Super Episode 127 (11 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 127 (11 February 2018)

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

I thought this episode was a good one and I enjoyed watching it. I like Jiren's backstory and I wonder if the "evil-doer" in Jiren's past will be a future villain when Dragon Ball comes in a new show or manga. I liked how Freeza keeps coming back and getting his butt beaten every time. I liked how Jiren's past made him untrusting of people. I still want to know what is his wish is though. I enjoyed Andriod 17's self-sacrifice to protect Goku and Vegeta. Looks like next episode maybe where Vegeta gets knocked out of the tournament. Overall, this episode was a good episode and I can't wait for more soon.
Rating: 7.5 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

It was an ok episode.
    The stamina thing is a joke so i won't talk about it.
      #17 sacrifice was really unexpected,it kinda got me and I liked how he call himself a human after his final moments.
        The battle were enjoyable, this is the type of battles I expected with the destroyed arena and coupled with good strategy making this episode really fun.
          Jiren backstory was really generic however it explains why is he is so arrogant,i would have liked this more if he was written consistently.
          Last edited by The gr on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          Mostly active on discord.

Android 21

Post by Android 21 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:37 pm

Episode was just plain bad

1. Vegeta instantly going back to Super Vegeta Blue. This really can’t be helped at this point, but they never should’ve run the forced final explosion angle to begin with.

2. Jiren’s ridiculously generic backstory... are you kidding me?! That’s what’s we waited the whole arc for?! If you’re going to have him be this mysterious entity the whole arc for some huge reveal, at least put effort into it! This was so LAZY. And we learned nothing about how he got so strong. I guess he beat up some space poachers for a few hours in the woods.

3. What was the point of Frieza in this episode? That segment accomplished absolutely nothing other than humiliating him and making him look weak unnecessarily. Especially with Android 17 WAY over-performing this whole arc.

4. 17 being of ANY worth against Jiren is just laughable. He should’ve been cut from every scene except the self-destruction. Nullifying Jiren’s attack to give Goku and Vegeta time is the best he can do.

ZenkaiBoosts
          Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Oh yeah, and the interactions between 17 and Jiren were great. I loved how 17 tried to get under Jiren's skin about his backstory and wish, and was seemingly succeeding in getting under Jiren's skin. LOVED that.

Such a stark contrast in writing between last week's episode and this episode

This episode legit turned me into a fan of 17

17 wins runner up MVP.

Goku is my #1 MVP

ZenkaiBoosts
          Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Bullza wrote:That evil doer will be a villain one day.
          This would be amazing

Imagine If after Goku and Jiren's intense battle Jiren grows to finally respect Goku and accept Goku as someone who's stronger or equal.

Then imagine Goku and Jiren teaming up against that evil doer in a future arc?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Android 21 wrote:Episode was just plain bad

1. Vegeta instantly going back to Super Vegeta Blue. This really can’t be helped at this point, but they never should’ve run the forced final explosion angle to begin with.

2. Jiren’s ridiculously generic backstory... are you kidding me?! That’s what’s we waited the whole arc for?! If you’re going to have him be this mysterious entity the whole arc for some huge reveal, at least put effort into it! This was so LAZY. And we learned nothing about how he got so strong. I guess he beat up some space poachers for a few hours in the woods.

3. What was the point of Frieza in this episode? That segment accomplished absolutely nothing other than humiliating him and making him look weak unnecessarily. Especially with Android 17 WAY over-performing this whole arc.

4. 17 being of ANY worth against Jiren is just laughable. He should’ve been cut from every scene except the self-destruction. Nullifying Jiren’s attack to give Goku and Vegeta time is the best he can do.
          You have android 21 as your username and profile pick. The character who is essentially hot Buu and Cell.

Something is off about that.

ZenkaiBoosts
          Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Totamo wrote:

You have android 21 as your username and profile pick. The character who is essentially hot Buu and Cell.

