Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm

I do not remember if I asked that here, but what were the episodes that Yamamuro participated in DBS? He participated in a few episodes right?

He will be on EP 126. I believe that this EP will be something important for him to participate

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:I do not remember if I asked that here, but what were the episodes that Yamamuro participated in DBS? He participated in a few episodes right?

He will be on EP 126. I believe that this EP will be something important for him to participate
Yes, he participated in episode 13, 19 and 39. Storyboard/Key animation. Of course, he doesn't have to always appear in the staff list because of his position. For example, as shown in the special, he did the ultra instinct Goku reveal when he rises from the rumble and turns to face the camera with the serious face.

I'm curious about the next episode and currently optimistic that it will be fine.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am

cuartas wrote:
cuartas wrote:I've been kept silent when a yashima episode comes, because the last 2 before this one were wonderful, just for the fact that yashima art was almost 0 and the direction improved, this one did the same.
I wanna undertand why, are there new mysterious key animators polishing the art entirely and he's getting help from the best storyboarders and directors? or what is it, how is that sudden increase of quality on his episodes possible?
Anyone knows the answer?
Maybe more time has been made available to him to polish his episodes, allowing him and the key animators under him to produce more solid work while correcting his rougher stuff. As for this episode, though it was very animated, as pretty much everyone has said, it was the absolutely fabulous direction that came through in spades. Karasawa has been paired with Yashima for quite a while, so I guess they wanted to go out with a bang before the series finished?

That's just speculation on my part though, I guess they really just put more time and attention into making this episode, which has such major consequences for the TOP, stand out.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Just why watch it raw? There is literally no reason to and you are only hindering your experience.

I used to do and then one day I decided to wait and trust me the experience is so much better for it. I doubt many watch cam copies of movies so why do people feel the need to still watch DBS raw is beyond me and that isn't even getting into the other issues like understanding what is going on. People like Geekdom do episode "reviews" before the simulcast even goes live annoys me and these people always spout about how you should watch legally etc uploaded his last "review" at 00:52:05 UTC the earliest a simulcast goes live is Daisuki at 1.15am UTC. One thing I am glad about DBS is ending so all this "I wanna be the first" BS can end.

I don't care if people think I am annoying with this, there is no reason to this anymore, even if someone is in a place with no legal simulcast you can still wait a few hours for the show to be uploaded.

For episodes reviews, I can absolutely understand your argument, and even agree with it, but for getting first impressions of the animation, it's irrelevant, and makes wild assumptions about the quality of how certain people watch the show live.

The service I use, for example, is not a particularly large downgrade from the real deal. It's comparable to SD vs HD, not cam vs direct capture. Unless standard definition is somehow totally unacceptable, I don't see the issue.

Some folks may use worse streams, some may not, but you don't know, and that's the point. Attempting to police how people watch the show isn't ever going to work unless you 100% know everyone's circumstances, and even then, so what?

Certain people approach their fandom in different ways, and get enjoyment out of different aspects of the viewing experience. The collective hype that's international when it comes to watching the episode live is not something you can ever experience if you watch it later down the line. It's exciting to be a part of that.

Like, I get it, I really do. I get annoyed when I hear of people experiencing Dunkirk through a CAM or DVDSCR when the whole experience is the sheer scale and lengths to which they went to capturing the feel of the battle. I totally get your perspective. At the same time, I appreciate that not everyone values that first experience in the same way I do. Heck, I might even watch a screener if it meant having a cool community experience out of it. If I don't enjoy it, well I can always give it another shot later down the line. It hasn't ruined the film forever, and that's the beauty of repeat watches - something that's essential for me when it comes to Super, for example.

I remember going to see Where The Wild Things Are and that first experience was ruined by loud children running around, and I left the cinema convinced I hadn't really enjoyed the film. Watched it later down the line and absolutely adored it. It wasn't the end of the world.

I totally appreciate where you're coming from, and it's great that you personally enjoy doing things the way you do, but to say there's no reason to watch it live or to look down your nose at people who choose to do so isn't really very fair.
I am not trying to look down on people, if it is coming across that way, just want to help people as it made me enjoy the show so much not having this burden of staying up to watch it. But you are right with your "Certain people approach their fandom in different ways" comment, you prefer subbed I prefer dubbed for example and you could try and convince me to never watch the show dubbed and I can see how that could become annoying so fair enough.
But, you have agree that some fans do like the show without subtitles or before they come out. It's just something they like. I perfectly understand your hate of people trying to point their reviews first which is meaningless. I mean people do want to know your opinion but wait until others have a chance to watch the episode beforehand. But, you can't throw them all into the same group. Some people like watching the same show in different ways.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Damm I watched this epsiode live (raw) and it was already impressive (visual wise) then i watched it in 1080p it was sometimes movie quality especially the second part.

