Collection of all of DBS Toriyama's designs UPDATED 04/24/18

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Collection of all of DBS Toriyama's designs UPDATED 04/24/18

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:18 am

So I decided to clean up this thread a bit and transfer all of the designs from the pre-Super era of Dragon Ball to another thread in the General Franchise Discussion, here's the link: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=41909
I did it because this thread felt like it was getting progressively messier, when it was originally supposed to have only designs from the new era. I think things are way more organized now, and it just feels right.

Big props to SSGSS Goku since he provided the majority of these higher quality scans, without him, this thread would be awful :D

Dragon Ball Super

Battle of Gods designs
Super Saiyan God Goku
Beerus's Planet
Beerus God of Destruction
Beerus sleeping
Whis
Battle of Gods supporting cast : Pilaf, Mai, Shu, Oracle Fish, Vegeta, Mr.Satan, Videl, Gohan, Chichi, Goten, Trunks, Krillin, 18, Marron, Master Roshi, Bulma, Dr. Brief, Mrs. Brief, Yamcha, Oolong, Tienshinhan, Chiaotzu, Ox- King
Resurrection of F designs
Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta and base Vegeta
Gohan (Tracksuit and casual outfit)
Krillin (Gi and Police Uniform) and Police vehicle
Bulma and Master Roshi
Golden Frieza
Tagoma and Sorbet
Shisami and Hell's Angels
Universe 6 Tournament arc designs
Champa God of Destruction
Vados
Hit
Cabba
Frost 1st form
Frost 3td form
Frost Final form
Auta Magetta
Botamo
Fuwa ( Universe 6 Kaioshin)
Fuwa's attendant
Tournament Referee
Monaka
Zuno and his attendant + Jaco
Tights
Whis's Cube and Jaco's spaceship
Anthem singing Bird
Zen-Oh and his Guard
Future Trunks arc designs
Future Trunks (Jacket)
Future Trunks (Sweater)
Goku Black ( Base and Super Saiyan Rosé)
Zamasu
Fused Zamasu
Barbarian of Planet Babari
Bulma on CC vehicle
Tournament of Power arc designs
Android 17 and Android 18
Caulifla
Gods of Destruction designs (Quitela, Helles, Belmod)
Sidra and Korn
Ultra Instinct Goku
Tournament of Power Arena

Videogames designs
Dragon Ball Fighterz
Android 21 (Base)
Android 21 (Majin)
Dragon Ball Legends
Shallot
Zahha
Hooded Man
Last edited by Vegeta_Sama on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:03 am, edited 54 times in total.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by Amir » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 am

They all look god awful. Everyone looks like children.
Not only the bodies are too skinny and small, but the faces are also too young and awkward looking.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:41 am

Aside from the gods (Beerus, Champa and Whis for example), his other character designs are awful. A lot of them now disproportionate and much skinnier. Videl's arms are longer than her legs. Krillin just looks bad. There's a few Goku and Vegeta recolors in there too, the ultimate sign of laziness. Where's Nakatsuru when you need him?

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 am

Maybe I'm used to the designs used for the anime and manga. While some look fine to me due to good body proportions and facial features like Beerus and Champa, Whis and Vados, Zamasu, and Future Mai, others look too cute or look like booble heads like Goku Black and Gohan.

Interesting thread.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:59 am

His style now is definitely a lot more cartoony and simple than it once was. I actually kinda like it, but some characters look waaaay younger and skinnier than they should. Also SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta's pupils are way to small.

So overall I think his old style is way more appealing, especially in the Buu Saga.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 am

Man, these are really animation friendly, though.

