If Kale was created in the 90s and Broly now in DBS

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

If Kale was created in the 90s and Broly now in DBS

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Would people actually defend Kale and bash Broly? or would people just bash Kale and defend Broly?

right now I feel like Broly gets a lot of "hate" and Kale gets more love because she is stronger, canon and has a personality?

And btw you can vote which one you prefer down here :
http://www.strawpoll.me/14957165
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: If Kale was created in the 90s and Broly now in DBS

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm

I thought people hated Caulifla, not Kale, but I suppose if the roles were reversed, Broly would be called a copycat of Kale.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm

With the roles reversed, Broly would be the loved one and Kale would be the overrated, hated one.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm

FoolsGil wrote:I thought people hated Caulifla, not Kale, but I suppose if the roles were reversed, Broly would be called a copycat of Kale.
Nah, a lot of people love Caulifla, Kale also gets more love rn and people love her even more when they compare her with Broly.

Everytime I read something about Kale its just "Kale should be in DBFZ because she is canon and actually has a personality compared to "Uga uga kawkawrot" or "Kale would stomp Broly and she is canon, and blablabla she is better in every way compared to Broly" or "I'd rather have Kale over Broly because broly is dumb"

[ images removed by administrator ]

I just don't understand why some ppl need to bash Broly just to make Kale look much better and much likeable? it also works the other way around.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

I'd still dislike both of them.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:40 pm

The whole point of Kale originally was the novelty of the "first female Super Saiyan" (we knew about her way before Caulifla) being a hulking Broly clone. The reveal hinged on the shock factor of seeing that unlikely crossover, based on Broly having been a fixture of the franchise for years. If the roles had been reversed, I don't think it would have had the same impact. We would have got the novelty of a hulking female Super Saiyan back in the 90s and seeing the archetype transplanted onto yet another male fighter would have likely been underwhelming. Also, the backstories would be reversed as well; Broly would have come from Universe 6 (which wasn't a thing in the 90s), while Kale would be an escapee from Planet Vegeta.

That said, I think DBS Broly would have won over fans similar to the way Kale did because of the difference in the roles. Broly was a movie villain first and foremost, his job was to be big and threatening for a feature-length adventure, then get defeated in the end. He was good at that, but the fact that he was so good at is what let him down. I think even Broly haters can agree his first movie was good, but it was being brought back constantly for sequels and video games that caused the problems. Meanwhile, Kale was made for an episodic series and actually had the chance to grow and develop as a character, which made her feel like a breath of fresh air after years of Broly always being little more than a punch-mutant.

So, reverse the roles and you'd like have overhyped, overdone movie villain Kale and her hatred for Kakarot versus shallow but developed newcomer Broly with his cute little arc about gaining confidence. Maybe the romance angle with Caulifla would be more explicit since you can get away with more in a kids' anime. The only question is would 90s audiences have latched onto movie!Kale the way they latched onto Broly. I imagine her being a more divisive character among the intended audience (ie power-level bros) but slightly more popular among the hardcore community.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am

Kataphrut wrote:The whole point of Kale originally was the novelty of the "first female Super Saiyan" (we knew about her way before Caulifla) being a hulking Broly clone. The reveal hinged on the shock factor of seeing that unlikely crossover, based on Broly having been a fixture of the franchise for years. If the roles had been reversed, I don't think it would have had the same impact. We would have got the novelty of a hulking female Super Saiyan back in the 90s and seeing the archetype transplanted onto yet another male fighter would have likely been underwhelming. Also, the backstories would be reversed as well; Broly would have come from Universe 6 (which wasn't a thing in the 90s), while Kale would be an escapee from Planet Vegeta.

That said, I think DBS Broly would have won over fans similar to the way Kale did because of the difference in the roles. Broly was a movie villain first and foremost, his job was to be big and threatening for a feature-length adventure, then get defeated in the end. He was good at that, but the fact that he was so good at is what let him down. I think even Broly haters can agree his first movie was good, but it was being brought back constantly for sequels and video games that caused the problems. Meanwhile, Kale was made for an episodic series and actually had the chance to grow and develop as a character, which made her feel like a breath of fresh air after years of Broly always being little more than a punch-mutant.

