Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bio Broly

Re: Super Episode 124 (21 January 2018)

Post by Bio Broly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 am

wow 17 haters Gohan fanboys, this episode was ok, i dont see the problem with Android 17 lasting until the end of the tournament Gohan had far more screen time since Cell was defeated while 17 dissapeared.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:39 am

I honestly expected more from Gohan in this whole tournament, but I now feel glad they didn't rush through his character arc.
Let Gohan gradually come back to top, if Dragon Ball continues in the future. I don't know if I would have liked to see Gohan getting his trademark rage-boost again and so soon. He has actually had a good showing overall in this tournament, I would say he's really been important for U7 and I'm loving this new no-nonsense Gohan, he is slowly becoming how he was in the future, and I love Future Gohan.
This episode could have been a lot better though, starting from writing to art and animation. At least Dyspo was presented as a real threat and it also retroactively makes Hit look better considering he was pummeling Dyspo so much he had to escape.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Melab

Post by Melab » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 am

KingKaash wrote:This certainly was not an epic episode even though some major eliminations occurred. But I honestly think this is the best way for Gohan to go out which is with Dyspo. Gohan eliminating Dyspo on his own would've felt like a force by the writers to give Gohan a big win. And Gohan getting eliminated by Dyspo would seem like the writers playing a numbers game to reduce U7's members and Gohan would be the scapegoat. As a Gohan fan I'm content because Gohan wasn't too high or low.

Most of Gohan's ToP action came in the form of teamwork and I'm ok with that. Gohan wasn't strong enough on his own to handle things and I think that makes sense considering he just started training before the ToP started. The Frieza laser cage was pretty cool. As for Dyspo, I think the fitting end for him would've been for Hit to eliminate him. Hit had done everything to figure him out (even though Dsypo hadn't used Light Speed but I'm sure Hit would figure that out) so I feel like Hit deserves that elimination.

Since the show is ending soon, this is the last time I'll see Gohan fight :(

Next episode looks good with Toppo going all out.
It's supposed to be a hiatus.

Android350

Post by Android350 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 am

Completely agree... It already is 1 big saiyan/goku show.... good to keep in at least one of the androids until the end.
They've been left in the dark for ages already.
Last edited by Android350 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 am

Alright. Goku and Vegeta are literally giving it everything they have and Jiren just powers up more. Still not even scratched. Hell, his uniform isn't even torn after all the blasts he's been taking to the face and walking through. Even Beerus has official acknowledged there's no way U7 will win unless Jiren is beat. Which while obvious from the beginning is still a very real problem.

He's probably at I'd assume somewhere between 40-60% of his full power. If he's taking them now and still has 0 damage there's no chance when he goes 100%. And before you say UI. It's fairly clear Goku can't beat him alone and I doubt he'll suddenly gain mastery in the last few minutes. Fusion is coming guys. I'm calling it. Too many signs. I'm seeing them bit by bit. They're small signs but they are present. I could be wrong. But atm I'm pretty confident in my hunches. I'll give it 3 more episodes for it to become clear whether or not the tactic is used.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 am

Honestly, this episode rang a tad bit hollow for me. It sucked seeing Gohan get ringed out, but I figured his time would be up. Glad to see Dyspo get ringed out finally. I'm just once again left with "where is this all going?" But regardless the episode was okay.

Next week looks crazy. Toppo looks like he's going to be an absolute monster. And I'm gonna predict it now, Android 17 is gonna sacrifice himself either in this next episode or 126 to knock out Toppo, leaving Frieza, Goku, Vegeta, and Jiren.

This week however, was okay. Maybe another rewatch but some things just did not sit well

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 am

Amazing episode, very entertaining

I like Freeza got a big fight, and I also liked him bargaining.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:02 am

Honest question for Gohan fans: ideally how would you have rather this whole thing gone down for him? Was a new transformation what you were looking for? Or just a more badass moment?

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 am

Gohan did a good job, idk why people are complaining about it... you guys realy thought Gohan would get a new form and beat Toppo? when he is much weaker or at least = to Dyspo? lol
Last edited by BrolyKale on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 am

I would have rathered he lost to Toppo.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 am

Great episode.

Surprised at the other of eliminations, and expected something more final between Gohan and Toppo to be honest, but pleased with Gohan's performance and how he went out in the end. Over the moon that #17 is still in. This is great.

Frieza calling Gohan "leader" <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 am

ernesth100 wrote:Alright. Goku and Vegeta are literally giving it everything they have and Jiren just powers up more.
Ther's a rumor or "leak' about Vegetto taking care of him which seems likely cause these 2 have 0 chance at doing it on their own.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 am

sintzu wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:Alright. Goku and Vegeta are literally giving it everything they have and Jiren just powers up more.
Ther's a rumor or "leak' about Vegetto taking care of him which seems likely cause these 2 have 0 chance at doing it on their own.
Dude, UI shirtless is yet to happen and it's gonna take Jiren on just fine..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 am

Vegeta's new form is being pushed aside for other fights, talk about underwhelming.

