Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gohan123
Not-So-Newbie

Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Post by Gohan123 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Do you think DBS series will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as Protagonist during BoG-ToP ?

Let's make AU scenario about Gohan defeat Majin Buu , Vegeta get revive by Porunga and Goku still stay in after life ? How much BoG-ToP Saga change if Gohan or Vegeta as protagonist meanwhile Goku never appeared in BoG-Top saga ? Do you think DBS sale will better ?
Last edited by Gohan123 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Black Hawk
Regular

Re: If Gohan and Vegeta being main protagonist instead Goku ?

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 pm

I can't really say one way or the other whether Super as a whole would have been better with Gohan as the lead or the second, but I feel like the Tournament of Power, at least, would have been much better if Gohan had remained the number two man instead of having such great build-up only for Vegeta to receive out of nowhere what Gohan's story arc seemed to be building up to.

With regard to Vegeta perhaps being the number one man, I kind of look at it as a balance that makes it difficult for me to believe one way or the other: on one hand, Vegeta is often the most focused character, always striving to be the best and taking care of business, but, on the other hand, he tends to rush in without thinking at times and gets knocked on his posterior, though that motivates him to come back even stronger; it makes me wonder what things would be like if he got things right the first time after thinking them through, if that makes sense. I'm honestly unsure whether to think Vegeta would make a good lead or not.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 pm

I would be totally OK with Vegeta being the protagonist. His character is more deep than Goku and he is surely more interesting in general.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:07 pm

The problem with Super's story doesn't lie in the characters themselves, but the writers not being on the same page...with anything. Goku is the way he is in Super is because they each have their own idea on how he acts, and very few are willing to let him grow. They established a concept from the Tournament of Power that could very well develop Goku, but they literally forgot about it midway and no one really cared about the whole universe destruction deal. Changing main characters won't make a lick of difference if the writers are this wishy washy. All this could be solved if Toriyama was more involved and/or they had more time to write the darn episodes, but that's just how it is.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:15 pm

No because Goku was the reason this arc started and the only saiyan that didn't need a reason to fight.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Doesn't matter cause It still would be about Goku...

Vegeta: "I must train to defeat Kakarattoooooo!!!!"
Gohan: "This is how "Otōsan" did it!"

:lol:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

As a Gohan fan, I would love it. Like him or hate him, he did receive a good amount of narrational focus throughout Z beginning from when Toriyama took the time to give us some perspective on his efforts to be moulded into a warrior by Piccolo leading all the way up to the Cell Games and the expectations placed on his shoulders by everyone on Kaioshin's planet after the potential unlocking ritual. It was all botched but the groundwork was there.

Is it realistic for Gohan to become the protagonist? Probably not. Goku is too much of a staple for him to get phased out of the series. We could potentially see something like Future Trunks arc where someone else took the reigns for a short while with Goku still having a proactive role in the thick of it all. He's not going to get phased out, though. Vegeta is in the same situation. Although what separates him is a nigh inevitable guarantee to return for future DB related content. Gohan makes only the sporadic appearance here and there. You can at least say that Vegeta has been there to give his own contribution throughout Super.

GohanHiddenPowers

Post by GohanHiddenPowers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:19 am

Black Hawk wrote:I can't really say one way or the other whether Super as a whole would have been better with Gohan as the lead or the second, but I feel like the Tournament of Power, at least, would have been much better if Gohan had remained the number two man instead of having such great build-up only for Vegeta to receive out of nowhere what Gohan's story arc seemed to be building up to.

With regard to Vegeta perhaps being the number one man, I kind of look at it as a balance that makes it difficult for me to believe one way or the other: on one hand, Vegeta is often the most focused character, always striving to be the best and taking care of business, but, on the other hand, he tends to rush in without thinking at times and gets knocked on his posterior, though that motivates him to come back even stronger; it makes me wonder what things would be like if he got things right the first time after thinking them through, if that makes sense. I'm honestly unsure whether to think Vegeta would make a good lead or not.
This. And a spin-off would be more appropriate, with Vegeta as a kid, young saiyan, traveling the universe as soldier of Freeza's army, looking for planets to sell or give to Freeza. A movie, an ova, manga chapters, whatever. We could even connect the story with DBS, because we could even have Beerus, up to a point, since Vegeta has known of his existence since he was young.
Lionel wrote:As a Gohan fan, I would love it. Like him or hate him, he did receive a good amount of narrational focus throughout Z beginning from when Toriyama took the time to give us some perspective on his efforts to be moulded into a warrior by Piccolo leading all the way up to the Cell Games and the expectations placed on his shoulders by everyone on Kaioshin's planet after the potential unlocking ritual. It was all botched but the groundwork was there.

