"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Hope they release a full version of "Ultimate Battle", this insert song is epic that give me chills everytime I hear
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I, for one, am pretty excited to see the final battle between Goku and Jiren.

I only wish the Ultra Instinct portion of the fight would last an episode longer than it purportedly is.

I'm kind of sour on DBS as a whole so all I really need is for an enjoyable fight to conclude the series. I just hope the ending isn't a "reset" of all the universes coming back.
Well, if they pull a Future Trunks and wrap the series up in the second half of 131, Goku vs Jiren could last 2 1/2 episodes. It's a little unclear if he's going to go UI at the tail end of 128 or some time in 129.
That's a good point and a part of he hopes that it does. But then it'll take up time from any actual wrap-up to the series... which another part of me would prioritize.
I feel like the fight should have started earlier and have ended midway through 130 so we get a good episode and a half of wrap-up.

So I think it ultimately comes down to whether people want a longer fight or more time for an actual series finale.

But at this point, I know it isn't good of me to expect both so O've decided that I'd rather see more of an enjoyable fight seeing as how I'm not really into the story of Super as I was for original DB.
I think I'd take a swift and violent two episode fight and one episode of wrap-up vs a longer fight and a shorter conclusion. An extended fight would be cool to watch but I feel like an actual conclusion needs a little more weight than that does. And it's not like we don't know what the outcome of that fight is going to be. :P

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:08 pm

GT final battle ended the episode before the final one, so DBS ToP should also end in the episode before the last one imo. Jiren isnt surviving past episode 130.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:"Episode 128: With Noble Pride to the End! Vegeta Falls!!"

Here we go again. The prince will talk about his pride again, won't he?! :roll:
He will have another Final flash,Tsundere and a nakama moment again :thumbup:
    I really wish they give Vegeta a new technique,Gamma Burst Flash sounds cool.
    I'd prefer a unique technique over yet another generic ki blast

Totamo
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:12 pm

HeroR wrote:
    OverHeaven wrote:
    emperior wrote: What's wrong with it? This is not the first time it happens.
    Tenshinan was immediately introduced as the main foe at the 22nd Budokai, the we also had King Piccolo who was revealed since the beginning as the villain of the arc, and the same happened at the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi.
    And on Namek it was always clear that Freeza was the main villain. Only the Androids arc had its turn of events where it went from 20 and 19, to 18 and 17 and then to Cell and we know that it happened because of Toriyama's editors. Buu arc always presented Buu as the final villain and even though he changed forms it was still always Buu the villain and nobody else.

This arc's main problem is that Jiren isn't a interesting antagonist and the episodic format makes every episode feel disconnected.
    I also said "villains which were not the final antagonist, but were the main threat for a decent number of episodes" or "unique multiple transformations for the final villain". I didn't claim all past Dragon Ball arcs were like that, it's not a problem in itself but not when the whole series is like this! The best they did was merged Zamasu and even that wasn't that interesting.

And before you talk about Toppo and the others besides Jiren, all warriors besides Kefla were given one or two episodes at most and you can tell they were treated like some nuisances in the way and should be disposed of as soon as possible. Never possessed a real threat, just fake and forced.
    So basically like the androids outside of Cell? And Super had antagonists that were a different style than Z starting with Beerus. Champa was the main force of his arc, the characters just never fought him. Hit was the dragon. And there was Black and Zamasu long before Merged Zamasu.
    Totamo wrote:
    emperior wrote: What's wrong with it? This is not the first time it happens.
    Tenshinan was immediately introduced as the main foe at the 22nd Budokai, the we also had King Piccolo who was revealed since the beginning as the villain of the arc, and the same happened at the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi.
    And on Namek it was always clear that Freeza was the main villain. Only the Androids arc had its turn of events where it went from 20 and 19, to 18 and 17 and then to Cell and we know that it happened because of Toriyama's editors. Buu arc always presented Buu as the final villain and even though he changed forms it was still always Buu the villain and nobody else.

This arc's main problem is that Jiren isn't a interesting antagonist and the episodic format makes every episode feel disconnected.
    episodic formats can be connected, ask avatar the last airbender.

This arc's main problem is that it promised too much and it didn't live up to expectations.Which does include Jiren being an antagonist.
    Not really true since a lot of those promises were met, just not in the way fans wanted or fans looking at things that weren’t really there to begin with like most of everything with U4.
    Thats what not meeting expectations mean, don't play semantics with me.

Fans wanted things to happen in a certain and it didn't. Now, they are angry and you can't blame them for that when the show said this but did that.

alakazam^
    I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Totamo wrote:Fans wanted things to happen in a certain and it didn't. Now, they are angry and you can't blame them for that when the show said this but did that.
    What didn't the show deliver it said it would?

In case anyone was wondering, there's no anime series scheduled until June, at least.

TheOtherDude
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
    Totamo wrote:Fans wanted things to happen in a certain and it didn't. Now, they are angry and you can't blame them for that when the show said this but did that.

In case anyone was wondering, there's no anime series scheduled until June, at least.
    What is this?

