Collection of all of DBS Toriyama's designs UPDATED 04/24/18

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 am

Cipher wrote: To be fair, these aren't models. They're designs, from which Toei staff create the actual models to be referenced by the animators.

But they're still meant to be used as references and have to show off the character cleanly and holistically, so it makes sense to keep them fairly samey and conservative.
I suppose that's technically true, but I meant that they serve a similar function as Toei's model sheets albeit on a different level - the animators reference designs/models from Yamamuro (and maybe other staff?) who in turn references the conceptual designs from Toriyama if applicable, or at least that's how I understand it.

Like you said, the idea is to provide a cohesive reference point for the staff that can translate them into actual character models using Super's artstyle for the anime. Giving them wildly dynamic poses and facial expressions would defeat that whole purpose, and even then, Toriyama still sneaks in a bit of character to some of these.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:49 am

I think they're okay and can see the design inspirations from his older works, though like others I do prefer how they're reinterpreted for the anime and Toyotaro's manga.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Toriyama is basically the Japanese version of George Lucas. This is why you leave well enough alone. He made the right decision ending the franchise at the end of the Buu saga.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 am

Old man Toriyama can still draw that's for sure :lol:

But a lot of them are too skinny for me, Toriyama's artstyle peaked during the Freeza saga.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:34 pm

I think they mostly look good. A bit of them are somewhat wonky (Videl's the big offender), but I get the feeling it's because these are rough designs. If you compare them to his modern Dragon Quest illustrations, they definitely have a lot less refining to them likely because he knew they'd be adapted in a different style, and only needed to do a base design. That's my guess anyway.

Just chalk it up to his artstyle changing over the years. Early DB looks pretty vastly different from End of Z, for example... but it's all still very "Toriyama."
I like to think I'm pretty decent as an artist, but I still wish I had even a fraction of his ability.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 pm

With Pilaf's green skin, Kid Trunks' blue hair and #18 and Marron's grey hair being recolored to match the colors they used to be in the original anime run (teal, lavender and blonde respectively), why did they suddenly decide to draw the line at the Future Trunks arc and choose to carry over the blue hair color Toriyama gave Future Trunks wholesale?

It's odd that they made sure to keep the colors consistent with the other characters, but just decided to put their foot down with Future Trunks. They desaturated flashbacks that included him and even went so far as to fully reanimate specific scenes in order to keep up the illusion that it was always blue. If they were inclined to recolor the other characters to resemble what viewers were familiar with before, why stop there and then abruptly decide to stick religiously to Toriyama's artwork for Future Trunks? It's not like it would be hard to distinguish between the two Trunks's with their obviously differing voices and appearances and it was a lot more extra work they had to go to just to hide it.

Toriyama even kept #18's hair grey in his Tournment of Power artwork, but they still recolored it to blonde to keep things consistent. It just makes Future Trunks stand out even more after the fact. It's an old, well-beaten horse to be sure, but it's still just as baffling now as it ever was seeing as how everyone else got a consistency "dye job".
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 am

The character designs themselves are great, the way Toriyama draws them though? Terrible.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 am

Rebel Instinct wrote:With Pilaf's green skin, Kid Trunks' blue hair and #18 and Marron's grey hair being recolored to match the colors they used to be in the original anime run (teal, lavender and blonde respectively), why did they suddenly decide to draw the line at the Future Trunks arc and choose to carry over the blue hair color Toriyama gave Future Trunks wholesale?

It's odd that they made sure to keep the colors consistent with the other characters, but just decided to put their foot down with Future Trunks. They desaturated flashbacks that included him and even went so far as to fully reanimate specific scenes in order to keep up the illusion that it was always blue. If they were inclined to recolor the other characters to resemble what viewers were familiar with before, why stop there and then abruptly decide to stick religiously to Toriyama's artwork for Future Trunks? It's not like it would be hard to distinguish between the two Trunks's with their obviously differing voices and appearances and it was a lot more extra work they had to go to just to hide it.

Toriyama even kept #18's hair grey in his Tournment of Power artwork, but they still recolored it to blonde to keep things consistent. It just makes Future Trunks stand out even more after the fact. It's an old, well-beaten horse to be sure, but it's still just as baffling now as it ever was seeing as how everyone else got a consistency "dye job".
The only reason I can think of is that probably the Blue hair-blue jacket combo works better as opposed to purple hair-blue jacket.
Get Fucked, C_unt

DiegoBrando

Post by DiegoBrando » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 pm

8bitdee wrote:I love it. It reminds me of old school DragonBall, which is my favorite series in the franchise.

It probably wouldn't look good in animation, unless the correct studio handled it. I would enjoy a manga adaption with this style though.
This looks absolutely nothing like oldschool Dragonball.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:50 pm

DiegoBrando wrote:
8bitdee wrote:I love it. It reminds me of old school DragonBall, which is my favorite series in the franchise.

It probably wouldn't look good in animation, unless the correct studio handled it. I would enjoy a manga adaption with this style though.
This looks absolutely nothing like oldschool Dragonball.
I didn't say they looked like old school DB, I said the simplicity of the designs REMINDED me of old school DB.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Toriyama's modern style is probably one of my favorites of his. It is truly great and I'd love if it were the base for how modern DB as a whole would look, though with Yamamuro's tight grip on the franchise, it's probably just a pipe dream, not to mention if the style were to change, with the reception to Takahashi's work that would actually be the one they'd opt for.

A lot of the character designs are also amazing and honestly, when it comes to coming up with new characters Toriyama is still on top of his game. Very few of his new guys are bad looking. A pretty big issue I do have is that he seems a little random with the color choices, though his truly weird looking ones are usually reserved for funny/funky looking guys. When the character itself is more serious, a la Zamasu or Black, he keeps it clean.

Judging his whole talent based on a few illustrations reserved for other people to reference from is quite stupid and kinda signifies a lack of knowledge of what he does currently. Sure, a couple of those sheets are quite bland and sometimes even badly drawn, but seeing as they're not really meant for anything more than showcasing the details of the design, they serve their purpose very well. It's nothing new, actually. His GT design sheets look pretty bad too, albeit in his old, more familiar style, but when you take a look at the actual illustrations for the different kind of planets and such, with Goku, Trunks and Pan in the middle of the action, the difference is night and day.

Much like with everything he does, he's half-assing when he can and a couple of doodles that Toyotaro and Toei only use to get a hold of what a character should look like seems like the right place to do so.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:11 am

I find it odd that that toriyama gave #18 and Marron Silver hairs,Kid Trunks blue hair and Pilaf green skin I wonder why those design didn't appear in the anime.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:29 am

They're like children's drawings.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle? UPDATED

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:00 am

OP has been updated with the new Saiyan design from DB Legends, and I addwd the old designs for Android 21. I also remived Future Mai because I realized that was a Yammamuro's design. I searched for a Fused Zamasu, Jiren, Toppo and Dyspo and Ribrianne designs, but all I found was Yammamuro ones. If anyone can help me locate those done by Toryiama, I would be really grateful
Get Fucked, C_unt

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:27 am

I like Android 21's design the most in the gallery.

Firebolt wrote:His style now is definitely a lot more cartoony and simple than it once was. Some characters look waaaay younger and skinnier than they should.

So overall I think his old style is way more appealing, especially in the Buu Saga.
I agree. I'm rather disappointed that Toriyama's artwork, while still distinct, seems to have peaked and gone by.

Not really. The original DB designs were rounded and a little fatter, but in an appealing way. These designs just look scrawny.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle? UPDATED

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:46 am

The anime art is one of the main reasons DBS fell flat for me.
The characters in Super are almost chibi looking with scrawny bodies and absolutely no muscle tone, In other words 'stick people'. :thumbdown:
Some people like this style but I vastly prefer the old style in DB/Z.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Si we finally have the new Saiyan's name: Shallot, and I managed to find a better picture that shows him from 2 angles, and I have to say: does that gap for the tail look a bit ridiculous for anyone else??
Get Fucked, C_unt

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 pm

Toriyama also design Towa and Mira from Dragon Ball Online game, I'm going to share his artwork of them.
    [spoiler]Image
      Image[/spoiler]
      Last edited by Spider-Man on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegeta_Sama
      Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Spider-Man wrote:Toriyama also design Towa and Mira from Dragon Ball Online game, I'm going to share his artwork of them.
        [spoiler]Image
          Image[/spoiler]
          Interesting. I didn't know he was responsible for designing Mira and Towa. Thanks for sharing!
          Get Fucked, C_unt

Dbzfan94
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
          Rebel Instinct wrote:With Pilaf's green skin, Kid Trunks' blue hair and #18 and Marron's grey hair being recolored to match the colors they used to be in the original anime run (teal, lavender and blonde respectively), why did they suddenly decide to draw the line at the Future Trunks arc and choose to carry over the blue hair color Toriyama gave Future Trunks wholesale?

The only reason I can think of is that probably the Blue hair-blue jacket combo works better as opposed to purple hair-blue jacket.
          Disagree. The purple hair - blue jacket combo looked perfectly fine.