Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 am

It's a fun time, and I'm more engaged with Dragon Ball than I was back in the day, so the new stuff is naturally what I gravitate toward. Plus, I like that it brings up new talking points with regard to lore, characters, production, themes, etc. I'd rather talk about that than go over the same over a decade-old discussions again and again.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 am

I love the show, independent of my feelings for the franchise. I wouldn't watch something just for the trademark, seems too shallow.
:clap:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 am

I enjoy Dragon Ball, and I genuinely enjoy Dragon Ball Super.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 am

Nostalgia I guess, I grew up with DBZ and I loved the hardcore vibe of it.
I also liked the drawing style better in comparison with DBS.

DBS is too much a watered down version of DBZ for my taste.
In other words, it became a show too much for 9 year olds instead of 16 year olds.

I only watch it sometimes in hoping that it gets better.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am

Because I'm curious to know how it will end up so I keep watching, even though I do skip some parts because its annoying me. And also because like the new characters, Zamasu, Jiren, Hit and Caulifla.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:45 am

It's NEW Dragon Ball stuff and Toriyama is involved! Why the hell wouldn't I watch it?

It's also a lot of fun. Love seeing these characters in action again.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 am

8bitdee wrote:But here it seems like people don't enjoy it at all, in fact they seem to hate it. It seems like every new thread here is to complain about something about the show rather than celebrate its existence.It's either that or those who do enjoy it are just more silent about it.
I'm definitely this, discussing the show is on here is like Jiren it's a wall you have to overcome and I just gave up months ago, can't remember the last time I contributed to a discussion thread.

There's people who take DB wayyyyy too seriously it's just a damn cartoon, people even go as far and curse out the people working on it saying things like they're lazy or don't care. If something as ridiculous as a cartoon boils your blood I think one needs to reevaluate themselves.

Ever since I stopped discussing the show in depth my enjoyment has exponentially increased. Bottom line if I'm enjoying watching episodes then that's why I continue to watch DBS. I didn't like U6 arc and dropped the show thereafter only to pick back up on a whim when the Trunks arc started and I haven't look back since.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 am

Episodes like 105 are what drives me not only to super but to the franchise as a whole.
A story being told through a fight and the theme of dragonball which is breaking your limits.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm gonna watch any kind of Dragon Ball there is (as long as Goku isn't a child so no DB or GT for me) because it's a piece of my childhood that I like to keep alive
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:It's NEW Dragon Ball stuff and Toriyama is involved! Why the hell wouldn't I watch it?

It's also a lot of fun. Love seeing these characters in action again.
Same and I'm curious how this will end since is kinda hard to predict.
Mostly active on discord.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Short answer: Morbid curiosity in seeing where an old favorite franchise is being taken.

Long answer: I actually don't really watch Super anymore. I mean, I technically do, but I haven't truly watched a full episode since I stopped back in 2016. I mostly just read episode breakdowns and watch clips of important events on YouTube purely for the sake of keeping up to date on what's happening. Misinformation is rampant in the DB community and even though I've pretty much checked out of Super (the anime at least), I still want to make sure I have all of my information in order for the sake of proper conversation. I need to know what happens so my knowledge and assessments stay accurate and informed during discussions.

I only keep up as much as I do because I have a vested interest in what happens to a cherished old franchise. If it were anything other than a series I've been invested in for most of my life, I would've just dropped it completely without a second thought. However, since I do have a strong connection to this franchise, I'd be remiss to just tune out and pay no attention to what happens to it. That, and I'm fairly content with the direction of the manga so far. That isn't to say that the manga is perfect either, it has several issues hard-baked into the backbone plot of Super that I really don't care for (namely the end of the Future Trunks arc, the retcons and the lackluster designs of the new transformations), but it hasn't done anything so offensive as to turn me away completely. It's not perfect, but it's inoffensive.

