Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 122 (7 January 2018)

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 am

I really great episode!

I liked everything, I liked how its expressed that all three of the top dogs, Jiren, Goku and Vegeta pretty much have different perspectives on what it means to be "strong' and why they wanna become stronger. even though Goku just say "cuz I wanna" is a bit lack luster.

I loved that Dyspo isnt being completely jobbed out by Freeza! I love it because Freeza has been so damn cool and collected this entire time, plucking dudes off here and there and ultimately hoping to Usurp Zeno once the tournament is done.
I'm happy to see him sweat! Even though he most likely will eliminate Dyspo once he goes Golden I hope it isnt until after a Very hard fight.

Same with 17! Seeing his shocked look when Toppo shrugged off Gohan's Kamehameha was great. He now knows that its gonna take some series effort to even put a dent in the big guy. So I cant wait to see Lapis get his face dragged through the dirt! At least I hope it happens.

Easily one of the most interesting parts though, is that Vegeta doesnt care much for having Ultra Instinct, shows even more growth in his character. He's definetly not getting it going off the Next Episode Preview and the New Ending. Which begs the question. Is it really time for a new ending already? I feel like that last one (which was awesome) barely had a chance to sink in.. IDK this new song sucks though lol.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:00 am

...So what's with GoDs and Supreme Kais of eliminated universes showing up in the stands? Did they get revived? Where's Champa?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 am

Couldn't watch the episode earlier due saturday night events, but man this one sure has delivered!

- Certainly a nitpick, but there's wind in the World of Void? How's that possible?

- Vegeta calling Goku epic SSJB transformation a "stupid stunt" was precious

- When Jiren called Vegeta persistant I could only remember that :lol:

- It was very satisfying that Dyspo gave Freeza the 'Broly treatment' :D

- Not really fond of Piccolo explanation: I mean you hurt Vegeta's pride and you get him stronger? Seems cheesy :|

- So Vegeta is going to get a power beyond Blue and it's not UI? FP SSJB perharps? :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 am

Noah wrote:Couldn't watch the episode earlier due saturday night events, but man this one sure has delivered!

- Certainly a nitpick, but there's wind in the World of Void? How's that possible?
Just like there's Oxygen in the world of void.
Noah wrote: - Not really fond of Piccolo explanation: I mean you hurt Vegeta's pride and you get him stronger? Seems cheesy :|
Rage boost.
Noah wrote:
- So Vegeta is going to get a power beyond Blue and it's not UI? FP SSJB perharps? :think:
Check the thread i created. They did a lot of things for this new form.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:57 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:...So what's with GoDs and Supreme Kais of eliminated universes showing up in the stands? Did they get revived? Where's Champa?
Those are the exempted universes.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Man, this pic looks really bad, Yamamuro got stop drawing these endings. Hope Vegeta's new form is better than this in the anime.
gofishus wrote:a little too many Zeno cutaways in this one.. I think I counted 5.. Everytime he does it its annoying and its no exception in this episode as well.
Really annoying, it's like we can't have an episode without any of these.
Melee_Sovereign wrote:Just when Jiren is starting to show personality and started becoming interesting, he's becoming very unlikable again. He's talking about how Vegeta is such an arrogant fighter when Jiren himself is probably the most arrogant Dragon Ball character ever.
I don't think he is, but valid point... Jiren himself was pretty arrogant by the time U7 were about to face U7 in the previous episode, so, by all the matter I think he's hypocrite.
Forte224 wrote:I was rolling my eyes at the Final Flash stuff. It was such an obvious callback to Cell beat for beat that it made Vegeta seem stupid instead of arrogant. That said, I'm super glad Vegeta didn't get eliminated and appears to have an even bigger part in all this than I had ever imagined he would. So, I'm pretty excited.
My thoughts exactly! This callbacks are just mere fanservice and character regression, Vegeta knowing that it was a similar situation when he fought Perfect Cell he would not get carried away like the last time. I wish he stood serious and waited to see if he managed to hurt Jiren, laughing like a freak was silly.
Professor Freeza wrote:
Noah wrote:Certainly a nitpick, but there's wind in the World of Void? How's that possible?
Just like there's Oxygen in the World Of Void.
Pardon for by ignorance, but are oxygen and wind related? Yes I know both are "air" but it's freaking World of Void it should have no breezes.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Noah wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Noah wrote:Certainly a nitpick, but there's wind in the World of Void? How's that possible?
Just like there's Oxygen in the World Of Void.
Pardon for by ignorance, but are oxygen and wind related? Yes I know both are "air" but it's freaking World of Void it should have no breezes.

