"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: We had multiple sources about kale and brianne too.
What was wrong about Kale and Brianne?
They were with jiren as characters you should watch out for.Even outside of magazines,Kamikaze fireballs were hyped by el grande padre and liquir.Remember the reactions of kale in her broly debut episode.
And they both had the most significant focus outside of Universes 11 and 7. People were losing their minds because Ribrianne got so much screen time, actually. Kale and Caulifla's tag team is even the second longest fight in the tournament outside of Goku vs Jiren. Then they got fed to Universe 7 just like every other non-Jiren character.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am

Hope Vegeta gets a great sendoff, he was huge this arc.

The last two arcs, really turned Vegeta in my favorite character ever

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: What was wrong about Kale and Brianne?
They were with jiren as characters you should watch out for.Even outside of magazines,Kamikaze fireballs were hyped by el grande padre and liquir.Remember the reactions of kale in her broly debut episode.
And they both had the most significant focus outside of Universes 11 and 7. People were losing their minds because Ribrianne got so much screen time, actually. Kale and Caulifla's tag team is even the second longest fight in the tournament outside of Goku vs Jiren. Then they got fed to Universe 7 just like every other non-Jiren character.
My point is that they were not even the top ten strongest characters,hell not even top twenty.Both ribrianne and kale stayed just cause PIS,there were multiple instances where they should have been eliminated.Their inclusion was forced,they did not stay because of plot or story just because the writers wanted them to stay.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: They were with jiren as characters you should watch out for.Even outside of magazines,Kamikaze fireballs were hyped by el grande padre and liquir.Remember the reactions of kale in her broly debut episode.
My point is that they were not even the top ten strongest characters,hell not even top twenty.Both ribrianne and kale stayed just cause PIS,there were multiple instances where they should have been eliminated.Their inclusion was forced,they did not stay because of plot or story just because the writers wanted them to stay.
Yeah they might not have gone as far as fans of theirs were hoping for but in character development they had a pretty grand showing.

So in a way, not as big as we hoped, still in a nice way we got the hype that was promised.

In my opinion these developments left them in good character positions for the next series of Toei chooses to push forward with them. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: They were with jiren as characters you should watch out for.Even outside of magazines,Kamikaze fireballs were hyped by el grande padre and liquir.Remember the reactions of kale in her broly debut episode.
The writers are the ones who create the plot and story, so... :eh:

I don't know if you've noticed this but virtually none of the people in this tournament have been allowed to accomplish anything that would "justify" their inclusion based on the numbers game everyone seems so focused on. Universe 7 has over 60 eliminations of the 80 fighters, including one of their own, and not a single one of their fighters has been eliminated by being overpowered in head-to-head combat. It is always a self-sacrifice or a cheap shot while their guard is down. 17 will be the first apparently. Jiren's the ultimate foe of the arc and the most he's accomplished is knocking out Hit and Maji-Kayo. The most he can do is 5 if he takes out 17, Frieza and Vegeta.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: And they both had the most significant focus outside of Universes 11 and 7. People were losing their minds because Ribrianne got so much screen time, actually. Kale and Caulifla's tag team is even the second longest fight in the tournament outside of Goku vs Jiren. Then they got fed to Universe 7 just like every other non-Jiren character.

I don't know if you've noticed this but virtually none of the people in this tournament have been allowed to accomplish anything that would "justify" their inclusion based on the numbers game everyone seems so focused on. Universe 7 has over 60 eliminations of the 80 fighters, including one of their own, and not a single one of their fighters has been eliminated by being overpowered in head-to-head combat. It is always a self-sacrifice or a cheap shot while their guard is down. 17 will be the first apparently. Jiren's the ultimate foe of the arc and the most he's accomplished is knocking out Hit and Maji-Kayo. The most he can do is 5 if he takes out 17, Frieza and Vegeta.
This arc has glaring issues I should have mentioned it in my post.But,one bad thing does not justify another one.
@CJB striker
They had relatively good showings which isn't saying much especially if we include blunders of this arc
Last edited by Hawk9211 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:29 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: My point is that they were not even the top ten strongest characters,hell not even top twenty.Both ribrianne and kale stayed just cause PIS,there were multiple instances where they should have been eliminated.Their inclusion was forced,they did not stay because of plot or story just because the writers wanted them to stay.

This arc has glaring issues I should have mentioned it in my post.But,one bad thing does not justify another one.
It's not one bad thing justifying another, it's all part of the same issue. The tournament props up opponent characters to make Universe 7 look good.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: The writers are the ones who create the plot and story, so... :eh:

It's not one bad thing justifying another, it's all part of the same issue. The tournament props up opponent characters to make Universe 7 look good.
Still man, they could have made them as strong as god level which half of the cast with piccolo debatedly could have dealt with.But,my point about both of them being incorrectly hyped still stands.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Toppo should move to U4 after this arc is over.

Both were shafted badly by the same writer.

I bet the manga will treat both of them better, as it already did with Toppo and Quitela.

Can't wait to see Damon and Gamisaras kick ass, maybe even Shantza will be relevant.

Very disappointed the finale is the same thing we've been seeing on the Opening since a year. Another Goku vs Jiren, how creative...

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Toppo wasn't really treated any better in the manga save for not always talking about justice. though, that's part of his thing and it adds to the shift he takes when goes GoD.