Haha yep

Polyphase Avatron
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Comments on this episode:

- Again, it seems weird that the supposedly super-strong Katchi Katchin is crumbling into dust just by falling a short distance...
          - Can 17 sense his ki or is he just reacting to the visual effects of the transformation?
          - Is it really so surprising that Jiren's ki can shake the stands from that distance, when much weaker characters like SSJ3 Goku could shake the whole planet by powering up?
          - Is Jiren implying that Vegeta could beat him if he wasn't injured?
          - Also I thought Vegeta exhausted all of his stamina but he's right back to super blue or whatever it's called...
          - The animation here seems kind of off IMO
          - Jiren could just kick him away from a rock instead of towards one so he would fall out of bounds... but of course that would be too easy
          - So does he mean that punch could beat normal Toppo or Hakaishin Toppo? I still say if Toppo was out to kill Vegeta would be dead
          - I guess it is possible to take Jiren by surprise. 17 not being able to be sensed probably helped.
          - The perspective in that one shot when he gets smashed into the rock makes Freeza's arm look super long
          - Brutal. Of course Jiren has a bad habit of only temporarily knocking his opponents out instead of actually eliminating them.
          - A flashback on Jiren's backstory? Better late than never
          - I'm confused though, what is his wish? It can't be to revive his parents, friends, and teacher, since he doesn't care about them anymore...
          - That attack seems similar to his Power Impact as it starts as a small blast but then expands to become huge
          - It seems like they're making 17 a Green Lantern now or something, with the ability to put up barriers anywhere in any shape
          - The Zenos seem rather unhappy with the idea of Goku and Vegeta losing...
          - So was the self-destruct from the original bomb Dr. Gero put in him? Because that makes no sense as it would be too weak to do anything at this point. Or did he also detonate all of his accumulated energy or something?
          - Wouldn't it be better if 17 hadn't self-destructed and instead allowed himself to get killed by Jiren's attack? That way Jiren would be disqualified. Even if Goku and Vegeta died from it too, Universe 7 would still win... then again, Freeza getting the wish is not something you really want to risk.

Fairly good episode overall
          Last edited by Polyphase Avatron on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheOtherDude
          Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm

I’m a 17 fan, but I feel like they wasted him with this barrier when he could’ve used his infinite amount of energy to try and restore their strength.

Melab

Post by Melab » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Arugela wrote:So, his back story is a combo of what? It's blatantly part batman. I'm assuming the backstory of his friends and mentors dieing is a reference to something about the monkey king or some other oriental story. Wasn't this the same story as that anime about the two gods who fights and try to get the sword. The one chose not to rule and allowed his arch enemy to take it while him and friends tried to retake it afterwords... It seems it's more than batman. Is it Hercules or something greek or biblical or maybe something older like sumerian?!
          Batman didn't come away from the experience believe that "strength is justice" or that "the weak obey the strong". I don't see the Batman parallel because the only similarities are at the surface. The way it changed Jiren is the most interesting part.

Melab

Post by Melab » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 pm

majinwarman wrote:I thought this episode was a good one and I enjoyed watching it. I like Jiren's backstory and I wonder if the "evil-doer" in Jiren's past will be a future villain when Dragon Ball comes in a new show or manga. I liked how Freeza keeps coming back and getting his butt beaten every time. I liked how Jiren's past made him untrusting of people. I still want to know what is his wish is though. I enjoyed Andriod 17's self-sacrifice to protect Goku and Vegeta. Looks like next episode maybe where Vegeta gets knocked out of the tournament. Overall, this episode was a good episode and I can't wait for more soon.
          Rating: 7.5 out of 10
          The thing about trust came out of nowhere.

dario03
          Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Couple of things.

1. They didn't announce 17 was out or show him removed on the Godpad. Maybe he didn't actually self destruct...Maybe hes just hiding. Maybe hiding out with Hit 8)

2. And if he did, why? Why not just get Goku and Vegeta out of the way and try to stop the attack. If he dies, Jiren is disqualified. Though I guess this isn't the first time we've seen something like that, or any worse than Goku not just IT-ing Jiren out.
          Last edited by dario03 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Android 21

Post by Android 21 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Totamo wrote:

...touché lol.

Still. 21 being some horny teen’s fanfiction dream doesn’t make Jiren’s story better. My boyfriend hates 21’s portrayal too.