I admit it does look visually cool, but it's relevance is non existent. Goku was doing the same thing by himself an episode ago.

And yeah, Vegeta using yet another Final Flash at Jiren... this time charged in a second and thinking it'd work :roll:

I disliked that part the most.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 am

In my opinion this episode has two big problems.

*Maxiumum Light Speed Mode
*(24-Hour Revival) Freeza hasn't limitless Ki.
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:55 am

I expected an explanation as to why Dyspo looks so much like Beerus in this episode but I got nothing. Okay then.

I also expected Gohan to mention his family for the first time ever in this tournament but that didn't happen either.

I'm satisfied with Gohan's overall performance in this arc. He did great, even if he didn't get a new form.

Zeno is once again, really annoying. Last episode he was fun, now he's back to being annoying again.

it was a decent episode but nothing spectacular to me. 6/10.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 am

Average episode, should be named Dyspo and Frieza stuck in reused animation...as for Gohan, what can I say? Even though he was the leader, he was only a bit-part player, all his eliminations just made up numbers and weren't really special apart from the Namekians...Even in his own final episode, he was featured for two mins then knocked out like a noob, worse of all it looks like Golden Frieza could have held on for longer but didn't. All his solo fights looked lacklustre asides from maybe U6 2v1 and the Goku recruitment fight and now we will probably never see him fight again because he will likely never return to prominence, even though he's only in his mid-to-late 20s :clap:

Only positives in ToP:
- Obuni said he's cool. (That fight was literally take an attack, dish out attacks in a "stamina battle", basically it sucked so this could be -1)
- he sounded confident he could battle Frieza, would've been nice to see but everyone knows the deal with Super :?
- made the strategy after observing Dyspo, which was cool.
- acknowledged by Frieza as the leader and by Beerus and Goku saying he did well.
- he grew as a fighter? I'm struggling to make this list honestly as a Gohan fan...

but that said, glass half full for next series, hopefully he comes back :(

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 am

While I know Super is ending and Frieza's endgame will probably go bonkers, SO FAR his plan is working and it's glorious.
Did you notice how Frieza was right before Gohan appeared to 'save' him from a ring out? The same dark face Dyspo had when Frieza was about to 'KO' him. The 'looks-as-if-I'm-about-to-lose-but-only-pretending' look, is what it was.

Frieza knew Gohan was coming to his aid. He was COUNTING on Gohan coming to his aid. It is clear now that he's purposefuly creating opportunities to KO both U7 as well as U11 members, in order to be the last one standing. His 'lost my grip' moment was definitely fake, imo, in order to force Gohan's hand and create a moment where he had to sacrifice himself for the ring out.

Pretty sure he's going to try and do similar things with 17 and Vegeta. Now Toppo's strength may be the cause for his KO, OR it might be the bait he needs to cause Vegeta to come to his aid and lose as well.

I would be very very intrigued to see how his plan would fare if I didn't know about Super's closure. Now, I'm 99% sure the writers are going to play it safe. Realistically I give him a 50% chance of surviving Toppo. 17 is definitely gone next ep, imo.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 am

He didn't even power up to use his white aura form... Or was he technically using it. I would think he could go faster and stay in the match. It would be more dramatic for him to get taken out afterwords against topos god form.. Especially if he got to go full out and confirm his max power. I think it was waisted on dyspo. It's only one more episode. Having him have a good win against dyspo then suddenly loosing at his max to topo would be more interesting. It sure as hell would make topo look more badass. And make for a lot more suspense for the rest of the fight if he can take down powerful fighters 3v1. It's not like anything else that could happen in the eposide couldn't happen. One of which is I have a feeling frieza will demonstrate he has god powers or something because he had that purple energy before.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 am

I was initially extremely butthurt after Gohan's elimination upon the first viewing. I was in the "fuck this episode!" mode for a while. My Goku and Gohan tag team finale was ripped away from me in an instant before my eyes. And worst of all, this sets up the two end scenarios that I absolutely DID NOT want to see, that being a Goku Vegeta or Goku Freeza tag team final battle, quite possibly the two most boring ways this could all end for me. Please no, anything but that.

But after a rewatch, where I knew what was coming, I came to the conclusion that this was a pretty solid episode. Nothing particularly great, but nothing standout terrible, either.

THAT IS, with the exception of the reused animation. Dear god, the production is seemingly falling apart. This is either an intentional decision by Toei to sacrifice this episode in favor of the climax, or the production is melting. Let's hope it's the former. Regardless of what some defenders will insist, having THIS much reused animation is ridiculous and warrants criticism. Plain and simple.

Overall, fun action, and Freeza dialogue is always a treat. Just wish Gohan got a bit more of a wank by the writers before his final send off. It's kinda depressing to think that this could in theory be the last relevant thing Gohan ever does in Dragon Ball.