"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Draconic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 pm

I am really curious about how they'll handle Bulma next episode. Did Hiromi Tsuru do some lines in advance? Is it going to be reused dialogue? Have they found a replacement? Not gonna lie, either of those will be pretty hard to take in.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Totamo wrote:Yeah......You're that guy.
Sounds just like a way to deflect criticism to me. I have no bias against Super; I'm sick of repeating myself that I enjoy the Black arc.
Totamo wrote:There is nothing wrong with generic and you should know that, lots of critical acclaimed shows are by definition are generic so you definitely need a better reason than generic or cheesy to say something is bad. 17's sacrifice has weight for the same reason why 8 had weight, we liked the character and don't want him gone.
Generic is bad if it's used as a major plot point or it's a defining characteristic of a character. Jiren's entire reason for being, it turns out, is that his family and friends got killed by some super evil guy we'll never actually see. So he decided to become strong. How riveting. That's bad. He was better off without a backstory if they weren't willing to put in the effort to make up something unique.

I don't understand what you mean by #8? He didn't sacrifice himself, unless you mean the Path to Power movie. Regardless, #17's sacrifice holds no weight because the situation surrounding it was stupid. That's enough to take you out of the experience.
Totamo wrote:The rest of your complaints are things you have already stated and You are literally repeating yourself at this point. There are arc problems and then they are episodic problems, you know like how arcs can be bad but have good episodes. This arc problem is its inconsistent, thus Freeza and the power ups being used.
Yes, I am repeating myself because all the episodes have the same problem. How are you turning this against me when you're even admitting that it's a problem?
Totamo wrote:So tell me what is this episode's problem that you deem it as a petty distinction between the two.
I already did.
If you cant enjoy any episode because "all the episodes have the same problem" then why keep watching? or you're always expecting the next one to be the one?

you are entitled to your opinion, and youre free to watch whatever you want, i just dont see the point on watching the next episode, and the next one, and the next, just to complain abaout the same problems every time...

at this point, you could accept that is not going to meet your expectations, and either finish watching the series for some "cool moments" or just stop watching it because the writing its too bad for you and you can't let that slide.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Yeah, I agree with Doctor.. Jiren's backstory was quite generic, but I didn't expect 17 sacrifice. He sure was the main character of this arc
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Draconic wrote:I am really curious about how they'll handle Bulma next episode. Did Hiromi Tsuru do some lines in advance? Is it going to be reused dialogue? Have they found a replacement? Not gonna lie, either of those will be pretty hard to take in.
Since it's Vegeta thinking about Bulma, I feel like they'll probably use old dialogue.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

So Jiren's wish is to erase the past, maybe by killing the guy who slaughtered his family. This would also go against his ideals Belmod talked about in the manga.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm

I wonder why 17 can't ask Bulma to get him a boat.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:17 pm

The moment you realise that powering up is actually powering down??? Wtf! Why is Whis zo quiet, no mention of how strong Jiren is. He just powered up. He supposed to be on a level beyond GoD?!

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm

After watching the full episode, seems like there is more to Jiren's wish. We shall wait and see. Plus at least he talks more now. It's nothing amazing but much better than before.

17 is the biggest highlight of the whole TOP arc, really surprised me. I don't give a damn about power levels but even his personality and how much he changed since Cell arc is amazing. plus seeing him fight alongside Vegeta and Goku as one team gave me weird feelings, in a good way but idk how to describe it in words lol

Also, I'm really liking these 2vs1, 3vs1 fights or even 2vs2 like Goku Black arc, they should do more of them.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 pm

I wonder what Freeza-sama will do for the rest of the arc, they should have just had Toppo eliminate him.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Someone must really like Freeza, to make him pop out every episode despite the fact that he will be the "surprise winner" of the tournament.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Anyone else think that evil doer will be an upcoming villain one day? Either in the movie (which might be doubtful) or another series.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

The problem with Jiren's backstory isn't that it's generic (it is, btw). The issue here is when you realize what show you are watching: Dragon Ball. You know, the series where a baby is sent to Earth, clonks his head, and becomes a martial artist, training with multiple masters until he learns about his background as a member of an extinct warrior race, and eventually fulfills a prophecy from their culture, becoming a legendary warrior that is said to be virtually indestructable. The series where the prince of said race has all his people slaughtered by a space dictator, is held in bondage, and trains most of his life to become the strongest in the universe. The series where a boy from the future has all his loved ones killed, and is taken in by a master to train to become strong enough to protect the remaining individuals in his planet (wait, this sounds familiar).