Anyway, the reason people hate it is because of the simplicity, I know its not because of age because dragon Ball characters have always looked younger than they really are.
Last edited by Totamo on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 am

Nice and simple, but they are too scrawny compared to his old designs and the ones from the Anime

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am

His new art style is a result of laziness. He doesn't even try anymore because he already made all his money. The sad part is he's really good when he wants to. Does anyone have that zamasu that he corrected for toyo? That's the best example of his modern art if he still cared. Any way the anime for me is the definite design for characters.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm

God that one of the supporting cast for BoG in particular is terrible.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:37 pm

I like his artstyle now and sometimes love it, but I like how Toei sticks to a more classic look while still doing some modernizing like not having the characters too buff. But, for dragon ball, i just prefer how Toei goes about it. the change isn't too drastic. i am very alright with AT's artstyle for his work over the last decade like Jaco, Minus, & Kintoki (IT SHOULD BE A SERIES DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!).
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:38 pm

So many of these adult characters are from the same three quarters view that I can't help wondering that with Toriyama's affinity for drawing directly into Photoshop that maybe he has a save file that's just the bare bones and he creates a new layer on top to draw the character design. It'd save him time and would explain why the same pose for a lot of these.

As for what I think of his current art style....I don't overly care for it. I think it's too stiff. Wandering facial features like those on most of the BOG supporting cast bother me.
I don't mind the roundedness, but I've seen him do it better in old art.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 pm

Definitely not a fan.

It seems to chibi inspired. Characters are too lean, and proportions do not feel right.
Plus you can see some of it is either just poor attention to detail or lack of interest.
The Hit drawing with the weird face as an example.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Good job on finding all these designs. Around the web you can also find his Merged Zamasu, Future Mai in her main outfit, Kid Trunks' teacher and the other two forms of Frost.
I actually like his new style, I would say it is... interesting. I definitely like how he draws muscles nowadays, although I agree that his characters look too chibi-like at times and those Battle of Gods cast designs were bad.

I have recently been very disappointed by the fact Toriyama decided to just edit his SSG design for Ultra Instinct. It was very, very lazy, even for someone like him who is recently always re-using the same poses for his designs. I also would have liked to see more of his designs for Super but it seems like he wanted to do the bare minimum work on it. Shame, considering he provides lots of designs for Dragon Quest games, which he also makes more detailed and in different poses. It seems like he cares more about DQ than about DB.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm

I like them all as illustrations, but of course I wouldn't want the anime or manga to borrow this look.

Looking at these made me remember that I love the design for Whis so much.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:45 pm

I like that art style , unique and simple , I guess the eyes more round and different that his previous art makes a difference .
Concerning that ultra instinct design I just think he didn’t bother to draw it , he just said to somebody take this design and change colors .. bad thing but he can do whatever he wants
looks like anime guys are gonna put more muscle on u.i. , anime Goku god red hair was same less muscle style , thats how I like it and why I prefer Toriyamas designs . Overmuscle sucks imo.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:10 pm

I love it. It reminds me of old school DragonBall, which is my favorite series in the franchise.

It probably wouldn't look good in animation, unless the correct studio handled it. I would enjoy a manga adaption with this style though.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:07 pm

SirTorra wrote:Does anyone have that zamasu that he corrected for toyo?
I'm pretty surprised to read some of the reactions here, although perhaps I shouldn't be. I see these character designs as a display of complete mastery. Not a single line is wasted. The poses and expressions seem plain, but still manage to have so much personality. It's fine to prefer the older look of the series, but you must at least be able to recognize this.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Man, I still can't get used to this style. It's simplistic, but it looks more out of laziness than anything. It still has the same type of characters only without the detail and some proportions are just off. Little characters like Krillin, Goten and Trunks can't support their big heads with that tiny body. Most of their base expressions have this weird look of boredom and fatigue.

But the concept art of Gohan reminded me how much I liked his RoF hair, I wish they kept it instead of the weird bangless hair he has now.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Which one is Toriyama's the top Zamasu or the bottom left one?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:38 pm

GTx10 wrote:Which one is Toriyama's the top Zamasu or the bottom left one?
Toriyama's correction is the big one at the top. At least...I'm pretty sure it is. Now that I think about it, I never found out for certain which was which; the one at the top just seems more prominent and more closely resembles Toriyama's old art, so I kind of made the assumption.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack