"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by The S » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
    The S wrote:
    NintendoBlaze53 wrote:It's not full price in Japan. The RRP is 5800 yen which is well reduced compared to other fighters like Tekken 7 or even FighterZ.
    $52 is "reduced"? That's not very much lower than a standard game. What do games cost normally at retail?
    Going off Amazon JP. FighterZ is 8208 yen and most PS4 games range between 6000 and 9000 yen. Cross Tag Battle in Japan is around the same price as a 3DS game, I believe for USA that's $40, so expect around that price for the base game. As an Australian, console games usually RRP for AU$100 over here and FighterZ with it's 32 characters post DLC is AU$145. So even if Cross Tag Battle is the directly converted price of AU$63, as long as DLC isn't AU$77, it'll be more characters for cheaper then this game and in fact cheaper then most other current fighting games here (Injustice, Tekken, MvCI).
    Bloody hell! I never buy Japanese games at launch so this is all very surprising. I assumed everyone in the world's games are around the same price within reason... US games for like PS4 and Switch are $50-60 at launch for larger titles, so I was like "$52 isn't a discounted price at all...."
    Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

oldboy88
    Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by oldboy88 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 am

Dragon Ball FighterZ Opening Event Shinjuku 27/28.01 announced
    https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1102127.html

Cold Skin
    I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 am

For those who couldn't play the beta (for some reason) or just didn't check it out before it was too late, here are the six color palettes that were available for the characters. It's important to make a character look just like what you prefer!

[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]

Note that there is a specific logic in the numbers:
    01 - The default color.
    02 - The main alternative color, which will often reference another costume or character (for example, Goku --> Kid Goku, Beerus --> Whis, Krilin --> Krilin in Battle of Gods and Majin Boo --> Beerus).
    03 / 04 / 05 / 06 - Red, Blue, Green and Yellow in that order, although they might also reference another costume / character while they're at it (example: the blue Nappa is reminiscent of Toma and the yellow Nappa is reminiscent of Vegeta).

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

Nice touch that Vegeta has his Arlia armor.

Kuwabara
    Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Recently heard on Spawn Wave that someone received the retail game early and got a Piccolo costume from the driver's license episode in a loot box? As I understand it, creating alternate costumes beyond mere palette swaps in FighterZ would be pretty tedious considering how the game renders individual frames of animation, so I'm surprised they would even bother with them so early on. I can't find pictures of this anywhere sadly, but someone else mentioned the state of FighterZ loot boxes:

Here's the video that reported this, it's at 7:32:

https://youtu.be/7PeU8AjGsMc
    This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Zero-ELEC

Post by Zero-ELEC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Recently heard on Spawn Wave that someone received the retail game early and got a Piccolo costume from the driver's license episode in a loot box? As I understand it, creating alternate costumes beyond mere palette swaps in FighterZ would be pretty tedious considering how the game renders individual frames of animation, so I'm surprised they would even bother with them so early on. I can't find pictures of this anywhere sadly, but someone else mentioned the state of FighterZ loot boxes:

Here's the video that reported this, it's at 7:32:

https://youtu.be/7PeU8AjGsMc
    It's not a costume, it's a lobby avatar.

Cold Skin
    I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Now that's good news! It may be impossible for them to come up with new costumes during battles, but given the simple nature of the avatar models, they can really go crazy with creating all kinds of costumes! And if they created the driver's license version of Piccolo, you can expect a lot of extra costumes!
    It seems logical, since those little avatars must be extremely easy and quick to create, with a very simplistic "usual 3D" animation that doesn't complicate things at all!

I do hope there are also extra color palettes to unlock for the fighters beyond the six original ones, but I guess that's uncertain right now...
    That would be quite compelling to be able to unlock potentially even more stylish palettes!

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Now that's good news! It may be impossible for them to come up with new costumes during battles, but given the simple nature of the avatar models, they can really go crazy with creating all kinds of costumes! And if they created the driver's license version of Piccolo, you can expect a lot of extra costumes!
    It seems logical, since those little avatars must be extremely easy and quick to create, with a very simplistic "usual 3D" animation that doesn't complicate things at all!

I do hope there are also extra color palettes to unlock for the fighters beyond the six original ones, but I guess that's uncertain right now...
    That would be quite compelling to be able to unlock potentially even more stylish palettes!
    There's more colours, I remember an interview where it was said we'd have more than 10. I believe it was one of gameinformer interviews not sure.

omegalucas
    Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:17 pm

About the alternate colors, the scan advertising the Strategy Guide for Fighterz shows a small image from a page of said guide that features images of 12 colors for Goku.
    We can assume there will be at least 12 per character, perhaps more. For example, the manga palette from the colsed beta isn't among them.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Cold Skin
    I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm

^ Wow, thanks for the very good news! :)
    Man, this game just doesn't miss an opportunity so far! I keep saying "I hope there is..." and keep learning that "there is" indeed. 8)

omegalucas
    Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Man, this game just doesn't miss an opportunity so far! I keep saying "I hope there is..." and keep learning that "there is" indeed. 8)
    My turn: I hope there are manga colors for everyone.
    DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

YonedgeHP
    Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

I made a similar question a month ago, but does anyone knows if the season pass for this game is going to be available for purchase in its release date?
    Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
    Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

