Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:27 pm

I'd kill for an official summarization of the plot for this movie. We've gone from a DB bastardization summary, to a DBZ bastardization summary. Common Fox, which is it? I'd like to know how I should funnel my hate.

:wink:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 pm

snaku wrote:I'd kill for an official summarization of the plot for this movie. We've gone from a DB bastardization summary, to a DBZ bastardization summary. Common Fox, which is it? I'd like to know how I should funnel my hate.

I agree with sailorspazz...
sailorspazz wrote:It seemed to me like the little blurb at the end was just a summary of what DBZ is about (tacked on after an extensive 5 minute search on the Internet) to explain the series to people reading the article who aren't familiar with it, not necessarily a plot summary of the actual movie being made (which, from what we saw before, is supposed to be Dragonball, not Dragonball Z).
Seems that way to me, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:52 pm

News from ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ll-z-movie
Heroes' Lee Auditions for Dragon Ball Z Movie
posted on 2007-11-11 18:17 EST
During his November 11 panel at Pacific Media Expo, Jason Kyson Lee (Heroes' Ando) said that he is trying out for the role of Yamcha in 20th Century Fox's live-action adaptation of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga. He says that the movie is planned for a 2010 release and that he approved of the script so far. He also said that he was a childhood fan of manga such as Dragon Ball and Takehiko Inoue's Slam Dunk -- of which he had read the entire run.
EDIT: From HeroesFanatic.com

ಠ_ಠ

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Anything is better then this mofo...

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Magica wrote: EDIT: From HeroesFanatic.com

ಠ_ಠ
OH MY GOD HAWT! YES! THANK YOU!! YES!

wolf

Post by wolf » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:28 pm

QuantumDestiny wrote:
Magica wrote: EDIT: From HeroesFanatic.com

ಠ_ಠ
OH MY GOD HAWT! YES! THANK YOU!! YES!
He would actually work as Yamcha conisering I don't watch Heroes much. I was afraid for a moment that they were having some crazy surfer dude audition for it.

JohnnyBoy_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by JohnnyBoy_Z » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:27 am

SonEric84 wrote:
tarsonis wrote:
balrog wrote:You guys realize that no famous actors will be in this movie, right? I mean, are you guys really expecting an all-star cast? It's gonna be a bunch of canadian newbs.
If this were really made, I'd actually prefer it that way. There's really no reason to bring in big-name stars if the name of the movie alone is enough to sell it.

I agree, I would really hate to see big-name actors playing Dragonball characters.
I also agree. It would make the movie more believable with faces you've never seen before. That's how it always is.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:34 am

Forgive the suckyness and the fact that the body's skin colour doesn't match the face, but it's a 2 minute job with MS Paint since I haven't got anything better. :P

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:26 am

Meh, at least they're getting the location right if they plan to film in Mexico. I was initially wondering what the movie would look like when they first mentioned that the shooting location was in Montreal =P

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:18 pm

I wish they held open auditions. :lol:
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

JohnnyBoy_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by JohnnyBoy_Z » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:48 am

They really should have open auditions.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:21 am

News from ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 08-release
Dragon Ball Movie to Film This Year for 2008 Release
posted on 2007-11-14 01:15 EST
Final Destination's James Wong to direct Justin Chatwin (Goku)

Twentieth Century Fox has officially announced that it signed director James Wong (Final Destination, X-Files television series, The One) and casted twenty-five-year-old Justin Chatwin (War of the Worlds, The Invisible, Lost television series) in the lead role of Goku for the movie adaptation of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball action manga. According to the Variety newspaper, filming is set to begin this month, and the film is slated to open worldwide on August 15, 2008. James Marsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike, Smallville's Brainiac) will play the antagonist Piccolo, and Stephen Chow, of Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer fame, is producing the project.

Wong will not only direct the film, but he also rewrote an earlier script that was submitted by Ben Ramsey (The Big Hit). According to The Hollywood Reporter newspaper, the story centers around the alien Goku as an adult as he protects Earth — the very planet he was sent to destroy. Chatwin is training under the stunt firm 87Eleven (The Matrix, The Bourne Supremacy, 300). Other roles are still being casted. Previous reports have indicated that shooting will take place near Montreal, Canada and in Mexico, and that Heroes actor James Kyson Lee is auditioning for the role of Yamcha.

Between 1984 and 1995, Toriyama created 519 installments of the original manga for the publisher Shueisha and its Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. The manga's 42 compiled volumes have sold over 150 million copies in Japan and over 300 million copies worldwide. Both the manga and its anime adaptations (Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z) have enjoyed success in countries in Asia, Europe, North America, and South America. The 17 animated movies in the franchise have been seen a record 49 million times in Japanese theaters. Fox first acquired the live-action film rights to Dragon Ball in 2002.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:16 am

... Wow. Well, after reading that I shot off to the depths of the interwebs and I return with pictures.

Justin Chatwin/Goku:

James Marsters/Piccolo:

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 am

I doubt Mr. Marsters will bleach his hair blonde for this role.
Image Image
Nice... No I'm not gay.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:31 am

I'm happy with Marsters as long as he doesn't put on that horrible attempt at a British accent like he did in Buffy. But apart from that I think it's potentially a great piece of casting, the guy has talent upto his neck and doesn't let himself choke on it.

He's appearing in Torchwood (a gory spinoff to the scifi series Doctor Who) as a sinister omnisexual bad-dude when the second series starts next month. I'll keep "Piccolo" in mind when I'm watching it, ha. :D
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:41 am

SatoSky wrote:I doubt Mr. Marsters will bleach his hair blonde for this role.
Yeah, but it was on the first page of the Google search, and he looked relatively sinister in that shot. :P
He's appearing in Torchwood (a gory spinoff to the scifi series Doctor Who) as a sinister omnisexual bad-dude when the second series starts next month. I'll keep "Piccolo" in mind when I'm watching it, ha. :D
Sweet! I love Doctor Who and Torchwood. Now if only Channel Ten wasn't so screwy with it's Torchwood airtimes...

During their run of season 1, they originally gave it a Monday 9:30 PM timeslot for the first few episodes... Although, it'd usually be running late by at least 20 minutes, one time it was over an hour late... Then they suddenly moved it to Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning 12:00 AM without ANY warning. In fact, I wouldn't have known the new time slot if I didn't check their web site for it... While the ABC has faithfully given Doctor Who a 7:30 PM Saturday timeslot each time a new season begins.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic here... (P.S. David Tennant is an awesome Doctor.)

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:15 am

Justin Chatwin as Goku has me very scarred. I saw The Invisible and not once did I think Goku. I actually saw Sasuke from Naruto.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:24 am

Magica wrote:Image
Wow, I love this guy. I hope he gets to be Yamcha. :o
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Luffy

Post by Luffy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Well this is going to be one hell of a movie. And i think Yamchu looks nice actually.
:D

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Well this is going to be one hell of a movie.
Personnally, according to everything I've seen so far, I'd rather go to hell than paying to see this...thing.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]