How big of a deal is Goku taking his shirt off?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How big of a deal is Goku taking his shirt off?

Post by Asura » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 pm

This might sound like sort of a funny question, but is Goku appearing shirtless in the initial promo material for this arc a big deal, and how big of a deal is it? Do you think it was effective as a marketing campaign? Is it something that people focus on? Do people get excited to watch Super again by having Goku actually show his muscles?

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Re: How big of a deal is Goku taking his shirt off?

Post by Onibaku » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I guess its a big deal for Chichi

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Goku has never fought with his shirt off in Super. Not even when Black and Zamasu bragged about butchering his family. So i imagine people assumed that Jiren would do something really, really bad to get Goku so mad as to remove (willingly or not) his shirt (and that happens very, very rarely). This traces back to the Freeza arc, if i recall correctly, when Super Saiyan Goku stomped Freeza without his shirt, and that was a very iconic and classic fight. As you can see, several people think that the shirtless version of Goku looks quite good and 'bad-ass'. So this did play a big factor in building the fans' interest and excitement for ep. 109-110. But now i wonder if we'll actually see shirtless Goku in the last 10 or so episodes of the Universal Survival arc that are left.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm

It's not really something to look deep into at all. It's just done to make Goku look, for the lack of a better word, cooler.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 pm

I think losing his shirt is used to show how serious a situation is and with there being 6-7 episodes left I think we may still see it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's not really something to look deep into at all. It's just done to make Goku look, for the lack of a better word, cooler.
Surely it was done intentionally though, not just because it looks cool, but because it generates hype like SupremeKai25 said where the last time we saw Goku like that was against Freeza, which is one of the most iconic fights in the franchise. It symbolizes more than just looking cool, it symbolizes that shit is going to go down in this arc, and things are going to get serious.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Adult Goku lost his shirt in most of his climactic battles up til the Frieza arc. I think a lot of people are hyped because it's the type of battle damage we haven't seen for a while.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Fan service? Though we saw shirtless unconscious Goku earlier briefly in Super, I wonder how brave Toei would be be about giving Goku his nipples back. They held them hostage that week. :lol:

Also seriously yes shirtless Goku is there to show how serious he is about the situation at hand. Maybe Jiren does threaten to wish for a peaceful multi-verse without violent combat.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm

If we see shirtless UI Goku (which is fairly likely), we probably won't see it for at least 5-6 episodes from now.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Aye, we haven't seen Gokuu get that heavily damaged in a while. I remember losing my shit when Gokuu lost his shirt in One Piece Episode #590, to say nothing of then using Super Saiyan 3 without a shirt. Like, holy shit. That really meant something, considering Gokuu didn't take enough damage during any battle after his battle with Freeza to lose his shirt. Hell, even if he drops his blue shirt intentionally rather than it getting destroyed it still means something. It means he needs the full maneuverability of his arms, something he can't get wearing a raggedy shirt. That's when you know shit's gotten real.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 am

Not a big deal. I don't remember him taking it off in most of his fights for the same reasons as Piccolo takes his weighted clothing off. They didn't draw his pepperoni slices on episode 43 while he was sleeping.

Now he needs to take his pants off. Underwear included.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 am

Shirtless Goku is definitely a big deal. It's the equivalent of Ash Ketchum turning his cap backwards. It means Goku is seriously engaged in a challenging threat. Anyone who pushes Goku to being shirtless in battle instantly earns majors respect
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 am

We haven't seen proper shirtless battle damaged Goku since Namek. It's pretty hype just for that even more given how "low" DBS has been on battle damage etc, so it makes this feel extra big deal.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 am

Nobody touches Goku's shirt, NOBODY, when that shirt is blown off and he takes off the remaining of his undershirt, that's when shit hit the fan last time in the franchise, he dominated..hard..
In a way It's the symbol of battle to the extreme for the franchise..

To sum up, yeah, it's a very big deal, way bigger than the tournament, the powerups, the merchandise and existence itself..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 am

Asura wrote:it symbolizes that shit is going to go down in this arc, and things are going to get serious.
If Universes getting erased was treated as a funny/"see you soon" scene, some characters even waved goodbye while smiling and doing poses while being killed... Then there's nothing left that can become serious anymore.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Very big deal but it also comes with a serious drawback.
Goku loses more and more of his nipples the more he takes his shirt of,i don't know if its radiation or a side effect of his many transformations but think about it.

When PiccoloJr the 3 year old amnesiac alien took Goku's shirt of he still had normal nipples.
When Freeza took his shirt of,Goku had only circle nipples.
Now in the promo art we see UI Goku with no nipples.

Is this terrible thing that will happen?Will Goku's nipples cease to exist completely?Is the complete version of UI Nipless Goku?
Will Jirren destroy Goku's nipples like he did with Hit's pride?Will Goku use the Super Dragonballs to wish his nipples back after?

So many unaswered questions.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Whatever wrote:Very big deal but it also comes with a serious drawback.
Goku loses more and more of his nipples the more he takes his shirt of,i don't know if its radiation or a side effect of his many transformations but think about it.

When PiccoloJr the 3 year old amnesiac alien took Goku's shirt of he still had normal nipples.

Is this terrible thing that will happen?Will Goku's nipples cease to exist completely?Is the complete version of UI Nipless Goku?
Will Jirren destroy Goku's nipples like he did with Hit's pride?Will Goku use the Super Dragonballs to wish his nipples back after?

Actually, Goku does still have his circle nipples in the UI Goku promo art, so there may be hope yet :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 am

If Goku doesn’t get nude while fighting Jiren, I’ll drop Super. Remember the good old days when he whipped his dingle out? We need that Goku back.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 am

Asura wrote:
Whatever wrote:Very big deal but it also comes with a serious drawback.

Actually, Goku does still have his circle nipples in the UI Goku promo art, so there may be hope yet :lol:
Oh my Dende you are right,but considering they became less noticable that means they are still disapearing.
Must be the Omen they were hinting at.