"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:37 am

Nozawa's Black was perfect no doubt but I think Schemmel is doing a great job at his own thing.

I dont think its as easy to do an evil version of English Goku as it is Japanese. I attribute that a lot to 99.5% of the international audience not being native Japanese speakers. Its a lot easier to be critical of something you understand I guess.

Goku's waaaahhhhhh was probably a bit too much but at least it was good for a laugh. I also completely forgot about that piano verison of the opening when Trunks is having a cry, that was great.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:35 pm

No DBS Part 4 for May. Guess there isn't a set release schedule.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No DBS Part 4 for May. Guess there isn't a set release schedule.
Was literally coming here to comment that same thing. Man, Funimation NEEDS to ditch the 13 episode rule and take a page out of Viz's book with the Hunter x Hunter Set 3 release. I mean, it feels like they're dragging Super's release schedule out longer so they can milk it longer, especially since the show is going to be ending in Japan. But yeah, how about with get 20 episodes a set instead of 13? I know it wouldn't mesh well with Funi's Season Set plans (more money for them for releasing the same thing once again), but they could always just release 28-30 episodes to make up for it. And that would at least ease the pain because I'm getting tired of being bound to Toonami's scheduling when it comes to the dub. Back in the day, didn't Z release FASTER than Cartoon Network's airings? Why is it reversed in 2018?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:19 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No DBS Part 4 for May. Guess there isn't a set release schedule.
Was literally coming here to comment that same thing. Man, Funimation NEEDS to ditch the 13 episode rule and take a page out of Viz's book with the Hunter x Hunter Set 3 release. I mean, it feels like they're dragging Super's release schedule out longer so they can milk it longer, especially since the show is going to be ending in Japan. But yeah, how about with get 20 episodes a set instead of 13? I know it wouldn't mesh well with Funi's Season Set plans (more money for them for releasing the same thing once again), but they could always just release 28-30 episodes to make up for it. And that would at least ease the pain because I'm getting tired of being bound to Toonami's scheduling when it comes to the dub. Back in the day, didn't Z release FASTER than Cartoon Network's airings? Why is it reversed in 2018?
To be fair though, HxH only has 50 episodes within the year from when Viz started releasing it on BD (Oct 16-17), DBS Part 4 will probably get scheduled in June meaning from year from release (July 17) DBS would have released about 50 episodes too, so they're on par.

Definitely seems with the series ending they probably don't want to rush the releases out and take their time.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
Back in the day, didn't Z release FASTER than Cartoon Network's airings? Why is it reversed in 2018?
Seeing this claim made me go check a wikipedia source (spoilers: bad idea) for the VHS tape release dates and attempt to compare them to the Toonami air dates. As someone that regularly kept up with the show during this period, I can confirm that the dates given for Toonami airings are correct. However... to my knowledge, some of the release dates provided for the VHS products do not align with reviews dated back to the Summer of '99. Not to mention I have personal experience! I watched the "Transformation - Edited" tape containing episodes 78-81 (Freeza's second form, infamous Krillin impalement, Piccolo arriving, etc.) as early as July or late as August that year. I held it in my tiny 9-year-old hands and popped it into my VHS player. Before you ask - yes, the FUNimation release. This was my first experience with the new in-house dub cast from FUNimation, - so I definitely didn't just find some rando bootleg. If you wanna call BS, that's fine - I expect there to be documentation of these releases out there - but where?

What I should have done was fact check here on Kanzenshuu first, but not only does the Episode Guide provide just DVD release dates and no record of VHS (DVDs started churning out later than the initial VHS home releases, so they do not align with our first exposure to the new dub), the summary on the "Series" page lists the Ginyu Series release dates as June 20, 2000 - of which sounds accurate! However, upon clicking that series to check on the individual releases... they are listed as October 1, 2001. Okay, fair enough - these are most likely the DVD release dates and the previous page with Series summaries give the actual VHS release da- nnnnnnope. "Frieza" series release date: May 8, 2001 - December 2001. That can't be right. They didn't wait for over a year to release the VHS. Those Fryza tapes were in every mall, in every Sam Goody, in every goddamned Suncoast - don't you dare look at me like I made those words up.

I double checked the references for the wiki page and sure enough - no references or links for the VHS tapes. All of the DVD reference links just point to Amazon links of the corresponding product... Yeah, sorry - but an online retailer that hasn't bothered to update it's info since... practically infancy in internet years, does not a reliable source make.

Does anybody have any proper info on this? I'm talkin' late 90's catalogs, brochures - hell, maybe the Wayback Machine could help us out. I can't do deep digging at this very moment, but now I'm triggered - I wanna get to the bottom of this.

aaaaaand I'm only just now realizing that the "Super Dub Official Discussion Thread" isn't the place for this kind of topic. If there's an easy answer for this nonsense, by all means - end my suffering. If not... I might just copy pasta this post into a new thread elsewhere.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Fumination should go back to doing saga sets.

Black arc should be one volume

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Fumination should go back to doing saga sets.

Maybe, but that's not how these releases work, unfortunately.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Fumination should go back to doing saga sets.

