"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:14 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Why are people complaining that Goku finally Surpassed a God of Destruction - Beerus after 5 damn arcs!?
Sorry, but I didn't see anyone complaining but instead wanting to see a rematch between the two.
Which we can still see, since there is absolutely zero chance this is the last TV show for the series.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm

perucho1990 wrote:And its almost a given episode 131 will be Super reaching EoZ, they are already teasing a EoZ Goku figure(check the merchandise thread).
It's an upcoming figure for his new form. Herms confirmed it on twitter.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Well, Goku new form with EoZ clothes then.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:28 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:And its almost a given episode 131 will be Super reaching EoZ, they are already teasing a EoZ Goku figure(check the merchandise thread).
It's an upcoming figure for his new form. Herms confirmed it on twitter.
Can you find existing artwork that the silhouette could be of? He's clearly wearing his EoZ gi and has base form hair. I don't see why they would make new artwork like this if the figure isn't going to be anything like this.
Even if it is existing artwork I don't see why they'd pick that for the silhouette when there is plenty to pick from in the proper outfit, so either way it seems like an EoZ tease.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 pm

For the sake of discussion, now would be a great time to mention: Piccolo never had his rematch with Goku. While Vegeta did eventually get his rematch, the battle itself was a sideshow to the bigger picture - not to mention a huge downscale in girth and outcome. Their first fight felt like an outright war, whereas their rematch during the Boo arc felt like a grudge match with training wheels taped on. Should I even bother bringing up a Tenshinhan rematch?

The outcome of Goku being outright defeated by Beerus made no threat to the status quo. While the Earth was at risk of being hella hakai'd, what was gained by the end of the BoG arc? Some new lore and a new transformation. It's easy to anticipate a rematch coming further down the line - and that may not be out of the cards! Dragon Ball's televised run is not over. However, there is one big problem - conflict. The most iconic fights boil down to high stakes and two opposing forces clashing, for reasons beyond "hey, lets fight for funsies." Unless Beerus is outright pissed or Goku needs to scrape by to survive, seeing them duke it out without the context of "giving it their all" seems pointless to me.

As an aside, I would love to see an arc that would explore Beerus and Whis' background a little more, perhaps something or someone from his past would put him in a difficult situation that forces him to take out Goku - but hey, now I'm just in freakish wishful territory, making stuff up as I go. Super has three episodes left. We're donezo. I'm expecting the dumbest, cleanest, time-waster of an ending possible. At this point, attempting to tie itself into the EoZ without retconning it entirely would be the biggest slap in the face.

No, I'm not passive-aggressive about a TV show I've watched every week for close to three years now - why would you think that?
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Lunaar wrote:However, there is one big problem - conflict. The most iconic fights boil down to high stakes and two opposing forces clashing, for reasons beyond "hey, lets fight for funsies." Unless Beerus is outright pissed or Goku needs to scrape by to survive, seeing them duke it out without the context of "giving it their all" seems pointless to me.
Oh, don't worry about that. They've demonstrated that they're amazing at creating conflicts:
- I wan't to fight you because I had a vision and if you lose, I blow up your world because I was annoyed by not getting pudding, except jk I won't. lol
- I came back to kill you because I hate you so much, like the last two times I tried to kill you/your friends, nevermind those two totally overpowered friends of yours, who won't help you, except when they do exactly that. lol
- I wan't you to fight because otherwise you get transferred to a new universe and if that happens, I'm mad and it's not like I have a history of empty threats.lol
- Trunks has to protect the innocent because that's his big thing and he grows so much that he actually defeats that immortal leagues-above-him enemy (which has some real motives for a change!) through the power of hope, except he didn't really and everybody dies but on second thought Trunks doesn't really care too much about it after all and will just switch timeline and resolve that thing in a way we'll neither really explain or really show. lol
- The conflict is: You have to win the tournament or everybody dies because two children, who cannot be reasoned with, say so. lol

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 pm

The only way to continue the franchise now is to move to EOZ and do a next generation series. Finally:

Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub will be the new heroes. And maybe even Bra and Marron if they decide to make them fighters this time around. It'll be called "Dragonball: The Next Generation."

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Where are people getting that 17 is still in?

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:45 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Where are people getting that 17 is still in?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:45 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Where are people getting that 17 is still in?
Because the spoilers said so even if they have been wrong in the past,toei likes to “subvert” expectations.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 pm

If it's true that will really surprise me, and it will kind of take away from ep127. Not to mention it means the grand priest was wrong, which I would find weird.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:49 pm

dragon boss z wrote:If it's true that will really surprise me, and it will kind of take away from ep127. Not to mention it means the grand priest was wrong, which I would find weird.