Presence of Oxygen means there's some gases around. Air or atmosphere means presence of layers of gases.

If you makes a glass box and put in some gases in there. Its still air. Atmosphere is a planetary level term.

Where there's air, there will be wind.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:...So what's with GoDs and Supreme Kais of eliminated universes showing up in the stands? Did they get revived? Where's Champa?
Smart move by the writers too. Even the universe with the might Jiren was just one of the 8 that wasn't strong enough to be exempted.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Great episode,
western stylist introduction gave something different , wind around helped
Vegeta,s pride is nothing new , but was good to be remember the reason of his supposed arrogancy ( I think is just pride ) , and by the way Jiren looks more arrogant
Dyspo is not that easy cake but freezer is gonna fool him
Gohan .. looks far away from Toppo level
Yes they made Vegeta look silly when he saw Jiren in the ground and laught like crazy , that was my only concern in this chapter ,
Anyways I’m happy to start to see some really small weakness of Jiren .. and by Vegeta s hands even more
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:32 pm

lancerman wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:
Smart move by the writers too. Even the universe with the might Jiren was just one of the 8 that wasn't strong enough to be exempted.
That really dose not mean much in the gran scheme of things, there were exempted because their general mortal level was high enough quality t be exempted. And Mortal Level has nothing to do with power as the ToP has clearly shown.

That's not to say they don't have powerful fighters of their own, it very likely, but most of the universes have warriors much weaker then U7's best.

While it was through power absorption, Bergamo is SSB level and he's from the lowest ranked universe. U7 has 2 high level fighters and three god level fighters on their team alone. U6's is no pushover either with warrirors that can rival U7's best. And all of these are from the 3 lowest ranked universes.

The only universes to have warriors of that level are U3 with their Robot Combiner and Aniraza and U11 with Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo and maybe Kunshi. While I love U2 to bits their best just isn't on the same level as those I've mentioned and only truly got to that level with the Pretty Black Hole. U10's fighters were a total joke apart from Obuni. U4 likewise has no fighters truly on the high tier level and really heavily on tricks to win.

Being the top 4 universe dose not automatically mean they have the strongest warriors, it just means their gods are the most competent.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm

lancerman wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:
Its not about Battle Power, its about how balanced and how the universe runs. Hence why Beerus and Shin were arguing with each other about them not doing their jobs.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Amazing episode. I really want every episode to have these splendid Buu saga character designs. Toei has been great with DBS arc finales so far, so let's hope it will stay like this until the end.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Really good episode. And Vegeta landed two solid blows on Jiren. Not even Hit or Ultra Instinct Goku could do that. They didn't do more than surprise him, sure. But they seemed to piss him off.

Here's to hoping Vegeta gets his own unique power going forward. :thumbup:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm

pacz360 wrote:
The gr wrote:Did anyone find it weird that Dyspo send the death threat to Frieza :?:.The New ending was a downgrade,I did not liked it, the song was the only positive.
Freeza is evil so I'm not surprised he said that plus LOL at people saying FF Freeza>dyspo when dyspo was ragdolling his ass
Also jiren talk with goku and vegeta it helped show more of his character and personality something people endlessly been bitching about
They are better way to make Dyspo insult Frieza,have him say some funny quips,a line like that is more suited for U4/U9,not for a group of super heroes :|.I did liked Jiren talking a bit more,he did sound generic in some places.
    What the hell was going on with Goku in the first half,his hair style was diferent.
    Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Really good episode. And Vegeta landed two solid blows on Jiren. Not even Hit or Ultra Instinct Goku could do that. They didn't do more than surprise him, sure. But they seemed to piss him off.

Jiren wasn't fighting Vegeta as hard as he fought Goku though

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Really good episode. And Vegeta landed two solid blows on Jiren. Not even Hit or Ultra Instinct Goku could do that. They didn't do more than surprise him, sure. But they seemed to piss him off.

