"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Noah wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:...and since we've gotten a Japanese track on every game save for a few handhelds since the Greatest Hits version of Budokai 3, I'd be shocked if it was not present on the final game. :)
Are you sure? I though the latest game we had with the japanese tracks was Ultimate Tenkaichi aka Ultimate Blast.
The Japanese voice cast option was present in both of the Xenoverse games as well as Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Noah wrote:Are you sure? I though the latest game we had with the japanese tracks was Ultimate Tenkaichi aka Ultimate Blast.
The Japanese voice cast option was present in both of the Xenoverse games as well as Ultimate Tenkaichi.
No. I'm not talking about the dual-audio option, but the game in the japanese version having tracks like these
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Ok, in my last post I was praising the English dub. I take it all back. Fuck this shit:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That is a dubism, apparently in the Japanese version he just says "I'm so proud of you" like he should. While I'm all for meta jokes in a game like this, it's taking the "Goku is a bad dad" thing way too far to the point of being OOC. I actually hope they change or get rid of that line in the final build.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Ok, in my last post I was praising the English dub. I take it all back. Fuck this shit:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That is a dubism, apparently in the Japanese version he just says "I'm so proud of you" like he should. While I'm all for meta jokes in a game like this, it's taking the "Goku is a bad dad" thing way too far to the point of being OOC. I actually hope they change or get rid of that line in the final build.
Didn't Jaco (in the Japanese version of Super) call Gohan "Son Goku's kind of mediocre' son"? This gave me the impression that both JPN and US versions are treating Gohan as someone who has fallen out of grace, in a manner of speaking.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Does the beta let you make lobbies or in some way let you pick who you want to play?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Ok, in my last post I was praising the English dub. I take it all back. Fuck this shit:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Apparently there's a lot of that: Kuririn says "Hey Yamcha you should try to not die again" after defeating him; Kuririn the guy who was absolutely devastated when Yamcha was killed by the Saibaimen, Goku calling characters idiots in a "not Goku way" and "can't wait to visit your grave" before Kamehameha's.

This is what happens when you let jokes get out-of-hand. I've experienced this first hand with the Portuguese dub. Trying to respect the source material to the best of one's ability should be their job. I'm not a prude, a few(not many) meta jokes are OK.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm

So many quotes, man.
Literally everyone's interacting with each other.

Can't wait for Goku Black.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:20 pm

LightBing wrote:, Goku calling characters idiots in a "not Goku way" and "can't wait to visit your grave" before Kamehameha's.
But didn't Goku call Frieza an idiot or fool in the original japanese dub in Z?

And speaking on this topic, I say just as long as they stick to at least 90-95% of the material, then who cares about the jokes. Besides, some of the lines in the JPN version are too "stockish" anyway, and from what I see, the people at Bandai and Toei don't give a flying fuck.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
LightBing wrote:, Goku calling characters idiots in a "not Goku way" and "can't wait to visit your grave" before Kamehameha's.
Didn't Goku call Frieza an idiot or fool in the original japanese dub in Z?

And speaking on this topic, I say just as long as they stick to at least 90% of the material, then who cares about the jokes. Besides, some of the lines in the JPN version are too "stockish" anyway, and from what I see, Bandai and Toei don't give a flying fuck.
You mean when he "kills" him after the latter attacked right at the end of the fight? There's context there, in FighterZ he say to Freeza "you're hopelessly stupid" at the start of the fight.

Thinking about it now they are certainly mentioning this moment however it's wrong. Goku's not insulting Freeza like it clearly appears in the game, he's making an observation. You can't just copy paste quotes and shove them in there.
In this case it's just awful work not a joke/meme. I wonder how it is in Japanese.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Didn't Jaco (in the Japanese version of Super) call Gohan "Son Goku's kind of mediocre' son"? This gave me the impression that both JPN and US versions are treating Gohan as someone who has fallen out of grace, in a manner of speaking.
Yeah, but that's Jaco. Goku has always been supportive of Gohan.

"Goku bad dad" stuff really gets my goat. I know the Japanese side has been guilty of it as well (that whole bit about him not having been around for Gohan's birth in the Super manga springs to mind) but this was specifically the English dub throwing it in as a joke where there was none before.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Thank God, there's dual audio. Not only the dub has lip sync problems, but also stupid lines like that.
If I wanna hear jokes like that, I just need to watch the portuguese dub.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Is PlayStation Plus required, if you want to participate in the open beta ?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 pm

JimmyRustam wrote:Is PlayStation Plus required, if you want to participate in the open beta ?
No. Just download the beta and you're good to go. :)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:31 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Thank God, there's dual audio. Not only the dub has lip sync problems, but also stupid lines like that.
If I wanna hear jokes like that, I just need to watch the portuguese dub.
I don't even think the portuguese dub goes this far, this is just stupid and bad.

BTW is anyone getting a lot of game crashes on the PS4. The game crashed on me a lot of times especially on the victory screen at least 7-8 times.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 pm

After two betas now I feel right naming my favourite 3 characters.

1. Kid Buu. I was not expecting to like him this much, but the way he moves and his combo strings just fit my 2D fighter playstyle and his animations are really great.
2. Freeza. His versatility really benefits him and I can't wait to practice him more not stuck against human players.
3. 18. I love her level 1 and some of her attacks, I am struggling to figure out her timing combos with 17 but with practice I will.
Gohan Youth is a close 4th and is also contending for a spot on my team, Gotenks based on trailers I am biased to include as well.

And for my most hated character it's Goku. He's the ultimate simple character, which is fine every fighting game needs one, but for simple he's too strong. His long range combined with his real good QC moves makes him a pain in anyone's hands. Usually in 2D fighters the main character is decent at everything but not great at anything. Goku just seems great at everything.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 pm

LightBing wrote:In this case it's just awful work not a joke/meme. I wonder how it is in Japanese.
I wonder that too, I hope we get a compilation in JPN are the subtitles the same as the english dubbisms though?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 am

I'm gonna make a retrospective mini-series on the Dragon Ball fighting games in anticipation for this game and in video form.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:33 am

Android 16 is my favourite character in the game period.
My English is poor .

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:09 am

Is there way to practice with a customized team in the beta? Love Adult Gohan but I suck with him wanna practice with him

Also I preordered in advance. Teen Gohan or none of SSB characters are in the beta???? Someone mentioned Artificial Human 16 but I only have 18
Last edited by TheSonofKakarrot on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:13 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I'm gonna make a retrospective mini-series on the Dragon Ball fighting games in anticipation for this game and in video form.
Projared already beat you to the punch back in 2012.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs