Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Carrie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:29 pm

Contra Deus wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Samuel L. Jackson for the role of Piccolo yet. Not that I'd want him for the part, but I've heard people in the DB fandom before mention Jackson (or Denzel) for the role of a live-action Piccolo.

"I'm tired of these motherfucking saiyans on this motherfucking planet!!"

That was way too easy. In the off-chance that Samuel L. Jackson actually got cast as Piccolo and actually used that line, I want a dollar from everybody.
[quote="Rocketman"]
He (Gohan) is weaker. He has the fighting spirit of a wet noodle soaked in water until it barely resembles a noodle. A pebble is tougher than Gohan, because you could conceivably trip on a rock and stub your toe, while Gohan would yield like so much melted pudding. Vanilla pudding. Because he's too pansy-ass to have a strong flavor if he was pudding. Pure water has more flavor than hypothetical Gohan-pudding.

.... I think I lost where I was going there.[/quote]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Carrie wrote:
Contra Deus wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Samuel L. Jackson for the role of Piccolo yet. Not that I'd want him for the part, but I've heard people in the DB fandom before mention Jackson (or Denzel) for the role of a live-action Piccolo.

"I'm tired of these motherfudging saiyans on this motherfudging planet!!"

That was way too easy. In the off-chance that Samuel L. Jackson actually got cast as Piccolo and actually used that line, I want a dollar from everybody.
Oh thanks. Now I WANT it to happen.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dragon Ball Daisuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Ball Daisuki » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Toniofalcon --->

I apologize for the negative slant my last post had. The hour was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet. I was a bit of an ass.

I apologize for my lack of tact, but the spirit of my post I stand by. This is the Internet, man. You cannot assume that everyone is going to pick up on subtle sarcasm, unless that person is VERY familiar with the ins-and-outs of your everyday personality and speech. Especially not on your first post. Honestly that's no one's fault but your own.

I don't think anyone made the claim that they were "smart" (in a condescending sense), but if longer, thoughtful posts make me an ass, well, pass the Charmin because I think I feel a sneeze coming on. Heaven forbid there be actual discussion in a discussion forum.

That being said, I'd like to extend my friendship. Let me get your opinion on something: Do you think a variation of the original BGM will be used in the film (similar to what Tokyo Brass Style did some time ago), or do you think a composer will create entirely different theme music (a la Transformers)?

PS - I really am a nice guy, once you get to know me. If only I wasn't so damn stubborn.

:-]
For yer health!

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:55 pm

S'kay man, I don't even know what I was thinking when I posted that.

Well, I don't know enough about the movie to have an opinion on that, to be honest. Is the movie going to be true to Dragon Ball or is it going to be more like the McDonalds of movies: made for mass consumption but not really much substance. If the latter then they can pretty much tack on any epic music they want to. Who's the target audience? Are they trying to reach the 9 year olds, the more "hardcore" ( for lack of a better word ) Dragon Ball fans, or everyone?

I'm very pessimistic, so here's how I see this. I see them using their own BGM but somehow fitting Head Cha La in there. Whether it be on a CD player that some one's listening to, on TV, that melody will be in the movie. Now if they do add a variation of original BGM then that'd be fantastic. There's no reason for them to not put it in there. It's "epic" enough at times, and it's really unique. Plus it's all already there. I think the FUNI dub music is out of the question for a movie so that makes me feel somewhat better about it.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:54 am

And now latest reports are that 85% of the movie will be filmed in Durango, Mexico. You gotta love their spelling of Vegeta..."Vegueta". :)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39092

(Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but I didn't see anything).

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:08 am

Dragon Ball Z is about a young boy called Goku. He faces Evil Vegeta, who tries to destroy the hero to prove that Goku is not the legendary warrior many believe he is.
First they say he's fighting Piccolo, now it's about Vegeta? Nothing is adding up! Nothing makes sence anymore!!! :evil:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:12 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Dragon Ball Z is about a young boy called Goku. He faces Evil Vegeta, who tries to destroy the hero to prove that Goku is not the legendary warrior many believe he is.
First they say he's fighting Piccolo, now it's about Vegeta? Nothing is adding up! Nothing makes sence anymore!!! :evil:

I am officially certain all this live-action movie stuff has to be a hoax.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:18 pm

tarsonis wrote:And now latest reports are that 85% of the movie will be filmed in Durango, Mexico. You gotta love their spelling of Vegeta..."Vegueta". :)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39092

(Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but I didn't see anything).
Here's what I got in my News Feed on Gmail a few minutes ago. You can find the full report at http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6499

Dragon Ball Z to Shoot in Durango, Mexico
Source: Informer November 6, 2007

Mexican newspaper El Norte reports that 20th Century Fox will film 85% of the Dragon Ball Z movie in Durango, Mexico under the direction of James Wong.

The production, expected to film in 2008, plans to use the Mexiquillo Forest, Marley Ranch, Hacienda la Providencia, La Joya Ranch, Laguna Seca de Santiaguillo and a forum from a Convention Center in the Culture Institute.

