Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think the video was deleted or something, but I remember that when Brian said a line in his Vegeta voice, it sounded deep, deeper than Copy Vegeta.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8000 Saiyan wrote:Oh God...I hope not. I'm 100% sure that it's a Vancouver VA. Ocean would want someone with incredible talent to play Cell, not someone with lesser talent.
Well, as I've said many times, Calgary actor =/= untalented actor. Yes, the better actors are generally the ones from Vancouver, but I imagine they've auditioned actors from both pools, and just chosen whoever gives the best performance for that character. Sure, many of them will probably end up being Vancouver actors, but some may very well end up being Calgary actors simply because that actor was better for that role than a Vancouver actor.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, as I've said many times, Calgary actor =/= untalented actor. Yes, the better actors are generally the ones from Vancouver, but I imagine they've auditioned actors from both pools, and just chosen whoever gives the best performance for that character. Sure, many of them will probably end up being Vancouver actors, but some may very well end up being Calgary actors simply because that actor was better for that role than a Vancouver actor.
I can't think of anyone in the Blue Water talent pool who can do all forms of Cell.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I can't think of anyone in the Blue Water talent pool who can do all forms of Cell.
Doesn't mean there isn't someone, just means you don't know of any. ;)

On an unrelated note, one thing I'm wondering is that if Saffron Henderson is playing Gohan again, I wonder if she'll be playing kid Goku in flashbacks too...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I can't think of anyone in the Blue Water talent pool who can do all forms of Cell.
Doesn't mean there isn't someone, just means you don't know of any. ;)

On an unrelated note, one thing I'm wondering is that if Saffron Henderson is playing Gohan again, I wonder if she'll be playing kid Goku in flashbacks too...
Okay, I asked a friend of mine on BTVA about it and he thinks that Jonathan Love and Brendan Hunter might work for all forms, but he isn't 100% sure.

They should have had her doing Kid Goku instead of Peter. Nothing against Peter, I think he's a great Goku, but he was painful as Kid Goku.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:On an unrelated note, one thing I'm wondering is that if Saffron Henderson is playing Gohan again, I wonder if she'll be playing kid Goku in flashbacks too...
Nitro already made an entire essay on why she is, and I believe him, but I'll just say that if she is, she'll probably be voicing Goku in the sepia-tone flashbacks. They won't make that mistake with getting Peter Kelamis to do it again, especially since they have had no contact with him throughout this project.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Okay, I asked a friend of mine on BTVA about it and he thinks that Jonathan Love and Brendan Hunter might work for all forms, but he isn't 100% sure.
Sure. I'm not really familiar with the actors in the Calgary talent pool, but sure.
8000 Saiyan wrote:They should have had her doing Kid Goku instead of Peter. Nothing against Peter, I think he's a great Goku, but he was painful as Kid Goku.
Well, we know Peter Kelamis isn't Goku this time around, so it wouldn't make sense for him to do it. :P
But yeah, Kelamis playing kid Goku was a mistake, and likely not one they'll make again.

The question is, will it be Henderson playing kid Goku, will it be Jillian Michaels, will it be Zoe Slusar, will it be someone new...?
Arian wrote:Nitro already made an entire essay on why she is, and I believe him, but I'll just say that if she is, she'll probably be voicing Goku in the sepia-tone flashbacks. They won't make that mistake with getting Peter Kelamis to do it again, especially since they have had no contact with him throughout this project.
I see. Sounds good. Still, interesting to speculate on, right? :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 am

Robo4900 wrote: Well, we know Peter Kelamis isn't Goku this time around, so it wouldn't make sense for him to do it. :P
But yeah, Kelamis playing kid Goku was a mistake, and likely not one they'll make again.

The question is, will it be Henderson playing kid Goku, will it be Jillian Michaels, will it be Zoe Slusar, will it be someone new...?
They could just get Saffron to do it. It's not like Kid Goku had a lot of dialogue in the flashbacks.