The reason Vegeta landed those blows was because he saw through Jiren's moves and was able to counter them.Piccolo explains it in the episode. No one made any comment on Vegeta's BP being above UI Goku, he simply cought Jiren by surprise. Infact Vegeta says to Jiren he was stronger and faster vs Goku(most likely talking about UI Goku, since that is the last time Jiren fought Goku somewhat seriously), to which Jiren replies with giving him a beating and nearly knocking Vegeta out of bounds. No doubt vegeta is above Hit in stats and possibly kkx20ssj blue( tho that is stretching it a bit). But initial UI Goku? No way. His final flash could rival the GD in BP, note that is Battle power, since the GD has a flaw that it can be pushed back if the enemy is strong enough, I'm sure if it had exploded in Jiren's face it would have knocked Jiren on his butt.

The reason they had Vegeta get his butt kicked and humiliated this episode, is so that next episode he has a reason to be angry about. So he can go beyond ssj blue without it being total BS and out of the ass, like SSRage( tho i dont mind it, beats Trunks being useless).
    Last edited by buutenks on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Very entertaining episode. Excellent start for the final battle.

Always great to see Vegeta doing his thing and glad that Jiren bothered to use his words to express himself.
    My only problem was the Final Flash sequence which was straight out of the Cell Arc. Super needs to do their own thing.

dbgtFO
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm

The gr wrote:What the hell was going on with Goku in the first half,his hair style was diferent.
    It was the SS2 hairstyle, from the moment he helped out Vegeta to the moment Vegeta saw through Jiren's attack and the eyecatch began. Strangely he didn't have the SS2 hairstyle, when powering up at the beginning.
    I think we can safely say at this point in time it was just an error for whatever reason by the animators.

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:51 pm

I thought the episode was boring and unmemorable. The animation was good, but there were no memorable setpieces. The only one that could come close was the Final Flash, but that was just an 'homage' to the Cell arc one, so whenever I think Final Flash, I think of the Cell arc, not this. Since there are no memorable setpieces, the action just kinda blends into eachother and it all ends up as very bland. I think the most interesting part was Jiren and Goku's dialogue about the purpose of wanting to become stronger.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Damn good episode. Visually stunning, good character moments and great battles throughout.

I found it hilarious how the exempted Universe's Kaioshin and Hakaishin, as well as the remaining fighter in the tournament and the Kaioshin and Kaioshin from Universe 7 and 11 acted so awkwardly when then made to sit with close proximity of one another.

I'm so happy Vados is making herself at home with Universe 7.

I liked how Anat (Kaioshin of Universe 1), made mention of how the two remaining universe didn't make it this far just because of how strong they were, but also to into consideration other factors needed to do to survive this long. That point would have been a very good one to make... if not for the fact that Universe 7 were stronger than 80% of the other fighters in the tournament and have eliminated every other universe so far using strength and some teamwork.

Freeza underestimating Dyspo and getting clobbered by him was just wonderful. It's nice to see Freeza taken down a peg. He needs a challenge. But what made their ecouncter so much fun was this exchange:

Dyspo - Sorry, but I'm the fastest in all the universe.
    Freeza - So, you're specialty is running away.
    Dyspo - I see you're looking to die again.

Okay, now I'm certain you can only be a Pride Trooper if you're good at throwing shades.

Getting a insight into what Jiren is looking for in this tournament was quite good. He looking for something beyond strength certain give the idea that Jiren is self aware of how ludicrously powerful he is and searching for a meaning, or perhaps a purpose, beyond who has the biggest stick to through. Plus, his mention of how there was no purity in the self righteous way that Vegeta's fight, drives home that Jiren does have some heroic standards to him. Or at least places himself on much higher moral ground. I mentioned in another thread that the anime may be going for the slow burn narrative technique when it comes to Jiren development and characterisation, and it looks like that may be case.

The best thing about this episode was Vegeta's speech before hit Jiren with the Final Flash. I loved everything about it. Vegeta is very much self aware that he is indeed arrogant, but from his perspective, that's precisely what the pride of a Saiyan is. And he's not going to throw away who he is. A prideful Saiyan. Even with all the development he's gone through, who he is at his core will never go away or change. Vegeta even remakes that he'll find his own of defeating Jiren and that he doesn't need Ultra Instinct to do it. Which just further highlights Vegeta's extremely dogged, brazen and resilient attitude and also shows great character growth as he feel he doesn't need to have everything that Goku. It's one of those character drive moments in self awareness that you don't much from characters in Dragon Ball, so it was nice to see it. It also served as good lampshade hanging for why Vegeta has been acting the way he has been in this arc.

Great artwork as a whole in episode, too.