Super Episode 123 (14 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Super Episode 123 (14 January 2018)

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 123, aired 14 January 2018

全身全霊全力解放!悟空とベジータ!!
Zenshin zenrei zenryoku kaihō! Gokū to Bejīta!!
Full Body, Spirit and Power Unleashed! Goku and Vegeta!!

Summary:
In the aftermath of Jiren’s overwhelming defeat of Vegeta, everyone is amazed at Jiren’s power. While Vegeta struggles on the ground, Jiren tells the warrior to rest. In the bleachers, Belmod and Khai note what an honor it is for Jiren to acknowledge Vegeta as a “warrior”; he is praising Vegeta’s bravery in facing him with everything he had. The Omni-Kings are impressed with Jiren too, and amuse themselves imitating him.

Struggling to his feet, Vegeta says he can tell Jiren still hasn’t used his full power. Taking over from where Vegeta left off, Goku powers up to fight Jiren once more. Meanwhile, Dyspo is still throwing Freeza around by the tail, and delivers what he believes to be a finishing blow. He brags about his power as a member of the Pride Troopers, but Freeza is both unimpressed and seemingly unhurt by his attacks, and begins firing back.

Elsewhere, Gohan and 17 continue their tag team fight against Toppo, but 17 soon realizes that they are unable to pull off combo attacks, since they have never fought together before. He suggests a new, simpler strategy: he will go stop Toppo from moving, allowing Gohan to ring them both out. 17 goes and fights Toppo one-on-one for a while, but before long Toppo grabs him by the arm. This though is exactly what 17 wanted; he forms an energy barrier around them both, and Gohan fires a Kamehameha at them. The blast pushes the barrier with the two inside towards the edge of the arena, but before they can be ringed out, Toppo punches 17 so hard that he drops the barrier. Gohan breaks off the attack out of concern for 17, allowing Toppo to get away.

As Goku stands directly in front of Jiren, his teammates in the bleachers question his strategy. They’ve already seen that long-range attacks such as the Genki-Dama and Final Flash don’t work against Jiren, which means he can only be defeated by a direct assault. However, going toe-to-toe with Jiren is risky too. Goku will probably try to create an opening with which to attack, but how? He starts teleporting around Jiren, but always backs off before too long. In fact, Goku has set down a series of landmine-like ki blasts around Jiren, and they go off as soon as Jiren steps on them.

However, Jiren jumps up right as the mines explode, appearing in the air above Goku, who fires off a barrage of Kienzan blades at him. Jiren seemingly destroys all of them though, and begins pummeling Goku atop a large piece of rubble sticking out over the edge of the arena (it fell over when a Kienzan sliced through it). Jiren’s fist begins to glow as he revs up for a finishing blow, but the ground beneath him suddenly gives way. It turns out that Goku has used the one remaining Kienzan to slice up the piece of rubble they’re standing on, the same strategy Kuririn used against him back during their sparring match. He teleports behind Jiren and kicks him down off the edge of the arena.

Goku goes and rejoins Vegeta, who says that while he may have caught Jiren off-guard this won’t be enough to defeat him, but Goku knew that already. Indeed, Jiren uses the small pieces of rubble in the air around him as footholds to jump back up into the arena, and begins walking straight towards Goku, completely unfazed by the ki landmines he continues to set off. After knocking Goku around for a bit more, Jiren powers up, impressing Khai with his intense ki. Even Belmod says it’s been a long time since he’s seen Jiren like this.

Goku and Jiren begin trading blows once again, but Jiren quickly overwhelms Goku with the same sort of glowing punch he had begun to use earlier before being interrupted. The impact from Jiren’s punch blasts through the arena, and although it only grazes Goku’s cheek, he reverts from Super Saiyan Blue to his base form. Khai and Belmod can tell that Jiren has begun showing a bit of his full power. Kuririn asks what sort of technique this is, but Khai explains that for Jiren, these are nothing more than ordinary punches!

Goku says he's never been hit by such strong attacks before, but he can’t turn back now. Vegeta agrees; they know well enough that Jiren is strong, but he must still defeat him and get the Super Dragon Balls! The two power up, with Goku using Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-Ken once more. Beerus sees that Goku is unleashing every scrap of power he has; if even this doesn’t work, then they’ve had it.

Vegeta meanwhile remembers his promise to Cabba, that he would win the tournament and resurrect him and the others of Universe 6. In order to keep that promise, Vegeta resolves to overcome his limits in his own way and defeat Jiren. As he powers up, a change comes over Vegeta’s ki, and he becomes a more sparkly version of Super Saiyan Blue. The Great Priest explains that Vegeta seems to have broken through his shell (much as Goku did earlier) and has collected power within himself greatly surpassing what he previously had as a Super Saiyan Blue.

Vegeta tells Jiren that this is everything he has, and he and Goku begin fighting Jiren two-against-one, finally working together for a change. Jiren can feel that their attacks are sharper than before, but he still counters with more of his trademark glowing punches. The two of them together start to push back against Jiren, who seems thrown off his game. While the action pauses for a moment, Whis explains that Goku and Vegeta’s coordination isn’t perfect, yet this actually helps them out by confusing Jiren. Will the two’s power together be enough to prevail?

7 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 123 (14 January 2018)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 pm

There were some really cool action set pieces throughout this episode. 17 using his shield around Toppo so that Gohan can knock both of them out, Goku creating ki landmines around Jiren, Goku and Jiren fighting on top of a giant debris that's hanging off the stage, that was all some really entertaining stuff.

Vegeta's "I have to keep my promise to him" was so goddamn touching. I love that he's so determined to bring back Cabba and the U6 Saiyans.

That new transformation though. The way I see it is that this is what Super Vegeta was to just regular Super Saiyan Vegeta back in the Android arc, just in Blue form.

One comedic moment that really stuck out to me was when one of the Zeno's copied Jiren's line and pose "Warrior. Sleep." :lol:

Really enjoyed this episode. Even though it's nowhere near as good-looking as last weeks episode, it definitely delivers on the entertainment through some really cool action and that awesome final scene with Goku and Vegeta. I loved that their attacks were so uncoordinated while fighting together that it was actually throwing Jiren off. :lol: Good stuff!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 pm

While it was entertaining to watch it was a mess...

-the drawings were awful
-Vegeta got a new form or w/e power up out of nowhere
-Goku doesn't even think about destroying rocks with a Kamehameha so Jiren couldn't come back
-Power levels are lame, Jiren got no problem dealing with Goku's SSJB he was easily dominating it, but now.. wha happened?
-and lastly, Goku's unlimited energy... :silent:

Terrible.

Next episode looks better though.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Better than the last one that's for sure. It had plenty of good and memorable moments, such as Goku using Destructo Disk, him actually using it strategically made it even better. Almost had Jiren with that strategy but it was too good to be true.

The fast paced close range fight sequences between Goku and Jiren were enjoyable too. During this episode both had good moments against each other.

Of course strategy didn't lack in Gohan and 17 vs Toppo too. They also almost had him too. I wonder what happens to this match up though since Gohan is gonna go assist Frieza in the next episode. Does it mean 17 will handle Toppo alone?

So, Vegeta's new form is a power which surpasses Super Saiyan Blue. Needs a name though. Transcended Super Saiyan Blue? LOL

And oh shit, next episode is titled "Gohan's Last Stand". He gotta at least do some work against Dyspo if he's gonna get eliminated...

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 pm

This is basically the second time since episode 100 that I felt the animation just couldn't keep up with the fighting coreography. With a bit more time poured into this, it could've easily been a top 10 episode. Sadly, this wasn't the case. What we got was more than decent and with some great parts in the second half, but nothing outstanding. It certainly deserved a lot more on that front. Still, it's great that we can get this type of truly great and engaging fight scenes even without any special eye candy poping up.

