"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 pm

precita wrote:The only way Dragonball can continue with a new series is the obvious jump to EOZ with the next generation of heroes.

Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, (and maybe Bra/Marron), can be the new main fighters with Gohan as their leader/mentor. Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat. It will be up to the next generation to defend the Earth and the original heroes will be retired to the bahamas.
Why is that? They can easily introduced some new enemy that is even above the Angels and Zeno lol.

They can have GP say oh this is but a sector of the infinite universes etc. And boom, even stronger enemies.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Having so called perfect UI be beat by anybody is a bag of Mr shit baked donuts, UI's nature itself is completely avoiding any and all danger and complete UI hits hard as well, you just can't compete with that, unless that hitting harder part is done better by another perfect UI user..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Having so called perfect UI be beat by anybody is a bag of Mr shit baked donuts, UI's nature itself is completely avoiding any and all danger and complete UI hits hard as well, you just can't compete with that, unless that hitting harder part is done better by another perfect UI user..
Whis can't beat the Grand Priest despite having UI. So you can beat someone with UI if you have it yourself at the very least.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:13 pm

precita wrote:The only way Dragonball can continue with a new series is the obvious jump to EOZ with the next generation of heroes.

Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, (and maybe Bra/Marron), can be the new main fighters with Gohan as their leader/mentor. Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat. It will be up to the next generation to defend the Earth and the original heroes will be retired to the bahamas.
Another option is that if Toriyama still doesnt want to go beyond EoZ then just have Daishinkan pulls an Enrico Pucci(Jojo fans will understand this) so we can get a fresh, new DB series.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm

perucho1990 wrote:

Another option is that if Toriyama still doesnt want to go beyond EoZ then just have Daishinkan pulls an Enrico Pucci(Jojo fans will understand this) so we can get a fresh, new DB series.
Toriyama doesn't have the balls to do even half of that

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:21 pm

OverHeaven wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

Why is a creator not doing something always called 'not having balls'?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Having so called perfect UI be beat by anybody is a bag of Mr shit baked donuts, UI's nature itself is completely avoiding any and all danger and complete UI hits hard as well, you just can't compete with that, unless that hitting harder part is done better by another perfect UI user..
Just like everything else in db,yes it can be beaten if your power level is bigger.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:39 pm

I can assure you that Toriyama will do little to nothing with Trunks and Goten if we get a new story/arc(s) after EoZ. Based on the Buu Arc and all of Super, Marron doesn't seem like she will be doing much martial arts (as if we were shown to her doing any in the first place). Based on EoZ, it looks like Bra won't be doing much either (though it can be argued as in EoZ she was just on the sidelines). On the other hand, I think Bra may have some potential, but that's up to Toriyama if he wants to go more in-depth with Bra. Pan also has some potential, actually, she has huge potential! Not only from her martial art fighting bloodlines, but from also the fact that she was already seen to be flying across the world in such a short period of time, as well as already being a good enough fighter for a kid her age. Uub is already self-explanatory. It will be such a disappointment if Toriyama does not expand on someone as important as Uub, heck Toriyama made Uub seem like such a big deal with making Goku all ecstatic to go train him. If Toriyama does expand on Uub's strength, I can already predict Uub either getting stronger, and/or getting God ki, or getting Ultra Instinct "offscreen" as Toriyama is known for having characters develop strength wise and/or achieve transformations "offscreen." Examples include, Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Goten, and Gohan.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:42 pm

HeroR wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Idk about your "always" but it is a fact regarding pulling an "Enrico Pucci" and you know it. It's not like he won't do it, it's more like he can't do it.
At this point, it became clear that this is the"Goku and Vegeta" show. He couldn't do it with Gohan, so there is zero chance of doing a new series with new characters that never appeared before. After all, this series is only living and succeeding thanks to its known name and iconic characters.
Indeed, Toriyama and Toei don't have the balls to do such a risky move with their shitty writing. Easy money is all that matters

Also I'm sure "not having balls" isn't that much of an offense, there is no need to try defending Toriyama or Toei and getting annoyed by every little thing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:49 pm

OverHeaven wrote: Idk about your "always" but it is a fact regarding pulling an "Enrico Pucci" and you know it. It's not like he won't do it, it's more like he can't do it.
At this point, it became clear that this is the"Goku and Vegeta" show. He couldn't do it with Gohan, so there is zero chance of doing a new series with new characters that never appeared before. After all, this series is only living and succeeding thanks to its known name and iconic characters.
Indeed, Toriyama and Toei don't have the balls to do such a risky move with their shitty writing. Easy money is all that matters

Also I'm sure "not having balls" isn't that much of an offense, there is no need to try defending Toriyama or Toei and getting annoyed by every little thing.
Not pulling an "Enrico Pucci" doesn't strikes me of 'having no balls'. More like, the author just don't want to do it. I mean, we could say Toriyama not killing the entire cast and following U11 for now on is lacking 'balls' too.