By the way, yes, if you call Super heavily flawed or whatever you wanna say, then you have concede the original DB is just as flawed and has the same issues. It's either that or they're both fine.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:46 pm

I can understand not liking it but it was pretty obvious Goku vs Jiren was going to be the finale. Really wasn't even a chance of anything else tbh.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:Toppo wasn't really treated any better in the manga save for not always talking about justice. though, that's part of his thing and it adds to the shift he takes when goes GoD.
Exactly, in terms of Toppo’s case, I really don’t see how he’s been treated better in the manga.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Xeogran wrote:Toppo should move to U4 after this arc is over.

Both were shafted badly by the same writer.

I bet the manga will treat both of them better, as it already did with Toppo and Quitela.

Can't wait to see Damon and Gamisaras kick ass, maybe even Shantza will be relevant.

Very disappointed the finale is the same thing we've been seeing on the Opening since a year. Another Goku vs Jiren, how creative...
I am sure Toyotaro will make sure a great and important character like Shantza will be relevant!He will be a Sleeper Hit for sure! :thumbup:

You mean the arc that has been building up Goku and Jiren as the final fight is gonna have the final fight be between Goku and Jiren?No way.
Michsi wrote:
"Toriyama wanted that" could be applied to absolutely everything, but there's usually more to it than that. He says he picks what's fun, but given that he mentioned popularity so many times in his interviews I'd say it's a pretty important factor.
17 and Roshi were not popular characters,so most likely no.
Last edited by Whatever on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 pm

I'm only excited about this Jiren VS UI Goku fight for production reasons. As the final boss battle of Super and the conclusion to this very long arc, I'm expecting sick animation, maybe even the best in the entirety of Super and hype af song playing during the climax of the battle. Please Toei, don't fuck this up, at least end it properly.

But yeah, Jiren is not interesting and the outcome is predictable so I can totally understand why some people would want to skip their fight.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Nero<>Akira wrote:Toppo wasn't really treated any better in the manga save for not always talking about justice. though, that's part of his thing and it adds to the shift he takes when goes GoD.
Exactly, in terms of Toppo’s case, I really don’t see how he’s been treated better in the manga.
Some really hated his 'justice' talk, but it actually served the purpose of showing how he abandoned his ideals for power and Vegeta calling him out on it. It also kind of like Vegeta mocking himself since he did the same thing when he became a Majin and he hated himself for it.
Jigurashi wrote:I can understand not liking it but it was pretty obvious Goku vs Jiren was going to be the finale. Really wasn't even a chance of anything else tbh.
Some fans really wanted a twist, despite Goku vs. Jiren being in the freaking intro. So it's weird that people are mad because it's 'predictable'. Well no shit it's predictable, Goku vs. Jiren is 1/3 of the into. It wasn't like Toei was trying to tell us anything else unlike the bait and switch they pulled with Freeza. And this is like complaining that Goku making it to the semi-finals in the tournament of Dragon Ball was 'predictable' so it was boring.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Benedetto12 wrote:Hope Vegeta gets a great sendoff, he was huge this arc.

The last two arcs, really turned Vegeta in my favorite character ever
This is his "cool moment" episode, so that means he's gonna get the Kid Buu treatment (getting his ass beat mercilessly) while spitting off some fancy one liners.

Predictable is predictable. Hope I'm wrong though.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:53 pm

HeroR wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
Some really hated his 'justice' talk, but it actually served the purpose of showing how he abandoned his ideals for power and Vegeta calling him out on it. It also kind of like Vegeta mocking himself since he did the same thing when he became a Majin and he hated himself for it.
Jigurashi wrote:I can understand not liking it but it was pretty obvious Goku vs Jiren was going to be the finale. Really wasn't even a chance of anything else tbh.
Some fans really wanted a twist, despite Goku vs. Jiren being in the freaking intro. So it's weird that people are mad because it's 'predictable'. Well no shit it's predictable, Goku vs. Jiren is 1/3 of the into. It wasn't like Toei was trying to tell us anything else unlike the bait and switch they pulled with Freeza. And this is like complaining that Goku making it to the semi-finals in the tournament of Dragon Ball was 'predictable' so it was boring.
And it's not like Toppo was spouting JUSTICE all the time. We saw in Episode 96 and multiple instances during the tournament that he could be sober, serious and down-to-Earth when he wasn't doing his Pride Trooper schtick.

I'm kinda puzled by the Jiren thing too. I was not keen on the idea back during the "Goku's Out of Stamina" stretch but it was really obvious that's what they've been building toward. I was hoping it wouldn't be as cut and dry as just Goku vs Jiren but with the show ending an episode or two after I'm not at all surprised that that's what it seems to be.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:11 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote: Exactly, in terms of Toppo’s case, I really don’t see how he’s been treated better in the manga.
And it's not like Toppo was spouting JUSTICE all the time. We saw in Episode 96 and multiple instances during the tournament that he could be sober, serious and down-to-Earth when he wasn't doing his Pride Trooper schtick.

I'm kinda puzled by the Jiren thing too. I was not keen on the idea back during the "Goku's Out of Stamina" stretch but it was really obvious that's what they've been building toward. I was hoping it wouldn't be as cut and dry as just Goku vs Jiren but with the show ending an episode or two after I'm not at all surprised that that's what it seems to be.
Toppo is honestly very level-headed. It was only really 102 with U2 that he showed his quirk.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Who honestly didn't expect Goku and Jiren in the finals? It was practically set up since the very beginning. If it wasn't I'd be disappointed.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Who honestly didn't expect Goku and Jiren in the finals? It was practically set up since the very beginning. If it wasn't I'd be disappointed.
I mean it is in the intro.