He was wrong about Goku in 110.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm

SirTorra wrote:Its fucking ridiculous how rushed this feels. As much as I despise Super, it's still Dragonball and it deserves a proper send of. Having the climactic battle be one episode and then followed by the ending is purely moronic.
Except they've been fighting Jiren since Episode 122.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Bullza wrote:
SirTorra wrote:Its fucking ridiculous how rushed this feels. As much as I despise Super, it's still Dragonball and it deserves a proper send of. Having the climactic battle be one episode and then followed by the ending is purely moronic.
Except they've been fighting Jiren since Episode 122.
And the ending still feels rushed.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Bullza wrote:Except they've been fighting Jiren since Episode 122.
So? They've been fighting Freeza for some time before Goku turned SSJ and they still had a proper long battle after that, they've been fighting Cell for some time, before Gohan started fighting him and some more before he turned SSJ2 and we had the true finale. They've been fighting Buu for a ridiculously long time and the finale on the world of the Kais still had like 9 episodes or sth. like that. The finale is Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku vs. Jiren and that will be pretty short compared to the fights we are used to.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:03 pm

darzap wrote:
So? They've been fighting Freeza for some time before Goku turned SSJ and they still had a proper long battle after that, they've been fighting Cell for some time, before Gohan started fighting him and some more before he turned SSJ2 and we had the true finale. They've been fighting Buu for a ridiculously long time and the finale on the world of the Kais still had like 9 episodes or sth. like that. The finale is Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku vs. Jiren and that will be pretty short compared to the fights we are used to.
Because Super isn't based on a manga, it doesn't need to drag things out.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm

darzap wrote:
I really don't think SSJ2 is a proper example. You get Gohan beating him easily, then when he self-destructs and returns stronger it goes straight to a big Kamehameha clash. There was barely a real battle there. It still works since it's the culmination of Gohan's character up to that point, but if Super had a big climatic battle like that people would hate it.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm

I also want to be optimistic, but I feel it will be the end of the second life of Dragon Ball. (After the new movie, of course ...)
Now the franchise will be successful for years without any real, serious new story like 2002-2013.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Sani007 wrote:I also want to be optimistic, but I feel it will be the end of the second life of Dragon Ball. (After the new movie, of course ...)
Now the franchise will be successful for years without any real, serious new story like 2002-2013.
This is an irrational fear, let me quote myself.
ArchedThunder wrote:Are people seriously worried that this is the end of weekly Dragon Ball because of the final episode title is pretty much the same as GT?
Guys, Super being on air caused the money made on Dragon Ball to skyrocket and it's STILL going up.
We don't have the Q3 FY2018 results from Toei yet (Fiscal Year 2018 is April 2017-March 2018), but as of Q3 Bandai's results for the Dragon Ball IP are 65.4 billion yen, that's higher than their full year results for FY2017, and their forcast for full year is 96 billion. For Toei's Q2 (so half year) they were at 7,856 million, not far behind their full year results for FY2017, so they will likely end the fiscal year well above the last as well.
This is a business, the parties involved are making a lot of money and they don't hate money. Dragon Ball will be back on TV, likely not long after the new movie, only this time it will probably have a good production, meaning less money will have to be spent per episode (meaning better profits), but with better visual results and they will be able to more properly utilize the IP with movies and TV specials.
The money made during the "Movie only" part of the franchise's life doesn't even come close to comparing to what having a show on air did for the series.
If they are trying to send some hidden message with that final episode title, it's probably more a nod to the fact that we WILL see Goku again.
Dragon Ball will be back on TV after Kitaro is over, I have zero doubts about that. At MAXIMUM we'll have a new show in 2 years, but I honestly can't see the production committee (which is the same one as Kitaro btw) wanting the massive money maker that Dragon Ball has become again to stay off air for much more than a year.
I think it's very likely we'll see them try to replicate this success of F leading into Super, which would mean we'd probably have a new show starting next April, only this time it will be something that was planned much further ahead of time.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:48 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Sani007 wrote:I also want to be optimistic, but I feel it will be the end of the second life of Dragon Ball. (After the new movie, of course ...)
This is an irrational fear, let me quote myself.
ArchedThunder wrote:Are people seriously worried that this is the end of weekly Dragon Ball because of the final episode title is pretty much the same as GT?
Guys, Super being on air caused the money made on Dragon Ball to skyrocket and it's STILL going up.
We don't have the Q3 FY2018 results from Toei yet (Fiscal Year 2018 is April 2017-March 2018), but as of Q3 Bandai's results for the Dragon Ball IP are 65.4 billion yen, that's higher than their full year results for FY2017, and their forcast for full year is 96 billion. For Toei's Q2 (so half year) they were at 7,856 million, not far behind their full year results for FY2017, so they will likely end the fiscal year well above the last as well.
This is a business, the parties involved are making a lot of money and they don't hate money. Dragon Ball will be back on TV, likely not long after the new movie, only this time it will probably have a good production, meaning less money will have to be spent per episode (meaning better profits), but with better visual results and they will be able to more properly utilize the IP with movies and TV specials.
The money made during the "Movie only" part of the franchise's life doesn't even come close to comparing to what having a show on air did for the series.
If they are trying to send some hidden message with that final episode title, it's probably more a nod to the fact that we WILL see Goku again.
Dragon Ball will be back on TV after Kitaro is over, I have zero doubts about that. At MAXIMUM we'll have a new show in 2 years, but I honestly can't see the production committee (which is the same one as Kitaro btw) wanting the massive money maker that Dragon Ball has become again to stay off air for much more than a year.
I think it's very likely we'll see them try to replicate this success of F leading into Super, which would mean we'd probably have a new show starting next April, only this time it will be something that was planned much further ahead of time.
You shouldn’t speak s if you know. Financial success doesn’t mean that things will continue.
You having zero doubts is as reliable as any other fan stating it.