"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Grimlock wrote:Child Jiren! :lol: Hopefully this means he'll get some character development and, what every character should have... PERSONALITY.

And Jiren does has a personality.

Seriously, what's up with fans thinking dry and stoic isn't a personalty trait?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:17 pm

HeroR wrote: Seriously, what's up with fans thinking dry and stoic isn't a personalty trait?
Exactly, boring or dull is the better word to use,no personality is just silly.
Mostly active on discord.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:25 pm

isnt being , alittle bit arogant and straight to the point/no unnecessary talking a personality?
he talks when its necessary.
wether you like it or not is 100% your opinion.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:27 pm

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote: Seriously, what's up with fans thinking dry and stoic isn't a personalty trait?
Exactly, boring or dull is the better word to use,no personality is just silly.
Honestly, I find Jiren's dry approached more interesting than most of the more lively characters.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Tsufuru wrote:isnt being , alittle bit arogant and straight to the point/no unnecessary talking a personality?
It is. He's got a shallow character but he does have a personality. But I guess saying he doesn't have one is easier even though it isn't accurate at all

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Tsufuru wrote:isnt being , alittle bit arogant and straight to the point/no unnecessary talking a personality?
It is. He's got a shallow character but he does have a personality. But I guess saying he doesn't have one is easier even though it isn't accurate at all
but that doesnt make sense and makes you look stupid.
the first scene of Jiren doing something/talking made clear what kind of character he is.
it was a clear personality threat.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Jigurashi wrote:

A Guy who talks less is shallow character? Dear lord you must have real talkative friend IRL

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Tsufuru wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
the first scene of Jiren doing something/talking made clear what kind of character he is.
Not disagreeing with you there. But I guess to some being stoic or reserved aren't personality traits. People are free to dislike him but as someone said, if you don't like him boring or dull would make sense, but saying he doesn't have a personality does not as that isn't accurate

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:Probably will be a minute at most but anything will be better. Actually getting some info on his past is so surprising given this is DB.
In DB I think King Piccolo, Cell and Buu were the only ones we got any actual backstory on, at least while they were villains. And even then it was rather vauge aside from a key event or two.

We got the whole Zamasu turning Evil in Super. What are u talking about?
Tat doesn't really count as backstory... I think. It was something that was happening as the story progressed, not in the past... I think. Fucking time travel.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Tsufuru wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: It is. He's got a shallow character but he does have a personality. But I guess saying he doesn't have one is easier even though it isn't accurate at all
Not disagreeing with you there. But I guess to some being stoic or reserved aren't personality traits. People are free to dislike him but as someone said, if you don't like him boring or dull would make sense, but saying he doesn't have a personality does not as that isn't accurate
tbh, it fits him they way he is now.
his designe keeps growing on me with each move and sentence.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Kanassa wrote: In DB I think King Piccolo, Cell and Buu were the only ones we got any actual backstory on, at least while they were villains. And even then it was rather vauge aside from a key event or two.

We got the whole Zamasu turning Evil in Super. What are u talking about?
Tat doesn't really count as backstory... I think. It was something that was happening as the story progressed, not in the past... I think. Fucking time travel.
That WAS backstory. Zamasu's transformation was Goku Black's backstory. Since he was an enemy from the future, we got to see his backstory in real time.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Nah, this is not Naruto. Pretty sure that is not a real flashback, just 1 minute of narration.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Wow Baby Jiren is so cute

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Legion wrote:Nah, this is not Naruto. Pretty sure that is not a real flashback, just 1 minute of narration.
It's still a flashback regardless of length. A flashback doesn't need to be Naruto or One Piece's length to be 'real'. Heck, Zoro in the manga has flashback that was summed up in five panels.
Kanassa wrote:

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 pm

HeroR wrote:
Legion wrote:Nah, this is not Naruto. Pretty sure that is not a real flashback, just 1 minute of narration.
It's still a flashback regardless of length. A flashback doesn't need to be Naruto or One Piece's length to be 'real'. Heck, Zoro in the manga has flashback that was summed up in five panels.
We'll see in the episode, simple.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Legion wrote:
HeroR wrote:
We'll see in the episode, simple.
That wasn't my point. My point was that it is a fallback, even if the scene is only a few seconds and one picture.
Kanassa wrote:

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Jiren may be a dull character, however I prefer him a thousand times, than Ribrianne with her love love love talk.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 pm

pacz360 wrote:Let's look in this thread what been said
Boring
No personality
Honestly at this point nothing but pointless buzzwords from this fucking fanbase :lol:
What are you getting mad over? They’re legitimate complaints

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Let's look in this thread what been said
Boring
No personality
Honestly at this point nothing but pointless buzzwords from this fucking fanbase :lol:
What are you getting mad over? They’re legitimate complaints
I will agree that he is overreacting however can anyone please explain me Jiren=No personality,i really want an explanation for this.
Mostly active on discord.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:24 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Michsi wrote:Nobody wants him to be boring, I'd be more than happy if his backstory gave him an extra layer. As he is now, he is just super strong with a pinch of arrogance thrown in, and well, there's just nothing interesting about that character wise.
I may get the boring personality talk but let's be real here everybody 99% of tournament participants personality are bland as shit even if it was more then big J got
That may be true, but that doesn't make Jiren's case any better.
The gr wrote: I will agree that he is overreacting however can anyone please explain me Jiren=No personality,i really want an explanation for this.

It's an exaggeration, but basically it's just that he is so emotionless and that his design is really bland. People just aren't won over by Jiren's version of the stoic, taciturn type even though it was obviously meant to be "cool."