GohanHiddenPowers

Post by GohanHiddenPowers » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
    HeroR wrote:
    Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Finally someone with some lick of sense! Gohan said he wants to achieve power differently than Goku and it's not the shows fault that people took that to mean Gohan is getting a new form! And we are stuck with "Vegeta is getting everything Gohan was promised" BS.
    I always read Gohan’s statement as something to work forward in the future. I never saw it as him getting a new form, especially since Gohan got a massive jump before the tourument.
    I saw it as that, a handwave to explain why they didn't go the Super Saiyan God ritual on him before the tournament or give him God Ki, and as a way to at least try and set him on his own path so he's not stuck just being a diet Goku. But then that stupid Gohan Blanco meme took off.
    [spoiler]Image
    Image[/spoiler]

There are other moments to discuss before this moment (the last time Gohan and Goku fought like they fought in DBS Ep 90, was when they trained in the RoSaT). Like Vegeta talking about Gohan's potential being the greatest of all, before the universe 6 tournament. And this "Gohan meme", is as "stupid" as Dragon Ball AF, or any other fan-made job, ranging from fanarts and videos with Goku/Vegeta/Gohan Super Saiyan 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, to fusions. Well, we have a game called DB Fusions. We have a game called DB Heroes with crazy storylines and transformations. Between all this, Gohan fans who want to see some new transformation, according to the new concepts of power and ki set in super, do not sound so crazy. It's simple, Gohan is not as lucky as Vegeta now, someone who is being graced with fanservice, getting power ups out of nowhere just because, something that was never a character's trait of his, but Gohan's... everything that's happening with Vegeta sounds like the producers trying to pursue this "rivalry" trope like there's no tomorrow.
    GamerSkull wrote:I, for one, am pretty excited to see the final battle between Goku and Jiren.

I only wish the Ultra Instinct portion of the fight would last an episode longer than it purportedly is.

I'm kind of sour on DBS as a whole so all I really need is for an enjoyable fight to conclude the series. I just hope the ending isn't a "reset" of all the universes coming back.
    OverHeaven wrote:Remember when Dragon Ball arcs had so many turns and twists, villains which were not the final antagonist, but were the main threat for a decent number of episodes, and even unique multiple transformations for the final villain? None of that is present here.

Before Frieza we had Zarbon and Dodoria, then the Ginyuu Force, and Frieza himself had 3 unique transformations.
    Before Cell, Gero and 19, then 18&17&16 and of course Cell with 2 unique transformations.
    Before Kid Buu. Babidi with his multiple Majin warriors and Dabura, Majin Vegeta, Fat Buu, Super Buu > Buutenks > Buuhan.
    My thoughts exactly. Add to this, if we are talking about the anime only, wonderful soundtracks, background musics, some of these by Hironobu Kageyama, in the episodes, movies, ovas, etc. Even Dragon Ball with its 153 episodes, just few more than Super, had more of these memorable moments involving the characters, their arcs, and the very production of the franchise as a whole.We can only hope to see the franchise doing justice with Goku, Goha, Vegeta, and the villains, wherever it is, in the new movie about the origin of the Saiyans, ovas, with a new series in the future. They can when they want to show why DB franchise and it's characters is worldwide appreciated.

Nero<>Akira
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 am

TheOtherDude wrote:
    alakazam^ wrote:

What is this?
    Dragon Ball Heroes stuff. Just read the katakana.
    Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 am

Nero<>Akira wrote:
    And for people who cant read Japanese? What did alakazam mean by a new series in June at the earliest?

Kenneth La Torre
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 am

So with freeza being in till the end, it means that even with a Mastered UI, goku still isn’t enough to take down jiren alone, or It’s going to be a double elimination, and freeza is going to be the last man standing. Either way, it would make sense for goku to not outright overpower jiren do to the fact that the dude is above a god of destruction.

GodVegetto91
    Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:35 am

So we have not 1 but 2 breaks in the coming weeks.. And here i already had an incredibly tough time waiting 7 days every single week for a new episode! This is... Infuriating!!

But what can i do? Nothing.

At this point i really wish i could use Trunks’s Time Machine or Black’s Time Ring to travel to the future!

Because i can’t wait for my boy Goku to re-attain and finally MASTER Ultra Instinct!!!

All these breaks are TOTALLY UNNECCESARY!

Nero<>Akira
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
    Nero<>Akira wrote:
    And for people who cant read Japanese? What did alakazam mean by a new series in June at the earliest?
    Sorry. i meant that i read the katakana. And they're wrong. they just saw animated promos and assumed an anime was coming when below that promo it just says Super Dragon Ball Heroes.
    Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Sandubadear
    I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:What did alakazam mean by a new series in June at the earliest?
    He didn't mean that. He meant that it's confirmed that there will be no new series by June (start of a new cour).
    "The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
    --by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
    Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Liquir
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 am

DBS Episode 128 Preview Image
    [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Mercenary
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:26 am

Liquir wrote:DBS Episode 128 Preview Image
    [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    [spoiler]Wow....In base? Holy sh...that's impressive.[/spoiler]

Lionel
    I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    [spoiler]Good for Vegeta that he can still muster up any kind of resistance. It's silly and contrived, if you ask me, but I guess the storyboard for this episode needs to give the non-Goku members of Team U7 who are still in an opportunity to have a respectable go at the main enemy before inevitably getting eliminated.[/spoiler]

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Damn Vegeta, look at them little man muscles..
    He is about to go attack in base, impressive and reckless at the same time, classic Vegeta
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Sandubadear
    I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 am

Inb4: people complaining that he is in base and saving Goku time just like the Buu arc, and they should stop with the callbacks.
    "The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
    --by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
    Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Mercenary
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:So we have not 1 but 2 breaks in the coming weeks.. And here i already had an incredibly tough time waiting 7 days every single week for a new episode! This is... Infuriating!!

But what can i do? Nothing.

At this point i really wish i could use Trunks’s Time Machine or Black’s Time Ring to travel to the future!

Because i can’t wait for my boy Goku to re-attain and finally MASTER Ultra Instinct!!!

All these breaks are TOTALLY UNNECCESARY!
    One break it's cool but two breaks? That's definitely too much...