Is it realistic for Gohan to become the protagonist? Probably not. Goku is too much of a staple for him to get phased out of the series. We could potentially see something like Future Trunks arc where someone else took the reigns for a short while with Goku still having a proactive role in the thick of it all. He's not going to get phased out, though. Vegeta is in the same situation. Although what separates him is a nigh inevitable guarantee to return for future DB related content. Gohan makes only the sporadic appearance here and there. You can at least say that Vegeta has been there to give his own contribution throughout Super.
I would like to see more DBS or a future Dragon Ball series be called the Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta's show (we could add more characters to the show), than just Goku and Vegeta's show.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 am

I wouldn't say so, but if they were to replace Goku, Vegeta would be perfect for the role.

A series about Gohan wouldn't be a shonen, it would be a slice of life show, since Gohan isn't a character that continually wants to get stronger, his a genuine family man who only puts on the old gi in order to protect his family.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 am

I am really unhappy with what they did with Gohan for the majority of DBS. The writing has been all over the place with most things in DBS, but I feel like Gohan's character was hit especially hard. Though it was never specifically stated in the Buu Saga, common sense would make you think that Gohan had learned his lesson about slacking off. It's really bad for his character that they virtually had him revisit the same theme over and over again. We were already told that he was planning to get back in shape after ROF, why did he need another wake up call for the TOP?

It really feels like the writers are unwilling to move away from how DBZ, and specifically the Buu Saga, portrayed these characters and they need to reverse some of their growth in order to have them reattain the same 'development' only to they end up exactly where they were before.

Despite what happened in the Buu Saga, I still think that given the right story and ideas, Gohan would make a good protagonist. I'm not saying he should change his outlook on fighting, but that the whole "I fight to protect " thing he has going can be enticing if done right.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:38 am

No because I honestly think Super has done better handling Goku as a protagonist since DB. In GT he was an over-powered bore, in Z he was a reactive plot device. Some iffy characterisation aside, Super's done a good of making him intrinsic to the action.

I'm not gonna lie, I would have liked it if Gohan had taken a more active role as a secondary protagonist and stayed that way throughout the ToP, but Vegeta's worked well in that role(until he took over Gohan in the ToP). But I think as long as we have someone good for Goku to bounce off, him staying on as protagonist will remain fine.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:54 am

Goku has had too many great moments to replace him and is the main draw to the franchise but I think a Vegeta centric arc will happen some day in the future.

In terms of Gohan, he'll need a lot more build up to be considered for that as he just got back in to the game and we have no idea if he'll continue to take part in future events.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 am

Mercenary wrote:I would be totally OK with Vegeta being the protagonist. His character is more deep than Goku and he is surely more interesting in general.
More interesting to you. Thats fine. Its your opinion. In my opinion Goku is far more interesting. In fact I could even use stats to support my opinion, Goku is far more iconic and far more popular, so Goku is objectively more interesting to many more people

However stating "Vegeta is deeper" I would love to see you try and explain how Vegeta is deeper? And what does "deeper" even mean to you?

I see Goku as being deeper because he objectively displays a far wider range of emotions. Vegeta is very one dimentional and one note..."My pride/My Bulma/Arrrrrrr rage boost" Thats basically all of Vegeta in a nutshell right there

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Mercenary wrote:I would be totally OK with Vegeta being the protagonist. His character is more deep than Goku and he is surely more interesting in general.
More interesting to you. Thats fine. Its your opinion. In my opinion Goku is far more interesting. In fact I could even use stats to support my opinion, Goku is far more iconic and far more popular, so Goku is objectively more interesting to many more people

However stating "Vegeta is deeper" I would love to see you try and explain how Vegeta is deeper? And what does "deeper" even mean to you?

I see Goku as being deeper because he objectively displays a far wider range of emotions. Vegeta is very one dimentional and one note..."My pride/My Bulma/Arrrrrrr rage boost" Thats basically all of Vegeta in a nutshell right there

If you deny that Vegeta has the biggest character development in the series, then you are just blind Goku's fanboy and I refuse to elaborate. Discussing with biased guys makes no sense at all.

Ofc, you can dislike Vegeta but if you deny OBVIOUS things like his character development, then there's nothing we can talk about.

Gohan123
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gohan123 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 am

What about if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist during BoG-ToP ? Do you think DBS series will better if Gohan or Vegeta as Protagonist ?

