Vegeta will receive the Kid Boo treatment again... very original

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Vegeta will receive the Kid Boo treatment again... very original

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 pm

DBS is built on nostalgia and callbacks, the ToP especially. You still don't understand this at this point?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Um... are we forgetting this moment right here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCbJThv8H8I

Vegeta doesn't have to win to have amazing scenes. Him never surrendering and continuing to fight until the last breath is what makes him so awesome. So yeah, give him the "Kid Boo treatment" again. I'd love to see it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Mercenary wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Will not he even be able to use his transformation in his last fight? Is not he going to be able to give Jiren any work in his last effort?
He kept using Final Flash and his strongest form in this last episode, despite being "out of stamina."
At least Goku needed some time to recover, after his first fight against Jiren.

Next episode there will be another flashback for him again, he will most likely talk about his pride again, but Jiren will beat his plot armor.
Look who's talking.
You are Goku fan and you dare say something about plot armor
Goku also has plot armor, but he's the main character. That's part of his character design. :lol:
Vegeta is the second fiddle. His job is not to beat the final guy, but lose to him and serve as a hype tool for the main character.

It's your guys fault, if you expect him to be winner in the end and then come out disappointed. It's not like he didn't have cool moments in the Tournament.
He's about to have another cool moment next episode, even though it's the same thing over and over, but I guess you enjoy it.
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
No, with Goku it was no different.

Soon after the fight against Kefla, Goku could barely stand. And what happened on the next EP? It simply activates the Blue. At the end of the fight he uses the Blue Kaioken and a Kamehameha after supposedly running out of energy, and is enough to destroy that '' black hole '' of U2.
Truth, but I was talking before Kefla. After his fight against Jiren, he was in his base form and having trouble with U3 fighters. He got saved by Caulifla but he was only able to use SSB against Kefla.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:11 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Vegeta is the second fiddle. His job is not to beat the final guy, but lose to him and serve as a hype tool for the main character.
Vegeta's role is whatever the hell the writers want it to be at any given moment.

And repeating Goku's the main char over and over again like a mantra isn't doing you any favors. He sure is always in the spotlight in Toei's theatrical movies, but let's take a look at most of the major villains in Z. Vegeta - finished off by Gohan. Freeza - offed himself, then killed by Trunks. Cell - killed by Gohan. Buu was the only villain Goku directly vanquished. As for Super - Goku lost to Beerus, lost to Hit, lost to Fused Zamasu (Trunks was the one to off that guy, Zen-oh finished the job). Only the Tournament of Power is where Goku is actually starting to shine and get things done ever since the beginning of Super, so you should definitely not talk as if this is always obvious and natural because of Goku's standing as the protagonist.

Vegeta's performance on the other hand, has been comparable to Goku's throughout most of super, with his successes directly mirroring Goku's. Kakarot of course is one step ahead - first with KKx20 (which Vegeta has already caught up to), then with UI (which is unreliable and unpredictable). Still, in the future anime series it's quite probable that Vegeta will once again catch up to Goku for some time, or even surpass him.
Last edited by Saturnine on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm

He's blasted out a lot of heavy hitters, achieved a new transformation, and surpassed a God of Destruction level fighter.

The only "disappointing" thing is that he won't be the one to make the wish.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm

MajinVegetaPD wrote:It's funny you mentioned that. The ending of Vegeta I would have liked to see would have been a temporary awaking of UI before he gets eliminated. Like a flash of grey eyes, something.
That and his body reacting to Jiren's attack by surprisingly getting a good hit in before going down.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Saturnine wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Vegeta is the second fiddle. His job is not to beat the final guy, but lose to him and serve as a hype tool for the main character.
Vegeta's role is whatever the hell the writers want it to be at any given moment.
That's not an argument, because you can say that about any character in fiction.
But yeah about vegeta, his role is being a hype tool for the main character since Namek arc in 1990/1991.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
MajinVegetaPD wrote:It's funny you mentioned that. The ending of Vegeta I would have liked to see would have been a temporary awaking of UI before he gets eliminated. Like a flash of grey eyes, something.
That and his body reacting to Jiren's attack by surprisingly getting a good hit in before going down.
I was thinking the same thought - it would be nice to see Vegeta get a few flashes of UI for a couple moments, as a foreshadowing of future events.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:27 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: But yeah about vegeta, his role is being a hype tool for the main character since Namek arc in 1991.
Well in Super it hasn't been his role, at least not consistently. In the Zamasu arc his performance was about as good as Goku's, and Jiren doesn't need hyping up at this point, because we already know how strong he is and that UI is the only thing that can stand up to him.

In the end we'll still probably get either a double knockout or Goku going the time with Jiren and U7 winning on account of Freeza.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Vegeta's role is being a hype tool for the main character since Namek arc in 1990/1991.
That didn't happen against Kid Buu. Goku's fight as a Ssj3 against Beerus hyped him up when he got upset over Bulma. Against Golden Freeza it was Goku who lost and Vegeta was the one to step in and beat Freeza down which was more emphasized in Super, him and Goku both had trouble against the Zamasus in that arc and in the current arc Vegeta has done way more than he's ever done so this whole "Vegeta's just there to make Goku look good" should end already cause it's only happened in 3 of the 8 arcs he's fought alongside Goku in. Even then, an argument could be made that it only happened against Hit, not Cell and Freeza on Namek.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:28 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:Is that serious? Is Vegeta's '' cool moment '' going to be beaten by Jiren and continue to stand up just because of his pride? Will not he even be able to use his transformation in his last fight? Is not he going to be able to give Jiren any work in his last effort?

Will not he be able to do anything?

So why did he stay in the arena?
Simple. To buy time and make Goku look better. The exact same thing is happening to Goku, except they are giving him Perfected UI instead of eliminating him. This is something Dragon Ball has always done with the two. I do think it would have been better for him to go out in 126, but he has to follow DB tradition and do the job.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote:Why are you so pressed? Nothing will satisfy you Vegeta stans.
This 100%

There was talk about this in the thread about episode 126

Vegeta fans won't be happy until Vegeta kills Goku and becomes the main character

You even had a popular youtuber Doulie, being fed up with the absurdity of Vegeta fans and calling them out for this/setting them straight
Vegeta is a very polarizing character. You either love him, or you hate him. I personally find him to be very annoying, but we shouldn't care or base our opinions on what a DB YouTuber thinks on the subject.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 pm

To be totally honest.. you surely had to see this coming?

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:39 pm

ShinTenshin wrote:According to Fuji Tv preview, Vegeta hear the voice of Bulma.
It's pretty clear now that Vegeta will use UI.
He's in base form, a condition to unlock UI (depleted body)
Goku need to see Vegeta's fight to unlock UI, so it seems he need to see UI activation on his own by another Guy !
And the preview seems to foreshadowing shomething as Vegeta isn't show transforming and we know he can't do nothing in this form.

When Toshio talk about a "cool Vegeta", it's probably about Bulma's voice.
Remember that when Vegeta think about Kyabe and his family, he become insanely strong.
Vegeta is not unlocking UI. He's going to take a beating and be eliminated. It's because of his pride that he won't go down without a fight.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 pm

sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Vegeta's role is being a hype tool for the main character since Namek arc in 1990/1991.
That didn't happen against Kid Buu.
Did you read the title of this thread?!

His job in that fight was being a punching bag, until Goku recovered his stamina or gathered energy for the Genki Dama.
Ignoring the Genki Dama part, it was basically the same thing with Merged Zamasu in the manga.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:10 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
sintzu wrote:
That didn't happen against Kid Buu.
Did you read the title of this thread?!

His job in that fight was being a punching bag, until Goku recovered his stamina or gathered energy for the Genki Dama.
The stamina thing didn't work and with Goku getting beat up before, Vegeta getting that didn't do anything to make Goku look better. The genkidama was his idea and Goku was the only one who could form it so he didn't lose anything by putting his life on the line.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:44 pm

It looks like having real character development, have an apprentice and wanting to revive him, match against a dude who is stronger than a GoD and acknowledge to be a warrior from him, gaining an actual new transfromation that surpasses Super Saiyan Blue, defeating a literal God of Destruction, surviving the Final Explosion (a technique that killed him in Z), being the second person with most elimination in the Tournament of Power and lasting to the last 5 survivors is not enough to some Vegeta fans, geez.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:04 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:It looks like having real character development, have an apprentice and wanting to revive him, match against a dude who is stronger than a GoD and acknowledge to be a warrior from him, gaining an actual new transfromation that surpasses Super Saiyan Blue, defeating a literal God of Destruction, surviving the Final Explosion (a technique that killed him in Z), being the second person with most elimination in the Tournament of Power and lasting to the last 5 survivors is not enough to some Vegeta fans, geez.
It's more than I could have hoped for, and I'm thankful that my favourite character got his time to shine, but it's obvious that now he has no place in the tournament anymore, his role has been fulfilled. It's fitting for him to go down fighting , and I couldn't have asked for more. Seriously, Vegeta is at his highest importante peak right now, and I can't see how anyone can be upset with his treatment
Get Fucked, C_unt

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:It looks like having real character development, have an apprentice and wanting to revive him, match against a dude who is stronger than a GoD and acknowledge to be a warrior from him, gaining an actual new transfromation that surpasses Super Saiyan Blue, defeating a literal God of Destruction, surviving the Final Explosion (a technique that killed him in Z), being the second person with most elimination in the Tournament of Power and lasting to the last 5 survivors is not enough to some Vegeta fans, geez.
It's more than I could have hoped for, and I'm thankful that my favourite character got his time to shine, but it's obvious that now he has no place in the tournament anymore, his role has been fulfilled. It's fitting for him to go down fighting , and I couldn't have asked for more. Seriously, Vegeta is at his highest importante peak right now, and I can't see how anyone can be upset with his treatment
I have answered this type of comment several times, but I will respond again.

I never said I was dissatisfied with Vegeta's performance at ToP, the only issue here is about his '' farewell ''.

If TOEI did not want to eliminate it on EP 126, it's because it still would have some use.
But why does his "farewell" need to be summed up to be defeated by Jiren in base form without being able to do anything?
What he should do is at least be able to transform himself and get Jiren some work or do something before being eliminated.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

You've marked a good point.

Dude who wants to protect his Universe, his family, revive another Universe so that he can keep his promise has to go down only because he hasn't got a plot armor.

And what is more ironic - a guy who has probably the biggest motives you could ever have, will be outlasted by an evil guy who didn't do much in this tournament except for being evil, constantly smacked around and trying to pull off some lame moves which are said to be related to his personality and by a guy who is the MC of this show, so it's kinda understandable that he will outlast Vegeta (but being MC doesn't mean you have to last 'till the very end, just saying) and that's why I am not satisfied with Vegeta's performance.

Don't get me wrong, he was cool in this tournament and he has done a lot but he will ultimately fails to keep his promise and do his job as usual. Nothing really refreshing. That's why I am not happy and I have the damn right to be unhappy.