Do we know the upcoming animators (supervisors) of the upcoming episodes?

I know episode 126:

Epsiode 126
By Tsutomu Ono > Did episode 39 (goku vs hit) and episode 109 (Jiren vs Goku)
By Yasuhiro Namatame> Did episode 111 (Jiren vs Hit)

I think epsiode 126 will just do fine.
Just why watch it raw? There is literally no reason to and you are only hindering your experience.

I used to do and then one day I decided to wait and trust me the experience is so much better for it. I doubt many watch cam copies of movies so why do people feel the need to still watch DBS raw is beyond me and that isn't even getting into the other issues like understanding what is going on. People like Geekdom do episode "reviews" before the simulcast even goes live annoys me and these people always spout about how you should watch legally etc uploaded his last "review" at 00:52:05 UTC the earliest a simulcast goes live is Daisuki at 1.15am UTC. One thing I am glad about DBS is ending so all this "I wanna be the first" BS can end.

I don't care if people think I am annoying with this, there is no reason to this anymore, even if someone is in a place with no legal simulcast you can still wait a few hours for the show to be uploaded.
Lol i watch both raw and subbed. I totally agree on subbed being the overall better viewing experience, but since i live in Europe, i'm in no way going to wait till 2 am for the subs to air and with that royally fuck up my sleep rhythm. Now of course i could also just wait till the next day, get some sleep, wake up, and then watch it. But i sometimes can't hold myself back (especially when the episode is highly anticipated) to wait for it. It's the hype man. The hype keeps you up :D . Then after i'm done i'll write something here straight away and go to bed. I'll watch the subbed version upon waking up. Good thing about this is that i'll be able to get my Dragon ball fix 2 times, no, 3 times actually since i will also watch the dub on sundays, bad thing is of course that it's not the best for my sleep rhythm, even just waiting till 1 am. I believe i'm one of the people who really should follow your advice though, i keep waking up thinking to myself: 'that was not worth it..Now i'll feel crappy for the rest of the day'. Just being patient, not fucking with my sleep AND getting a better overal first time viewing experience sounds pretty rational and wise to me! Also, about the reviews: totally agree, just like with the rest here.
How i got into this shit:

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 am

Why do you think Super didn't use the Blue aura from the ROF movie instead of the current shitty Blue aura (for SSJB)?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 am

JazzMazz wrote:
cuartas wrote:
cuartas wrote:I've been kept silent when a yashima episode comes, because the last 2 before this one were wonderful, just for the fact that yashima art was almost 0 and the direction improved, this one did the same.
I wanna undertand why, are there new mysterious key animators polishing the art entirely and he's getting help from the best storyboarders and directors? or what is it, how is that sudden increase of quality on his episodes possible?
Anyone knows the answer?
Maybe more time has been made available to him to polish his episodes, allowing him and the key animators under him to produce more solid work while correcting his rougher stuff. As for this episode, though it was very animated, as pretty much everyone has said, it was the absolutely fabulous direction that came through in spades. Karasawa has been paired with Yashima for quite a while, so I guess they wanted to go out with a bang before the series finished?

That's just speculation on my part though, I guess they really just put more time and attention into making this episode, which has such major consequences for the TOP, stand out.
Considering this was more than likely Yashima's last episode, that was a damn great send off. Barely resembles the same guy from Avengers and Saint Seiya Omega. His episodes from the latter looked absolutely awful, almost all of them.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am

Ajay what is the 2.0 in the thread title supposed to indicate?
emperior wrote: I like your albums a lot, but you put way too many pictures. It would be nice if you collected only the shots you consider very good. For example, I would remove the SSJ2-like Blue shots, and the ones from behind. You also repeated the shot of Vegeta rushing against Jiren twice.
For sure for sure, I just like adding every screen grab as it is easier to then delete the unnecessary one's except I just never get around to deleting them! But now DBS is ending I will wait until then and then comb through everything I'll delete instances of the same shots but different angles etc and whenever SSGSS Goku is drawn without a bang unless the drawing is really good and then obviously not so good drawings. I have been picky for the SSG/Vegeta new form albums though.

Android350

Post by Android350 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 am

Does anyone else feel like the androids' faces look a bit strange? A bit.... off? They were much fiercer in their own saga (duh, as they should), but give them a different hair color in super and you wouldn't recognize them at all.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:24 am

Android350 wrote:Does anyone else feel like the androids' faces look a bit strange? A bit.... off? They were much fiercer in their own saga (duh, as they should), but give them a different hair color in super and you wouldn't recognize them at all.
I agree. A lot of it just has to do with the softer character models Super uses.

Less details in both face and hair, skinnier character models, smaller foreheads, no indented cheeks, the mouth is more proportional at times compared to the normally quite small mouths in regards of the eye size; less sharpness in the eyes, less pointy noses, more chubby childlike faces (overall a softer looking face).
How i got into this shit:

Android350

Post by Android350 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 am

FartiliciousManChild wrote:
Android350 wrote:Does anyone else feel like the androids' faces look a bit strange? A bit.... off? They were much fiercer in their own saga (duh, as they should), but give them a different hair color in super and you wouldn't recognize them at all.
I agree. A lot of it just has to do with the softer character models Super uses.

Less details in both face and hair, skinnier character models, smaller foreheads, no indented cheeks, the mouth is more proportional at times compared to the normally quite small mouths in regards of the eye size; less sharpness in the eyes, less pointy noses, more chubby childlike faces (overall a softer looking face).
So if I get you right, this 'soft style' was an intentional decision for super?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 am

Araki wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
cuartas wrote: Anyone knows the answer?

Considering this was more than likely Yashima's last episode, that was a damn great send off. Barely resembles the same guy from Avengers and Saint Seiya Omega. His episodes from the latter looked absolutely awful, almost all of them.
I'm glad that Yashima went out with a bang.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Araki wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Maybe more time has been made available to him to polish his episodes, allowing him and the key animators under him to produce more solid work while correcting his rougher stuff. As for this episode, though it was very animated, as pretty much everyone has said, it was the absolutely fabulous direction that came through in spades. Karasawa has been paired with Yashima for quite a while, so I guess they wanted to go out with a bang before the series finished?

I don't think it's because his last episode, as I said, watch the other last 2 ep and the quality exceeds my expectations too

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am

Dream for the finale:

Supervisors: Shimanuki & Takahashi with clean/touch ups by Yamamuro like he did in #110.

(Top) Key animators: Shida, Onishi & Takahashi.

Script: Tomioka.

SB and Director: Nagamine.

Art Direction: Has to be Lee obviously!

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 am

No Tate? I wouldn't like it. He is the best animator in the show IMO
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 am

A little off topic. I've been going through Dragon Ball Z and I recently watched Episode 162, which is the episode where Vegeta does his Final Flash against Cell. It's gotta be the best looking episode of this series that I've come across so far.

I was curious as to who animated that one.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 am

Bullza wrote:A little off topic. I've been going through Dragon Ball Z and I recently watched Episode 162, which is the episode where Vegeta does his Final Flash against Cell. It's gotta be the best looking episode of this series that I've come across so far.

I was curious as to who animated that one.
I recall it as Yamamuro and others, but you can check the guide on the site.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:No Tate? I wouldn't like it. He is the best animator in the show IMO
If we want Takahashi to supervise the finale then Tate's style wouldn't mesh well with his and so I think Shimanuki would be a better fit. Like the Trunks arc where Tate supervises the penultimate episode to the finale I want the same to happen here and if that is the case then he would more than likely KA for that episode.

He is a great animator but I don't think he is needed for the finale.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:25 pm

dbgtFO wrote:I recall it as Yamamuro and others, but you can check the guide on the site.
Oh I see it, it says Yamamuro for animation and Yoshida for art. I'm not sure which if any had the greater impact on the episode looking good but I can see why that Yamamuro became so important later on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Bullza wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:I recall it as Yamamuro and others, but you can check the guide on the site.
Oh I see it, it says Yamamuro for animation and Yoshida for art. I'm not sure which if any had the greater impact on the episode looking good but I can see why that Yamamuro became so important later on.
'Art' refers to the backgrounds. Yamamuro was the animation supervisor, meaning he corrected the drawings and kept them in line with his style.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf