Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 am

perucho1990 wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'd love to see a series that has the middle ground of focusing on the new generation of fighters (Oob, Pan, Bra, Goten and Trunks), while also keeping Goku and Vegeta in the spotlight.
Honestly this is the best way to do it. Completely removing Goku and some of the others out of the spotlight would annoy some people (Though its no big deal because people constantly cry and whine in this fan base anyway).
It's best to focus on the potential new gen characters (Uub, Pan, Bra, Goten, Trunks, Marron, possibly 17 three kids, Cabba, Kale, Caulifla, and others) while keeping Goku and co in the spotlight as well. Maybe incorporate teamwork more consistently in the series.
Pretty much what Boruto is doing, focusing on the new generation(Sarada,Boruto, Mitsuki) while keeping Sasuke and Naruto in the spotlight.
I don't read naruto or boruto but I still know the backlash it gets.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 am

I wouldn't mind a proper next generation series, if most of the main older group stepped back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 am

EOZ or bust. Nothing else matters

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:30 am

Venus wrote:I would actually like a GT remake...

Yep, I don't really love GT, in fact, I pretty much hate a lot of things about it, but I would love a remake of Dragon Ball GT, with all the new stuff we got thanks to Super, there is so much potential to make a much better GT than what we got two decades ago, for example:

"Goku never turns into a kid, the pilaf gang are adults now again from aging, the Black Star Dragon Balls, doesn't exist, yet the Grand Tour still happens, but to search for the Super Dragon Balls, which are now scattered across all 12 (or 18 universes), Baby still happens, but with a different backstory, and from U2, being at least SSJG tier, he would not take over Vegetas body either, SSJ4 would not happen Super 17 arc would be changed in a way so that only the villains re appear, except Frieza, who got revived by Goku, Super 17 won't happen either, instead a whole new android created by Dr Gero and Muu, the Shadow Dragons would still happen, but much stronger of course, Goku would not dissapear with Shenlong at the end, because it wouldn't really be the end yet."
You sure you want a GT remake? Does not sound like it.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 am

kemuri07 wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:Either Super 2 or new db series, just to use all the characters and concepts that have been introduced via tournaments and tell different stories involving them. I mean, not doing that would be modern dragon ball's biggest sin.

EDIT:

Seriously, i can understand the sentiment behind wanting the show to be ended, but that could only work in case there was no more potential or any way to write new interesting
db stories.

With all these universe being introduced, new characters and even relationships between them (Vegeta being Cabba's mentor, Goku and Hit.....etc) suddenly throwing everything away and not using it would be downright awful. It would pretty much shit on the whole db revival thing that BoG introduced with the concept of other universes.
Theoretically, sure there's a lot of neato ideas surrounding DBS. The problem is that the writing has consistently dropped the ball in that regard, instead just focusing on blatant fan service or just giving whatever character a power up because "Fuck it."

Z at least had some level of restraint, and the first half of that series is the strongest because there's a focus in developing its central characters (i.e. Remember when Kuririn wasn't completely useless?)., Super is a one-trick poney.
That's entirely debatable, which just serves to add more fuel to my point, not using any of these ideas to write new stories would be much worse than writing a new story that not everyone may like. Because, the thing is, no matter what super does, there'll always be someone not liking it, so it's not worth it to simply not use all these concepts.

A lot of people liked Black once he was introduced, but i still find some fans that hate him; Goku vs Krillin was one of the best episodes of the pre tournament arc for a lot of people (because the interactions between characters were pretty nice and Krillin demonstrated that he had recovered his gains), while others hated it because it didn't make sense power level wise (thought this also debatable). Hell, Battle of Gods (movie) is consdered by many Dragon ball's Renaissance, while others considered it (and quote) "db's version of the Phantom menace of Star Wars".

Had Toei/Toriyama listened to all these people wanting db dead and we wouldn't have gotten a lot of amazing moments that modern db introduced. Now if the series had literaly tried every single interesting concept or idea that's out there, and after that only started to do the typical "oh, new bad guy that's stronger than the guy who was multiversal level, Goku fights him, Goku wins" then yeah, i could totally get behind this feeling, and i would agree with all those complaints about db becoming a zombie franchise. But that's not the current case, BoG pretty much introduced a power ceiling and the majority of times, super's antagonist are still not stronger than the very strongest in the multiverse, so there's still room to tell more stories about Goku and co improving themselves or even exploring different universes (or just meeting new characters from those different places).

The_Destroyer wrote:Katopesla: The Galactic Policeman of Justice
If this ever happens, i want a crossover with the Super troopers Pals, Jaco the Patrolman, and GT Saiyaman as a guest star.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:39 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote: Honestly this is the best way to do it. Completely removing Goku and some of the others out of the spotlight would annoy some people (Though its no big deal because people constantly cry and whine in this fan base anyway).
It's best to focus on the potential new gen characters (Uub, Pan, Bra, Goten, Trunks, Marron, possibly 17 three kids, Cabba, Kale, Caulifla, and others) while keeping Goku and co in the spotlight as well. Maybe incorporate teamwork more consistently in the series.
Pretty much what Boruto is doing, focusing on the new generation(Sarada,Boruto, Mitsuki) while keeping Sasuke and Naruto in the spotlight.
So you just confirmed you don't know about the series. Super gets plenty of backlash and was successful, backlash from a loud minority doesn't mean its not a success, and considering you just admitted to being ignorant of the series as a whole, you should quit while you're ahead.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
So you just confirmed you don't know about the series. Super gets plenty of backlash and was successful, backlash from a loud minority doesn't mean its not a success, and considering you just admitted to being ignorant of the series as a whole, you should quit while you're ahead.
Yes,I don't know the series as you can see from my comment.But,I have taken a few peeks at forums just to see reception of third best selling series,from that and seeing as how boruto manga was at 30 place in sales with a proper anime while super manga was at 19 without a proper while original series ended decades ago and naruto ended a few years ago.Yes,it is not a success compared to super which is the subject.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Please... just a post EoZ series already. Other than GT (which wasn't directly written by Toriyama himself), we've been stuck in this eternal limbo between all the events before Goku leaves with Uub, and we have never found out what happens next. Post EoZ by Toriyama is all I want.

Jexulus

Post by Jexulus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:28 pm

As much as I don't like some of Dragon Ball Super's attributes (adapting two flawed movies into the foundation of an entire episodic series, absurd pacing issues, major splintering between the anime and manga, etc.), I really enjoyed others, that being the Universe 6 tournament, the first half of the Goku Black arc before his continuity-shattering origins were revealed, and basically all the slice of life stuff. Beneath the production issues and nonsensical writing, there are true gems to be found in the series.

That being said, I'm glad the series is seeing a hiatus, and I hope it's indicative of Toei realizing that they need to vastly overhaul their production infrastructure and timetable to give any future projects much needed consistency.

At this point, I think if the series sees another anime/manga series, I'd like to see the following happen:
1. The manga and anime need to be jointly produced to stay in sync with each other. The fact that the series of events in Super is splintered between the movie, the anime, and the manga means there is no definite foundation from which to draw from, and it very clearly hurt the series' longevity.
2. It needs to take place after the End of Z. Battle of Gods, and by extension the rest of the series, were hamstrung in story possibilities because it had to adhere to the pretense that the events would eventually lead into the End of Z.
3. Villains need to be created in ways that make them threats to our heroes different than being far more powerful than them. Something like General Rildo in GT, where any physical contact with him or the planet turns that person/object into metal. Dragon Ball Z, at least in my opinion, made the villains threats in credible ways and justified their incredible powers despite the power of the protagonist's and their history of growth. Super failed to do that in basically every regard; Beerus and Whis channeling "godly ki", Frieza "training for 4 months", Hit's Time-Skip being introduced because the Galactic King "heard a rumor" for the sake of exposition, Goku Black/Zamasu's mess of a history, and the entire Tournament of Power roster.

