Collection of all of DBS Toriyama's designs UPDATED 04/24/18

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by GTx10 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
GTx10 wrote:Which one is Toriyama's the top Zamasu or the bottom left one?
Toriyama's correction is the big one at the top. At least...I'm pretty sure it is. Now that I think about it, I never found out for certain which was which; the one at the top just seems more prominent and more closely resembles Toriyama's old art, so I kind of made the assumption.
It is the top one. I checked the Manga guide on here and sure enough it gave the answer. So yes the top Zamasu is Toriyama's correction. Which means Toriyama can still draw extremely well.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Wow, people are really that upset over design sheets? :? Lazy art? Then Jaco's manga must've been his laziest work to date. I'm surprised people expected him to maintain his DB artstyle during the last 20 years of drawing random gag mangas.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:07 pm

It's ok but it looks to cutesy.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

It's a fine artstyle, but I suppose it's something that Dragon Ball fans aren't used to.
:clap:

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm

The art style's a really fun take on Dragon Ball and I love the faces, but man those proportions are incredibly awkward. It's not even a matter of muscle; the overall proportions of the limbs of these characters stand out as being poor. Just take a look at Battle of Gods Bulma; that design is literally almost all legs. I'd like the style more if our examples weren't characterized by rushed linework and depth, and personally a bit more dynamic but I understand this is only for the reference of the anime staff.... but, that doesn't make what should be an appealing style come across as genuinely notable for a famous manga artist that's been at this for decades now. I love simple, but I don't like poor work.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm

mute_proxy wrote:Wow, people are really that upset over design sheets? :? Lazy art? Then Jaco's manga must've been his laziest work to date. I'm surprised people expected him to maintain his DB artstyle during the last 20 years of drawing random gag mangas.
I suspect it's because a lot of people are too accustomed to the artstyle used most prominently from around the Saiyan/Frieza arcs onward, so the response does come across as a bit knee-jerky.

Personally, I like it quite a bit. The overall simplicity combined with the roundedness of eyes, facial features and shapes reminds me a lot his really old artstyle back when he was first drawing Dragon Ball, and I think it's nice to see Z era characters in that light.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 pm

The designs are great! People who complain about the proportions have obviously never seen the original dragonball. Wad Goku from Dragonball a bad design since he basically half head, half body with stuby limbs?
And just because you don't like a design doesn't make it bad or lazy for goodness sake! This community is so toxic and childish.
Akira Toriyama is one of the best Manga artists out there! Anyone who thinks he is lazy or bad doesnt understand what a genuis mangaka he was. Super Eyepatch wolf just released a really good video explaining why Toriyama is one of the genuises of manga. The style that dragonball z fans like is a dated aesthetic from the 80's and 90's, the amazing thing about Toriyama is that he is able to constantly change and update his style.
But stupid fanboys just want," Mah DBZ!!". The designs are great! You may not like them but that doesn't make them bad, stop it with this toxic nonesense people.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:51 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:The designs are great! People who complain about the proportions have obviously never seen the original dragonball. Wad Goku from Dragonball a bad design since he basically half head, half body with stuby limbs?
And just because you don't like a design doesn't make it bad or lazy for goodness sake! This community is so toxic and childish.
Akira Toriyama is one of the best Manga artists out there! Anyone who thinks he is lazy or bad doesnt understand what a genuis mangaka he was. Super Eyepatch wolf just released a really good video explaining why Toriyama is one of the genuises of manga. The style that dragonball z fans like is a dated aesthetic from the 80's and 90's, the amazing thing about Toriyama is that he is able to constantly change and update his style.
But stupid fanboys just want," Mah DBZ!!". The designs are great! You may not like them but that doesn't make them bad, stop it with this toxic nonesense people.
Not really a huge fan of kid Gokus design either for the same reasons

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote: *ANGRY RANT*
A lot of hypocritical talk there. No reason to call people childish, stupid and most of all toxic when you're showing the same attitude when people don't like the style like you do.

Fair point of Kid Goku however, that boys body was quite odd looking throughout the beginning of Dragon Ball.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:11 pm

There good in their own way. The mans art style has clearly changed but there's nothing wrong with it. But arts subjective and people have a right to not likeining the change if thats how they feel.

I like them personally.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 pm

i really don't like it and i'm glad that in the anime and manga the design is not a copy of Toriyama's new art style.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Is it just me... or does he draw them a lot skinnier nowadays?

Anyway, I think his art style was best between the 22nd Budokai Tenkaichi to midway through the Namek arc.

His artstyle right now ain't bad, but the characters look skinnier to me for some reason.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Why is Pilaf green?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 am

I don't mind the artstyle but the drawings themself are just...off model. Look at the placement of the eyes on UI Goku for example. You can quickly tell when the placement of the eyes are correct when you relate them to the nose. A lot of off model-faces here. I's also weird to see how much skinnier the Toriyama-drawn Goku is compared to the anime version.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:18 am

I don't mind the general look, but lining them all up in one place really emphasises how samey his art style has gotten. It feels like there were a lot of shortcuts taken, what with having virtually the same pose, angle and facial expression for all of them.

Out of the ToP fighters, did Toriyama really only design Caulifla? I mean, it sort of makes sense given she's the skinniest of the bunch. I'd have thought they would have at least had him design Jiren, but I just can't imagine him in that artstyle.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:12 am

I really like his current art style and have always been curious about what Dragon Ball would be like were it to have more closely followed it in either a continuous anime or manga form.

Imagine an anime that more closely adhered to those designs with a kind of fluid Tate-esque animation philosophy. Or a personally Toriyama-helmed manga version. Pipe dreams, but oh well.

Visually, it actually resembles his pre-Dr. Slump work, but more streamlined.

Re: Above: They look "samey" in terms of poses, facial expressions, etc., because they're designs for the anime. They aren't meant to be stand-alone works of art—just guides for the Toei staff to work from.

If you want to see something that shows off his current art style in manga form, and how expressive and detailed it can still be, read Jaco. Read Jaco regardless because it's great.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 am

Kataphrut wrote:I don't mind the general look, but lining them all up in one place really emphasises how samey his art style has gotten. It feels like there were a lot of shortcuts taken, what with having virtually the same pose, angle and facial expression for all of them.

Out of the ToP fighters, did Toriyama really only design Caulifla? I mean, it sort of makes sense given she's the skinniest of the bunch. I'd have thought they would have at least had him design Jiren, but I just can't imagine him in that artstyle.
I suspected from the get go that he didn’t design Jiren. It’s entirely possible he didn’t even give a real fleshed out antagonist for the ToP which would explain why we seem to be getting different takes on the “same” character.

Further I always assumed Toriyama only designed 1 female SSJ and that got increased to two by other forces at work.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 am

Also, some people in this thread seem to be unaware that these are character model sheets. Obviously they're going to be drawn from the same angle with similar poses and neutral facial expressions - they're conceptual points of reference, that's how they're supposed to look.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:52 am

Marlowe89 wrote:Also, some people in this thread seem to be unaware that these are character model sheets. Obviously they're going to be drawn from the same angle with similar poses and neutral facial expressions - they're conceptual points of reference, that's how they're supposed to look.
To be fair, these aren't models. They're designs, from which Toei staff create the actual models to be referenced by the animators.

But they're still meant to be used as references and have to show off the character cleanly and holistically, so it makes sense to keep them fairly samey and conservative.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 am

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:The designs are great! People who complain about the proportions have obviously never seen the original dragonball. Wad Goku from Dragonball a bad design since he basically half head, half body with stuby limbs?
Its fine to have your opinion but being a condescending ass about character sheets isn't cool. Also you defend toriyama like he's your dad or something. Not everyone feels the need to worship everything he does