So, reverse the roles and you'd like have overhyped, overdone movie villain Kale and her hatred for Kakarot versus shallow but developed newcomer Broly with his cute little arc about gaining confidence. Maybe the romance angle with Caulifla would be more explicit since you can get away with more in a kids' anime. The only question is would 90s audiences have latched onto movie!Kale the way they latched onto Broly. I imagine her being a more divisive character among the intended audience (ie power-level bros) but slightly more popular among the hardcore community.
I understand that, but what I do not understand is how people are bashing Broly just because Kale became more confident and is more powerful than Broly.. I feel like some people do not like Kale because she is interesting, or unique, or because she is cool and has an interesting story, but just because she became more confident and learned to control her power? this is what makes her much better than Broly? and thats the main reason why people love/like her? if Kale didn't have the green hair transformation I wonder if people would still like her and find her much better than Broly... because Kale for me is just someone who lacks confidence, gets upset very easily... then she learned to control her overwhelming power (thanks to Caulifla) and tadda, thats about it... now that she fully controls her power and is now confident after she transforms what do you want to learn more about her? this character isn't that unique or interesting compared to Broly imo because her background is non-existent. Broly at least had a developed backstory, born with a power level of 10.000, King Vegeta wanted to kill him, his dormant power saved himself and his dad from the edge of death, he was so powerful even his own father started fearing him, then Paragus started using him as a pet and at the end wanted to leave his own son to death because he couldn't control him anymore. His motivation can be discussed I personally don't believe Broly would hate Kakarot just because he cried, that doesn't make any sense because Broly is someone who doesn't give a shit about anything besides destroying stuff and being evil/violent, so why would he care about the crying thing in the first place, that doesn't fit his character. Broly isn't the most developed character and the second coming didn't help his character to get any better, but the movie was still understandable and made sense because he lost his mind and became very angry due to what Goku did to him at the end of movie 8. Also even if Broly is taciturn to talk in front of the others in his base form, he was cool. Kale even if she has a baby personality this doesn't make her more interesting or much better than Broly in any way. + we don't even know why Kale is that strong, she is just a random Saiyan with an incredible amount of power just because... why? and people say she is better than Broly? come on now. At least Broly had a backstory (+ he is a movie character), he was unique and original, Kale is just copying Broly's design, attacks and transformation... whats so good about her?

Anyway, does that make him less interesting than Kale? or does that make Kale much better than Broly? I don't think so.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 am

If the roles were inverted, the result would be the same. It's not about when these characters were created, it's about what they contribute to the franchise/series, and both don't add anything substantial. They don't serve for anything other than smashing their opponents, they barely have a personality.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am

Grimlock wrote:If the roles were inverted, the result would be the same. It's not about when these characters were created, it's about what they contribute to the franchise/series, and both don't add anything substantial. They don't serve for anything other than smashing their opponents, they barely have a personality.
I can agree with that, they do not add anything in the story, so I don't understand how is Kale much better than Broly as a character? Caulifla is way more useful in the storyline.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:17 am

Kale is far from being better than anything. But I think that is the point of her character, simply being the anime continuity version of a terrible character, so it is not like she is there to contribute for something. Unless in Toyotaro's continuity she gets to be more interesting and do something? But that is something that all we can do is just wait and see.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 am

Grimlock wrote:Kale is far from being better than anything. But I think that is the point of her character, simply being the anime continuity version of a terrible character, so it is not like she is there to contribute for something. Unless in Toyotaro's continuity she gets to be more interesting and do something? But that is something that all we can do is just wait and see.
The thing is that they don't even want to make her different from Broly or do something with her, all her attacks, movements, scenes, lines when she is in Berserker mode belong to Broly... even Toei call her Berserker form "Broly"

she has no backstory, we have no idea why she is that strong, we only know that she only wants to be with her sister and people say that she can at least speak compared to Broly... but most of her dialogues are "sister, sister, i hate who i am, I'm a pathetic saiyan, i cant, I'm useless, sister is having fun, I'm fighting with sister, I'm the strongest with sister, why are you dodging my sis' attack?" I'm sorry but thats not any better than Broly screaming Kakarot's name over and over :silent:
At least Broly's dialogues in movie 8 were more terrifying, Kale's dialogues are lame and too repetitive.

And more importantly she doesn't bring anything to the story, the only thing she did is canonize Broly's LSSJ form and controlled that form just so you say "ah she is no Broly anymore". other than that she is completely useless, with or without her the story wouldn't change and she is far from being a better character than Broly. She is just Broly with a different personality, ah, so original.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:30 am

There's no need or reason to be disparaging people and their comments, epsecially from completely separate communities. Furthermore, there are far better ways to share things than taking and reposting full-size cell phone screen caps. These have been removed from your posts. Please refer to the community guidelines for a quick refresher on what's expected here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 am

If Kale was created first, then she would have been even more popular than Broly due to the novelty of a female SSJ.

But then again, Broly is a full-blown meme in Japan so idk.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Please don't , goku has enough women yelling at him