As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 am

Muffin Man wrote:I also don't miss the inconsistency caused by Pikkon OHKOing Super Perfect Cell and then evenly matching SSj Goku.
Depending on how long Goku has spent in Other World at that point (haven't seen that arc) it may actually be plausible, since Super Saiyan is really just a multiplier on one's base power, not a "jump to XX,000 battle power" shortcut. Basically, Goku could have done intense training in Other World and ramped up his base battle power.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:21 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:It's even worse if you don't have nostalgia for it. I can get through Yugioh's dub easier than I can get through Z's.
Well, Yu-Gi-Oh's dub's problems were almost entirely down to censorship; the acting was solid, the replacement score was fine... If it wasn't for the censorship, it'd be a pretty good dub overall.
You ever see the short run uncut dub of the show? It was pretty good.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 am

Scsigs wrote:You ever see the short run uncut dub of the show? It was pretty good.
Yeah, it was pretty awesome. I just wish they'd actually followed through on it, and done the whole run.

Honestly, to this day, I still kinda hope it eventually gets picked up for a proper, uncut dub with the original main cast returning.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:You ever see the short run uncut dub of the show? It was pretty good.
Yeah, it was pretty awesome. I just wish they'd actually followed through on it, and done the whole run.

Honestly, to this day, I still kinda hope it eventually gets picked up for a proper, uncut dub with the original main cast returning.
For that to happen, Konami & 4K Media will have to reconcile the fact that not only do kids like the franchise, but older people too, especially those who grew up with the earlier shows.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Scsigs wrote:For that to happen, Konami & 4K Media will have to reconcile the fact that not only do kids like the franchise, but older people too, especially those who grew up with the earlier shows.
True.

Still, I think the potential for some big fat stacks of cash may dull a lot of their concerns in that area.

The show subbed and dubbed uncut on a new DVD release are individually probably things a ton of fans have been clamouring for for years. People would probably lose their minds over a DVD boxset that does both of these things.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:For that to happen, Konami & 4K Media will have to reconcile the fact that not only do kids like the franchise, but older people too, especially those who grew up with the earlier shows.
True.

Still, I think the potential for some big fat stacks of cash may dull a lot of their concerns in that area.

The show subbed and dubbed uncut on a new DVD release are individually probably things a ton of fans have been clamouring for for years. People would probably lose their minds over a DVD boxset that does both of these things.
Hell, there's 3 episodes that were recorded after the 3rd volume came out for a 4th, but it was cancelled because 4Kids wanted to take out the competition between themselves & only went with their dub-only DVD releases, so there IS seemingly a market for uncut Yugioh with the sub. Even with Dark Side of Dimensions, people complained that the subtitles weren't for the Japanese audio & the distributors went through with replacements. Even Bonds Beyond Time has its Japanese dub on it, plus they're making the original Yugioh available on Crunchyroll uncut & subbed, they just need the last 2 seasons, while the rest have all been released in their entireties on the service, so they ARE realizing the market for that slowly. Most of the actors are based out of NYC anyways, so it'd be good if they could get them back for an uncut project at some point & finish what 4Kids started over a decade ago. Though, apparently, a few things hold such releases of the Japanese audio back like the agency of Yugi's VA being very restrictive of the use of his recordings & maybe the cost of the music, since 4Kids never kept any of it in their dubs, so that'll have to be sorted out, but it can be done if they tried.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:I also don't miss the inconsistency caused by Pikkon OHKOing Super Perfect Cell and then evenly matching SSj Goku.
Depending on how long Goku has spent in Other World at that point (haven't seen that arc) it may actually be plausible, since Super Saiyan is really just a multiplier on one's base power, not a "jump to XX,000 battle power" shortcut. Basically, Goku could have done intense training in Other World and ramped up his base battle power.
The anime portrays it as though this happens immediately after Goku and King Kai arrive in the main part of other world after travelling from where King Kai's planet used to be. There's no time skip where Goku is training for the tournament.

And late DBZ has Goku starting to hit diminishing returns, anyway. Saiyans need to achieve new forms in order to make significant gains, that's why Goku couldn't just train his regular base form to match Cell or Buu. And if Goku is stronger than SSj2 Gohan as a regular SSj, then it makes no sense for Vegeta to say "at least you're stronger than Gohan was against Cell" when he turns SSj2 if his regular SSj was already stronger in the first place.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Muffin Man wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
The anime portrays it as though this happens immediately after Goku and King Kai arrive in the main part of other world after travelling from where King Kai's planet used to be. There's no time skip where Goku is training for the tournament.
Gotcha, yep, it doesn't make sense!

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:48 am

KBABZ wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Depending on how long Goku has spent in Other World at that point (haven't seen that arc) it may actually be plausible, since Super Saiyan is really just a multiplier on one's base power, not a "jump to XX,000 battle power" shortcut. Basically, Goku could have done intense training in Other World and ramped up his base battle power.
Gotcha, yep, it doesn't make sense!
Yeah that always confused me as a kid and could never make sense of it. I remember being 10 years old (back in 2000) and wondering how Goku could not only stand a chance against Pikkon but beat him. We just saw Goku go all out fighting Cell and all of a sudden he overcomes that barrier shortly afterwards. I think I just shrugged it off back then and didn’t think too much about it. Now I see that Toei just made a mess of things.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 am

Pikkon being able to beat Freeza and Cell that easy was so stupid. But I digress.

As for the original question yes honestly. It's really hard for me sit through the Z in-house funi dub nowadays when Kai has better music (at least until they lazily replace it with Kikuchi's recycled stuff and hastily throw it together) and a much quick pace and far superior voice acting. Oddly enough I can still enjoy the Saban/Ocean Group/Funimation collab dub for what it is a dumb saturday morning cartoon ala Thundercats or He-man plus the voice acting is really good there eve if a lot of the lines are cringe. But if I'm trying to watch a GOOD dubbed anime than I'm gonna watch Dragon Ball Z Kai.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:57 pm

When it comes to dubs, yeah. I like Kai more (still don't own it though. I haven't even finished it either. :( )

When it comes to the japanese, I like Z better. So I just swap between the two depending on which I'm watching.

So it's replaced the Z dub, I guess. But it hasn't replaced the Z sub.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am

GamerSkull wrote:When it comes to dubs, yeah. I like Kai more (still don't own it though. I haven't even finished it either. :( )

When it comes to the japanese, I like Z better. So I just swap between the two depending on which I'm watching.

So it's replaced the Z dub, I guess. But it hasn't replaced the Z sub.
Same here. Overall I prefer the Japanese version of anything Dragon Ball. But watching Kai in Japanese seems a but silly to me. Partly because the voice actors seemed to be phoning it in at times. Not really a fan of Japanese BoG either. RoF forward is great though. But that gives me an excuse to run down nostalgia lane occasionally by watching the Kai dub, with actors I've known since I was a kid/teenager, but with actual good voice acting.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:21 am

Thats gonna have to be a firm no for me. I have to say that for the most part I prefer the original funi dub voices. I know it got real old for Chris Sabat to have to voice so many characters but I think he does a great job of making all his characters distinct I mean I can always recognize all of his voices now but thats because I follow so many voice actors. I can definitely understand peoples gripes with Linda Young as it's not very accurate to the original but I dunno it never bothered me. For me it's always going bother me though to not hear Stephanie Nadolny as Gohan/Goku and Tiffany Vollmer as Bulma. I just really think that Colleen's Gohan sounds too feminine like I don't really ever forget that hes voiced by a female and I understand why she took that approach because Gohan is a much more sensitive and reserved character but to me she could have put a bit more rasp in it. I think the raspiness was probably what put some people off with Stephanie because they felt it didn't sound natural to them but it's never going to sound totally natural without child actors of which Funimation pretty much never uses. I can totally understand where people think Saffron Henderson is the best Gohan and I agree she does a good job with it she is definitely a good middle ground between Steph and Colleen but my fave is Stephanie. Colleen isn't my favorite Android 18 either she kind of makes 18 sound like a mean rich girl I notice in the final chapters she lays off of the sort of feline type voice she did before so it sounds better later imho but I was still glad that Meredith Mccoy got to reprise her role for Super. I know Tiffany Vollmer is the one that people seem to miss least but the slight valley girl voice she does is fine it in my opinion it perfectly expresses Bulma's dual nature yes she is a genius with a big attitude and a big heart and sense of adventure but she is also super vain and selfish. I think Monica Rial is a good voice actress but I prefer it when she plays really young characters or weird ones with weird voices for me she is too nasally and high pitched for Bulma it makes her sound too whiney. I thought Tiffany was perfect all across the board as a young Bulma and an older one.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 am

Blondiebear_17 wrote:Thats gonna have to be a firm no for me. I have to say that for the most part I prefer the original funi dub voices. I know it got real old for Chris Sabat to have to voice so many characters but I think he does a great job of making all his characters distinct I mean I can always recognize all of his voices now but thats because I follow so many voice actors.
I disagree. Just the other day I was watching clips on Youtube of the Dragon Ball dub and his King Piccolo sounds exactly like Vegeta. Like, why would you reuse the same voice you use for your most prominent character for a major arc villain?

I can definitely understand peoples gripes with Linda Young as it's not very accurate to the original but I dunno it never bothered me.
Being accurate isn't the issue, at least, not with me. Ian Corlett's Goku isn't accurate to Masako Nozawa's Goku but he's still the best damn english Goku. Sean Schemmel's Goku isn't accurate either but it's at least.....well up to acceptable levels by late-era Z/Kai

The problem is just Young's Freeza is awful.

Even Pauline Newstone, who Young's Freeza is based off of, does a good job voicing this gender ambiguous ahem freaky alien genotype that I assume Ocean was going for.

ahem
For me it's always going bother me though to not hear Stephanie Nadolny as Gohan/Goku and Tiffany Vollmer as Bulma. I just really think that Colleen's Gohan sounds too feminine like I don't really ever forget that hes voiced by a female and I understand why she took that approach because Gohan is a much more sensitive and reserved character but to me she could have put a bit more rasp in it.
She's voicing a 4-year old. When people say she made Gohan sound like a girl I wonder if people have ever heard a real life 4-year old boy . They tend to have very high pitched girly voices. I'm really glad she didn't do a rasp. Between Vegeta's rasp, and Piccolo's rasp, and Vollmer's Valley Girl rasp, and Young's Freeza smoke 30 packs a day old woman rasp, and Nadolny's Gohan little boy who start chain smoking when he was 6 voice there was a lot of rasp going on in the old Funi dub.

I think the raspiness was probably what put some people off with Stephanie because they felt it didn't sound natural to them but it's never going to sound totally natural without child actors of which Funimation pretty much never uses.
There are plenty of female voice actors who can do GOOD little boy voices that sound like or close to little boys and not chain smokers. Barbara Goodson, Wendee Lee, Veronica Taylor, Saffron Henderson....and that's just some names off my head that do anime voices. You have a woman do a little boy voice without making sound like he has lung cancer.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm one of the guys who vastly prefers Nadolny's Kid Goku and Gohan to Clickenbeard's. Though very different from Nozawa, Nadolny's Kid Goku was perfect and captured the spirit of the original character excellently. Path to Power is a great example of her work as Kid Goku, had the script not been watered down so bad her performance would have shined even more. As far as I'm concerned, Nadolny is still the definitive voice of Kid Goku, being as she is still the voice you hear in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT, which comprises 200+ episodes of Dragon Ball content. I preferred her Gohan as well, so adjusting to that difference when watching Kai took some time. Having said that, I now default to Kai when watching the dub, and I do prefer Ayres' Freeza to Young's. The DB Kai and DB Super dubs are the best Dragon Ball dubs ever released by FUNimation IMO. If they hadn't changed and censored so much of the dialog in the Dragon Ball dub then it would be right up there with Kai and Super in terms of quality. When watching the sub, I would rather watch the original Japanese versions because that's when the voice actors were in their prime (and in some cases, still alive :( ) . The only point Kai really serves for me is as a better version of the dub. Which is ironic, really, because DBZ fans raised hell over so many episodes being cut out of the edited dub way back in the day--and many fans raised hell about cropping the picture too--and both these things were purposefully done to the Kai dub :lolno:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:27 am

Ryuji-Otogi wrote:I'm one of the guys who vastly prefers Nadolny's Kid Goku and Gohan to Clickenbeard's. Though very different from Nozawa, Nadolny's Kid Goku was perfect and captured the spirit of the original character excellently. Path to Power is a great example of her work as Kid Goku, had the script not been watered down so bad her performance would have shined even more. As far as I'm concerned, Nadolny is still the definitive voice of Kid Goku,
To me it's funny how we have 3 different types where the English dub tried to emulate the Japanese version and have kid Goku and kid Gohan have the same voice actress (I know adult Goku and teen Gohan in Japanese is the same voice actress but obviously the english dub changed that) and it hasn't worked at all really in English.

You have Saffron Henderson, originally hired to do Kid Goku for the BLT dub of Dragon Ball who was just meh "okay" Maybe I'm just used to Nadolny at this point but her Goku was alright. Then she got recast to do Gohan when Funimation skipped to Z after the Shenron saga and she was much much better suited for Gohan. But she was probably the closest of the 3 to be able to do both Kid Goku and Gohan.

Then you have Stephanie Nadolny' s Gohan to replace Henderson who made Gohan sound like he had a smoker's rasp for some reason. But then Nadolny was used for kid Goku in the first Dragon Ball redub and she's got nothing on Nozawa but her voice actually works for Goku.

And finally you have Colleen Clinkenbeard who honestly I think is a vast improvement over Nadolny but only when it comes to Gohan. The high pitched somewhat feminine voice works for an over sheltered 4 year old. I never bought the "made Gohan sound like a girl thing" when little boys can sound that high pitcher. But her Kid Goku in the Funimation redub of the Blood Rubies was all wrong. Goku is a 12-year old boy even if he passes for 8. He should sound a lot more boyish than Gohan. Clinkenbeard's Goku is one of the reasons I'm not clamoring for a Dragon Ball redub even if really kind of needs one.

. Which is ironic, really, because DBZ fans raised hell over so many episodes being cut out of the edited dub way back in the day--and many fans raised hell about cropping the picture too--and both these things were purposefully done to the Kai dub :lolno:

Did they? My only frame of reference is Chris Psaros and he seemed okay with it to the point he stated he'd rather of had Funimation trash the hell episode entirely than to censor it with HFIL. I was fine with Funimation/Saban cutting out episodes worth of content original Z dub and wish they had cut out more. We did not need fake Namek or Bulma vs giant Namekian crab. I'd rather watch the first two seasons as 53 episodes than 67. I liked it even better when Kai managed to cut 107 episodes from the beginning of Z to end of the Freeza saga down to 52 episodes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Ryuji-Otogi wrote:I'm one of the guys who vastly prefers Nadolny's Kid Goku and Gohan to Clickenbeard's. Though very different from Nozawa, Nadolny's Kid Goku was perfect and captured the spirit of the original character excellently. Path to Power is a great example of her work as Kid Goku, had the script not been watered down so bad her performance would have shined even more. As far as I'm concerned, Nadolny is still the definitive voice of Kid Goku,
To me it's funny how we have 3 different types where the English dub tried to emulate the Japanese version and have kid Goku and kid Gohan have the same voice actress (I know adult Goku and teen Gohan in Japanese is the same voice actress but obviously the english dub changed that) and it hasn't worked at all really in English.

You have Saffron Henderson, originally hired to do Kid Goku for the BLT dub of Dragon Ball who was just meh "okay" Maybe I'm just used to Nadolny at this point but her Goku was alright. Then she got recast to do Gohan when Funimation skipped to Z after the Shenron saga and she was much much better suited for Gohan. But she was probably the closest of the 3 to be able to do both Kid Goku and Gohan.

Then you have Stephanie Nadolny' s Gohan to replace Henderson who made Gohan sound like he had a smoker's rasp for some reason. But then Nadolny was used for kid Goku in the first Dragon Ball redub and she's got nothing on Nozawa but her voice actually works for Goku.

And finally you have Colleen Clinkenbeard who honestly I think is a vast improvement over Nadolny but only when it comes to Gohan. The high pitched somewhat feminine voice works for an over sheltered 4 year old. I never bought the "made Gohan sound like a girl thing" when little boys can sound that high pitcher. But her Kid Goku in the Funimation redub of the Blood Rubies was all wrong. Goku is a 12-year old boy even if he passes for 8. He should sound a lot more boyish than Gohan. Clinkenbeard's Goku is one of the reasons I'm not clamoring for a Dragon Ball redub even if really kind of needs one.