Maybe, but that's not how these releases work, unfortunately.
Clearly. I was just saying.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 am

Lunaar wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:
Back in the day, didn't Z release FASTER than Cartoon Network's airings? Why is it reversed in 2018?
Seeing this claim made me go check a wikipedia source (spoilers: bad idea) for the VHS tape release dates and attempt to compare them to the Toonami air dates. As someone that regularly kept up with the show during this period, I can confirm that the dates given for Toonami airings are correct. However... to my knowledge, some of the release dates provided for the VHS products do not align with reviews dated back to the Summer of '99. Not to mention I have personal experience! I watched the "Transformation - Edited" tape containing episodes 78-81 (Freeza's second form, infamous Krillin impalement, Piccolo arriving, etc.) as early as July or late as August that year. I held it in my tiny 9-year-old hands and popped it into my VHS player. Before you ask - yes, the FUNimation release. This was my first experience with the new in-house dub cast from FUNimation, - so I definitely didn't just find some rando bootleg. If you wanna call BS, that's fine - I expect there to be documentation of these releases out there - but where?

What I should have done was fact check here on Kanzenshuu first, but not only does the Episode Guide provide just DVD release dates and no record of VHS (DVDs started churning out later than the initial VHS home releases, so they do not align with our first exposure to the new dub), the summary on the "Series" page lists the Ginyu Series release dates as June 20, 2000 - of which sounds accurate! However, upon clicking that series to check on the individual releases... they are listed as October 1, 2001. Okay, fair enough - these are most likely the DVD release dates and the previous page with Series summaries give the actual VHS release da- nnnnnnope. "Frieza" series release date: May 8, 2001 - December 2001. That can't be right. They didn't wait for over a year to release the VHS. Those Fryza tapes were in every mall, in every Sam Goody, in every goddamned Suncoast - don't you dare look at me like I made those words up.

I double checked the references for the wiki page and sure enough - no references or links for the VHS tapes. All of the DVD reference links just point to Amazon links of the corresponding product... Yeah, sorry - but an online retailer that hasn't bothered to update it's info since... practically infancy in internet years, does not a reliable source make.

Does anybody have any proper info on this? I'm talkin' late 90's catalogs, brochures - hell, maybe the Wayback Machine could help us out. I can't do deep digging at this very moment, but now I'm triggered - I wanna get to the bottom of this.

aaaaaand I'm only just now realizing that the "Super Dub Official Discussion Thread" isn't the place for this kind of topic. If there's an easy answer for this nonsense, by all means - end my suffering. If not... I might just copy pasta this post into a new thread elsewhere.
I can confirm that they did in fact get released before they aired on tv back then, I even remember buying some of them as a result.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 am

Black doesn't really make an appearance for a couple of weeks right? I remember a long lull before they finally went to fight Black.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:59 am

OLKv3 wrote:Black doesn't really make an appearance for a couple of weeks right? I remember a long lull before they finally went to fight Black.
[spoiler]Black makes appearances, but he's mostly on his own, training or terrorizing. Though I'm pretty sure i's only two episodes until they go to the future. Next episode ends with Zamasu speculation, episode after that is investigating Zamasu and ends on arrving in the future and the humans mistaking Goku for Black[/spoiler]
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 am

Kanassa wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Black doesn't really make an appearance for a couple of weeks right? I remember a long lull before they finally went to fight Black.
[spoiler]Black makes appearances, but he's mostly on his own, training or terrorizing. Though I'm pretty sure i's only two episodes until they go to the future. Next episode ends with Zamasu speculation, episode after that is investigating Zamasu and ends on arrving in the future and the humans mistaking Goku for Black[/spoiler]
They go to the future in #56, we still have 5 episodes until then.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:27 pm

All right, guys. The Mai flashback episode, is about to start. Who's ready to hear more of Colleen Clinkenbeard as Future Mai? I know I am. Because she, sure is great at voicing her.
Caulifla best girl! :)

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:52 pm

You can start to hear the British in Black.

I always found it funny how Black was deterred by a flash grenade a bit.

Trunks says that 'Korin's gone like the rest' in this version.
Last edited by mint0h on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Mortal is what’s being used for ningen.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:05 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Mortal is what’s being used for ningen.
Makes more sense than "human," considering there are more mortal in the DBZ universe than just humans. Hell, technically the Kais are mortals, it's just that they're extremely long-lived, since they CAN die if killed. Hell, Black's technically mortal, since he didn't give Goku's body immortality, so he'd live a normal Saiyan livespan, then die of extreme old age &, since he didn't have the Dragon Balls in any form, he couldn't be able to restore his youth.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 am

I noticed that they actually got who wrote "HOPE!!" on the time machine correct this time around.

In the dubs as well as the official subtitles for Z and Kai, it was mistranslated as Bulma writing it on the time machine, but in the flashback this episode, Trunks said he wrote it, like he does in the Japanese version.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 am

Sean Schemmel is killing it as Goku Black
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:43 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:I noticed that they actually got who wrote "HOPE!!" on the time machine correct this time around.

In the dubs as well as the official subtitles for Z and Kai, it was mistranslated as Bulma writing it on the time machine, but in the flashback this episode, Trunks said he wrote it, like he does in the Japanese version.
Ah, I wondered if that was a dub continuity error.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:07 am

Black's speech to Trunks was perfectly done here. That was one of my favourite scenes in the entire arc.