Let's make AU scenario about Gohan defeat Majin Buu , Vegeta get revive by Porunga and Goku still stay in after life ? How much BoG-ToP Saga change if Gohan or Vegeta as protagonist meanwhile Goku never appeared in BoG-Top support character ? Do you think DBS sale will better ?

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Gohan123 wrote:What about if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist during BoG-ToP ? Do you think DBS series will better if Gohan or Vegeta as Protagonist ?

Let's make AU scenario about Gohan defeat Majin Buu , Vegeta get revive by Porunga and Goku still stay in after life ? How much BoG-ToP Saga change if Gohan or Vegeta as protagonist meanwhile Goku never appeared in BoG-Top support character ? Do you think DBS sale will better ?
In a situation like that, I think, since Toriyama had previously tried to make Gohan the lead protagonist, Gohan would once again be in that role as a second chance of sorts. I'd like to think that, this time, it would work and Gohan would become the effective hero he was originally meant to be. He's always had the most potential in more ways than one, after all.

With regard to sales, I'm kind of torn on which way to think. On one hand, without Gokū, interest in Dragon Ball might end up declining, since he pretty much is Dragon Ball; on the other hand, however, during the height of the Artificial Humans Arc, Gohan had become the most popular and adored character, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to become such again if done right.

Gohan123
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gohan123 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
Gohan123 wrote:What about if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist during BoG-ToP ? Do you think DBS series will better if Gohan or Vegeta as Protagonist ?

In a situation like that, I think, since Toriyama had previously tried to make Gohan the lead protagonist, Gohan would once again be in that role as a second chance of sorts. I'd like to think that, this time, it would work and Gohan would become the effective hero he was originally meant to be. He's always had the most potential in more ways than one, after all.

With regard to sales, I'm kind of torn on which way to think. On one hand, without Gokū, interest in Dragon Ball might end up declining, since he pretty much is Dragon Ball; on the other hand, however, during the height of the Artificial Humans Arc, Gohan had become the most popular and adored character, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to become such again if done right.
What about Vegeta replace Goku as DBS protagonist during BoG-ToP meanwhile Goku never appeared in DBS ? Do you think Vegeta can carry franchise by himself ?

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Gohan123 wrote:Do you think DBS series will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as Protagonist during BoG-ToP ?

Let's make AU scenario about Gohan defeat Majin Buu , Vegeta get revive by Porunga and Goku still stay in after life ? How much BoG-ToP Saga change if Gohan or Vegeta as protagonist meanwhile Goku never appeared in BoG-Top saga ? Do you think DBS sale will better ?
If Gohan replaced Goku i would just stop watching the anime. I would prefer even Ribrianne over Gohan, lol. Probably the Earth, or even the whole universe 7 would be erased because Gohan wouldn't train like Goku and Vegeta does, and Vegeta alone with Trunks wouldn't defeat Zamasu.

I'm a Vegeta fanboy, but i think that a Vegeta's protagonism would be reasonable only after ToP, not before. Most of character development he had was in Zamasu's arc and in the ToP itself - and for me, without the character development we saw, it would be weird to see him as the sole main character.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Kataphrut wrote:No because I honestly think Super has done better handling Goku as a protagonist since DB. In GT he was an over-powered bore, in Z he was a reactive plot device. Some iffy characterisation aside, Super's done a good of making him intrinsic to the action.

I'm not gonna lie, I would have liked it if Gohan had taken a more active role as a secondary protagonist and stayed that way throughout the ToP, but Vegeta's worked well in that role(until he took over Gohan in the ToP). But I think as long as we have someone good for Goku to bounce off, him staying on as protagonist will remain fine.
I wouldn't even say he was as bad in Super as some say. He was terrible in the first half of the FT Saga, but he's been overall fine for most of Super.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Gohan123 wrote:What about Vegeta replace Goku as DBS protagonist during BoG-ToP meanwhile Goku never appeared in DBS ? Do you think Vegeta can carry franchise by himself ?
I'm really unsure as to whether or not Vegeta would be able to maintain the lead role on his own; it's kind of ironic: he tends to think too much (which is why Ultra Instinct is so difficult for him) yet at the same time he has the tendency to rush into things without thinking. I feel like his ability to make the kinds of crucial decisions involved in the progression of the story may or may not be adequate, and it's really difficult to determine for me.

Now that I think about it, as cautious as he is, the Tournament of Power might not have happened, since he exhibited concern as to what Zen-chan is capable of; I believe he'd likely have heeded Beerus' warnings instead of asking about the tournament.