. Which is ironic, really, because DBZ fans raised hell over so many episodes being cut out of the edited dub way back in the day--and many fans raised hell about cropping the picture too--and both these things were purposefully done to the Kai dub :lolno:

Did they? My only frame of reference is Chris Psaros and he seemed okay with it to the point he stated he'd rather of had Funimation trash the hell episode entirely than to censor it with HFIL. I was fine with Funimation/Saban cutting out episodes worth of content original Z dub and wish they had cut out more. We did not need fake Namek or Bulma vs giant Namekian crab. I'd rather watch the first two seasons as 53 episodes than 67. I liked it even better when Kai managed to cut 107 episodes from the beginning of Z to end of the Freeza saga down to 52 episodes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 pm

When I watch the dub, I watch Kai. It just seems pointless to watch the Z dub when its quality is lacking and it's so drawn out. Having said that, it feels equally pointless to watch the Japanese version of Kai. So for dub, I watch Kai, and for sub, I watch the original. I get nostalgic for some of the old DBZ dub stuff, but not enough to watch all 300 episodes all over again. I get plenty enough of that feeling from playing the old Budokai games. In hindsight, it's really great that we got this re-dub of Kai just before Super came out. That's a great thing for continuity.
Robo4900 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:It's even worse if you don't have nostalgia for it. I can get through Yugioh's dub easier than I can get through Z's.
Well, Yu-Gi-Oh's dub's problems were almost entirely down to censorship; the acting was solid, the replacement score was fine... If it wasn't for the censorship, it'd be a pretty good dub overall.
Yikes, I have to disagree wholeheartedly with that. Censorship wasn't a big deal with Yu-Gi-Oh's dub. It was already a show about a card game and the original Japanese anime censored the manga already. All the dub did censorship-wise was tone down the language, erase some cleavage, take out some hexagrams and scrubbed a few references to death. Where the dub went wrong was bastardizing the script and replacing the original score. I agree that the cast is not bad--I like most of the voice actors in Yu-Gi-Oh, but the script and direction is atrocious. Turn on Dark Side of Dimensions and just flip back and forth between the dub and sub. It's a night and day difference. Kaiba's dialog is so unfounded and over-the-top that it's impossible for me to even watch with a straight face. Seriously, there's a scene where Kaiba is telling his employees about his new holograms, or whatever. And in the Japanese version, he just interrupts them to talk about his new tech. In the dub, he yells "shut up you sniveling sycophants, and behold my genius!", or something equally ridiculous. And that's been done to just about every line of dialog that Kaiba has in the movie. And let's not even get into the GX dub and onward. I love the Yu-Gi-Oh dub for reasons of nostalgia and such and such, but if we're talking about how a dub should be done...well, Yu-Gi-Oh is far from it, and the censorship, while aggravating, is only one of the many reasons why that dub shouldn't be taken very seriously.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote:Yikes, I have to disagree wholeheartedly with that. Censorship wasn't a big deal with Yu-Gi-Oh's dub. It was already a show about a card game and the original Japanese anime censored the manga already. All the dub did censorship-wise was tone down the language, erase some cleavage, take out some hexagrams and scrubbed a few references to death.
Yeah, censorship. It was toning down what was already a toned-down version of the original manga's storytelling.
Ryuji-Otogi wrote:Where the dub went wrong was bastardizing the script and replacing the original score. I agree that the cast is not bad--I like most of the voice actors in Yu-Gi-Oh, but the script and direction is atrocious. Turn on Dark Side of Dimensions and just flip back and forth between the dub and sub. It's a night and day difference. Kaiba's dialog is so unfounded and over-the-top that it's impossible for me to even watch with a straight face. Seriously, there's a scene where Kaiba is telling his employees about his new holograms, or whatever. And in the Japanese version, he just interrupts them to talk about his new tech. In the dub, he yells "shut up you sniveling sycophants, and behold my genius!", or something equally ridiculous. And that's been done to just about every line of dialog that Kaiba has in the movie. And let's not even get into the GX dub and onward. I love the Yu-Gi-Oh dub for reasons of nostalgia and such and such, but if we're talking about how a dub should be done...well, Yu-Gi-Oh is far from it, and the censorship, while aggravating, is only one of the many reasons why that dub shouldn't be taken very seriously.
I have a feeling that Kaiba's dialogue was influenced by Yugioh Abridged, since the dub team at 4K Media love LK's work. I mean, look at other dialogue from some other parts of not only that movie, but also GX. Joey makes reference to Bakura's accent being what attracts the ladies, which LK made fun of Bakura's fangirls back in Season 1, then they had an entire episode of the GX dub be scripted like LK's gag dub style by having the characters make self-depricating jokes & make fun of the concept of Yugioh in general. You're not really meant to take them seriously at that point in the dub if you don't want to.
And I was referring to the OG Yugioh's dub, the one from before Yugioh Abridged, where they took things mostly seriously. There are some legitimately good things about it, but it could've been better done.