The anime on the other hand simply got to a point where the entertainment value was far outweighed by the sheer amount of glaring issues that got on my nerves. I was able to make it through the movie retellings despite all of the obvious problems (mostly, I think, because I felt like I could always default back to the movies for a proper rendition of the stories) and I really did like the Universe 6 tournament for the most part. I did have a problem with Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken horrifically bloating the power scale, but it was a neat concept and still had room for proper development at the time. It was the shoddy Copy Vegeta arc followed by the Future Trunks arc that ultimately did me in. The wild inconsistencies, arbitrary and poorly implemented power-ups, character feats and abilities all piled up over time, only to be capped off by the frustratingly depressing ending to the Future Trunks arc. After that, I had simply had enough. From that point on, I switched to primarily following the manga with no regrets.

The anime's rendition of the Universe Survival arc has done very little to rouse my interest beyond a couple of cool fights (mostly the fights involving Ultra Instinct) and continues to exacerbate most of the problems I already had with the anime to begin with. Plus, it can't retroactively fix my misgiving with the previous arcs anyway. I'll be sticking with the manga for the foreseeable future unless it too does something that ruins my enjoyment. So far, so good.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:00 pm

I watch it because for 20 minutes I can shut my brain off and watch something entertaining. I love a lot of what Super has done, I've had several problems with things Super has done. Let's just take for example the ToP. I have been very vocal about how, going into this arc, there was zero tension for me. When things in the arc didn't make sense, I brought that up. But by God I can't tell how many times I've gone back and watched moments from this arc over and over again on YouTube. I love this arc, I love the characters. I love Super

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 pm

I watch just to see what’s happening.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm

KingKaash wrote:I'm gonna watch any kind of Dragon Ball there is (as long as Goku isn't a child so no DB or GT for me) because it's a piece of my childhood that I like to keep alive
I can’t understand why you’d deliberately refuse to watch anything from the first 1/3 of the series.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

Because Dragon Ball is a part of my life. I remember watching DBZ Kai on Toonami back in the day, and trying (and failing) to beat my brother in Raging Blast 2. I want to see where the series goes.

I'm also interested about the production and animation. I'm curious as to how Toei is trying to dig themselves out of the hole that they made with the embarassingly bad pre-production of Super. I want to see the different artstyles and animation techniques that animators use.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 am

Curiosity regarding Toriyama's ideas for a continuation of the story, mostly, along with the pure inertia of having seen previous episodes at this point. I think I'll always be interested in seeing what Toriyama has planned, as a massive fan of his work, but Super has gotten to the point where I genuinely would be jumping off were it not ending this arc. The climax of this arc, in addition to its overall structure and scripting, has exacerbated everything I find grating about Super as it exists and as it's been written/produced under Toei (independent of its ideas), and I can only take so much.

So, to answer quick: curiosity and respect for its story planner, but also were it continuing I probably wouldn't be.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 am

Cipher wrote:Curiosity regarding Toriyama's ideas for a continuation of the story, mostly, along with the pure inertia of having seen previous episodes at this point. I think I'll always be interested in seeing what Toriyama has planned, as a massive fan of his work, but Super has gotten to the point where I genuinely would be jumping off were it not ending this arc. The climax of this arc, in addition to its overall structure and scripting, has exacerbated everything I find grating about Super as it exists and as it's been written/produced under Toei (independent of its ideas), and I can only take so much.

So, to answer quick: curiosity and respect for its story planner, but also were it continuing I probably wouldn't be.
Off topic,but what are you current manga arc?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Off topic,but what are you current manga arc?
Thoughts on the current manga arc?

Like the others, I expect it to be a decent one-and-done midquel story; fun enough fluff that builds on the previous Super arcs/recent movies. Nothing to write home about, but nothing offensive as extra material. Will probably wait to see how it reads when it's done/in a single sitting though.

I don't love any of the manga, but I think it's okay. I think the pacing and character beats are a better match to Toriyama's style and premises and that it's consistently read decently as a sequel to the two Toriyama movies.

Doesn't come within a football field of the original run though.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am

I want to see what happens.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am

I watch it because it's a pretty enjoyable experience. You have to remember, practically all of the English-speaking Dragon Ball fanbase that existed before Kai came out never got to experience watching a Dragon Ball TV show as it aired. So it's kind of like a dream come true that I can watch Super the same day it airs in Japan. It's just nice to have new Dragon Ball stuff to watch. Super has some flaws, but it's not garbage by any means and has enough nostalgia to make up for Goku getting his stamina back in 20 seconds or being able to go SSB from base Vegeta's last gasp of energy.