"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:55 pm

So Jiren is an asshole hero and a wife beater :?... :lol:
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Apparently, someone went and extracted clips from the latest Xenoverse 2 update. Meet dub Jiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeGtKlFlHiM

Not bad if legit. Kind of sounds more like I'd expect Toppo to sound though.
Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.
Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.
Yeah, it sounds like his Franky voice, but not as wild.

Also, here's Fu. Anyone have an idea of who it is? I feel like I recognize him. Maybe Micah Silusod doing a variation of his Coby voice from One Piece?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvtL44cOtg0

Here's a clip with him from One Piece as Coby. It sounds like him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqEm2aaXKE.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.
Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.

Also, here's Fu. Anyone have an idea of who it is? I feel like I recognize him. Maybe Micah Silusod doing a variation of his Coby voice from One Piece?

Here's a clip with him from One Piece as Coby. It sounds like him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqEm2aaXKE.
More Endeavor from MHA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQ3jy_ArPA
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.

I recognize the voice too but can't quite but my finger on it. Doesn't sound like Michah tbh.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:43 pm

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Fu has already grown on me. He's great.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:What's up with Eric Vales voice nowadays? It's beyond raspy and makes me feel uncomfortable. His performance In Z was way better, It sounded natural too.
Probably age?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:What's up with Eric Vales voice nowadays? It's beyond raspy and makes me feel uncomfortable. His performance In Z was way better, It sounded natural too.
Probably age?
I really don't agree. He's still a really good actor. Maybe it's that his Trunks voice has been highly influenced by how he's voiced Sanji for the last 11 years now. His Sanji gets REALLY raspy. He usually differentiates them by doing a slightly lower ragister with it, but they're based on the same voice tone. He's far from being able to still portray Trunks, but I get people's annoyance with the rasp in his voice.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 pm

He's getting old...

We're all getting old...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:10 am

Apparently Vale smoked for a while so that's how his Trunks voice in Kai turned out.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 am

HeroR wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:I don’t care that much for dub,but I heard that piccolos actor in evolution is the voice actor for zamasu,is that right?
Indeed, it would seem that he enjoys playing the role of green villains.
I think it's more that he doesn't want Dragon Ball fans to forever remember him as Piccolo from that terrible movie. Although, I've heard Piccolo was actual very good and was the only positive. So, there's that.
The biggest problem was the story itself.His piccolo was demon-ish from what little I remember of English vesion.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whaaaaaat. A flashblack/plot point to the Copy Vegeta arc? But but but I thought it was "filler"?
It IS filler. DBZ referenced filler too

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:18 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whaaaaaat. A flashblack/plot point to the Copy Vegeta arc? But but but I thought it was "filler"?
It's a plot point that actually ties to the main story going on about Bulma making the blue energy.

There is no filler in DBS that is just absurd, it has no source material it's not adapting anything.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
It's a plot point that actually ties to the main story going on about Bulma making the blue energy.

There is no filler in DBS that is just absurd, it has no source material it's not adapting anything.
That's incorrect. Filler =/= non canon.
I knew you were the antagonistic type who didn't actually understand what filler meant.
DBS is adapting things, it adapts Toriyama's outline. And in between his scripts, to buy time we get padding aka filler.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: It IS filler. DBZ referenced filler too

That's incorrect. Filler =/= non canon.
I knew you were the antagonistic type who didn't actually understand what filler meant.
DBS is adapting things, it adapts Toriyama's outline. And in between his scripts, to buy time we get padding aka filler.
I wouldn't say the short filler arcs/slice-of-life episodes are necessarily padding. The filler arcs move at their own, usually decent, pace & aren't really in the way of anything, since you can easily skip over them if you binge them. Padding is what Z did all the time, with useless scenes that were only there to make sure the anime didn't overtake the manga. But, then again, I guess that might be a matter of opinion, since there are a lot of people who still prefer Z over Kai, even though Kai has minimal filler & moves at a faster, & better, pace with the large chunks of filler removed. Super even has chestnuts like extending or pacing slower scenes from the Battle of Gods movie as a means of padding out the story of a 2-hour movie to nearly 6. Resurrection F's arc kind of had it too, but less than the preceding one, thankfully.
As there's a difference between "filler" & "non-canon," so is there "filler" & "padding." Filler is in something to reach a certain quota, whether it's time or number of episodes or something while padding is the result of the useless & boring type of filler. Like, I could say Green Day's 2012 album trilogy feels like it has a lot of filler on it as a result of them cranking out over 35 songs in one short timespan. Whether or not a lot of that filler is padding is up to personal feelings, since I much enjoyed a lot of the songs in the trilogy, but I can understand if someone else didn't. I mean, Cowboy Bebop also has episodes that can be considered filler, but being an episodic show, is it good or bad filler? If it's bad, then it's padding. If not, it's filler, but enjoyable filler. In fact, there's some early One Piece chapters & episodes that feel like filler. There's, literally, an episode where the main characters Luffy, Nami, & Zorro go to an island with a short man that, when I watched the anime for the first time, I felt that it was filler by Toei, but then I read the manga & it was in there to my surprise. Same with the Davy Back Fights Arc that came right before the Water 7 Arc. It felt like filler, & the opposing pirate crew does only appear in filler episodes of the anime afterwards, but people could easily call it filler, but I very much enjoyed it.
The filler episodes also set things up beforehand that you may not suspect are gonna come back, which is a nice little touch, like the blue fuel for the time machine, or Goku's body going all whack from how it reacted to Kaioken Blue, so it's not like they're completely worthless either.
I get that this might seem like a semantics argument, but I think you're being a bit harsh on the filler mini-arcs.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Just use context when you see the word filler. Obviously there is 'true' filler, content that is created with the purpose of stalling for time so the manga can release. But because of the often poor and inconsequential nature of filler content, people also use the word filler to talk about episodes that are also often poor or inconsequential. I really don't want to see the 'there is no filler in Super' explanation again, its obviously there isn't really but there are surely episodes that could be skipped without consequence.

To get back on topic a bit, Vale really struggled to deliver all the small awkward Trunks moments, just never really felt right. He definitely seemed to handle that stuff much better in the original dub.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:46 pm

To me there is two definitions of filler. The first means fluff that can be cut out without missing anything. The second specifically refers to stuff added by (for example) manga to anime adaptions to either fill up the episode run time or keep it from overtaking the manga. There can be filler that fits both categories, or stuff that fits one, but not the other. Here's two examples from the Pilaf saga. The Boss Rabbit stuff almost qualifies for the first category (the biggest thing that happened was the change in Bulma's outfit). IMO an example of the second is all of the appearances of the Pilaf Gang before Goku and co head toward his palace. The way it's implemented IMO doesn't allow for a clean removal of all of it, as the Pilaf gang has been tracking Goku's progress and explicitly mentions a "monkey boy" who has at least one dragon ball.

Sometimes Kai cuts filler that's impossible to remove entirely in Z, like the incident with the Space Orphans. Kai changes the dialogue so Bulma doesn't refer to the shortcut the orphan captain revealed to her as she, Krillin and Gohan reach (real) Namek. That being said, all the Fake Namek stuff can be removed without any issues.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:19 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Apparently Vale smoked for a while so that's how his Trunks voice in Kai turned out.
I'm told he only did it to make his Sanji voice have a slight smokers rasp. For what it's worth, future Trunks was seen smoking in the manga, so it's not unfitting.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Don't know if I should've posted this here, or in the Xenoverse 2 thread, but in the dub for the new DLC story for that game, they changed the pronunciation of "Tapion" back to how it's said in the original Japanese from "Tape-ion" to "Tap-ion," since his name's a pun on tapioca pudding.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:02 am

Can I just kindly put a request that people stop complaining about Eric Vale's voice for Trunks. It's been like 14 years since he recorded the end of GT.

Of course age (and taking up smoking) are going to affect what his vocal chords sound like. Just be glad he reprised the role ffs