Cool strategies, some teamwork from Goku and Vegeta, Jiren being a beast. All great stuff. And the ending with Goku and Vegeta powering up and walking forward together screamed memorable. Freeza being an asshole is pleasing and I can't get enough of it. Gohan and 17's scene was cool, though it's a bit weird considering last week they worked just fine together. Will be interesting to see what happens with Toppo, if Gohan is going to get Dyspo and Freeza doesn't switch places. How will 17 keep him in check enough, till the episode where we know Toppo will finally go all out? The NEP shows nothing.

I'm very indifferent torwards Vegeta's new form. It does seem to draw from Toyo's Full Power Super Saiyan Blue, which is great. I like seeing manga concepts pop up in the anime, but if they had to make it more flashy, which is understandable, I would've hoped they'd go with a Beerus styled aura:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That actually looks like keeping the Ki inside, but without looking bland. Oh, well...

So yeah, loved the episode a lot. Kept me glued to the screen the whole time, but it has too many technical shortcomings to elevate it to amazing levels, especially with how good some episodes have been in this arc.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Not bad, not bad. I just wish we saw a little more of Vegeta's new form. By the time it came, it was already close to the end of the episode. Him wanting to keep his promise is a nice touch though. Being the last of the Saiyans again seems to have boosted him. The most we know is that this form is Vegeta's "limit-breaking power". Not surprised at all there was no explanation, so I hope it'll come soon in the coming episodes. If not, then Dokkan Battle will. The episode had more action than last week's episode in my opinion, so it wasn't bad.

Oh, and there are your pupils in Vegeta's new form, for anyone who wanted them. Looks like the "wait for the episode" saying wins again.
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm

so vegeta's new form basically is ssj blue grade 2 smh what a letdown

why isn't goku using UI

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I didnt expect to see hatred for this episode outside the animation and art which was repetitive, stiff and off model. Except for one shot of Goku when he kicked Jiren off which looked great, it was pretty horrible aesthetically. Ironically the worse shot i remember was also goku when he was doing the figure out distance.

Absolutely loved Goku this episode, i thought Jiren wouldn't go down like that but i still had a bit of hope maybe. Goku should have destroyed the rocks as well. The landmines was also a cool, more moves for xv3 haha.

I dont like how they made jiren go full power for a bit but then still kind of struggle against forms he dominated against previously.

Vegetas new form i only sort of buy. Not a huge fan of everyone getting their own unique branch of transformation. Now goku, vegeta and trunks all have one, i would have preferred everyone work towards ultra instinct but if this is the direction so be it. At least i feel we have slightly more precedence for trunks form now. Dont like the pupils though it just looks weird.

Oh and yes of course zenoh imitating jiren is definitely one of the top zenoh moments now.
Last edited by nato25 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:06 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:so vegeta's new form basically is ssj blue grade 2 smh what a letdown

why isn't goku using UI
I dont think he can on his own volition. Both times hes used ultra instinct have been break through the shell moments.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:08 pm

nato25 wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:so vegeta's new form basically is ssj blue grade 2 smh what a letdown

why isn't goku using UI
I dont think he can on his own volition. Both times hes used ultra instinct have been break through the shell moments.
WELL THERE GOINGTO CONTINUE TO get rocked until goku uses UI and vegeta gains access 2 it as well

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 pm

I dont like how they made jiren go full power for a bit but then still kind of struggle against forms he dominated against previously. 
Exactly! It was lame and stupid. They could've done way better.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 pm

The episode itself was really good, but the animation dragged it down.

The landmines Goku used was a nice touch as well as nearly knocking Jiren out of the ring which would have worked on anyone else. Is this the first time in canon a character caught the Kienzan outside the Garlic Jr. arc? Gohan and 17's strategy against Toppo was also sound.

