What do you think about F Trunks not sticking around?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

What do you think about F Trunks not sticking around?

Post by ToshioWrites » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

The Heroes trailer where we get to see Trunks training with Goku and Vegeta on Beerus planet got me thinking. I still don't understand why he was sent back to a timeline where there was already another adult trunks and adult mai. First of all he's a very popular character and one of the best ones in DB imo. Secondly He would have been perfect for this ToP arc especially since he could have used the SDB to potentially bring back HIS timeline. We could have gotten to see him fight alongside Gohan and Vegeta and even the Androids. I know they wanted to do fanservice by giving the OG DB characters like Roshi, Tien, etc screentime but in Tiens case , they did nothing memorable or even cool for him like they did for Roshi.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Re: What do you think about F Trunks not sticking around?

Post by hardcorefakes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Don't care. It's not like he needs to be in the story at this point.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

I'd have preferred him sticking around, but how would the ending to the Future Trunks Arc have been like then?
Perhaps keep the ending, but then at the beginning of this arc Trunks would randomly return, comically ditching Mai after he realizes, he really can't live with her and decides he wants to hang out with his dad and Goku instead?
That might be too much like a joke, but it could work!
Certainly it would be even more intriguing to see his reaction to Freeza coming back and Goku being so carefree about it and of course Freeza's reaction to seeing him again and maybe he could also get to see Buu too and be unimpressed upon seeing sleeping Buu.
Of course he'd have no sword in the tournament, so that would be a loss, since now it has become so ingrained in his character, that he comes with a sword. There's always a ki sword of course and Cawai used some ki spears too at least.
So I guess I'm not too pleased about him not sticking around at the end of the day.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm

I fucking hated it. His universe beign erased was the perfect opportunity to make him a member of the main cast permanently, and they wasted it. I also would have loved to see F. Trunks in the ToP, imagine him and Gohan teaming up again. Now that would have been badass. For the EoZ they could have used the excuse that he didn't want to go because he looks exactly like present Trunks and he doesn't want to freak people out (even though they could use the excuse that they are twins). Or fuck it, maybe he was just busy and couldn't make it to the tournament.
Get Fucked, C_unt

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm

It makes the ending of the arc much darker and tragic. Now Trunks is forced to live in a Universe where there is a copy of him, and of all those he loved and cared for. And the sight of the Bulma or Yajirobe of this new timeline will remind him that he failed to protect his actual world, and that his actual mother and friends were erased when the Omni-King obliterated the ENTIRE Future multiverse in a last, desperate effort to stop the immortal Infinite Zamasu. And I like it. For too long, have the Z fighters just wished back everyone and everything with the Dragon Balls. But not this time.

Truthfully though, it would have been quite entertaining to watch the interactions between Frieza and Future Trunks in the Tournament of Power. It must be awkward to hold a conversation with the guy who chopped you in half and blasted you to smithereens. But that's about it.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 pm

I really love Future Trunks, but i think that his place is in his own world. Maybe there Trunks and Mai can get some way to fuse with the ones who are already there.

Anyway, it woiuld've been interesting to have Future Trunks in ToP instead of Gohan.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 pm

He left for Mai's sake, and Mai wanted to see her old corps again.

He and Mai may have had a better life in the present era (and it may have better fit the story), but I can't really fault them for going to a dimension where their friends were still alive.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Having Future Trunks AND Kid Trunks in the same timeline (with both of them being actual characters and one not an off-screen baby) would just be confusing, especially when Kid Trunks grows up. The thing that's annoying is, the way the FT arc ended it would have made much more sense for Future Trunks to just stay in this timeline. The writing had pretty much set that up, and instead they do some bizarre cop-out thing where they put him in another timeline with a clone of himself and Mai.

Having him in the ToP would have been cool though, especially if they had planned to restore Trunks' timeline from the Super Dragon Balls. That could have been the perfect way to keep Trunks in this timeline temporarily and sending him off after that. Plus we could have seen so many cool team-ups, like Trunks fighting alongside the Androids or with Gohan.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Right, so I can listen to this fandom bitch about saiyans having all the spotlight again.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:42 pm

I'd have referred him to stick around instead of what ultimately happened to him.