Also, the "series is only living and succeeding thanks to its known name and iconic characters" is weird given all the new characters it introduced.

Finally, another pet peeve, the 'defending Toriyama or Toei'. Because disagreeing on a point is always 'defending' someone. No, you just can't disagree.
Kanassa wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

HeroR wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
It's a catchy phrase and I think that's why it's stuck around, but it's got an outdated origin if I think about it; the idea of equating having testicles to having inherent bravery. Most people don't choose to have balls, and you can obviously be brave without them.

Maybe "he doesn't have the gumption to do it" or "he doesn't have that kind of fire in his belly" are more well rounded and less offensive phrases, but again just not as catchy as saying the word "balls".

I think "guts" is the closest you can get, but it doesn't sound blunt enough? A creator not having the guts to go through with something.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:
HeroR wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:
It's a catchy phrase and I think that's why it's stuck around, but it's got an outdated origin if I think about it; the idea of equating having testicles to having inherent bravery. Most people don't choose to have balls, and you can obviously be brave without them.

Maybe "he doesn't have the gumption to do it" or "he doesn't have that kind of fire in his belly" are more well rounded and less offensive phrases, but again just not as catchy as saying the word "balls".

I think "guts" is the closest you can get, but it doesn't sound blunt enough? A creator not having the guts to go through with something.
I think the term originated from the fact that "having balls" means having a good amount of testosterone, which is a hormone that can make people more likely to take risks.

Anyway, I too think that Toei and Toriyama don't have the balls to take risks like that... they'll always place all their effort on Goku and Vegeta no matter what.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind some more of a focus on the minor characters (new ones and the ones that were left in the dust). As long as it makes sense. But yeah, Goku and Vegeta are probably the easiest way to make money for them.
Last edited by GamerSkull on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Chuquita wrote:
HeroR wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:

The term 'not having the balls' isn't offensive, but using it wrong when a creator makes a creative decision you don't like is just plain stupid.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 pm

perucho1990 wrote:

Would be a nice twist if that was the result of the final wish.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
HeroR wrote:

The term 'not having the balls' isn't offensive, but using it wrong when a creator makes a creative decision you don't like is just plain stupid.
I think HeroR meant it as a facetious remark, but either way, I agree that an author not wanting to do something being equated with lack of courage is ridiculous.
And it's these 'ballsy" moves that are then often times seen as the story jumping the shark.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Seeing the kinds of ideas that get posted here makes me a lot more appreciative of Super's admittedly mediocre writing.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Writing this once a day to this thread doesn't make it true. There are a ton of stories than can be told with Goku and Vegeta about visiting other universes, improving their fighting capabilities in ways beyond Ultra Instinct, facing problems that can not be resolved solely by fighting, etc. Also, what the next generation be doing? Unlocking SSJ2, SSJ3, SSG, SSG and Ultra Instinct? Because seeing somebody going a way that has been gone before doesn't seem terribly interesting.
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Seeing the kinds of ideas that get posted here makes me a lot more appreciative of Super's admittedly mediocre writing.
I don't think the biggest problem with Super is not the lack of good ideas, but the execution (regular introduction of Deus Ex Machina/Plot convenience concepts, foreshadowing that goes nowhere, retconcs, inconsistencies, time issues, power scaling issues, just to name the worst offenders).
Last edited by darzap on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Re: balls

Makes sense. I'm not personally offended by it; language itself is something I find really interesting and I misunderstood that they weren't actually asking about the term's origin. Wondering how phrases came about is fun. There's not always a clear-cut history to all of them because much has been lost to time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:24 pm

darzap wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Seeing the kinds of ideas that get posted here makes me a lot more appreciative of Super's admittedly mediocre writing.
I don't think the biggest problem with Super is not the lack of good ideas, but the execution (regular introduction of Deus Ex Machina/Plot convenience concepts, foreshadowing that goes nowhere, retconcs, inconsistencies, time issues, power scaling issues, just to name the worst offenders).
That's exactly what I mean, the concepts introduced in Super are infinitely better than these bizarre "next gen" suggestions. I wouldn't even care about DB if it followed some no name like Uub.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:If sales are an indicator of quality, then Call of Duty is the best video game of all time.
I think you meant Grand Theft Auto, man.
HeroR wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Snippets for the Future Trunks and Tournament of Power soundtracks have been released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1cokp8WQfo&feature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHJIOvMMH8

They sound amazing!!!!!! There are even some never before heard Future Trunks soundtracks that have never been used in the show for some reason :p

Remember, the soundtrack(s) officially release on February 28th, which is in only a couple of days!
It's good to have official names for these tracks, finally.
Yes! Though it would be "sad if 'Desperate Assault' has a different track name lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.