"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

puar
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by puar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:David Gray is likely a pseudonym for James Marsters so the union doesn't catch him. Damon Clarke had to do it for Kai which is partially the reason why Jim Foronda was Cell in The Final Chapters
EXPLAIN ME THIS ALL UNTION THING CUZ I DONT GET IT

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm

puar wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:David Gray is likely a pseudonym for James Marsters so the union doesn't catch him. Damon Clarke had to do it for Kai which is partially the reason why Jim Foronda was Cell in The Final Chapters
Damone Clarke & James Marsters are part of the SAG-AFTRA. When Clarke came back to voice Cell in Kai, he went under an alias as Dantarian Nickelback. Same thing for Masters as David Gray.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:12 pm

puar wrote:
It has to do with pay stuff mostly. Most anime dubs are, decidedly, nonunion because it keeps costs down. Anime dub studios already don't have to pay royalties because of regulations, but a lot of them also don't have the biggest budgets for which to hire their talent, so nonunion voice talent is where they usually go. Sometimes they get union VAs, but not often. That's why Brian Drummond was able to be credited under his name, other than Canadian voice talent being cheaper than American voice talent. He was someone that they only got for 3 episodes. Clarke & Marsters are in the shows for the better part of a story arc, so they'd require a bigger check than Drummond.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm

If the potential hiatus does happen, airing 2 episodes a week on Toonami from the 22nd July (Kai finishes 15th, taking breaks into account) until the 24th March, would bring Funimation up to date.
If it came back in January, then I believe they'd have to continue the 2 a week until the end of May, then they should be all caught up.
It is possible, but they would have to produce an extra 31 episodes over 10 months, and I don't know how feasible that is for them.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm

"Human power has failed before ... as it will ... AGAIN!" Hmmmm Master's Piccolo did have a very "Zamasu" vibe in hindsight. Oh the irony, he finally gets to be in Dragon Ball proper and its as another genocidal green guy who hates ningen lol!

Personally I never had a problem with Masters, he sounded a bit deep first of all but really I think he's perfect for a narcissistic god. His delivery was a bit off but considering that both Beerus and Whis sounded terrible in Battle of Z, once he's given time to actually work on his performance he'll be fine I think.

Schemmel's SSR Black was much better in FighterZ from what I've heard, he's keeping that voice far more consistent. I hope he uses that for Base Black because the "Chain-Smoking SS4" voice he did in XV2, while ok, dose not really fit Black's dialog and manner unless he's going for a "Black is deliberately f##king with people" delivery.

Yeah really looking forward to this.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Schemmel's SSR Black was much better in FighterZ from what I've heard, he's keeping that voice far more consistent. I hope he uses that for Base Black because the "Chain-Smoking SS4" voice he did in XV2, while ok, dose not really fit Black's dialog and manner unless he's going for a "Black is deliberately f##king with people" delivery.
I'll just quote what I said last month when someone else brought up this same topic.
Actually, Rhymestyle said on Twitter that he doesn't do that anymore.

https://twitter.com/Rhymestyle/status/9 ... 9853580288
Caulifla best girl! :)

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Well in either case we will get a glimpse how he sounds on Saturday. Super excited I still remember thinking a year ago how I was going to put up with waiting for the Future Trunks Arc.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:24 am

Lord Frieza wrote:"Human power has failed before ... as it will ... AGAIN!" Hmmmm Master's Piccolo did have a very "Zamasu" vibe in hindsight. Oh the irony, he finally gets to be in Dragon Ball proper and its as another genocidal green guy who hates ningen lol!

Personally I never had a problem with Masters, he sounded a bit deep first of all but really I think he's perfect for a narcissistic god. His delivery was a bit off but considering that both Beerus and Whis sounded terrible in Battle of Z, once he's given time to actually work on his performance he'll be fine I think.
I don't think he sounds terrible in Xenoverse 2, just not as great as he could. Given the poor direction notes, lack of cutscene footage, & his never playing the character before (which shouldn't have been the problem because Sabat's a really good voice director), plus maybe none of them having seen the arc before, it was pretty hit-or-miss on his lines, like some of the veterans had. He can only improve with time & experience, that's, basically, the success stories of Funimation as a company & the earliest cast members of DBZ.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 am

If you want proof of how poor xenoverse 2 voice acting /direction can be use ssj4 goku against nova shenron. Gokus unique line is one if the worst things I've heard in games.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 am

nato25 wrote:If you want proof of how poor xenoverse 2 voice acting /direction can be use ssj4 goku against nova shenron. Gokus unique line is one if the worst things I've heard in games.
I don't know...when it has such memorable for the wrong reasons lines like, "guys" from the first game to contend with.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:24 am

puar wrote:i think preety much everyone agrees that vale is way better then the japanese voice actor of trunks.
Speak for yourself. This is definitely not an opinion that "pretty much everyone" agrees on.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am

TRIZACK wrote:Well in either case we will get a glimpse how he sounds on Saturday. Super excited I still remember thinking a year ago how I was going to put up with waiting for the Future Trunks Arc.
The year went by pretty quick didn't it? I hope FUNi will upload a clip before the episode like they did Zen-Oh and Drummond.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm

I really wish that FUNi would put together English dub trailers for the sagas when they start to give us a good look at the dub casts.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Scsigs wrote:I really wish that FUNi would put together English dub trailers for the sagas when they start to give us a good look at the dub casts.
That's what I think too. It would also help people who don't watch the Japanese version get hyped for when they premiere on Toonami.
Caulifla best girl! :)

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TRIZACK wrote:Well in either case we will get a glimpse how he sounds on Saturday. Super excited I still remember thinking a year ago how I was going to put up with waiting for the Future Trunks Arc.
The year went by pretty quick didn't it? I hope FUNi will upload a clip before the episode like they did Zen-Oh and Drummond.
I don't think they will reveal Black in a clip before the episode since they only showed his shadow version in the preview. It would be awesome if they did but I think they want to keep it a surprise for those who don't know yet. Funny enough my uncle and friend have no idea about Black. I told them to get ready for a big surprise this weekend.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 am

TRIZACK wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I don't think they will reveal Black in a clip before the episode since they only showed his shadow version in the preview. It would be awesome if they did but I think they want to keep it a surprise for those who don't know yet. Funny enough my uncle and friend have no idea about Black. I told them to get ready for a big surprise this weekend.
Speaking of that, does anyone know any good reactors who are watching the english dub? I need to see someone react who had no idea about Black
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

TRIZACK wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I'm not saying to totally reveal them right away, but maybe an off-screen voice over other footage of either Black or Zamasu would be cool. Y'know, maybe something that doesn't appear in the show, but is a good trailer nonetheless. Either that, or after they're fully revealed, a character trailer or behind-the-scenes quick interviews with Schemmel & Marsters on their respective roles.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Asura wrote:
puar wrote:i think preety much everyone agrees that vale is way better then the japanese voice actor of trunks.
Speak for yourself. This is definitely not an opinion that "pretty much everyone" agrees on.
YOUR PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WHO LOVE THAT CRY BABY JAPANESE VOICE ACTOR OF TRUNKS. HES TERRIBLE.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:44 pm

puar wrote:
Asura wrote:
YOUR PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WHO LOVE THAT CRY BABY JAPANESE VOICE ACTOR OF TRUNKS. HES TERRIBLE.
Are you 13 years old or something? Raving and ranting in caps because people like a different dub than you do, that’s just sad.

I can also very much guarantee you that I’m not the only one who likes Takeshi Kusao‘s Trunks, especially on this website where most people prefer the JP dub anyway. For the record though, I like both dubs equally and both VAs for Trunks equally (although I hope Vale gets his voice to be not as rough as it was in XV2.)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:55 pm

FUNi got time to catch up on the dub then! I guess more people will probably be more interested in the dub now too.