"Durango meets the needs in hotels, personnel, services like transportation, equipment, stunts, restaurants. This movie will provide the city with 750 jobs and an important flow of money," said Susana Elósegui Cross (Turism & Cinematography Director of Durango).

The sets will be constructed this month and shooting will begin in January and last through March. However, the movie cannot filmed completely in Durango, so they will move to Estado De México for some shots at Nevado de Toluca (an important volcano).

Durango was chosen by Ariel Shaw, the special FX director.

Nope. No Dragonballs here. Just some legendary boy and a 29-year-old man duking it out over a prophecy.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 pm

You guys realize that no famous actors will be in this movie, right? I mean, are you guys really expecting an all-star cast? It's gonna be a bunch of canadian newbs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Fine by me as long as they can yell, punch, kick, look good with big hair, and talk about Dragonballs and training all the time.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 pm

What about that crazy DBZ hair? Wonder how they're gonna pull that off

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 pm

balrog wrote:What about that crazy DBZ hair? Wonder how they're gonna pull that off
They'd probably come up with altered hair styles, or something completely different. Goku's hair would be impossible to do because it's complicated and so two-dimensional.

Hopefully this movie doesn't flop. But I believe it will, the director is an action director, not exactly my favorite genre of movies. Action flicks these days usually come out with the usual cheesey "Action Movie" lines, or just plain terrible and unrealistic effects.

And it's obvious to me that this movie is probably going to mostly star low profile Asian actors, and not a full out, high profile cast. If it was going to star a full profile cast, then they'd probably film in Japan, and not a Japan mimck like Montreal. Montreal is one of the most heavily Asian populated cities outside the Asian continent, and it's much closer to home. Montreal and Hawaii are the top 2 for Asian population outside Asia, but filming in Hawaii would both be "out of place" and expensive. And with the low profile actors, the movie's budget probably wouldn't be as huge as say Spiderman or X-men. I'm thinking more on the lines of Fantastic Four: lower profile actors, lower budget, ect.
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:21 pm

AAAAHHHHH!!! Not another post about hair! *goes after Goku and Vegeta with a band saw* we'll settle this right now!

*ahem*. We have contradicting reports now. But the latest one seems to be citingmore information that sounds less likesome random staffing crap someone wrote and more like business things.
The Goku Vs Vegeta summary line though... what? No.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:36 pm

balrog wrote:You guys realize that no famous actors will be in this movie, right? I mean, are you guys really expecting an all-star cast? It's gonna be a bunch of canadian newbs.
If this were really made, I'd actually prefer it that way. There's really no reason to bring in big-name stars if the name of the movie alone is enough to sell it.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:47 pm

tarsonis wrote:
balrog wrote:You guys realize that no famous actors will be in this movie, right? I mean, are you guys really expecting an all-star cast? It's gonna be a bunch of canadian newbs.
If this were really made, I'd actually prefer it that way. There's really no reason to bring in big-name stars if the name of the movie alone is enough to sell it.

I agree, I would really hate to see big-name actors playing Dragonball characters. Actually, I just hope this movie doesn't ever see the light of day cause it's bound to be terrible.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:59 am

Mexican newspaper El Norte reports that 20th Century Fox will film 85% of the Dragon Ball Z movie in Durango, Mexico under the direction of James Wong.

The production, expected to film in 2008, plans to use the Mexiquillo Forest, Marley Ranch, Hacienda la Providencia, La Joya Ranch, Laguna Seca de Santiaguillo and a forum from a Convention Center in the Culture Institute.

"Durango meets the needs in hotels, personnel, services like transportation, equipment, stunts, restaurants. This movie will provide the city with 750 jobs and an important flow of money," said Susana Elósegui Cross (Turism & Cinematography Director of Durango).

The sets will be constructed this month and shooting will begin in January and last through March. However, the movie cannot filmed completely in Durango, so they will move to Estado De México for some shots at Nevado de Toluca (an important volcano).

Durango was chosen by Ariel Shaw, the special FX director.

Source: www.SuperHeroHype.com

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:12 am

It seemed to me like the little blurb at the end was just a summary of what DBZ is about (tacked on after an extensive 5 minute search on the Internet) to explain the series to people reading the article who aren't familiar with it, not necessarily a plot summary of the actual movie being made (which, from what we saw before, is supposed to be Dragonball, not Dragonball Z).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

RockerJeri

Post by RockerJeri » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:04 am

The movie is only getting 3 months of filming in Mexico? Whats sup with that? =[

I hope this movie goes to theaters...

so that the-numbers.com can post the how low the production values were and how the box office is still lower ha ha XD

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:08 am

Why do I feel like this movie is going to end up looking like The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers even with the 2 gazillion dollar budget.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:53 am

NeptuneKai wrote:Why do I feel like this movie is going to end up looking like The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers even with the 2 gazillion dollar budget.
Are we talking about the PR series or movie?