How do you feel about Super making Vegeta the secondary protagonist (as opposed to Gohan in Z)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How do you feel about Super making Vegeta the secondary protagonist (as opposed to Gohan in Z)?

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 am

One of the biggest changes between the “Z” and “Super” franchises is the shift in focus on characters.

Z was very much the story of Goku and Gohan. In the Saiyan and Namek arcs, they each had their own stories, culminating in final battles together. They’d spend a lot of time training together in the Android arc, before reverting back to generally split stories in the Buu arc.

I’m Super, Goku and Vegeta have had their stories greatly intertwined. In the BoG arc it seemed that it would be largely Goku’s story, but that quickly changed when they began training together. They’ve been virtually inseparable in the RoF and Zamasu arcs, and each had their moments (and tons of screen time) in the U6 and ToP arcs.

Do you like or dislike the change, and why? Please specify in your post if either Gohan or Vegeta is your favorite character btw.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: How do you feel about Super making Vegeta the secondary protagonist (as opposed to Gohan in Z)?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am

I dislike the change because Vegeta's arc ended back in Z and they haven't done anything new with the character that warrants the huge amount of screen-time that he's been getting. He's boring now, incredibly enough. I don't mind the change too much though, since I never liked Gohan to begin with, but Super, in the time period they chose, would have been better off as Goku's story.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: How do you feel about Super making Vegeta the secondary protagonist (as opposed to Gohan in Z)?

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 am

I'm mixed on Vegeta in Super. When he's Gokû's prince and classmate he's awesome, but when he's that disinterested mature guy who's moved on from the storm of crazy stuff that happens around Gokû I too cease to care about Vegeta.

So....I like Vegeta as Gokû's other half, but he's kinda boring on his own nowadays. (He was fun on his own back in Z though.)

Gohan never really interested me, btw. Saiyaman is fun, but that's about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am

I adore the change. Gohan is so boring, things are never interesting when he's on-screen. He's just the generic goody goody two shoes young man who is polite and wise (and, obviously, happens to be an half-breed prodigy) and doesn't want to hurt anyone, unless his family is at stake, -of course-. He's basically Future Trunks except he lacks an intriguing design and a mysterious backstory. Although they do have a few things in common, such as plot armor and asspulls. But he's still such a lame character. I'm glad he's no longer in the Tournament of Power. And no, I don't like Vegeta; in fact, my favourite character is Fused Zamasu.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 am

I never felt Gohan as a secondary protagonist, at some point he jumped to the main for a few chapters to end cell with psychological help and that’s it , after that he was not the second , he’s was a trump card that only work once . He never liked to fight , he focus in a normal life out of hard training . I understand a lot of fandom want more from him , but as I interpreted the series , he’s never been the second , he’s the son of the main character , and father and son as the main cast is not good .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 pm

prince212 wrote:I never felt Gohan as a secondary protagonist, at some point he jumped to the main for a few chapters to end cell with psychological help and that’s it , after that he was not the second , he’s was a trump card that only work once . He never liked to fight , he focus in a normal life out of hard training . I understand a lot of fandom want more from him , but as I interpreted the series , he’s never been the second , he’s the son of the main character , and father and son as the main cast is not good .
I disagree. Some of the series' best moments have been between Goku and his children and the potential for these types of stories to grow is definitely there. That's my opinion, of course, but to say that Z didn't have a big Gohan focus is false. He was most definitely the "second lead" after Goku for most of the series aside from the beginning parts of the Android/Cell arc. One need only to read the manga/rewatch the anime to see this.

As for the OP's point, I never liked it. As Doctor. said Vegeta's story came full circle back in Z and hasn't been particularly interesting since. This arc is a good example of that, actually. The way they've written him in the tournament proper has been downright awful, with his inclusion in the finale feeling outright forced after zero setup. He had some nice moments in the Trunks arc but they've since squandered that.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Good choice. Vegeta is much more entertaining than Gohan. Call him tsundere, I don't care - the truth is - he is the most developed character in DB history and still develops (caring for some Saiyan from U6 he barely knows while he didn't really care about his OWN folks in the past - killing Nappa etc).

