IMO, the biggest problem with ToP in the anime

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

IMO, the biggest problem with ToP in the anime

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 am

I could forgive a lot of this arc if not for one thing

they build up things that they don't plan to payoff. The manga chapters so far have mentioned none of the nonU7 and U6 characters that the anime did, no mention of tactics or teamwork, no mention of Gohan being important, no mention of nothing basically besides Goku gets the gang together, he fights 17 at ss3 level and then they go fight in the void and female saiyans get transformation offscreen, which I called. I'm already seeing things that won't be in the manga, unless they were a joke like the mafuba. Vegeta's form won't be there I bet that.

Why did they do this?

The manga will obviously have its own problems but I have zero expectations on what it will do so I have less reason to be disappointed.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: IMO, the biggest problem with ToP in the anime

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

Totamo wrote:Why did they do this?
To make people hyped and keep coming back for more and hoping they get off scot free, because of being charming, funny and exciting.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 am

dbgtFO wrote:
To make people hyped and keep coming back for more and hoping they get off scot free, because of being charming, funny and exciting.
But its none of those things. Its annoying, disheartening and unnecessary.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 am

Totamo wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
They are likely banking on that being a minority opinion. As long as the general target demographic is happy, they are home and hosed.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Totamo wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:To make people hyped and keep coming back for more and hoping they get off scot free, because of being charming, funny and exciting.
They are likely banking on that being a minority opinion. As long as the general target demographic is happy, they are home and hosed.
And they will be...until we grow up like we did.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 am

The only thing they learned from GT was fan service .
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:51 am

Hawk9211 wrote:The only thing they learned from GT was fan service .
Fanservice for who? Goku.? He is fanservice.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:53 am

Most people don't care about payoff or story, they just want to see their favorites win. Toei understands this, which is why characters suddenly getting stronger and doing insane feats are what gets them hype. A LOT of people are praising the recent episode because it delivered on what they wanted for a character they liked, logic be damned

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 am

Totamo wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:The only thing they learned from GT was fan service .
Fanservice for who? Goku.? He is fanservice.
For fans.Take top.Also what OLKv3 said.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 am

So in other words the Manga isn't building towards anything? How is that remotely better? Regardless of what you think the anime didn't pay off what it built it still built something to intrigue you. The Manga is some boring fluff, no interactions no nothing so when all the other universes come there's nothing to give a shit about. Relationships between the likes of Goku and Hit non existent, hell the relationship with the U6/7 is already paper thin in the Manga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Some things in Dragon Ball have build and payoff and others don't. That's how Dragon Ball's story has operated for over three decades. If you're now just noticing this then, to be quite blunt, you haven't read a lot of Dragon Ball.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So in other words the Manga isn't building towards anything? How is that remotely better? Regardless of what you think the anime didn't pay off what it built it still built something to intrigue you. The Manga is some boring fluff, no interactions no nothing so when all the other universes come there's nothing to give a shit about. Relationships between the likes of Goku and Hit non existent, hell the relationship with the U6/7 is already paper thin in the Manga.
Because I have nothing to be disappointed about. Nothing to be angry about. There is nothing worse than wasted potential, intrigue be damned. People are calling this the worst arc in Super for this exact reason.It is not living up to expectations that it set for itself. The anime can have all the character interactions and relationships all they want, but if it leads to nothing to story wise.