Not sure what to think of Vegeta's power up but it was nice to see them work together.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm

nato25 wrote:Vegetas new form i only sort of buy. Not a huge fan of everyone getting their own unique branch of transformation. Now goku, vegeta and trunks all have one, i would have preferred everyone work towards ultra instinct but if this is the direction so be it. At least i feel we have slightly more precedence for trunks form now. Dont like the pupils though it just looks weird.
Eh, I'm glad they're taking different routes to transformations. One transformation doesn't fit everyone, as Vegeta said. Him being an UI user would be contradictory to his personality. That, and having everyone use one ultimate transformation would be kind of dull and lame. While I think Vegeta's new form still needs explanation (which I doubt they're gonna give it anyway), I like this form way better than him getting UI.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Draconic wrote:This is basically the second time since episode 100 that I felt the animation just couldn't keep up with the fighting coreography. With a bit more time poured into this, it could've easily been a top 10 episode. Sadly, this wasn't the case. What we got was more than decent and with some great parts in the second half, but nothing outstanding. It certainly deserved a lot more on that front. Still, it's great that we can get this type of truly great and engaging fight scenes even without any special eye candy poping up.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. Movement and motion was a bit stiff in some areas.
Draconic wrote:Cool strategies, some teamwork from Goku and Vegeta, Jiren being a beast. All great stuff. And the ending with Goku and Vegeta powering up and walking forward together screamed memorable. Freeza being an asshole is pleasing and I can't get enough of it. Gohan and 17's scene was cool, though it's a bit weird considering last week they worked just fine together. Will be interesting to see what happens with Toppo, if Gohan is going to get Dyspo and Freeza doesn't switch places. How will 17 keep him in check enough, till the episode where we know Toppo will finally go all out? The NEP shows nothing.
Freeza being an asshole was pleasing. :lol:

Until we get a name, I'm calling Vegeta's new form "Super Vegeta Blue" for the time being.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 pm

I love how Vegeta can regained all his stamina in less than 20 seconds in-universe.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Did you think its lame that both have had blue as their ultimate transformation (excluding kaioken obviously) for the past 100 episodes. I kind of liked it. Ill come in with an open mind though id just like to have reasons as to why these forms are shut off to certain characters.

I guess it is cool this is the first time vegeta gets his own form that no one else has.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:There were some really cool action set pieces throughout this episode. 17 using his shield around Toppo so that Gohan can knock both of them out, Goku creating ki landmines around Jiren, Goku and Jiren fighting on top of a giant debris that's hanging off the stage, that was all some really entertaining stuff.
Yeah, Goku's ingenuity in the episode was a treat to see.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: That new transformation though. The way I see it is that this is what Super Vegeta was to just regular Super Saiyan Vegeta back in the Android arc, just in Blue form.

One comedic moment that really stuck out to me was when one of the Zeno's copied Jiren's line and pose "Warrior. Sleep." :lol:
I feel the same way. And yeah, that moment actually was pretty funny. :lol:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Is it me or was Dyspo using Beerus like ki at the end of the preview?
I loved this episode, the action was top notch and strategic

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 pm

A neat episode.

-Jiren pulls out fist moves which honestly I've wanted to see in the series. More ki and fist related moves combined. I imagined some sort of power fist style, and it's cool to see it happen now.
-I love Goku using creative and interesting attacks. It's a shame it really only works in this circumstance, and possibly no where else. Maybe we could get air mines at some point?
-17 and Gohan was alright. Was kinda hoping for a more interesting strategy. Though on second look it does seem Gohan hesitated as 17 lost his barrier.
-Jiren kinda comes off as a meat head honestly in this episode.
-Vegeta powers up via Nakama. Grr he knew Cabba for like....2 days total? Once at the tournament....once maybe at baseball if filler counts....and for a couple more hours here? Really feels super forced this transformation and kinda half assed. Hope to have more information on it so it's not just another Ikari. Heck I'd have rather Vegeta revealed he earned this form before the tournament so some of his boasts didn't feel stupid.
-Freeza basically just forgets everything he told Frost and does exactly what he mocked others for. Dragging things out and not just going all out right away.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Exactly! It was lame and stupid. They could've done way better.
This was basically Super Saiyan Blue for the whole show in a nutshell. Some may attribute this to "SSB Goku/Jiren was holding back" (which I can sort of agree with) or in this case, "Goku's a Saiyan, he got stronger" but it doesn't remove the fact that it's still annoying to watch after so long.