Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by majinwarman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:10 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:Well, it looks like Toshio will be writing EP 128 and Yamamuro will be back in an episode of Vegeta. I hope it means something good.

Do users here consider Toshio a good writer?
I do not remember exactly what episodes he wrote in this tournament, but I know he wrote EP 104, which was a very good episode.
He also wrote episode 112 which was about Cabba.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 am

Bizzare staff list. So I guess 130 is gonna be the final battle of the TOP and all of the heavy hitters will show up (Shida, Tate, possibly Takahashi again?) I'm also confident that Nii and Nashizawa will provide amazing animation for the penultimate battle.

Also spoilers:

[spoiler]According to leaks 128 is gonna be the debut of Mastered Ultra Instinct, there's no doubt in my mind that Yamamuro will handle Goku's transformation. This theory is also supported by the fact that he's doing the storyboard as well. I hope his animation skills have improved just like his storyboarding skills.[/spoiler]

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 am

DainIronfoot wrote:Preliminary image from episode 128. Looks like Vegeta gonna get a black eye or something.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This looks so good! I'm happy to see some real battle damage, that left eye looks like a lot of pain.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:55 pm

I would rather blood, but a black eye is a good compromise.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:Random question.
Who were the writers for pre tornament episodes(U9) and roshi episodes?
You mean the Zen Exhibition Match?
79 (Boo-Basil), 80 (Gohan-Lavenda) and 81 (Goku-Bergamo) were written by Atsuhiro Tomioka
82 (Goku-Toppo) was written by Toshio Yoshitaka

I believe you mean 105 and 107 by "Roshi episodes" so:
105 was written by King Ryu (last episode of him)
107 was written by Toshio Yoshitaka

If you wanna know something else, feel free to ask or check here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/super/main/

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
79 (Boo-Basil), 80 (Gohan-Lavenda) and 81 (Goku-Bergamo) were written by Atsuhiro Tomioka

If you wanna know something else, feel free to ask or check here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/super/main/
Toshio, Tomioka and King Ryu are the best writers, they should have written every episode to be honest. Hopefully if Dragon Ball comes back they will be the only writers.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:42 pm

emperior wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:

Toshio, Tomioka and King Ryu are the best writers, they should have written every episode to be honest. Hopefully if Dragon Ball comes back they will be the only writers.
Ryu is more hit and miss for me, he does interactions well but his fighting episodes on the whole haven't been great I don't think he writes action well and he did #100...

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:
Psykomatik wrote: You mean the Zen Exhibition Match?

Ryu is more hit and miss for me, he does interactions well but his fighting episodes on the whole haven't been great I don't think he writes action well and he did #100...
You didn't like episode 11 to 14? Episode 21? Episode 39? Episode 56? Episode 90? Episode 95? I loved them all tbh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote: Toshio, Tomioka and King Ryu are the best writers, they should have written every episode to be honest. Hopefully if Dragon Ball comes back they will be the only writers.
You didn't like episode 11 to 14? Episode 21? Episode 39? Episode 56? Episode 90? Episode 95? I loved them all tbh.
#11 was good, but then I found #12-14 be not as strong with #12 being pretty awful as nothing happened for 20 mins. #39 was okay but nowhere near as engaging as #38. #56 was a good episode but there wasn't much action in that episode, it was all about interaction which he excels at. #90 and #95 were definitely a surprise for me as they pretty action focused and it was done very well and then he went and gave is #100...

So yeah very hit and miss in my opinion but episodes like #56 I think are right up his ally.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Ideally, I really do wish Tomioka Atsuhiro had been more involved, but I imagine the idea was for the various characters to be given various different feels by using various different writers. The problem with that, of course, is that it creates an unfocused narrative structure. The unwieldy length of the series is going to inevitably hurt the scripts, which means that episodes will have to rely on more than mere scripting to be good. A series like Dragon Ball Super--however--is unable to meet that demand because of its bad production schedule and lack of talented animators and episode directors. The strength of the production as a whole would've benefited so much from a more tactical approach to directing. I'm really quite disappointed with how the series has fared despite the few good staff members available to it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Ideally, I really do wish Tomioka Atsuhiro had been more involved, but I imagine the idea was for the various characters to be given various different feels by using various different writers. The problem with that, of course, is that it creates an unfocused narrative structure. The unwieldy length of the series is going to inevitably hurt the scripts, which means that episodes will have to rely on more than mere scripting to be good. A series like Dragon Ball Super--however--is unable to meet that demand because of its bad production schedule and lack of talented animators and episode directors. The strength of the production as a whole would've benefited so much from a more tactical approach to directing. I'm really quite disappointed with how the series has fared despite the few good staff members available to it.
I mean, he's been involved with majority of the FT arc, and he's written pretty much all the "major" episodes of the arc so far. He's like the big guy for the writing of Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 am