Here's the voices that Paul Dobson could do for all of Cell's forms:

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...u-Nui/Nidhiki/ (Imperfect form)
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...on/EO-Captain/ (Semi-Perfect form)
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...uyasha/Naraku/ (Perfect form)

A friend of mine came up with this idea.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 am

Wait, why are we suddenly talking like this'll definitely be released now? I'm confused and intrigued. :shock:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:Wait, why are we suddenly talking like this'll definitely be released now? I'm confused and intrigued. :shock:
Read these tweets and you'll be enlightened:

https://twitter.com/shomi_marni/status/ ... 0230585344

https://twitter.com/shomi_marni/status/ ... 7795988485

https://twitter.com/shomi_marni/status/ ... 8938145792

Not a 100% guarantee, but we're getting there.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Arian wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:Wait, why are we suddenly talking like this'll definitely be released now? I'm confused and intrigued. :shock:

I think she talks about the channel in the last tweet and not DBZ Kai.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Your links are broken.
Arian wrote:Not a 100% guarantee, but we're getting there.
Indeed. I think it's safe to say "It's probably going to start airing this year." That's how I've been saying it for the past few weeks.
Especially given the fact she says she'll keep us posted, and all she's had to say so far is that it's going well, and that we should stay tuned. :)
sangofe wrote:I think she talks about the channel in the last tweet and not DBZ Kai.
I think she means both; CRTC approval for the channel will take some time. If all goes well, Kai may be one of the headline acts for the channel's debut.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm

sangofe wrote:
Arian wrote:

I think she talks about the channel in the last tweet and not DBZ Kai.
I get that impression too, but honestly can we blame her? The main priority now is getting the channel launched because without it Ocean Kai is back to square one of having no place to air, which, if rumours are true, has unfortunately been the case for many years. It may do well if it airs, but I don't think a whole channel should bank their success on it, even if brand name recognition is there. Having said that,
since Marni has asked who owns the distribution rights to DBZ I do believe she is at least taking Kai into consideration, even if overall it is just seen as part of the pie, so to speak.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I get that impression too, but honestly can we blame her? The main priority now is getting the channel launched because without it Ocean Kai is back to square one of having no place to air, which, if rumours are true, has unfortunately been the case for many years. It may do well if it airs, but I don't think a whole channel should bank their success on it, even if brand name recognition is there. Having said, since Marni has asked who owns the distribution rights to DBZ I do believe she is at least taking Kai into consideration, even if overall it is just seen as part of the pie, so to speak.
I mean, I think it's pretty safe to say that it's quite likely we'll be getting it...
Marni Shulman on Twitter wrote:Tnx to all 4 help & advice. Have already had calls last week. More next wk. No promises, but trying to make something happen :)
Marni Shulman on Twitter wrote:Sorry for the delay. No news yet. Will keep everyone posted.
Marni Shulman on Twitter wrote:All good! Totally normal timeframes. Takes ~6mos to get CRTC approval for channel License. Everything’s on track - not to worry :D
She says she'll keep us posted, she's saying it's all on track... I think if there was a problem, we'd have already known about it in November/December.

I imagine Kai may be one of the headliners for the channel when it begins. Other anime titles will likely draw the interest of those who only initially tuned in for Kai, and the fact it's a channel airing anime will probably give it a decent boost from anime fans in general.
And of course there'll have to be other great anime shows on to keep things interesting, and to make the channel a proper success rather than just a one-trick pony. But still, Dragon Ball is a big name, so I imagine it'll be a nice, big draw for viewers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

I think those sound too different.

A lot of why I like Dale Wilson's Cell is that it's clearly the same guy, in a vastly different form.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
I think those sound too different.

A lot of why I like Dale Wilson's Cell is that it's clearly the same guy, in a vastly different form.
I can clearly tell that Naraku and the E.O. Captain are voiced by the same guy.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I can clearly tell that Naraku and the E.O. Captain are voiced by the same guy.
From a meta-perspective, I can see where you're coming from, but I think they're far too different.

Besides, I think the Naraku voice would be a poor choice for Perfect Cell, to be honest. I think he needs to sound a lot more lofty and overconfident. That voice sounds far too sinister and subtle, I think.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I can clearly tell that Naraku and the E.O. Captain are voiced by the same guy.
From a meta-perspective, I can see where you're coming from, but I think they're far too different.

Besides, I think the Naraku voice would be a poor choice for Perfect Cell, to be honest. I think he needs to sound a lot more lofty and overconfident. That voice sounds far too sinister and subtle, I think.
Well, Paul can do that.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, Paul can do that.
I imagine so.

Still, one thing I'm wondering...
If Terry Klassen isn't back(Which people have been raising as a possibility), I wonder who will do Kuririn?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, Paul can do that.
I imagine so.

Still, one thing I'm wondering...
If Terry Klassen isn't back(Which people have been raising as a possibility), I wonder who will do Kuririn?
Maybe Sam Vincent.