Jiren is...weird

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Jiren is...weird

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:50 am

At this pointI gave up trying to understand his character. He hints sometimes that he stands for justice like in episode 111, but then all of a sudden he becomes a complete douch, he literally lets Goku and Vegeta do whatever the fuck they want even though he had plenty of chances to eliminate them but suddenly gets pissed and calls them impudent bastards. I mean what did he expect?

He is written inconsistently, and is doing everything poissible to reduce his chances to win. And we still don't know what he wants or anything about him, he serves as a big wall for U7 and that's it.

Just what's his deal? I feel like if he would suddenly smash his head into a rock for no reason, I wouldn't be surprised anymore.
Last edited by Amir on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Re: Jiren is...weird

Post by precita » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:51 am

He's a gray alien, that is his only characterisation.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:55 am

I believe that Jiren was referring to C-17 and Freeza as “impudent bastards” as he was preparing an energy blast meant for them.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:10 am

I can't connect all hints of characterization they've thrown together to assume overall what kind of a guy he is. I know he likes cumbia music, though.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 am

Because he has no personality of his own, he is given whatever the current writer feels suits him, and different minds have different definitions of suitable characterization..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 am

Toyotaru will fix this, Since he is 1 writer writing the whole ToP. Super eps, since they dont follow a manga are at the mercy of the writers of each episode.

Hence all the inconsistent stuff also.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:15 am

I agree. Weird is the best word to describe Jiren at this point. His personality sways from confident to stoic. We have no explanation to how he got this freaking strong. So the inconsistency on Jiren makes it difficult to buy into him as the biggest threat ever
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 am

I concur. I really like how Jiren is given more consistent characterization in the manga, but in the anime it's... just weird, like the OP said. He's stoic, then smirking confidently, then just an ass to his own teammates, then stoic again. I really don't get this guy personality wise.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:24 am

Jiren's 'personality' is comparable to that of a potato. The only difference might be that the potato's personality is less incosistent. Confront Zamasu and Jiren and you will realize quickly how shallow and pathetic the main antagonist of this arc is.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:26 am

One episode you have Stoic Jiren, in another Philosophical Jiren, then Badass Jiren and now Douchebag Jiren, how many more versions of him are we going to see, before he reveals his final form :lol:
Toei really should have released a new movie now and called it:

Jiren: 50 shades of The Grey

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 am

Looking at how Jiren has been presented in this arc, I can't help but wonder if the entire reason he exists is because someone showed Toriyama the ScrewAttack Death Battle video.

He obviously knows about Superman, he parodied him in Dr Slump and basically stole his origin story for Goku. But Jiren feels like Superman as Death Battle presented him, and I feel like Toriyama would eat that idea up. "A foe so powerful, nothing Goku can do can defeat him no matter how strong he gets? That's a great idea for a villain!"

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:09 am

Well what do you expect from Jiren the ayy lmao?

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 am

Jiren is the worst antagonist I have ever seen. I usually like the villains, even some corny ones like majin buu. I mean I hated buu at first but he grows on you quick. But Jiren on the other hand has absolutely nothing unique. His look is blah, his personality is blah, morals? No body knows..I think his character is beyond repair at this point.

Zamasu should of been the last villain.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:42 am

dbgtFO wrote:One episode you have Stoic Jiren, in another Philosophical Jiren, then Badass Jiren and now Douchebag Jiren, how many more versions of him are we going to see, before he reveals his final form :lol:

Underappreciated post.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:31 am

Torturephile wrote:I can't connect all hints of characterization they've thrown together to assume overall what kind of a guy he is. I know he likes cumbia music, though.

There's also the fact that some of his characterization may have been bad handled due to bad writing.

By the way, if Jiren doesn't dance to his cumbia, super will waste him completely as a character
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 am

julianix wrote:Jiren is the worst antagonist I have ever seen. I usually like the villains, even some corny ones like majin buu. I mean I hated buu at first but he grows on you quick. But Jiren on the other hand has absolutely nothing unique. His look is blah, his personality is blah, morals? No body knows..I think his character is beyond repair at this point.

Zamasu should of been the last villain.
Beacause he isn't a Villain at all, he's just a super strong opponent in a Tournament.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:33 am

dbgtFO wrote:One episode you have Stoic Jiren, in another Philosophical Jiren, then Badass Jiren and now Douchebag Jiren, how many more versions of him are we going to see, before he reveals his final form :lol:

Who's the heroine? :D
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 am

Yeah I feel a little let down with how they've developed his character. I even found his comment towards Toppo weird, makes him sound like an arrogant ass.

Hopefully they redeem with somewhat in the next few episodes.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 am

Xeogran wrote: Underappreciated post.
Thanks, haha
Hawk9211 wrote: Who's the heroine? :D
I don't know, Brianne de Chateau? She's always talking about love, but was oblivious to the love between Krillin and #18..
Maybe Jiren could show her another kind of love...

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Xeogran wrote: Underappreciated post.
Thanks, haha
Hawk9211 wrote: Who's the heroine? :D
I don't know, Brianne de Chateau? She's always talking about love, but was oblivious to the love between Krillin and #18..
Maybe Jiren could show her another kind of love...
Probably she even seemed to like him.But,now I think that goku and vegeta also fit.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball