Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 am

The line with Jiren at the end is rather interesting to me, him showing disgust that his entire team is relying solely on him and disappointment in Toppo for throwing away his convictions for power. Coupled with his lines in the manga where he said he'd leave the tournament if anyone in his universe needed help, I'm starting to think Jiren is a guy who is strongly stubborn in doing things the right way no matter the results. "What does saving the Universe matter if it is achieved through such disgraceful means?"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 am

All I'm going to say is that as long as casuals like this "bad writing" then dont expect anything else from Toei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RCDz_lIdo

Casuals enjoyed the episodes and for Toei they are their main target and not the Internet Community/Hardcore fans. If you want to see anime with good writing then just wait for Boku No Hero Academia.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

Okay I gotta be honest I call high levels of bullcrap on this episode. So now all of a sudden Vegeta can power through Hakai? I just can't find it at all believable that this energy that nuetralizes energy is suddenly something these characters can power past. Actually no, that's not even the hard part to believe because these characters pull transformations out their ass left and right.

And even less so that Vegeta could basically blow himself up again and be in well enough condition to not only continue fighting but go back into his new form in the next episode. I mean it's cool and all but it's kinda all super rushed and it honestly makes for a cliched experience and ending.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:00 pm

An extremely weak episode after last week great momentum, this one destroyed completely.
    Is idiotic that #17 and Frieza think normal rocks can beat Toppo and that match was really boring,it was ki and Hakai, that's basically the meat of the action, making hakai a generic technique.
      Vegeta goes yet another speech, this is the third one now is a re thread of majin Vegeta, I've liked the concept narratively but the execution is left to be desired.
        Toppo is a disappointment no suprised and Jiren at the end was kinda cool with being angry at Toppo at casting away with his justice pride for destruction, I would have liked this scene more if there was some consistency with this character.
        dbs fanboy wrote:I need to ask, who wrote this episode? Because i can't see Toshio or that writer from the Ft Trunks arc being being behind this.
        The same guy who is behind 119.
        Last edited by The gr on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        Mostly active on discord.

Spider-Man
        Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:20 pm

One of the weakest as well disappointed episode.
          The whole fight was extremely boring it was hakai and ki blast over and over again,the strategy of #17 & Frieza was really stupid throwing rocks seriously I expect a better one.
            Vegeta did yet another sacrifice but this was inferior while I'm glad they mention bulma but they should have done that when he obtain Royal Blue and Toppo was wasted.
              The positive in this episode was the animation,Jiren smiling even if he was a jackass and Vegeta goes shirtless before Goku.
                Overall weak episode I expect to be better but it wasn't.

OverHeaven
                Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:23 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]Beerus's becoming more and more of an idiot, guess the clowns around him did the job.
                ------------------

Oh boy, re-watching old episodes and seeing all the foreshadowing and interesting plot points that got completely wasted really hurts.
                [spoiler]Image
                Image[/spoiler]
                Why did you have to go and leaves us with this garbage emoji alien? :thumbdown:

Torturephile
                Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 pm

perucho1990 wrote:All I'm going to say is that as long as casuals like this "bad writing" then dont expect anything else from Toei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RCDz_lIdo

Casuals enjoyed the episodes and for Toei they are their main target and not the Internet Community/Hardcore fans. If you want to see anime with good writing then just wait for Boku No Hero Academia.
                Some of them and their overreactions annoy me, though the little girl at the top was probably me when I was her age and watched the old series.
                The gr wrote:
                dbs fanboy wrote:I need to ask, who wrote this episode? Because i can't see Toshio or that writer from the Ft Trunks arc being being behind this.
                The same guy who is behind 119.
                He probably got tips from the man behind episode 106. Funny to say he's already the Yukihiro Kitano of Super writing with just two episodes.

perucho1990
                I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Yeah that little girl is part of the main demographic Toei targets, and as long as they are happy with the episodes, then Toei wont take heat.

It also proves that kids want to see more characters other than Goku to shine. :clap:

dnavenom
                Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 pm

LightBing wrote:
                dnavenom wrote:
                LightBing wrote: The thing is Vegeta's attack is the release of all your energy until you turn to dust, there's no getting stronger to survive the technique it's literal suicide.
                You can't excuse it like the Mãfuba or the Kaioken as something that had restrictions to be overcame.
                Well he didn`t release all energy it`s simple, plus perfected Ki control. Master Roshi doesn`t have a perfect Ki control and he did 3 Mafubas. What is there not to understand?
                If he didn't release all his energy then this isn't a Final Explosion. It's another type of attack, used by Vegeta in the Saiyan Arc, used by Piccolo in the 23rd TB, used by Majin Boo against Majin Vegeta... Also what the hell is perfect Ki and does it have to do with this or the Mafubas, it's not mentioned at all.

If people read the Boo Arc they'll understand that this attack is a suicide by concept, if you drain a human of it's blood they die, likewise in Dragon Ball if you drain a human of their Ki they are goners. That's the problem they decided to grab that use it for nostalgia and emotional weight, discarding it in the end because Vegeta was supposed to survive. Complete disregard for the meaning of such an attack and the original scene.

Honestly if people read the manga/watched the anime of said scene, they would know why this explanation is completely bogus. That's what I don't understand.
                So who said Vegeta drained all his KI? Did you see such a thing mentioned somewhere? Also if he really puts all of his energy behind the attack wouldn`t he most likely kill himself and Toppo? He just needed to exceed the hakai blast`s energy and put a bit more so he can knock out Toppo, not destroy him. Perfect KI control and beyond in Vegeta`s case is when you control your KI perfectly :) makes sense? In other word he releases exactly as much power to blow out Toppo, but still keeping him alive. It`s not that hard to pull. Actually the new forms are harder to explain than this. You find this strange and not the breaking trough the shell and going UI/Royal Blue not strange? Vegeta surviving this I can explain as you see, new forms I can not. I doubt anyone here can. It just happens.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:50 pm

TameImpala wrote:Bunch of Goku fanboy/crybabies in this forum. Finally someone other than Goku is getting some awesome screen time, and you guys just bitch about it.
                TheOtherDude wrote:Surely you don’t think people will value anything you have to say seeing as how you have such a blatant bias towards anything Vegeta related?
                supersaiyanZero wrote:I'm a HUGE Vegeta fan, and this episode was fucking GARBAGE. Anybody who says they enjoyed this episode should have their eyes gouged and ears filled with cement. The execution was piss poor on so many levels it's embarrassing to even call this charade dragonball anymore.
                A few cherry-picked examples of inappropriate ways to hold a discussion with your fellow forum members. Regardless of your feelings on these matters aand how you choose to present yourself outside this forum, you are expected to respect others' opinions and present yourself in a civil manner while participating within the Kanzenshuu community.

Account strikes are being issued against offending accounts. These add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website. All members of the community would probably benefit from a reviewing the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration.
                Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
                My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

The gr
                I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Torturephile wrote: He probably got tips from the man behind episode 106. Funny to say he's already the Yukihiro Kitano of Super writing with just two episodes.
                Well at least I felt something in this episode whereas as 119 I've felt nothing.
                Mostly active on discord.

Xehanort

Post by Xehanort » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

The issue some people here are having with Vegeta surviving is that they applied the same exact context to a move that is clearly not the same. The Final Explosion is characterized as a suicide move, it's completely irrelevant to Ki or resistance, the whole idea is use everything the fighter has to destroy his opponent and die as a consequence.

Vegeta survived, which means it's not the same attack but they still applied the same context (remembering family and friends, and that there's things at stake and he needs to do everything in his power to protect them) which resulted in a very contrived and poorly delivered scene/callback.
                "I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

Kinokima
                I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Xehanort wrote:The issue some people here are having with Vegeta surviving is that they applied the same exact context to a move that is clearly not the same. The Final Explosion is characterized as a suicide move, it's completely irrelevant to Ki or resistance, the whole idea is use everything the fighter has to destroy his opponent and die as a consequence.

Vegeta survived, which means it's not the same attack but they still applied the same context (remembering family and friends, and that there's things at stake and he needs to do everything in his power to protect them) which resulted in a very contrived and poorly delivered scene/callback.

In the Super Manga Vegeta also uses the technique and does not die http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Explosion

As I said before I think the point was Vegeta was not trying to sacrifice himself here. Yes that is what Piccolo thought Vegeta was trying to do but just because he used the same technique I don’t think Vegeta had any intention of killing himself and believed he was powerful enough to handle what he wanted to do with the technique (push Toppo off the stage)

Also the call back to when Vegeta says Bulma/Trunks/Bulla/Cabba is not equal to the call back in Final Atonement as people like to point out. There Vegeta clearly says Goodbye as though he knows his life is being thrown away. Here Vegeta clearly says I am not throwing anything away when thinking about them. It is the opposite he is holding onto life. It wouldn’t even make sense if Vegeta tried to kill himself. How could he keep his promise to Cabba then?

Even at the end when Vegeta says I am not dead yet there is no surprise in his voice it’s a statement of fact. I’m stil here! Vegeta showed Toppo you can survive and hold onto who you are. Vegeta sacrificing himself would actually negate what the episode was trying to say.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
                I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:18 pm

It seems that, no matter what, I'll always be in the minority around here.

Like Vegeta, I won't throw away my feelings and beliefs, because they're what I am and drive me.

chickensguys
                Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 pm

I don't get the hate about this episode. I thought it was in the top 25 percent of episodes for sure. We get a little more about Jiren's characters unveiled, he seems to have high expectations for this friends. Vegeta gets the limelight and actually accomplishes something. The explanation given for why the final explosion didn't kill him seemed perfectly adequate. You can square it however you like, he didn't go all out, he has gotten stronger and could control it better. The animation was quite good on the whole as well.

Jackalope89
                Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm

chickensguys wrote:I don't get the hate about this episode. I thought it was in the top 25 percent of episodes for sure. We get a little more about Jiren's characters unveiled, he seems to have high expectations for this friends. Vegeta gets the limelight and actually accomplishes something. The explanation given for why the final explosion didn't kill him seemed perfectly adequate. You can square it however you like, he didn't go all out, he has gotten stronger and could control it better. The animation was quite good on the whole as well.
                This is where I stand as well.

nato25
                Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
                chickensguys wrote:I don't get the hate about this episode. I thought it was in the top 25 percent of episodes for sure. We get a little more about Jiren's characters unveiled, he seems to have high expectations for this friends. Vegeta gets the limelight and actually accomplishes something. The explanation given for why the final explosion didn't kill him seemed perfectly adequate. You can square it however you like, he didn't go all out, he has gotten stronger and could control it better. The animation was quite good on the whole as well.
                This is where I stand as well.
                I like all the points you mentioned as well but the first half is what really killed it for me (one of the worst halfs of an episode ever in my opinion) and all the non new content like replaying the end of the last episode and the flashback.

Brettjr25
                Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm

dnavenom wrote:You know Goku has two sons :) right? Remind me where was he when they grew up? Let me give you some hints:
                A) dead - having fun in the afterlife
                B) on another planet - learning new techniques
                C)working the field while secretly training
                Was Gohan a better fighter, wile he was parented by Piccolo? Yes. Did his life in the city without a male parent made him a lazy bastard (I`m Gohan fan!) Yes. Goku trained Gohan for 1 year and he surpassed all Z warriors (Cell saga). Goku didn`t want to get resurrected after that, he decided to stay dead and have fun. Gohan lost his example and you know what became of him later. Is Goku a bad Father? Most likely so. Is Goku a bad husband? Yes. What is Goku`s motivation? Fighting. DB>DBZ>DBS no development! Same character forever. If you are not bored by this, I dunno what to say to you.

Goku made Gohan leader of the U7 team. We all knew Goku was the real leader. When did he leave Gohan decide what the team should do? Never. Did he try to help his son get some authority? He was the first to " go fight strong opponents" on his own.

Was Vegeta bad with future Trunks in the HBTChamber? He was. Was he ever bad with small Trunks? No. Did he kiss his wife :) ? Yes. That`s pretty important, otherwise the wife becomes like Chichi! Did he admit Goku was better in the end of Z? He did. Did he give up? He didn`t. Is he a better father and husband than Goku? Of course. Goten didn`t even know his father :) for some time.

What makes a human, human? Responsibilities, sacrifices, enduring the sometimes boring everyday life, family, goals, trying to better yourself wile doing everything else. Goku is a good fighter, but he`s bad in everything else that makes a human, human. Vegeta, Piccolo far better humans than him and way better characters.
                I have no stake in this argument but you really shouldn't cherry pick like this. You bring up everything bad about Goku in Z but ignore everything from Vegeta? If we're judging Goku and Vegeta now from their past actions you can't ignore that Vegeta was a rampant murderer, gave zero shits about Bulma and Trunks, which showed when was going to let both of them die in an explosion, pissing off his Future son, assaulted Future Trunks, hit his son out of anger after he managed to land a blow on him, and never held Trunks once in his entire life until he decided to bid the world farewell.

Sorry but I'd take Goku over that.

buutenks
                I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm

I agree the episode was weak compared to 125. It was lackluster. I am more interested in the NEP TBH. The NEP will also suck judging from the preview, but Jiren showing his true power is interesting.

Kinokima
                I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Not sure where he gets his statistics from (he posts them every week) but whereever he does Japanese fans actually enjoyed this episode more than last week’s

https://twitter.com/kenxyro/status/960205231907893248

Also this poll of 800 votes has majority liking it by a lot

https://twitter.com/govetaxv/status/960005201703743489

This doesn’t prove the episode is good or bad but it is definitely not universally hated as this thread will have you believe.