And then, my own personal take on the direction of the new series: Something far closer to GT in terms of being a galactic adventure, except with an additional story arc on Earth that converges at the end of a major arc, much like how the Baby Arc brought everyone back together. Goku and Vegeta could still be rivals, but now instead of purely strength, they take on students and compete to make their disciples stronger than their rivals'. Goku training Pan and maybe someone else while they're in space, and Vegeta training on Earth with Trunks and... Uub. Yep, make Uub the bridge between Goku and Vegeta, and have him be the manifestation of Goku's and Vegeta's unique relationship/rivalry.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:46 pm

I don't want another series, I want Super to return and pick up from wherever the new movie ends.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I don't want another series, I want Super to return and pick up from wherever the new movie ends.
Same here. I wouldn't mind DBS ending if I felt like there was decent closure, but all this build up of the gods, other universes and ultra instinct... etc. to just end it suddenly is not the kind of ending this series deserves. I want to see more of U11 and Jiren, U6 and those Saiyans and to get at least some exploration of the 4 universes not in the tournament. I also want to see the culmination of Ultra Instinct since they made it pretty clear what Goku was doing with it is just a hint of it's full potential. Ending it now makes no sense to me.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm

DasMuse wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:I don't want another series, I want Super to return and pick up from wherever the new movie ends.
Same here. I wouldn't mind DBS ending if I felt like there was decent closure, but all this build up of the gods, other universes and ultra instinct... etc. to just end it suddenly is not the kind of ending this series deserves. I want to see more of U11 and Jiren, U6 and those Saiyans and to get at least some exploration of the 4 universes not in the tournament. I also want to see the culmination of Ultra Instinct since they made it pretty clear what Goku was doing with it is just a hint of it's full potential. Ending it now makes no sense to me.
Thirding this. I don't know if the movie is standalone or not, but if it's the actual next arc then I'd be ok continuing after that. I'm disappointed they're leaving so many potential story plots off the table.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 pm

I could see them picking up after Goku leaves with Uub. Maybe they could do a small retcon and rather than going to Uubs village he goes off with Beerus and Whis.

Have it be "Dragonball Ultra" and we see Goku, Vegeta, and the new generation (Teen Trunks, Teen Goten, Pan, and Uub) in a new adventure through the multiverse

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: I don't read naruto or boruto but I still know the backlash it gets.
Yes,I don't know the series as you can see from my comment.But,I have taken a few peeks at forums just to see reception of third best selling series,from that and seeing as how boruto manga was at 30 place in sales with a proper anime while super manga was at 19 without a proper while original series ended decades ago and naruto ended a few years ago.Yes,it is not a success compared to super which is the subject.
Sure when compared to DB, yet DB is the more popular franchise anyway.
Boruto still is fairly successful and the Boruro movie is the Naruto franchise's highest grossing film.

Besides while I feel if they make a new series it should definitely be after the endofz and focus on the new gen characters a bit, Goku would obviously still remain the main character overall. If we get another weekly series, it just should have villains with henchmen and focus on teamwork for the support characters imo. I know this isn't exactly the same scenario, but the DBH manga did fairly well with the newly designed avatar like characters sort of being the newer characters getting focus. It be sorta like that, but with the original cast still around, and Goku/Vegeta still fighting the main villain/antagonist while the rest face off the underlings or give support to Goku.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 am

I want Super to keep going but I also want to see some End of Z stuff.

I want to see if Ultra Instinct can be mastered. I want an explanation for SSJB Grade 2. I want Vegeta to visit the Saiyan Planet of U6. I want Cabba, Kale and Caulifla development. I need more of Hit and Jiren. I want exploration of Universe 1, 12, 5 & 8.

I also want young adult Goten and Trunks. I want to see Uub brought in. I want to see a Pan and Bra grow up. And I want them or a cast of new characters to carry on in their own new adventures.

So there's a lot of good directions to go. I just hope DB is back someday
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:18 am

Asura wrote:Both of those ideas sound like financial disasters. Who wants to see Dragon Ball with NONE of the characters we know? Without Goku, there is no Dragon Ball. I also doubt that people want to see the show rebooted over and over with different stories.
You're telling me you wouldn't watch a series about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84nBxAwQOs

When I think of a new series I think of that cutscene above, something new that feels fresh and classic at the same time. And new characters gives the writers much more freedom to do what they want. The main character could even be Goku-lite like the protagonist in that cutscene appears to be.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 am

BWri wrote:
Asura wrote:Both of those ideas sound like financial disasters. Who wants to see Dragon Ball with NONE of the characters we know? Without Goku, there is no Dragon Ball. I also doubt that people want to see the show rebooted over and over with different stories.
You're telling me you wouldn't watch a series about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84nBxAwQOs

When I think of a new series I think of that cutscene above, something new that feels fresh and classic at the same time. And new characters gives the writers much more freedom to do what they want. The main character could even be Goku-lite like the protagonist in that cutscene appears to be.
Lord no. I like a lot of the story elements from DBO that are re-used in Xenoverse with Towa, Mira, Bardock, etc. but I absolutely hate the game's timeline, it just seems horribly stupid to me that you have all these hybrid Saiyans running around and the world felt really lifeless to me since everyone except like, Piccolo and Korin are dead.

The Dragon Ball world isn't interesting enough for me without any familiar faces. I'd definitely watch a movie or spin off series with only U6 in it since they're actually familiar characters, but some random brand new cast that has no relation at all to Goku and co.? No thank you.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 am

Super doesn't feel "over" to me at this point. Even if ToP can be taken as the big climax (and that's not a given) there should still be some sort of resolution afterward to wrap things up. I feel like there's too much set up/hanging to properly wrap up in a handful of episodes, especially with the tournament not even finished yet. For that reason, I'm still hoping and expecting that Super will be back after Koriko has wrapped and the movie's had a full release.

I do want to see some post-EoZ when the time is right, though. A different followup that includes Super-era characters like Beerus, Whis, etc. as well would be a lot of fun.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am

Asura wrote:
BWri wrote:

Lord no. I like a lot of the story elements from DBO that are re-used in Xenoverse with Towa, Mira, Bardock, etc. but I absolutely hate the game's timeline, it just seems horribly stupid to me that you have all these hybrid Saiyans running around and the world felt really lifeless to me since everyone except like, Piccolo and Korin are dead.

The Dragon Ball world isn't interesting enough for me without any familiar faces. I'd definitely watch a movie or spin off series with only U6 in it since they're actually familiar characters, but some random brand new cast that has no relation at all to Goku and co.? No thank you.
I find that really sad. The Dragon Ball world is RICH with fantasy and sci-fi elements all over the place, talking, magical animals, witches, shamans, dinosaurs, robots, demons, all with a modern, technologically advanced society. The place has it all. Now, I don't want a new Goku-lite protagonist, but to call the DB World uninteresting, sheesh, that really makes me sad. There are ENDLESS new characters that could be introduced to the world with new powers, new origins, new martial arts styles, you name it. How about a Capsule Corp. Iron Man/Woman? How about a magic sword hero (not Z-Sword Gohan)? I kind of like the idea of giving Piccolo his King title back, but literally, he becomes King of Earth in place of King Furry and maybe trains up his own small unit of Earth Defense Forces? I don't know about a "Next Generation" series exactly, but you could literally do almost anything in the DB world as long as there's martial arts involved, and it wouldn't seem out of place.

Although... maybe having toriyama do a Dragon Quest anime would be better for that sort of blank slate style expression (possibly better funded even).
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:39 am

I would dig a series about next generation a lot. A sequel dedicated to Goten and Trunks as main characters would be cool