Our time has been wasted. The manga does lack heart but why so many say its better than the anime, is that it does often have more logic behind it. Case in point, Toyo not building up original ideas that he knows he won't off or putting characters that simply won't matter and give fans falsehope.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Some things in Dragon Ball have build and payoff and others don't. That's how Dragon Ball's story has operated for over three decades. If you're now just noticing this then, to be quite blunt, you haven't read a lot of Dragon Ball.
Gohan is basically the example of this, with all that build up in the cell saga,he really did nothing in the Buu saga other than committing the same mistake.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So in other words the Manga isn't building towards anything? How is that remotely better? Regardless of what you think the anime didn't pay off what it built it still built something to intrigue you. The Manga is some boring fluff, no interactions no nothing so when all the other universes come there's nothing to give a shit about. Relationships between the likes of Goku and Hit non existent, hell the relationship with the U6/7 is already paper thin in the Manga.
While I agree with the anime handling Hit and Goku relation better but there still that bond of saiyans of U6 and 7 as shown in the current chapter there building up Caulifla and Goku mentorship.It look like you haven't read the manga since it gave screentime to some of the other Universe with God's or mortal.
Mostly active on discord.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Some things in Dragon Ball have build and payoff and others don't. That's how Dragon Ball's story has operated for over three decades. If you're now just noticing this then, to be quite blunt, you haven't read a lot of Dragon Ball.
I know you are mostly talking about the Buu and the Cell saga but those arcs never promised this much.Which the reason for my anger, No Arc in Dragon ball has ever promised this much and thats why its feels like the biggest letdown in the entire franchise.

I wouldn't care about any of the nonsense or inconsistencies that many have complained about, if they simply paid off what they built up properly.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Totamo wrote: I know you are mostly talking about the Buu and the Cell saga but those arcs never promised this much.Which the reason for my anger, No Arc in Dragon ball has ever promised this much and thats why its feels like the biggest letdown in the entire franchise.

I wouldn't care about any of the nonsense or inconsistencies that many have complained about, if they simply paid off what they built up properly.
They did promise Gohan being the next main character and look what happened.
Mostly active on discord.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 pm

The good thing about the anime is that it builds expectation and things doesn't always go accordingly to our expectations. This adds to unpredictability, and at least for me, it is a good point (that yes, sometimes can be annoying). This lacks in the manga. To me the manga is good, but is a bit rushed and SHORT. I miss weekly editions of the manga.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:35 pm

The worse problem is that is ending , and there’s no possibility to take back things that can be used .
It’s not an anime vs manga thing , because manga can’t cover everything .
A tournament with 80 people , obviously they have to build up a bunch of them and then throw them , it’s only natural , and if there’s no more series .. some of them are gonna seem to be waste , at least that means that they took your interest
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Nah,it is just not building to everything.Gohan has been training since end of black arc.Vegeta has achieved mastered ssb and goku has hinted to have something.Krillin is rusty.17 has returned after a long time and is ssj3 level.U11 has a nice build up and U6 saiyans have better build up.Quitela and beerus rivalry are better set up.Even if the next chapter does not focus on other universes,there are a lot of possibilities in the actual tournament.
About,things not having pay off in dragon ball then I can also tell you that it is not well received.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Totamo wrote:
I know you are mostly talking about the Buu and the Cell saga but those arcs never promised this much.Which the reason for my anger, No Arc in Dragon ball has ever promised this much and thats why its feels like the biggest letdown in the entire franchise.
I can honestly say there have been three aspects of this arc that were teased and they never followed up on:
1. Majin Boo taking part in the Tournament Of Power
2. Goahn achieving a new form that had never been seen before.
3. Caulfila attaining SSJ3

That's it.

Every other promise that fans had for this arc were based on their own expectations from going into this story blindly.

And I'm not just talking about the Cell and Majin Boo arc in regards to where there are moments that have build up and have no payoff or have payoff with no proper build up. Moments like that are scattered across the story. It's just the Cell arc and the Majin Boo arc are the worst offenders of this.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:29 pm

The biggest problem with the ToP arc is that it's an inconsistent, poorly structured mess filled with cop-outs in every other episode. But at the same time, if you shut your brain off, the improved animation, battles, and music make it the most entertaining experience Super has ever delivered. It's the equivalent of a little kid playing with DBZ action figures and making up a story as they bang the toys against each other. If you're that kid, you're not really making sense of anything in your head, but it's fun, so f*** it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super