Is he still writing for Pokémon? Apparently he writes for OP too so that could explain why isn't doing the majority of this arc like he did the first 8 episodes incl the previous Krillin mini arc and just the important episodes.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 am

I am not too knowlegeable on all this process.But,I would imagine that you can't put all the blame on writer,the director and producer will influence it a lot too,right?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Is he still writing for Pokémon? Apparently he writes for OP too so that could explain why isn't doing the majority of this arc like he did the first 8 episodes incl the previous Krillin mini arc and just the important episodes.
He still writes for Pokemon. Tomioka is incredibly fast and typically writes for multiple projects all at once.
Hawk9211 wrote:I am not too knowlegeable on all this process.But,I would imagine that you can't put all the blame on writer,the director and producer will influence it a lot too,right?
Yeah.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm

https://imgur.com/a/0QckT

Did Yamamuro design these? (2008 special designs)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:52 pm

emperior wrote:https://imgur.com/a/0QckT

Did Yamamuro design these? (2008 special designs)
Yes and no. A huge portion are reused from the Boo arc and are by Nakatsuru. All of the new ones like Mr Satan, Videl, and Goku are by Yamamuro. Some of them are hybrids, where the clothes are Yamamuro, but heads are Nakatsuru.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:16 pm

emperior wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Preliminary image from episode 128. Looks like Vegeta gonna get a black eye or something.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This looks so good! I'm happy to see some real battle damage, that left eye looks like a lot of pain.
I just hope that Vegeta has a good and well-written farewell from the tournament.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Episode 127

Animation Supervisors
Paul Ano-nuevo
Masahiro Shimanuki
Hiroyuki Itai

Key Animators
Toei Phils

Naoki Tate
Futoshi Higashide
Kazumi Oda
Yoshitaka Kato
Shuntaro Mura
Masahiro Shimanuki
Nomi Tomechisa
Hiroyuki Itai
Tu Yong-ce
Miyuki Yokoyama
Tomokazu Gunji

-

Thoroughly enjoyed it. First half from Toei Phils was a little weak, but Higashide helped throw in some decent animation, while Ide and Yamamuro touched up the art.

The second half was wonderful. Naoki Tate coming in out of nowhere with a fantastic little scene, and Higashide continuing to do great work.

Surprised by how little Shimanuki contributed in comparison to Itai, though. Itai's had no time at all for this episode, yet it felt like he was the star supervisor by a mile.

Solid storyboard. Imamura impressed me direction-wise. Very few complaints, honestly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 127

Animation Supervisors
Paul Ano-nuevo
Masahiro Shimanuki
Hiroyuki Itai

Key Animators
Toei Phils

Naoki Tate
Futoshi Higashide
Kazumi Oda
Yoshitaka Kato
Shuntaro Mura
Masahiro Shimanuki
Nomi Tomechisa
Hiroyuki Itai
Tu Yong-ce
Miyuki Yokoyama
Tomokazu Gunji

-

Thoroughly enjoyed it. First half from Toei Phils was a little weak, but Higashide helped throw in some decent animation, while Ide and Yamamuro touched up the art.

The second half was wonderful. Naoki Tate coming in out of nowhere with a fantastic little scene, and Higashide continuing to do great work.
Surprised by how little Shimanuki contributed in comparison to Itai, though. Itai's had no time at all for this episode, yet it felt like he was the star supervisor by a mile.

Solid storyboard. Imamura impressed me direction-wise. Very few complaints, honestly.
Which one was Tate's? There were some really creative three-way attacks in the second half.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote: Which one was Tate's? There were some really creative three-way attacks in the second half.
Pretty sure it was the Freeza stuff.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW