"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:So, we finally have a direct comparison between Nozawa & Schemmel as Goku Black from the Super dubs & I'd say it's easier to judge the performances with this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbFWmz ... ploademail
Schemmel hams it up really well while Nozawa keeps it extremely calm & low, but Schemmel's not far from that at the same time. I love it.
He finally sounds tolerable.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Did Goku Black go Rose yet in the dub? In the games he has that awful British accent when he transforms.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:09 am

precita wrote:Did Goku Black go Rose yet in the dub? In the games he has that awful British accent when he transforms.

Not yet.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am

precita wrote:Did Goku Black go Rose yet in the dub? In the games he has that awful British accent when he transforms.
That eloquent and/or cultivated accent (depending on your view) is te official Rosé voice

As I said a few weeks ago; there’s no point in continuously complaining about it now, considering there’s absolutely nothing any of us can do, much less control

Pathetic as Schemmel’s explanation for it is, it’ll do just fine. In the years to come, it’ll be a point of contention, but most will inevitably just get used to it and subsequently build a bridge

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Episode 53 to hear James Marsters David Gray as Zamasu

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 am

You can definitely start to hear the British accent coming through already, the voice is a bit inconsistent to be honest although I like what I've seen so far.

Yeah, sure there's nothing we can do about it but I think what pisses me off the most about the whole Rosé British accent thing is Schemmel's explanation which makes absolutely zero sense. I know he often talks about other people telling him how to do his job, but headcanon, and more specifically completely nonsensical headcanon shouldn't be part of his job description if you ask me.

As someone else pointed out a few pages ago, Super Saiyan Rosé is where Black starts to become less like Zamasu and more like Goku. Him becoming more like Zamasu when he goes SSR doesn't make a lick of sense because he was Zamasu to begin with, how could he become more like himself?

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Asura wrote:You can definitely start to hear the British accent coming through already, the voice is a bit inconsistent to be honest although I like what I've seen so far.

Yeah, sure there's nothing we can do about it but I think what pisses me off the most about the whole Rosé British accent thing is Schemmel's explanation which makes absolutely zero sense. I know he often talks about other people telling him how to do his job, but headcanon, and more specifically completely nonsensical headcanon shouldn't be part of his job description if you ask me.

As someone else pointed out a few pages ago, Super Saiyan Rosé is where Black starts to become less like Zamasu and more like Goku. Him becoming more like Zamasu when he goes SSR doesn't make a lick of sense because he was Zamasu to begin with, how could he become more like himself?
I don’t mind it. I think it’s kinda cool how it’s slowly creeping in. it’s almost as if the more Zamasu gets comfortable with Gokus body, the more he makes it his own. Power wise and vocally.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
Asura wrote:You can definitely start to hear the British accent coming through already, the voice is a bit inconsistent to be honest although I like what I've seen so far.

I don’t mind it. I think it’s kinda cool how it’s slowly creeping in. it’s almost as if the more Zamasu gets comfortable with Gokus body, the more he makes it his own. Power wise and vocally.
But that’s the thing, the more he gets comfortable with Goku’s body the more he starts becoming and acting like Goku, crazed for battle. He doesn’t start slowly getting disinterested in fighting or anything like that.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:06 am

A bit random, but if Funimation gets to dubbing Boogie Back or Lagrima, it would be cool if they somehow got Stephanie Nadolny to perform it. She does sing after all, and did a few OP/EDs for Funimation shows back in the day (ex. Case Closed).

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:09 am

Asura wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:

But that’s the thing, the more he gets comfortable with Goku’s body the more he starts becoming and acting like Goku, crazed for battle. He doesn’t start slowly getting disinterested in fighting or anything like that.
Right. I agree with that. What I meant was that his vocal cords start changing as an indication that he’s getting use to Gokus body. Right now he sounds like Goku, but the more he learns and adjusts, he naturally starts sounding similar to his Zamasu voice (maybe?). It’s not something the Japanese anime did, but I don’t mind it happening In English. If it even does.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 am

mint0h wrote:A bit random, but if Funimation gets to dubbing Boogie Back or Lagrima, it would be cool if they somehow got Stephanie Nadolny to perform it. She does sing after all, and did a few OP/EDs for Funimation shows back in the day (ex. Case Closed).
Yeah we never going to see her do anything for Funimation
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

The Patrolman wrote:Yeah we never going to see her do anything for Funimation
It's a shame tho, I loved her Gohan/Kid Goku
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Same
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 am

I personally can't wait to hear the official English voice of Zamasu, my favourite character in Dragon Ball. I wonder if we will hear his voice this week in the preview for episode 53.
My personal interpretation is that when Goku Black taps into Super Saiyan Rosé, he figuratively 'returns' to his roots as a deity, since Rosé is a divine transformation triggered by Black's natural godly ki (he is Zamasu). I guess the British accent is an indication of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:So, we finally have a direct comparison between Nozawa & Schemmel as Goku Black from the Super dubs & I'd say it's easier to judge the performances with this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbFWmz ... ploademail
Schemmel hams it up really well while Nozawa keeps it extremely calm & low, but Schemmel's not far from that at the same time. I love it.
He finally sounds tolerable.
He sounded fine as Black from episode 47

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Me too. Sad that she and Sabat apparently cut ties on bad terms

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Huh, that explains why she only reprised the role in Raging Blast and not in other appearances after that game and why Sabat was very proud of casting Colleen for the part.

But she is not the first one Sabat screwed over. There's also Dale Kelly A.K.A The Original FUNi Ginyu and Narrator.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Tian wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Huh, that explains why she only reprised the role in Raging Blast and not in other appearances after that game and why Sabat was very proud of casting Colleen for the part.

But she is not the first one Sabat screwed over. There's also Dale Kelly A.K.A The Original FUNi Ginyu and Narrator.
That was much less Sabat's doing and more Daniel Coconaugher's doing
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Tian wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

What happened with him?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Tian wrote:

What happened with him?
This thread explains it all :
viewtopic.php?t=36881

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Hold on a minute... (not sure this has been noted already) from episode 51, I just realized... those moves that Goku Black used while learning to adopt Goku's moves... THEY ARE THE SAME MOVES GOKU USES IN ULTRA INSTINCT (Goku's Hiken [the air punching move he used on Kefla] and God Awakening Performance [the one armed spherical ki attack Black uses] in XV2)