Melee_Sovereign
          Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Artorias wrote:
          Melee_Sovereign wrote:
          Bullza wrote:That evil doer will be a villain one day.
          Maybe it was Zamasu lol
          I seriously thought for a SPLIT SECOND that it was Black. The eyes looked exactly like his did back when he was first introduced, and that whole scene was extremely reminiscent of when he killed Bulma. Obviously when you think about it for 5 seconds that's a dumb idea, but there was a brief moment where it crossed my mind.
          It is a silly idea, but then again, Black was able to time travel. It also makes you wonder where the hell Jiren was when Black was killing off all the gods.

I had another idea a while back. Remember when no one knew who Black was and were trying to come up with theories? I had this idea that Zamasu traveled back in time and gave Goku the heart virus (as a God of Creation, he can create viruses). When Goku dies from it, the virus undergoes a slow 20-year process where it takes over the host's body, which would have birthed Black. Since the virus was created by Zamasu, that would have been the explanation as to why Black's ki was similar.

But so much for that.

Forte224
          Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Yeah the Jiren power scale nerfs are just getting annoying. But it's more they're giving the others plot armor instead of nerfing him I guess. Either way, the outcome will be the same as what they always planned it would be.

17 dying was unexpected and sad. Jiren's backstory was ok, if a little rushed. The second half of the episode really picked up and was enjoyable but the first half dragged a bit. Overall ok episode. Starting to get worried here because doesn't the hiatus/end of Super come on episode 131? They're gonna have to rush to wrap this all up.

MajinVegetaPD
          Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 pm

So it's confirmed that Vegetas "cool moment" is him getting the Kid Buu treatment.

Nice, thanks Toshio. Very original.

Chuquita
          Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Arugela wrote:
          Chuquita wrote:It was ok. 17's sacrifice was a shock. Jiren's backstory being told by someone who isn't Jiren instead of Jiren himself flashing back hurt it in the show don't tell way. All that happened is I understand Jiren more, but I still don't like him which is fair enough. I feel worse for 17's wife and three kids.

I feel like there's not enough writer communication going on in regards to Vegeta's stamina.

I'm now leery of next week's episode where I was formerly looking forward to it. The Weekly Jump preview teased my ship where the next episode preview teased not my ship so my expectations are much lower now.
          Or they are simply revealing the reason why bulma left yamcha.... Although I still don't know why yamchan has been turned into one of the worst characters in the show. He's one of the oldest. He deserves some respect.

AND I THEORIZE THAT ANDROID 17 WILL POP OUT OF NOWHERE FROM A SPECIAL ABILITY AT THE LAST MOMENT AND NOT BE DEAD AND HELP FIGHT JIREN LEAVING EVERYONE IN SHOCK!! :crazy: This is our last hope. We should take it!! :D
          I was just hoping this arc would partly redeem itself and toss my unofficial VegeKaka ship some service, but if it's just gonna be yet another VegeBul episode then bah: I have been duped.

I do feel bad for Yamcha. Poor guy's had especially bad luck since Super began (The Meme Curse I guess). It's impressive he can retain the optimism he has.

You know they didn't show 17 erased from the godpads, did they? Or did I miss it? Would be nice if he's not dead.

I keep expecting that surprise I'm still here thing to happen with Freeza, even though the summaries say otherwise.
          My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
          ---
          フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

OverHeaven
          Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

God, the number of people who thinks that "evil" person is Goku Black is unbelievable.
          I mean, no one beside him can appear as mysterious silhouette figure with evil eyes, no one.
          Last edited by OverHeaven on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Android 21 wrote:
          Totamo wrote:

...touché lol.

Still. 21 being some horny teen’s fanfiction dream doesn’t make Jiren’s story better. My boyfriend hates 21’s portrayal too.
          No, it doesn't and I agree that this should have been told to us sooner. Not because its not worth waiting for, but it would have made Jiren understandable.

PS. I love #21 especially the good version. Toriyama designed her well.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 pm

OverHeaven wrote:God, the number of people who thinks that "evil" person is Goku Black is unbelievable.
          I mean, no one beside him can appear as mysterious silhouette figure with evil eyes, no one.
          Goten Black was a thing.