do it. so beerus can do it too?

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Roshi can read minds and so can Goku but they only ever do it once.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 pm

would you call this a plot hole?
Not really. It would be a plot hole if Shin outright stated 'I'm sorry Goku, i'm afraid even Supreme Kais can't read the minds of mortals' or something along those lines. That would be a plot hole, because it would conflict with previously estabilished lore.

Maybe Shin doesn't want to talk telepathically with his team because he's afraid the Grand Priest would find out and would disqualify them, seeing as external aid is forbidden by the rules of the Tournament (see Frost).
That's....a really good point. Huh.
I don't know, i just assume Gowasu had that ability like Shin, so it's strange to me that Gowasu didn't try to read Zamasu's mind to find out just how far his hatred for mortals was. Seems to me that would have avoided a lot of trouble. I guess Gods are immune to such an ability, or Zamasu somehow, someway, devised a way to shield his mind from such an ability. But that's another subject.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 pm

On that topic, isn't this more or less what Belmod did for Jiren in order to "activate" him (with the exception of reading opposite teams' minds)?
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Mind reading in Dragonball is one of those powers that only comes up when the writers remember it exists.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Mind reading in Dragonball is one of those powers that only comes up when the writers remember it exists.
That's completely what I think happened here. But, it doesn't make it a plothole if anyone asks about that.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 am

Totamo wrote:Roshi can read minds and so can Goku but they only ever do it once.
Telepathy really is an underused skill, as shown in the Naruto series with the Yamanaka Clan it could be used strategically to help teammates communicate and work together more effectively on the battlefield, but Toriyama doesn't really care about battles being won by using teamwork and tactics, just beam spams and the Saiyans.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 am

Zeru14 wrote:
Totamo wrote:Roshi can read minds and so can Goku but they only ever do it once.
Telepathy really is an underused skill, as shown in the Naruto series with the Yamanaka Clan it could be used strategically to help teammates communicate and work together more effectively on the battlefield, but Toriyama doesn't really care about battles being won by using teamwork and tactics, just beam spams and the Saiyans.
TBF, most of the fandom doesn't either or Ball would be more iconic here.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Telepathy along with material creation magic are possible for Shinjin. In theory, Shin could make anything he wanted -- the possibilities are endless there. You could make airborne pathogenic microbes materialise all around the target that induce hallucinations, suffocation, dehydration or any other number of symptomatic biological conditions. Biology takes its course and you hopefully come out the victor.

What's being described in the topic here sounds a bit like what would constitute as outside interference. I'm not sure how Zeno and Daishinkan would feel about internally reading the mindset of opponents then relaying it to their own competitors. To be fair, Champa intended to confuse Dyspo's auditory pathway with an instrument before Vados corrected him on its insufficient applicability.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 am

Maybe there's a range limit on Kaioshin mind-reading? The times he's done it before, like with Piccolo and Vegeta, he was always within 20 feet or so of the other person. Maybe he can telepathically SPEAK to the team from the stands (North Kaio had the ability to speak to people over long distances this way, though I want to say I remember reading somewhere that the Kaio antennae had something to do with this so maybe Kaioshins actually aren't as good at this as Kaios -- I guess with them being the highest creation gods, their job is more focused on causing planets, stars, and new life to form rather than interacting with mortals?), but he'd have to be in the arena itself to actually read the thoughts of any of the 7th Universe team's opponents, so aside from "look out behind you!" type warnings he wouldn't be able to do that much.