I wouldn't even protest if he became (by some miracle) the main protagonist.

Vegeta is the GOAT!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Love it. Gohan doesn’t deserve the role of second in charge. For all Vegeta’s work, he’s earned it
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 pm

People say Vegeta’s story came full circle in Z but I would argue so did Gohan’s. Both of their characters’ story arcs kind of concluded in Z.

And it wasn’t really Super that made Vegeta secondary main character. I would argue he became that during the Buu saga.

I do like Gohan a lot and don’t see why there couldn’t be 3 main characters but if there are only 2 I do think Vegeta and Goku work better. Mainly because they just have chemistry that Goku & Gohan lack.

Of course I love watching Goku fighting along side his son but there is just not that conflict and sizzle that Vegeta & Goku bring. I like to say they are like an old married couple.

Of course as a Vegeta fan I admit I am terribly biased but I do think making Vegeta the secondary lead was one of Super’s best decisions. And while he sort of was in the Buu saga I love finally getting to see Vegeta as a full fledged hero throughout Super with no conflicts in his heart.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm

He's a better choice than gohan.About character arc being over,everyone's arc concluded may be even goku.It's just that goku has such a arbitrary goal that you can keep on going forever.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Gohan is a favourite of mine but I can certainly understand why people wouldn't care for his personality. In fact, I very much dislike Vegeta because he's like the unabashed poster child of Saiyan exclusivity with an undertone of supremacism in his rhetoric and actions. He represents everything that I've come to dislike about Dragon Ball. Gohan has his fair share of unwarranted genetically induced power ups but he never dismissed others who weren't Saiyans and he was always respectful to those around him; definitely a boy scout but when you compare him to all the smug "in it for myself" brawler enthusiasts that this show is comprised of, is that really so bad? I have more respect for him and Cabba than I do most of the other Saiyans in Super.

To be honest, at this point I wouldn't mind someone like Tenshinhan or even Chaozu taking the ancillary reigns of an arc for a change. We've seen so little of them since DBZ started but they do have potential with their backgrounds as disenfranchised but still faithful adherents to the Crane style. Chaozu has his telekinetic abilities which were barely even acknowledged after the 22nd tournament and Tenshinhan still appears to harbour some weariness towards Vegeta. I would rather see Tenshinhan try to make a comeback inspired by his desire to not be dependent on whimful self-indulging aliens (Goku and Gohan being exceptions though he still probably doesn't like feeling helpless).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm

It's a natural continuation of where he was left off at the end of Buu's fight. After admiting his weaknesses and that Goku was a better fighter, it was only natural to see where Vegeta would go after going through that kind of change as he had finally turned into a good guy after being a villain for so long.

With that said, it doesn't excuse them sidelining Gohan as they could've developed the 3 characters and had them work off each other in interesting ways, especially with Future Trunks being thrown into the mix in his arc.

That's what they did in Z, Vegeta started out as a villain who needed to be taken out by the 2, He ended up helping them against Freeza and Cell and then everything ended with him being the one on Goku's side against the story's final villain (Super Buu then Kid Buu), making him just as important as Gohan.

Hopefully Gohan and Piccolo will end up having a bigger role when Super returns as they're too good of characters to just throw to the sides. The original really made you like these characters, from the big shots like Gohan and Vegeta to smaller characters like Tien and Yamcha so hopefully this is something they'll do again in the future.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:03 pm

sintzu wrote:It's a natural continuation of where he was left off at the end of Buu's fight. After admiting his weaknesses and that Goku was a better fighter, it was only natural to see where Vegeta would go after going through that kind of change as he had finally turned into a good guy after being a villain for so long.

With that said, it doesn't excuse them sidelining Gohan as they could've developed the 3 characters and had them work off each other in interesting ways, especially with Future Trunks being thrown into the mix in his arc.

That's what they did in Z, Vegeta started out as a villain who needed to be taken out by the 2, He ended up helping them against Freeza and Cell and then everything ended with him being the one on Goku's side against the story's final villain (Super Buu then Kid Buu), making him just as important as Gohan.

Hipefully Gohan and Piccolo will end up having a bigger role when Super returns as they're too good of characters to just throw to the sides. The original really made you like these characters, from the big shots like Gohan and Vegeta to smaller characters like Tien and Yamcha so hopefully this is something they'll do again in the future.
This is true. They never should have sidelined so many characters for so long. Going forward they should definitely keep what they've done with the current arc in mind.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:17 pm

I still would've liked it if Raditz was the secondary protagonist both in Z (at least in the Buu arc) and Super, but Vegeta and Gohan were still two of the most popular characters in the franchise, even though I feel Raditz deserved some popularity, too.
Caulifla best girl! :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I still would've liked it if Raditz was the secondary protagonist both in Z (at least in the Buu arc) and Super, but Vegeta and Gohan were still two of the most popular characters in the franchise, even though I feel Raditz deserved some popularity, too.
I wish Radtiz was just some random Saiyan while Toriyama held onto the idea of Goku's brother for a later time when he'd have a good story and role for such an important character, same thing with Tarble.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 pm

I like the change. He became a main character since he first showed up in Z and progressed from arc villain to anti-hero to ally throughout, so him getting promoted to deuteragonist in Super seems like a natural progression. While I'm not a big fan of both characters for the most part, I prefer Vegeta mainly due to him being generally entertaining unlike Gohan, who was only cool to me when he was angry.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm

i NEVER saw Gohan as a major character at all [i saw Gohan as a supporting character, like Bulma, Krilin and others], so... i never noticed this [maybe because i hate Gohan and i love Vegeta?]. Anyway, i like how Super made Gohan consistent, stopped giving him nonsensical powerups out of nowhere, and gave Vegeta major character development.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Kanious wrote:i NEVER saw Gohan as a major character at all [i saw Gohan as a supporting character, like Bulma, Krilin and others], so... i never noticed this [maybe because i hate Gohan and i love Vegeta?].t.
Dude, what? Gohan is literally a major part of every single DBZ arc, the only time he doesn't do much is the early/mid parts of the Cell saga. How on earth could you have never seen Gohan as a major character in DBZ?

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 pm

precita wrote:Dude, what? Gohan is literally a major part of every single DBZ arc, the only time he doesn't do much is the early/mid parts of the Cell saga. How on earth could you have never seen Gohan as a major character in DBZ?
i don't know, i just never felt he was a major character. To me he had brief moments, like in Cell's arc and Buu's arc (and in this arc even Goten and Trunks had their moments of shine), but for the major part of DBZ he looked like a SUPPORTING character.

My perception may be wrong, but to me ALWAYS Dragon Ball Z was about Goku, and Vegeta, and that their rivalry was something that would perdure ages, differently from Piccolo's rivalry with Goku.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:22 pm

Kanious wrote:
precita wrote:Dude, what? Gohan is literally a major part of every single DBZ arc, the only time he doesn't do much is the early/mid parts of the Cell saga. How on earth could you have never seen Gohan as a major character in DBZ?
i don't know, i just never felt he was a major character. To me he had brief moments, like in Cell's arc and Buu's arc (and in this arc even Goten and Trunks had their moments of shine), but for the major part of DBZ he looked like a SUPPORTING character.

My perception may be wrong, but to me ALWAYS Dragon Ball Z was about Goku, and Vegeta, and that their rivalry was something that would perdure ages, differently from Piccolo's rivalry with Goku.
Gohan gets much more focus than Vegeta for most of DBZ. Not even counting that Vegeta was a villian in the first saga.