Although, I'm still not sure I like what ended up happening to his timeline in the first place.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:16 pm

I would've liked if he stayed around, seeing as how we'll never let main timeline Trunks grow up and be his History of Trunks version for some reason. I need the good Trunks somehow.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 pm

I find it a pretty crap ending to be honest. Tragic and very unsatisfying, Future Trunks's world being deleted and he and Future Mai going to live in another version of that world.

The alternative would be Future Trunks and Mai coming to live in the main timeline with the main cast. Potentially confusing as there's still another Trunks and Mai present, but I'd certainly find that more satisfying.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:26 pm

While I love Future Trunks as a character, I think it was good for him to not sticking around, he must learn to fight on his own and not with Goku and Vegeta, him finally leaving for good is the best way to give his character some closure.

But what if he stayed, he would surely fight in the TOP, being perhaps the 3rd strongest member of U7 (IMO he is stronger than Gohan, 17 and Frieza) and filling the spot for Frieza. I just think the team will go as this: Goku, Gohan, Buu, Trunks, Vegeta, Krillin, 18, Piccolo, Tien, Roshi (The original recruitment order without 17). I just think that after Buu is unable to fight, they would recruit 17 intead of Frieza.

Trunks would be much more helpful to the team than Frieza as he already worked in team along Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo and Tien in his previous fights. So I think the team would fare better than the current team.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:35 am

I think it's Future Trunks's destiny to not become a part of the main Z timeline. His presence in the story is only because the situation in the future has forced him to time travel as a last resort. His goal is always to go home, and his character grows through interacting with people who do not exist back in his timeline like Goku and Vegeta. I thought it was really cool how Zamasu and Black hated on Trunks for using time travel too much as well. Part of what makes Future Trunks an interesting character to me is the fact that we don't get to spend much time with him because after all, he does come from a different timeline.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:33 am

Benedetto12 wrote:While I love Future Trunks as a character, I think it was good for him to not sticking around, he must learn to fight on his own and not with Goku and Vegeta, him finally leaving for good is the best way to give his character some closure.
Agreed, As much as I love Future Trunks, the last thing he needs is to become a side character next to the "Goku and Vegeta" show.
Because that would have happened if he stayed, and his character would have deteriorated next to them.
Benedetto12 wrote:But what if he stayed, he would surely fight in the TOP, being perhaps the 3rd strongest member of U7 (IMO he is stronger than Gohan, 17 and Frieza) and filling the spot for Frieza. I just think the team will go as this: Goku, Gohan, Buu, Trunks, Vegeta, Krillin, 18, Piccolo, Tien, Roshi (The original recruitment order without 17). I just think that after Buu is unable to fight, they would recruit 17 intead of Frieza.

Trunks would be much more helpful to the team than Frieza as he already worked in team along Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo and Tien in his previous fights. So I think the team would fare better than the current team.
Maybe, but I think he already had his moment in the Zamasu arc, and while it had a depressing end I still rate it as one of the best arcs so far in Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 am

If they were going to destroy his timeline it would've been best to keep him in the main one as they won't have to find ways to keep bringing him back anytime they need him.

He also would've been a lot more useful than Tien in the current arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:17 am

He could've stuck around at least to the end of the ToP. He could've had moments fighting alongside the Androids, with Gohan, and with Frieza. It would've been fun to see. Plus if the predictable outcome of all the Universes being wished back happens, it's possible that Trunks timeline could have been restored, and he could've returned home instead of....whatever actually happened in the end of the arc

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 am

I don't know what could have been done with him if he stayed, asides from him teaming up with Gohan in the ToP (e.i. Gohan using him as meat shield like Piccolo) and helping him get back into shape with Piccolo during the recruitment period. Maybe gain a new form with three auras. I think he's better off on another timeline.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:51 am

it made no sense, i know they needed to not retcon the end but they could've easily said trunks is on the supreme kai planet training to be the next kaioshin and left it at that.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm

It makes sense, but I feel him not being there might have squandered some potential. I prefer him to come back at a later time though just to visit and help if necessary. And besides, Trunks now knows about Beerus, Whis and more that he didn't before. Hopefully, if he EVER returns (which is unlikely), he has trained with Whis and Beerus. Shit, I'd like to see a story where its just him in the future like the ending of the Cell arc or the Trunks Side Story. The universe is so big and that future offers more possibilities with what you can do since the main cast is dead. I just see those Heroes commericials with Trunks and they look so cool. Here's to his return wherever he may be.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).