Case in point, training has always been a major theme in this franchise. We understand that saiyans are a unique race that are genetically built to fight. Hence, they are unusually strong. So then, why is it that Jiren, a seemingly generic alien, is able to train, but unlike everyone else, can surpass even the gods and be unaffected by time itself (I still can't get over that)? Because he really, really likes being strong? The only thing more unbearable than this is the "u weak, i strong" dialogue they're going to have Jiren repeatedly spewing now, since Toei loves turning their characters into caricatures (JUSTICE FLASH!!!).

Oh, and he lost trust in people, so... he's a part of the Pride Troopers because... strength? Strength is justice? What?

Jiren should have been the survivor of a destroyed universe that had such a high level, it was considered a threat. Jiren should be someone who was born with such an unfathomable power, he trained his whole life to suppress it to not cause damage to the environments and people around him (perfect contrast to Goku). Jiren should be someone with a true sense of justice and little arrogance, as shown in one of the chapters in the manga, not this "strength is justice" bullshit, which just makes him come off as a villain or lame anti-hero.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Yo I didn't expect 17 to fucking die. Toriyama somehow managed to surprise me even though I thought I had it all figured out
And Jiren = Jin Kazama

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Updated episode title for 129:

Batman v Superman! Dawn of Ultra Instinct!!
That's what this is. Goku vs Jiren is Batman vs Superman. It's hilarious.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:36 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:The problem with Jiren's backstory isn't that it's generic (it is, btw). The issue here is when you realize what show you are watching: Dragon Ball. You know, the series where a baby is sent to Earth, clonks his head, and becomes a martial artist, training with multiple masters until he learns about his background as a member of an extinct warrior race, and eventually fulfills a prophecy from their culture, becoming a legendary warrior that is said to be virtually indestructable. The series where the prince of said race has all his people slaughtered by a space dictator, is held in bondage, and trains most of his life to become the strongest in the universe. The series where a boy from the future has all his loved ones killed, and is taken in by a master to train to become strong enough to protect the remaining individuals in his planet (wait, this sounds familiar).

Case in point, training has always been a major theme in this franchise. We understand that saiyans are a unique race that are genetically built to fight. Hence, they are unusually strong. So then, why is it that Jiren, a seemingly generic alien, is able to train, but unlike everyone else, can surpass even the gods and be unaffected by time itself (I still can't get over that)? Because he really, really likes being strong? The only thing more unbearable than this is the "u weak, i strong" dialogue they're going to have Jiren repeatedly spewing now, since Toei loves turning their characters into caricatures (JUSTICE FLASH!!!).

Oh, and he lost trust in people, so... he's a part of the Pride Troopers because... strength? Strength is justice? What?

Jiren should have been the survivor of a destroyed universe that had such a high level, it was considered a threat. Jiren should be someone who was born with such an unfathomable power, he trained his whole life to suppress it to not cause damage to the environments and people around him (perfect contrast to Goku). Jiren should be someone with a true sense of justice and little arrogance, as shown in one of the chapters in the manga, not this "strength is justice" bullshit, which just makes him come off as a villain or lame anti-hero.
It was clear from the get-go anime Jiren was different from manga Jiren.
Feels over Reals.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Bullza wrote:Anyone else think that evil doer will be an upcoming villain one day? Either in the movie (which might be doubtful) or another series.
I prefer an episode of that or an ova.
Mostly active on discord.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Vegeta: "Jiren, I'm more than enough to knock you off!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a scrub! I'm looking forward to seeing him job hard to Jiren next episode. Hopefully it's worse than the Kid Buu treatment. On another note: Very impressed with 17's sacrifice. I wasn't a big fan with how they wanked him up to this point, but the noble sacrifice for his universe was amazing.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 pm

[spoiler]17 is now tied in number of deaths with Krillin and Piccolo.
And if you think about it,he has died in every arc he appeared in.[/spoiler]

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:The problem with Jiren's backstory isn't that it's generic (it is, btw). The issue here is when you realize what show you are watching: Dragon Ball. You know, the series where a baby is sent to Earth, clonks his head, and becomes a martial artist, training with multiple masters until he learns about his background as a member of an extinct warrior race, and eventually fulfills a prophecy from their culture, becoming a legendary warrior that is said to be virtually indestructable. The series where the prince of said race has all his people slaughtered by a space dictator, is held in bondage, and trains most of his life to become the strongest in the universe. The series where a boy from the future has all his loved ones killed, and is taken in by a master to train to become strong enough to protect the remaining individuals in his planet (wait, this sounds familiar).

wait, but for a long time in the west even before minus, goku's backstory was considered a rip off of superman.