FortuneSSJ
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Man, this game just doesn't miss an opportunity so far! I keep saying "I hope there is..." and keep learning that "there is" indeed. 8)
    I hope there is more characters in the base roster. :P
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Welp, I officially hate the internet. One little scroll through Twitter and Android 21's new form is spoiled for me. Great. That would've been such a crazy surprise if I didn't see that.
    Don't be such a baby, you know Japan don't give a F about spoiling stuff, also I don't see how knowing this "big surprise" will ruin your gaming experience.
    乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

NintendoBlaze53
    Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 pm

omegalucas wrote:About the alternate colors, the scan advertising the Strategy Guide for Fighterz shows a small image from a page of said guide that features images of 12 colors for Goku.
    We can assume there will be at least 12 per character, perhaps more. For example, the manga palette from the colsed beta isn't among them.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Great news! I was worried they removed the manga colours but I'm happy they will most likely be in the final game.

In regard to the "loot box" rumour. FighterZ uses a similar reward to I believe what Blazblue and Guilty Gear has. Fights reward the player with Zenni, players can then spend that Zenni on randomized packs which will reward the player with 10 items. For FighterZ these items seem to be colour palletes, lobby avatars, music and commentator packs. However if a player receives a duplicate drop, say I get the lobby avatar for Driving Test Piccolo again, it gets converted into a premium coin. Once a player collects 10 premium coins they can exchange them to do another summon which guarantees the player will receive a new item.

Now right next to this reward system is a link to the PSN/Xbox store, so people wrongfully assumed that the premium coins could be purchased for real life money. Turns out as Bandai Namco confirmed that is not the case and the link is only for DLC like characters and commentator packs. Chances are this will be like Persona 4 Arena where colours, lobby avatars and commentators can be unlocked in game through regular gameplay or bought as an early unlock through real life cash.
    "You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Super Saiyan Swagger
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Noah wrote:
    Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Welp, I officially hate the internet. One little scroll through Twitter and Android 21's new form is spoiled for me. Great. That would've been such a crazy surprise if I didn't see that.
    Don't be such a baby, you know Japan don't give a F about spoiling stuff, also I don't see how knowing this "big surprise" will ruin your gaming experience.
    I never said it would my gaming experience, I just said that the surprise is gone now. I'm just irritated because I do such a great job at avoiding spoilers for Super but this Android 21 transformation completely caught me off guard.

Bullza
    Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 pm

So it doesn't look like there's anymore characters to be announced who aren't DLC?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 am

Now that we know the full base lineup, it occurred to me that this might be one of the "safest" Dragon Ball rosters ever. It's basically every iconic no-shit-Sherlock character from the original run, a few modern/Super reps to represent the New Canon, and one weird OC. No movies. No GT. No obscure choices. Not even any original Dragon Ball characters, which is actually a letdown.

I mean, think about this; before Majin 21 was announced, the most controversial, "out-there" character in the roster was Nappa. As in, that felt like the only one where people were going "Really? Why him?" That's the standard that's been set, where Nappa is the weird pick. And incidentally, as someone who has experienced the joy of a Saibaman self-destruct crossup finisher, I spit on his detractors.

It has me curious about the DLC. Is that where they're saving all the out-there picks and the DB/GT/movie representation, or will it just be a succession of whatever "obvious" characters haven't been included yet? I mean, I'm still convinced that Bardock will be a DLC character, and I figured he and Broly would go hand-in-hand for the first DLC pack. But now I'm wondering if they'll actually commit to the "canon/Super only" rule and go with Kale instead of Broly. It sounds crazy at first, but starts to sound more likely the more I think about it.

ShadowBardock89
    Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:58 am

Kataphrut wrote: But now I'm wondering if they'll actually commit to the "canon/Super only" rule and go with Kale instead of Broly. It sounds crazy at first, but starts to sound more likely the more I think about it.
    When was it said they were ONLY looking at manga and Super characters?
    Where is your source?
    I've watched interviews with Tomoko Hiroki and she never dismissed GT.
    http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/10/kayane- ... form-play/
    http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
    http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
    https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:31 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
    Kataphrut wrote: But now I'm wondering if they'll actually commit to the "canon/Super only" rule and go with Kale instead of Broly. It sounds crazy at first, but starts to sound more likely the more I think about it.
    When was it said they were ONLY looking at manga and Super characters?
    Where is your source?
    I've watched interviews with Tomoko Hiroki and she never dismissed GT.
    http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/10/kayane- ... form-play/
    My "source" is the current roster.

Of course the producer wouldn't rule anything out in an interview. As I said, the DLC could easily be where movie and GT stuff comes in. I just think it's interesting that none of it is in the default roster. Not even Broly, who is usually a given. It says something about the angle they're going for with the game: modern (meaning post-Battle of Gods) look and setting, combined with an emphasis on being faithful to the original manga first and foremost. That's why you get things like Goku's facial expression in the dramatic finish for beating Freeza on Namek resembling the sorrowful look of the manga more than the straight-up anger of the anime.

It's not an explicit rule, but it is noticeable. The only real glaring exception is Gohan's Family Kamehameha and some minor nods to anime-only material in movesets and costumes. Like Vegeta's alternate skin based on the Arlian colours for example.