Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Maybe the "Super Shenlong" summoning is going to be differently animated this time?
That and maybe eoz Goku to appear too.
Maybe they'll have Takahashi animate Super Shenron being summoned! :D He deserves a lot better than the shitty scale tool treatment he got the first time.
They didn't care for it then, it's debut, why now?

Unless #130 went into production really early and they couldn't fit Takahashi into it?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Man, tonight episode animation looks promising!
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Rally 07
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rally 07 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Chuquita wrote: His artwork is so amazing! I'm happy Takahashi's in his early 30's because that means he could influence the character art on DB for projects to come. He's already inspired other artists on Super; my hope for when Super returns from hiatus is for it to have more of that late Z era look to it.
Totally agree with you. I hope the general art style of Super could return to the way art used to look in the Majin Boo Saga and later on in Dragon Ball Z. But with cough* Tadayoshi Yamamuro and his designs, it may not happen so easily. Albeit Yamamuro isn't that bad of an artist and animator. Hopefully he'll take some steps forward and maybe do what he used to back in Dragon Ball Z.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:More preview images for Episode 129:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
The first two images scream Karasawa.
Karasawa has really taken inspiration from Takahashi.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm

The first half of the episode had like 80% reused animation from everywhere. Total corner cutting, and in such a major episode as well. What a disappointment. But as I always say... it's better to reuse old good shit then to make new bad shit. The second half of the episode made up for it though with the glorious debut of Mastered Ultra Instinct. And the direction as a whole for the episode, but especially for the last five minutes, was nothing short of sensational.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Episode 129

Animation Supervisors
Hirotaka Nii
Koji Nashizawa
Yuichi Karasawa

Key Animators
Hirotaka Nii
Tatsuya Oka
Shoichi Funaki
Beom-seok Hong
Masato Ikeda
Yoshitaka Yashima
Yuichi Karasawa
Yuki Omizu
Kai Suzuki
Yukihiro Kitano

Second Key Animation
Toei Phils
Mido Douga

-

Too angry to have a real opinion right now. That was horrible.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 pm

The reused animation really infuriated me. It would have been fine if it were only a little bit but over 90% of the fight was a compilation of reused scenes. They weren't even transitioning into each other well. Such a huge disappointment,especially since this is the main event. I wonder what happened behind the scenes that caused this...You'd figure they would have tried their best avoid a situation like this.

The new animation was great but the effects looked awful & fanmade. Overall this episode was trash.

The next episode looks promising but I really hope there isn't anymore reused animation...We've had enough of that this episode..
Last edited by Cursemark505 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Man... no wonder the first half of the episode had so much reused animation. That is not the promising staff list of key animators to have available for such a major episode.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Dang. After it looked so promising in the preview and all that wait time all we got is this. That's a little frustrating. Hope 130 doesn't have a similar situation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Boy, that sure sucked. It wouldn't have been so bad if the episode had actually ended with a number of good action cuts. Instead we get to see ten key animators draw two cuts each while the rest of the episode is reused cuts.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Didn't hate it, it was just so not what a finale should be. Some really great spectacle here and there, but this MUCH bank animation for a finale is somewhat worrying. It's just like 124, not visually offensive, but the moment you realize 90% of the episode is bank material, it kinda sucks. The final minutes of the episode were aesthetically pleasing to say the least.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 pm

That was just...nothing short of underwhelming. The reused animation pretty much ruined the episode and I was thought overall, direction and SB were "okay" (with the strongest being during the 2nd half). Nothing great, which makes me kind of sad. The only few things that were decent were the art (Karasawa) in the 2nd half and the MUI reveal which looked great imo.

130 better make up for it! The 3 last episodes should not be this mediocre!

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Given the current state of things, its clear to me now why the hiatus is much needed... This show is crumbling down and it HAS TO END, before it completely goes to shit...

Thank god they have enough respect for the franchise to take the decision to end this now, before it becomes complete trash.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Extremely dissapointed in Yammy for correcting Nii's scene.

Karasawa's scene was a little stiff, and packed with outrageous amounts of redrawn animation from the opening.

Seriously, what was up with all the reuse in this episode though? They had enough time to do this right. Apart from the ending scene, this was a complete mess.

If next week's episode doesn't turn out to be amazing in every single way, I'll be infuriated.
Last edited by Firebolt on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The first half of the episode had like 80% reused animation from everywhere. Total corner cutting, and in such a major episode as well. What a disappointment. But as I always say... it's better to reuse old good shit then to make new bad shit. The second half of the episode made up for it though with the glorious debut of Mastered Ultra Instinct. And the direction as a whole for the episode, but especially for the last five minutes, was nothing short of sensational.
I'm just disappointed at the amount of reused animation. I don't hate the episode but I don't want this amount of reused shots in my final battle of a series. I just hope that 130 does better.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Firebolt wrote:Extremely dissapointed in Yammy for correcting Nii's scene.

Seriously, what was up with all the reuse in this episode though? They had more than enough time to do this right yet somehow it turned out like this. Apart from the ending scene, this was a complete mess.

If next week's episode doesn't turn out to be amazing in every single way, I'll be infuriated.

I personally liked the correction (I liked the details of Nii but I like the correct anatomy and the more calm look of Yams) , and thought the reveal was one of the highlights of this underwhelming episode.

However, the episode as a whole decreased in quality simply due to the reused animation...

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 pm

By the way, in the preview for 130 there's a redrawn shot of Goku from 116.

This is not looking good.
DainIronfoot wrote:
Firebolt wrote:*long post*
I personally liked the correction (I liked the details of Nii but I like the correct anatomy and the more calm look of Yams) , and thought the reveal was one of the highlights of this underwhelming episode.

However, the episode as a whole decreased in quality simply due to the reused animation...
I guess you're right, but I just would've liked to see Yammy letting other people animate the big scenes for once, sure his correction is more anatomically correct, but Nii's is infinitely more interesting.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Firebolt wrote:By the way, in the preview for 130 there's a redrawn shot of Goku from 116.

This is not looking good.
DainIronfoot wrote:
Firebolt wrote:*long post*

I guess you're right, but I just would've liked to see Yammy letting other people animate the big scenes for once, sure his correction is more anatomically correct, but Nii's is infinitely more interesting.
I'm going to be a little more optimistic for 130, since there are actually good action animators on next episode, which sadly wasn't the case for this one.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Watched it again.... Not as bad as the first time i watched it...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Nothing special in the #130 preview either...

I knew I was right to be cautious. Definitely am now for #130 said I was gonna wait for NEP.